Only a Sith deals in absolutes

>Only a Sith deals in absolutes

memes aside what did Obi wan really mean by this?

I guess he was being ironic.

Otherwise why would he say "only", clearly there are other people who deal in absolutes. Politicians, for example.

Absolute morality vs Relative morality desu

Philosophy and ethics are obviously too deep for you youngsters to understand

the phrase itself being an absolute, he is saying he is a sith.

hes trying to say the prequels are a poorly written mess because the writer couldn't even recognize such a basic inherent contradictory statement.

>Do or do not. There is no try.
What did Yoda mean by this?

A Sith deals in absolutes and they are the Jedi's specialty, therefore the Jedi also deal in absolutes. Which makes the Jedi the same as the Sith.

Isnt the line 'Only a sith deals in absolutes' absolute?

Its Anikins way or the Highway.

Meaning, Go with Anikin or Die

Meaning there is no discussion, not even among friends. Not even an agree to disagree.

now put the memes back where they belong.

Who knows really, the possibilities would be
1 - B R A V O L U C A S
2 - it's meant to show the hypocrisy of the Jedi, perhaps made more sense pre-cut to those motives being primers for anakin's turn
3 - shitpost about high-ground
4 - FROM A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW
5 - actually makes sense from ACERTAINPOINTOFVIEW
6 - ??????????

He was stating his own acknowledgement and announcement of his presently Sith mindset, hinting at his anger and raw seething emotion over being betrayed by the younger man he saw as a brother, who he let fall so far astray...

It is foreshadowing his Sith-like actions later on, when he condemns Anakin to being de-limbed and left to horribly painfully burn and/or melt to death. He was a good friend.

>It's over Anakin, I have a slightly elevated position relative to yours

What did Obi Wan mean by this?

So everyone are siths?

It's a play on words

"Ether Gods who deal in absolutes" 2.5

is a Shakespearean line, it essentially means to make one's will reality, or unopposable.

Why didn't Anakin just use the platform controls to regain the highground?

Why didn't Anakin throw his lightsaber? Why didn't Anakin shoot lightning at him? Why didn't Anakin use the force to jump to somewhere further away? The answer is because he was dealing in absolutes

Because the writers decided not to, otherwise the movie didn't end and just turn into an elevation contest.

Lucas contradicts himself and the entire philosophy of the films with this fucking line when Palpatine literally says "Good is a point of view, Anakin."

It's like Lucas realized his simple, black and white philosophy of the Original Trilogy and his youth have been ruined by turning into a flaccid old liberal cuck in his later years.

Obi smoked some dank kush about 30 minutes prior to the fight, gives him a +420 high ground bonus

From Obi Wan's point of view, he always had the high ground.

I love Sup Forums autism

>From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

Is this possibly the most thought provoking line in the entire saga?

Not only is it an allusion to Obi Wans line in RotJ, but it also expresses the truly subjective nature of the universe that Star Wars resides in. How can we truly know that the Sith and Empire are evil and the Jedi and Republic are good? Palpatine understood that Democracy itself is a bunk description of what is actually an oligarchy because not only are the general populace ambivalent, they are ruled by bureaucrats who serve to line their pockets.

The Jedi are only 'good' because they are the status quo, but really they are an upper class of warrior-monks who use their reputation to impress on politics and continue their own agenda. It was only when someone denied them that they began to get rebellious and sought to execute the Chancellor without bringing him before a legitimate branch of government that maintains the law.

The force itself does not comprehend such futile concepts of morality, it is a malleable, impartial entity that can be used by both Sith and Jedi. Perhaps the ultimate poetic justice being that Anakin Skywalker himself is a living embodiment of the force; conceived by it's manipulation. He is a literal personification of the ever changing balance, the prophecy was misinterpreted, he is not only the one who restores balance to the force, he IS the balance the force. In times of light he is Anakin Skywalker, in darkness he is Darth Vader.

Perhaps Lucas himself understood this the most. 'There are heroes on both sides, evil is everywhere.' He understands the truth about Star Wars, there is no such thing as good, just death and violence, War is glorified and yet it brings only pain and suffering. Nobody bats an eyelid at the serious ethical implications of clone armies, and death and destruction becomes so casualised that Luke, Leia and Han massacre storm troopers without a second thought. This is not fantasy, it is sheer horror.

wtf i love the prequels now
bravo lucas

Why didn't Darth Maul use the double laser sword helicopter technique to follow Qui Gon on the starship on Tatooine?

Because he couldn't study the art of spinning like they could, Anakin was too young

Luke and Leia and Han were rebelling against their oppressors, galactic oppressors.

There is no such thing as peaceful rebellion.

I get the point of your post, and I agree with your view for the most part, but I genuinely believe there are some very strong differences between the Empire and the 'Democracy' that came before it, which are visible through their actions.

The Empire is the one that build a Death Star and started destroying entire planets.

The governing system before did nothing of the sort.

>Sith/Empire
kill millions on WHOLE planets
exterminate non humans
unethical cloning

>Rebuplic/Jedi/Rebelion
protect planets and all species
work with non humans
don't clone

Anakin was just pissy of course the Jedi are good

>The governing system before did nothing of the sort.
More planets were destroyed by the Republics ineptitude and inability to solve issues than the death star blew up

Source?

damnn son where you find that

It was to highlight how hypocritical the jedis are.

>Only a Sith deals in absolutes

Isn't that an absolute?

The empire is fascist not racist. That's NuWars bullshit.

I wrote it myself, but people are free to copy and reproduce it on future discussions on Star Wars

was he dealing in absolute by saying that ONLY sith deals in absolute?

POTTERY

You should have put a license information in there

BRAVOLUCAS of course did you even marathon it?

The scene was about relative morality, but the quote itself was not. You fucking philistine.

It was about how Anakin talked about the Jedi as being evil instead of a more nuanced approach, but the statement was in and of itself is also hypocritical because it was also an absolute.

Only shitheads play a lute sappily

How do the Sith even manage to stay relevant if they're completely lack stability by constantly backstabbing each other and wasting resources/personnel?

>a sith may or may not deal in absolutes

He meant it is absolutely certain that only a sith deals in absolutes.

a magic tree

The Techno-Ling army *WEEEOOO WEEEOOOO WEOOOOWEEEEEE* is at your disposal.

Why didn't Anakin just use the controls and fly away while laughing and say "Fuck you Ben, ima go steal your space ship!"

This nigga right here is the 1% of this shit board.

>kill millions on WHOLE planets
alderaan was sweden tier
>exterminate non humans
not canon
also the confederacy was mostly alien
it was revenge

"And he was a good friend."

kek would be hilarious if the scene turned into a high ground battle like hitler and mussolini in The Dictator