/film/ general

ITT: we bully out the normal Sup Forumscrowd to have some decent discussion of film for once.

In other words: we get 2deep4u pretentious discussion. Eat it. (i wanna yell /lit/ invasion, but plz dont ban me mod)

Who is your favourite /film/ director that's not Tarkovsky, Kubrick, Mallick, Lynch or Von Trier? (not that i dislike these, they are just the standard /kino/dick's answer)

I would probably go for Noé, but i'm a huge pleb. Enlighten me.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Znyder/comments/4raybl/the_holy_genesis_of_capekino/
youtube.com/watch?v=-Z8TP39L0t8
youtube.com/watch?v=y9P_k4uCtgg
m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIABYS4RG8367
youtube.com/watch?v=1GQXxhHpMPs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

S T A R
W A R S

GHOSTS
BUSTERS

Korine is my favorite kino-maker pham

>google
>search capekino
>first result
reddit.com/r/Znyder/comments/4raybl/the_holy_genesis_of_capekino/

C A P E
S H I T

Either Wong Kar-Wai or Buster Keaton.

Is spring breakers as bad as it sounds or is his take on it actually worth touching for a dark humour corner?

Posting newfag tier memes unironically desu

Kino is pure audio-visual flow, kinetic: movement, film as music ie based around tempo, intuitive and sensitive visual storytelling, rather than filmed theater or possessing didactic pretenses

It goes back to the abstract nature of silent cinéma, genres may vary, it can be arthouse poetry like Malick, experimental autism like Brakhage, genre potboiler like Mann or even mass blockbuster like Miller

Other various examples: Buster Keaton, Robert Bresson, Andrei Tarkovsky, Sergio Leone, NW Refn, even JL Godard

Criticisms of kino you'll often hear is 'it didn't even have a script!' 'it didn't have a story!'

Hope that helps

>Jean-Luc Godard, I respect him a lot for how he sees things and approaches filmmaking... Some of the things in his films are admirable, however I cannot consider him a complete filmmaker. What he does isn't cinema. He uses cinema. It's like Ingmar Bergman, who uses cinema to create literature. Godard uses cinema to paint with music. (…) He is the filmmaker I feel the closest to today. Godard's work intersects with mine. We share a common trait. Everything we do relies on inherently cinematic writing. We only express ourselves through images and sounds.
- S. Leone

>[About potential Mad Max spin-off kinos]: It would be wonderful if it was someone like Guillermo [del Toro] or someone like that it would be fantastic. There are several. I would say there are three, but I won’t say who they are. I keep talking about this being visual music, you need someone very, very strong on film language and syntax. It’s not just lumping a whole lot of action together without any coherence.”
- G. Miller

>[on "For Your Eyes Only"] "It filled me with wonder because of its cinematographic writing ... if I could have seen it twice in a row and again the next day, I would have done."[71][72]
- R. Bresson, who only late in his life realized that action films were the ones doing the "pure cinema" he was searching for his whole life

I would probably say early Guy Ritchie. Seriously, Revolver was great. What went wrong /film/?

there is only one half decent film in there.

Why did they move his desk?

>there is only one half decent film in there.
Which one....

reeee fucking Sup Forums
Now that's what i'm talking about. Of those directors, any particular favourites?

Why does it sound bad? It's a great film, similar to the tree of life but way better

Cinema is a kinetic art. Action genre is, inherently, the most kinetic genre, as an action set piece is non-stop movement rather than literary dialogues. Therefore the most inherently cinematic. You don't understand the medium if you believe otherwise, or think about it in terms of style vs. substance or high-brow vs low-brow mindset.

If you wanna understand what kino is, read Bresson's essay on Le Cinématographe. He disliked typical patrician-core. Then in his older days, his little niece took him to the movies to see what the normal young people were watching. It was a James Bond movie, and he adored it. There was movement, a mix of images and sound that was unique to the medium and books or theater couldn't replicate. He thought he had finally witnessed was the cinematic ideal he had been pursuing his entire life.

Action cinema is really the closest thing we have to genuine patrician cinema these days, as it displays pure kinetism, pure cinematic form. Armond is one of the few critics today who understands this. Read his criticism about Spielberg's Tintin.

Other similar examples include:
Tarkovsky praising James Cameron's Terminator
Bergman praising John McTiernan's Die Hard (McTiernan then giving him a nod in Last Action Hero)
etc etc.

