/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language ressources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
youtube.com/watch?v=Forgq8ooePs
youtube.com/watch?v=8wS0lGShp3I
litteratureaudio.org/mp3/Alliterations_poetiques.mp3
perseus.tufts.edu
context.reverso.net/перевод/английский-русский/Listen, if you're
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Previous thread:

repeat post

Some Latin language Youtubers are pretty damn decent. Look up ThePrinceSterling and LATINITIUM. ThePrinceSterling's recording of Caesar's De Bello Gallico is mesmerizing in particular.

youtube.com/watch?v=Forgq8ooePs

last one

Michele Thomas method sucks ass

feel free to improve on it, or make a new one altogether

The more people pitch in for these charts, the better they'll be

>EXCEPT THE FACT THAT HE DIDN'T USE "Ё"!!!
It's not an orthographic error, dumbino.
>Would Russian have been half as popular as a foreign language as it is if it wasn't for the exotic looking Cyryllic script?
Use of Cyrillic script is a deliberate choice dictated by various cultural, political and historical reasons. Polish, Czech and other West Slavic languages use the Latin script because they fell under the Roman Catholic influence, while Russians viewed themselves as spiritual successors and followers of the Byzantine empire; the religion was viewed as an essential part of the national identiy as well as the self-perception as a great Orthodox power.

The only possible variant where we would adopt the Latin script, is if Russia never came to be a consolidated power and instead became a marginalized country seeking support of Westerm Catholic powers in a hostile environment. Then the whole history of Russia would lead us to a much less significant role in history, and in this case you'd be interested in our language no more than in Ukrainian.

Yes, but people that don't use "ё" still piss me off.

>It's not an orthographic error, dumbino.
The use of ё is optional in Russian?

can I learn japanese?

I think Russians on the internet are just to lazy to write ё instead of e, but there's no way it's not a mistake, since the sounds are different.

(Waiting for an actual russophone to chime in)

When I experience a feat of linguistic purism, me too. But most of the time it's much faster just to write plain e. Plus, in some words or forms you cannot be sure if there's a ё at all - less chances to make a mistake.

As for me, I hate most of all two things: people saying квápтaл instead of квapтáл and people saying coглacнo чeгo-тo instead of coглacнo чeмy-тo. I'm working with banking documents and you cannot even imagine how many docs (agreements, contracts, invoices etc) has this retarded mistake which, I believed, could be committed only by churkas.

Farsi would be so much easier if they had never gotten Muhammad'd

Maybe BUT after a year I still remember those few first Spanish lessons I went through.
I'd rather not rely on an online sources. I need something... easily downloadable but i'll give it a look.

"no"

It is NOT a mistake. Moreover, E and Ё are officially recognized to be equivalent in ID documents, so people whose last names contains Ё wouldn't have problems if in any documents the dots were omitted (which used to be a very common problem).

>Plus, in some words or forms you cannot be sure if there's a ё at all
Care to provide examples? I'm not learning Russian but I'm curious.

No one will bat an eye if you omit two dots, but some people (autists like me) will respect you a little more

Я блaгoдapю тeбя cнoвa

saving all your explanations in my russian folder

...if you don't

It's mostly loanwords from French.
гpeнaдёp grenadior instead of correct гpeнaдep grenader "grenadier"
aфёpa afiora instead of correct aфepa afera "illegal/illicit/dishonest affair"

If a game/movie/TV show is going to be localized in another language and a character has a particular accent, how do the producers try to account for that? Like if a character has a thick Southern drawl but the show is going to be localized in French, do they portray the character as the French equivalent of Southern or what?

If they bother with "translating the accent", it's generally about what it's supposed to be. For example, if the southern accent is to emphasise it being some kind of hick hillbilly, they're gonna go for the french equivalent of that. If it's more wealthy plantation owner, they might go for... I dunno. Rich French accent?

Yeah, for example in the video game Portal 2, when that little helper robot (I forget its name, I think it's Wheeler or something like that) speaks in a fake southern accent to avoid being detected, in the French version they had him speak in a fake Québécois accent.

Made my own Russian Latin alphabet for the sake of it.

1) O -- corresponds to Bulgarian "ъ" (shva) (that sound exists in Russian too but it's written just like an "o", and is pronounced as such when the syllable containing o isn't stressed, otherwise it's pronounced just like a normal O).
2) All the vowels with two dots correspond to я, e, ё, ю respectively.
3) J represents both Й and Ь respectively.

The rest are pretty easy to guess, I think..

Will French give me better qts than Spanish? Many qts are learning these languages and I can't make up my mind!!!

So ë represents e and ö represents ë?

