Who /homepod/ here?

Who /homepod/ here?

>knowingly installing a listening device mainlining your personal info to a corporation in your home
This episode of Black Mirror sucks

I don’t see the point of these devices. They seem like any number of tchotchkes from sharper image.

these two posts giving me deja vu
i guess i am the guy who brings up how it's an inferior product to the google home or echo dot (both $50).
>it's not marketed as a smart assistant! it's AMAZING for it's size
fuck this attitude im so disappointed in apple. not only is it too expensive but it's also shitty. this is some bar-mitzvah gift shit fr, not something i want to buy. making me count the days til chrome tablet can replace my iPad and i'll jump right off the apple boat entirely

at least somebody listens to me

lmao why do I would I want a speech to text google search when I have hands

>willingly paying money to own a device that constantly listens to you at home, produced by companies notorious for their lack of privacy
Gee whiz, are you a soccer mum?

i thought it was stupid too but someone got me alexa for xmas and it's actually very cool. i use it as my alarm clock and when i wake up i ask it to give me the news report, keeps me from falling back asleep and start the brain up. also nice to ask for music when im in the middle of getting dressed. it's not a life-changer yet but i could see it going places
there's even gaming on it, it's like old text-based games but with audio instead.
as for sharing data with a corporation, i dont give a fuck. what are they gonna do, try to sell me stuff?

this
who even uses siri and google assistant anyway? i remember asking siri the weather and being amazed in like 2011 but that shit sucks

my phone literally does the same thing

even when it's face down or on low power mode?

yeah it blasts the news report to me every morning and it has a screen i can even use with my fingers!!

you can even turn on ok google or hey siri and its literally a homepod or google speaker lol

well my phone doesnt and plus my phones assistant sucks. anyway i;m telling you it's nice to be able to do it without looking at a screen. i thought the same exact thing as you before. this thing made me feel old like its the first tech product so far i didnt understand til i tried it.
also you can leave it plugged into nice speakers so the sound quality is much nicer than asking my phone for music (plus siri will get it wrong)

what phone? i know the new android phones and iphones do the hey siri shit without turning the screen on
i guess i understand the better speaker quality thing

on my iPhone, if it's facedown on a table, in my pocket, or on low power mode it wont answer.
if im closer to the iPad, sometimes that will answer instead (or not, very unpredictable, not useful).
for these reasons alexa feels so much more reliable. a) it's definitely gonna answer me, b) it's definitely going to come out of the speakers i expect.
if there were a $50 siri speaker i wouldn't trade for it. besides the fact it would probably confuse itself with my other devices, siri is frustrating while alexa is surprisingly competent, like playing a new console after no video games for 10 years.

I"M SO HIGH AND I FEEL L IKE I GOTTA USE A LOTTA WORDS TO MAKE MY POINT FCUKKKKKK

thats lame but i dont like using "virtual assistants" anyway
NIGGAS IFFY UH

BLICKY GOT THE STIFFY UH

>apple
>"notorious for their lack of privacy"
you're retarded, apple has an excellent track record with privacy (including directly rejecting the us government's wishes to install a backdoor into their devices

>there's even gaming on it, it's like old text-based games but with audio instead.
That sounds like a cool way to make games that are fun for blind people.

the "apple is pro-privacy" line is just another way people spin a negative into a positive. Google's AI is so far better than Apple's. Apple only started playing the privacy card after Google got so much attention for their deep learning shit. It's an excuse for why they can't do what google can do.
For the average person, quality of life is increased more by convenient web services than it is threatened by datamining.

you are correct that googles use of data mining and AI is better but the statement "apple is notorious for their lack of privacy" remains retarded, which was my point

i myself have an echo dot which ive connected to my main home stereos

it's cool, but the games right now are pretty proof-of-concept-tier.
it would be awesome if there were a way to load it up with the myriad classic text-based games already in existence

>What's the deal with Smart Speakers? They're not smart and you can certainly buy better speakers for the price.