It's Watchmen, isn't it?

Whats your opinion on Luis Bunuel? He has became one of my favorite directors after seeing Viridiana and Nazarin.

As someone who's interested in the Surrealists and read Breton's Manifest, would you say it's worth looking for and viewing Un Chien Andalou?
Anyone here seen it?

>any particular favourites?
It's quite nice to see that Tarkovsky had great love and respect for Sergio Leone, and even thought about writing a screenplay for him,
despite him not making """art""" films or being appreciated by the art community at the time. In my opinion, they're the two greatest kino masters despite their different artistic sensibilities. Leone never gets mentioned alongside the "spiritual" filmmakers like Bresson, Bergman, etc. but no one "sculpted in time" quite like him.

What did Bresson mean by this, lads? Was he talking about Batman v Superman?

y-yyes you comedian you...

tfw this thread is better than all of Sup Forums in it's current STATE

Reminder that Bresson was a cunnysseur and got cucked by Godard

>According to Wiazemsky's 2007 novel Jeune Fille, she and Bresson developed a close relationship during the shooting of the film, although it was not consummated. On location they stayed in adjoining rooms and Wiazemsky says "at first, he would content himself by holding my arm, or stroking my cheek. But then came the disagreeable moment when he would try to kiss me ... I would push him away and he wouldn't insist, but he looked so unhappy that I always felt guilty." Later Wiazemsky lost her virginity to a member of the film's crew, which she says gave her the courage to reject Bresson as a lover. Bresson was known to cast nonprofessional actors and use their inexperience to create a specific type of realism in his films. Wiazemsky states: "It was not his intention to teach me how to be an actress. Almost against the grain, I felt the emotion the role provoked in me, and later, in other films, I learned how to use that emotion."

She went on to marry Godard when she was like 19 and he was in his late 30s.

Great example of Bresson's idea of cinematographic writing.

>Mauro Bolognini invited me to a dinner in honor of Robert Bresson who had been in Rome for the past few weeks preparing an episode of The Bible, a movie produced by Dino De Laurentiis with various directors. Bresson had chosen Noah’s Ark. Before I was introduced, Bolognini told me that Bresson was in a rather bad mood and briefly explained why.

>That morning, while Bresson was lecturing, Dino De Laurentiis had gone to the studio and witnessed huge cages containing wild animals arriving in pairs: two lions, male and female, two giraffes, male and female, two hippos, male and female, etc. A few hours later, Dino told Bresson that he was excited to be the only producer on earth able to bring the elevated Maestro down to earth, to produce a film with real production values…

>'On ne verra que leur traces sur le sable (One will see only their footprints in the sand),' Bresson whispered to Dino. An hour later he was fired.

I like Luc Besson because he statuary rapes teenagers and the dumps them for Mila Jokavich.

kek

It's ok user, we're here now.
If he's a favourite, could you tell me more about a chien andalou?
>cunnyseur
I kek'd

>Later Wiazemsky lost her virginity to a member of the film's crew

JUST

Gummo was a masterpiece, the ending montage is a highlight of the 90s.

My favorite directors are Fellini, Guy Maddens, Todd Solondz and Tarkovsky.
What does /film/ think of pic related?

She deserved to be stuck with that humourless autistic cunt Godard.

this is a coup d'etat tbqh it's over for the /s4s/
we /lit/ now

I haven't seen it yet. I did heard that when it premiered in a Paris theater Bunuel came armed with stones cause he was afraid of getting attacked by the crowd. Later people liked and his fear was all for naught.

Herzog

What kind of films belong in /film/? Or is this just anecdotes about directors?

the good ones
it's basically the Sup Forums thread where we actually discuss things

/lit/ bringing the patrician threads now.
In short: the films Sup Forums deems to 'artsy' or pretentious, but the focus should be on 2 things.
>good discussion
>discussing stuff most of Sup Forums wouldn't touch with a stick, so we keep the plebs out.

Suggestions on where to go after Agguire?
>tfw Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Die Erde über die ich gehe sieht mich und bebt.

Can a TV series be /film/?

Absolutely, that's what sparked the idea of this thread on /lit/

Oh my son what have ye done? is very weird and spotty but ultimately a very interesting film. Michael Shannon absolutely nails his performance

>Who is your favourite /film/ director that's not Tarkovsky, Kubrick, Mallick, Lynch or Von Trier?