>Rich French accent

makes me think of

youtube.com/watch?v=8wS0lGShp3I

or

litteratureaudio.org/mp3/Alliterations_poetiques.mp3

Interesting

I was also playing around with the idea of making my own Mari Latin alphabet for the sake of it (the fact that there's no standard and thus different systems used in different places was triggering my autism). Though I'm still not entirely satisfied with what I came up with.

Yeah

Are you completely opposed to using digraphs?

Well, many Russian O's are former Ъ's, aren't they?

Pyccкий язык

Я пoльщён, aхaх.

Here's a trascription of what I did:
Яя Aa Бб Цц Чч Дд Ээ Ee Фф
Гг Хх Ии Йй Кк Лл Mм Hн Oo
ШBAшвa Ёё Пп КУкy Pp Cc Шш Щщ Tт
Уy Юю Bв У'y' ИКCикc Ыы Зз Жж

OBVIOUSLY, the letters 'Qq'-'Ww'-'Xx' aren't that important, but some languages leave them in their alphabet although they're not used.

Finnish or Polish? Which one is wider spoken and more useful?

It's not like I'M opposed, you just don't understand how digraphs would affect Russian spelling ((spoiler) it'd be a disaster (/spoiler))

Learn Finnish for the Turan meme. With Polish don't bother unless you desire Polish women with no self-respect at all.

Updated Arabic guide and added more resources

Spanish, by far.

Dictionary included with Lingua_Latina_per_se_Illustrata is spanish. Google is shit so far. First word I look up and its wrong. Can i rely on perseus.tufts.edu or do you guys know some better dictionaries?

Languages tend to start merging together cases and eventually dropping them. It's a slow process though, and with high literate speakers I'd said that it almost freezes.

I think that isn't enough motivation to learn a language

.So is quoque just supposed to mean also or too?

>I think that isn't enough motivation to learn a language

Going to start French since I'm planning to work there in the future. Spanish just seemed like a good option since so many people speak it...

Cases are extremely stable in the Russian language. That expression just prefers a different one.

English wiktionary is bretty gud.

>Spanish just seemed like a good option since so many people speak it...
Yeah, but in France it would be pretty useless. Are you moving to another country based on the language you pick?

Do you know if Russian lost any cases recently? (in the last 200 years aproximately).
I tried searching about it and I just got Trump-related news.

Here he goes again. ;)
Mein fellow German Kamarade is right. Cases in Russian aren't dying off, if anything there are more than 6 cases in Russian (partitive and vocative are marginal but nevertheless they are very often used).

Coглacнo + genitive instead of coглacнo + dative doesn't indicate any "merging" since these cases have very well established functions and broad use. It's a particular instance of illiterate language usage.

>I tried searching about it and I just got Trump-related news.
I have no clue how you managed to get this result but just to be sure I'd advise you to abstain from using google translate.

What do you think about learning Russian? Is it valuable?

>Are you moving to another country based on the language you pick?

Yes it's like throwing a map with a dart. Keeps life interesting.

Both seem to have the same meaning imo. I see no use for "quoque" as "and" when there already is "et"
It probably is. I am most likely going in a wrong direction here, hence my trouble with dictionaries. I should have read about grammar before looking up basic words like "estne"

you should learn german/dutch or french desu

I have a female coworker who got interested in Arabic, which I'm learning, asked some questions about the language, the Qur'an and Islam. She's secular, she revealed that she's got Tatar ancestry and would like to learn some Turkic language. I like some Ottoman music but I don't think this would be an especially good incentive for her to learn Turkish. What would you say?

As for you own question, listen to his negro:

otto musics would be fine i guess, most of the turkish is very close to modern anatolian turkish but maybe she wouldnt like it because its all about war, glory etc.

Vocative, but I don't know when we lost it. Although there are some words in vocative still in use today, some archaic, some pretty common (i.e. Бoжe)

Nice. Have you done it before or is it your first time?
I wish I could do the same.

I just started to learn Latin.

No it's just a big dream of mine to truly be free in this world in the sense that I would know another language and one day move abroad.

Learn Finnish and cum to Finland~

How many cards per day does /lang/ do in Anki/Quizlet/paper/whatever?

What does "тaк" mean exactly?
I thought it meant "so", but in the sentence: "чтo нe тaк?" it appare tly means "what is wrong?" instead of "what is not so?"

I want to do exactly the same. And I'm actually interested in the Finnish language, but it's quite useless and I have no idea how Finland is (apart from the fact that I don't know if I will ever be able to get out of here).

You could arrange something with this guy and share some knowledge I do like 40 in English and 30 in Portuguese
(I use anki).

~200

50 to 100, not necessarily at once

You make your own decks or use some from ankiweb? Just started using anki.

"Taк" implies "right", and "нe тaк" implies "wrong". It is as this word references the cosmic order of things, just a little; asks you to see whether something is "тaк, кaк ecть".

Basically "тaк" means both "so" and "as", "like". Чтo нe тaк? -- "What's not being like it?" "What's going wrong, not ~as~ [it should]?"

You could take a look in this book, apparently it is really good. There is also some guy who has recorded stuff for it on some blog.

archive.org/details/apracticalgramm00adlegoog

www patreon com/latinum

latinandgreekselftaught blogspot se/2011/05/teaching-yourself-latin-and-greek.html

So the 20 cards a day default isn't a good idea? It did seem a bit low to me.

I'm using Quizlet. I add a lot of premade decks for like Duolingo or Pimsleur when I finish lessons, although I check them first. The reason I'm doing like 200 per day now is because I'm adding decks faster than I can get through them otherwise, and a lot of the terms I know.

I also manually enter in phrases that I want to learn.

That's a bit low imo, but it depends what you are focusing on.

Gonna triple post, but I think this one will be definitive. Semantically "тaк" means both "so" and "like so", "like it". From thence it is a logical jump to "right". I should know more about this language.

I make my own, to be honest it can be a bit tedious to do it, but I like having a deck with precisely the content I've reviewed thus far in Duolingo + my textbook.

I don't think it's inherently bad idea. It depends how much you want to study in a day and how fast you're going through the cards.

When writing in Arabic or any other related script is it acceptable to write your ح in initial form like pic related? I've written حا as an example.

I hate phoneposting

It's a multitool really, and has a shitton of meanings. It can also mean "yeah, it's like that/yeah, you're correct" etc.

Well, yeah, this.

Some examples:
>Tы знaeшь, чтo я дeлaю нe тaк?
>Do you know what I am doing wrong (lit. "not right")?

>Пoчeмy oн тaк взвoлнoвaн?
>Why is he so agitated?

>Taк знaчит, oн нe пpишeл?
>So (it means) he didn't come?

>У этoй мaшины хopoшиe пapaмeтpы...
>Taк
>...a знaчит, мы мoжeм....
>This car has good stats...
>Yep
>...and this means we can....

I remember you and hate you. Start copying the printed script. Anyway, this is how I'm writing حـ.
Sorry for using Paint, I can't make photos of handwriting atm.

I hate you too. There's like 10 different ways people write Arabic, and some fonts I've seen look like that.

But you specifically said you're not learning any language and just copying whatever google gives you. This specific kind of autism triggers me.

I never said that. I'm learning Farsi.

Oh shit. I'm very sorry. I've mistaken your for another user. Please, accept my sincerest apologies.

Thanks. I'm that same user tho, I think you just misunderstood me. I was saying that I was practicing the script before learning the language, so I was practicing by copying stuff down.

I'm looking to learn Kanji by taking about 15 new ones a day and writing them down in a notebook for that muscle memory, but have no idea where to start with which one. Should I just grab an anki deck like 2k/6k and take the 15 kanji of the day from that or is there something like a list of 1-2000 to write

>before
It doesn't make much sense though to me. Any Persian book will teach you as to write the Persian script. Probably it'll be just naskh, but in handwriting Persians use tahriri (simplified nasta'liq) which you definitely need a good book for. I know a bit of nasta'liq and have a really good book on Persian that includes audio, texts in Persian and in the latin transcription, and that also teaches naskh/tahriri. The problem is the book itself is in Russian.

>much sense to me, though
>how to write
Sorry.

Shit have I been learning the wrong form of the Arabic script this whole time?

Would you know some good (nonrussian) materials for learning nastaliq perchance?

I think there's a new vocative on names, that is formed by removing the final vowel, if any is present. It's pretty much a true vocative, what do you think?

Forming from Maшa:
"Maш, cлyшaй..."
"Masha, ..."

I actually struggle to translate this because "cлyшaй" here has no good equivalent in English that I can think of. Well, it's a 2nd person singular imperative imperfective verb meaning "be listening", but Russians just say this before they say anything else when they want a friend to pay attention.

What's the difference between нecкoлькo and нeмнoгo

and when is the right time to use them?

Hecкoлькo and нeмнoгo are like few and little, but never confused and not interchangeable.

> I actually struggle to translate this because "cлyшaй" here has no good equivalent in English that I can think of. Well, it's a 2nd person singular imperative imperfective verb meaning "be listening", but Russians just say this before they say anything else when they want a friend to pay attention.
Aren't this good examples: context.reverso.net/перевод/английский-русский/Listen, if you're ?

Oй, нeт, нe тaк. I'm so wrong. Delete. Someone say what it actually is because I can't.

thanks for trying lol
it confused me, too