Bergman
Fassbinder
Bertolucci
Kar-Wai Wong
Herzog
Greenaway
Mike Leigh
Wajda
Polanski
Mike Nichols
PTA
Haneke

Favorite I forgot to mention. Love Viridiana and Beauty of the Day. Always enjoyable watching.

Movies of the last decade that are essential kinocore?

"Oscarbait" dramas, artistic foreign films, Opera films, anything that usually gets looked over by bait threads on Sup Forums.

Can we talk about Resnais? People treat L'année dernière à Marienbad like some obscurantist art installation but it's really a very simple and beautiful surrealist work exploring the intertwining of consciousness, death and desire. The script is just so very brilliant, it's one of the only films that ever made me question the way I think about human relationships.

"It doesn't have a script" is a common one among directors. Kar-Wai had to shoot outside of Hong Kong because his film didn't have a script. The authorities demanded to see a script so he left. Most of Some Like It Hot also wasn't scripted.

It's a good film but worth seeing alone for it's influence and the countless parodies and references it inspired.

what are some other essential mexikino?

Judging by the other, you're /film/ approved so: tell me about Wajda, i've never heard the name.
Yeah, they can. I could use some serie recs. Recent one i liked was Hannibal. That last episode of season 3 was great. Brian Reitzel did a great job on the soundtrack.

Yes. Fanny and Alexander for example.

Marvel movies are really good

Disney really knows what they're doing

Did you guys see Civil War? The CGI was amazing.

Not him but Melancholia was pretty good.

Los Olvidados and Fando Y Lis. I also like the Zarzuela films.
youtube.com/watch?v=-Z8TP39L0t8

Syndromes and a Century
Winter Sleep
Goodbye, Dragon Inn
Batman v Superman
Leviathan (2012)

hello /lit/ you guys are welcome here because i-i like you

>Who is your favourite /film/ director that's not Tarkovsky, Kubrick, Mallick, Lynch or Von Trier?

Alain Resnais
Elem Klimov
Bela Tarr
Raul Ruiz
Jean-Marie Straub
Daniele Huillet
Jacques Rivette
Ermanno Olmi
C.T. Dreyer
Carmelo Bene
Andrzej Zulawsky
Hans-Jurgen Syberberg
Theo Angelopoulos
Drantisek Vlacil
Manoel de Olivera
António Reis
Franco Piavoli
Sergei Parajanov
João César Monteiro
Chantal Akerman
Michael Snow
Gyorgy Feher
Grzegorz Królikiewicz
Shuji Terayama
James Benning

>Tarr, Akerman, Straub
Good shit my man, lots of people i don't know. If i had to check out one of these: which one would you say?

Also... people in this thread like /lit/. Warms my heart. Now lets hope we don't get to much of a Sup Forums fag influx.

>sneaking Resnais in there on the second run
now you're welcome, close call

45 Years
Mr. Turner
Beyond the Hills
Amour
The Master
Shame
The White Ribbon
Antichrist
Enter the Void
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
There Will Be Blood

Pretty terrible quality but here ya go:
youtube.com/watch?v=y9P_k4uCtgg

well which ones do you know and like? I can point you exactly in the right direction

lel I saw the post above mine and realized oh shit I forgot Muriel is one of my favorite films

>45 Years
>Mr. Turner
>Beyond the Hills

Just because they're utterly dull doesn't mean they're on a 'higher' level

I watched zerkalo yeterday

What the fuck was going on?

Easily Neil breen. His work transcends all of the plebs you named, who are shrouded in a cloud of pretentiousness.

Peter Jackson

/film/ when?

I made this too long ago.

45 Years is probably the closest thing there's been to a naturalist film in the same vein as Bergman in a long time, and the performances are amazing. Was really enjoyable to see something like it today. Other two are very visually engaging and I never found them dull at all.

Watch The Exterminating Angel, my first, and still my favorite, Bunuel.

Leone and Bresson are impeccable

i know and like Resnais, Tarr, Ruiz, Straub, Akerman, Piavoli and Dreyer.

I checked out Parajanov after that nicolas jaar soundtrack, but it was at friends place by way of after 'party' and i only remember some vague stuff.

I watch my kino on a laptop and there's nothing you faggots can do about it

Now obviously.

Memory
Dreams
Russian identity
Pure kinetic telling of communism to fuck off

>laptop and phone are the only two screens in my house
>desperately want to catch up on everything I missed
>can't bring myself to watch art on my washed out T420 screen or my tiny Nexus 5 screen
>used to be a graphic designer so I'm autistic about visual quality etc

Hopefully I don't die before I'm able to afford the conditions I'd like.

This is like a Malick greentext

Good television/monitor is about $100 you pleb

Seriously, a 1080p IPS monitor goes for that price nowadays

I'd just like to thank everyone on this thread for trying to make Sup Forums great again

Not it my country it doesn't.

Minimum price for a shit display is around $250, which is more than the average monthly wage here. Plus I haven't actually received my paychecks for the last three months so I'm in maximum jew mode at the moment.

My favorite currently working director would probably be Denis Villeneuve, but honestly it's hard to nail down, while there are plenty of objective differences there are so many that get so close in quality that is becomes purely subjective. Fincher, Cuaron, Coen Bros, Refn, Chazelle, Nolan (I guess), Eastwood etc I all like.

My favourite of all time not on that list would be David Lean, although that's probably only because Lawrence of Arabia is one of my favourite movies.

Yeah, pretty plebby opinion but like I give a fuck.

plen

>Good television/monitor is about $100 you pleb
AHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHA

t. TN panel or shit tier LCD with 10% rec2020 if even that

David Lean is considered one of the best directors. Hardly a pleb opinion. I think Great Expectations is very good.

OP here, with fresh /lit/ memes to prove it.
Thanks, enjoying it myself honestly.

Almost a better response than most /film/ threads on /lit/ so far.

>nobody mentioning Riefenstahl. Dissapointing t.b.h.

m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIABYS4RG8367

This scene is really well shot imo.
youtube.com/watch?v=1GQXxhHpMPs

>85% color gamut.
>250 cd/m2
my
fucking
sides

cool, you need to rewatch The color of pomegranates in a dark-lit room and in complete silence you will enjoy it infinitely more. I once put it on at a 'party' to show it to my friend and it wasn't a good idea.

>Resnais
to keep in fnw territory check out Rivette Celine and Julie go boating and Rozier's Du cote d'Ouret

>Tarr
definitely Gyorgy Feher's Twilight, Feher worked on a couple of Tarr's films and also his Passion is incredibly close to Tarr's earlier stuff

>Ruiz
Check out Suji Terayama 'Throw away your books rally in the streets' and Carmelo Bene 'Salome'

>Straub, Akerman
Marguerite Duras' India song might be right up your alley
also if you haven't watched them yet my favorite films from each respectively are From the clouds to the resistance and Toute une nuit

>Piavoli
you will love Ana and Tras os montes by Reis and Cordeiro

>Dreyer
another one that has his own style and can't think of anything all that similar. My favorite film of his is his less known Gertrud and it rivals if not surpasses Ordet, really amazing. If you like that you can check out de Oliveira, start with Abraham's Valley and Vlacil Adhelheid

Also Monteiro is really good and worth watching, if you feel like amazing visuals watch A flor do mar, for a lighthearted funny comedy God's comedy

I like Melville and Leone a lot. Best filmmaker today in my opinion is Chazelle.

>search "ITT: we bully out the normal Sup Forumscrowd to have some decent discussion of film for once." On Google.
>it's the top result

Well done inviting a bunch of normies you fucking newfag

film is such a low brow medium, it takes like 2 hours to get a point of short story across and costs millions.

fucking kys plebs.

I fucking hate malick. Why do plebs love him so much?

>Story
>The point
Seems like you're mistaken; it was you who was pleb

Thanks man!
Normies can't stand people endorsing eachothers pretentiouness, much less if those people also tell them they are shit, watch shit and should eat shit.
I think we're gonna be fine.

Normies are the regular Sup Forums crowd that enjoy superhero films. Normies aren't going to want to talk about art films.

What philosophers influenced film the most?

I'm a giant pleb so I have to go with Jonathan Glazer and Wes Anderson.

I really need to watch more films.

That old penguin doesn't count, he influenced literally everything.

Descartes

I know posting him was cheating but it gets the ball rolling.

Is where everything went wrong for the French philosophy