What is the appeal of this show...

What is the appeal of this show, especially/specifically why is it hailed virtually by everyone on the internet as a masterpiece and nothing less, so much to the point that I went out of my way to find a bad review or anything negative about it and failed in my search.

Am I missing something?
Is the show good? Sure it has its moments, but to put it above almost everything else ever made, I simply struggle to understand. Are people really so fucking retarded, so dense? By all means everything they do on that show has been done on Family Guy, Futurama and countless other shows before in the same exact manner, with the same exact style and humor before Rick and Morty was even an idea, yet those shows weren't and never will be nearly as popular as Rick and Morty.

How else do you explain it other than mental retardation? Are people so weak-minded that they will simply regard something as grand just because it's regarded as such by others?

This is why good entertainment is so scarce, people are too stupid to deserve good entertainement when they're so content with mediocrity, fuck them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bxurk7z_AQo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP confirmed for shit taste.

rick and morty is pretty much the only adult oriented cartoon currently airing that isn't awful family-guy tier garbage

Keep in mind that this isn't Japan. Most westerners are stuck in the "animation is made for children" age ghetto and aren't used to cartoons not aimed at children.

Have you actually watched it OP?

A lot of the biggest critics are people who have at most seen a single scene on youtube or stills and assume its a generic show like the ones you listed.

Rick and Morty is watchable but it's not anywhere near the top tier of adult cartoons.

Pic related is the top tier, no question.

It's very clever, both in terms of narrative as well as the jokes. There are no adult-oriented shows that fill that niche (besides maybe Venture Bros.).

Also, everyone knows Rick and Morty is a hit and miss type of show, where some episodes are great and some are terrible. It's easy for them to forget the terrible ones since it's episodic and only remember the good ones.

>Reddit & Memey

Venture Bros is kino but it isn't really on most people's radar anymore since there are huge 3-4 year long gaps between seasons now

I would call show 'enlightment' genre, because it's about 'waking up' to see the truth behind the lies society force upon us to sustain the hierarchy within its classes and casts. To experience this enlightment you have to almost lose your life (as Harmon put it, the creators of the show came from split, pathological families), which often ends up being an alcoholic (like Rick is). Morty is being brought up in pathological environment, with parents about to split up, not caring about his feelings, so he is getting dumb and Rick is the the only person to teach him something important about life.

The gap is sad but if it's what's necessary to maintain quality, I'll live with it.

I think part of the fun of Venture Bros is its relative unknown status. There are 6 seasons, all superb, for people to dive into. I think the real issue is that it's not available on streaming services so people can't really get into it/behind it in the necessary numbers.

OP here.

Alright, let's try a differnet approach:
Compare Rick and Morty with Family Guy in a way that demostrates the formers innovation and greatness and the latter's genericness and badness.

I watched the first season and part of the second and eventually quick in favore of watching things I regard as better.

I think op is just a faggot contrarian, most probably a try-hard hipster that hate everything that is popular, i can guess that he is fat, and he has no Friends.

Also OP, why you hate Rick and morty? What are the flaws is has?

Quit*

It feeds my futurama thirst as you said, and is not mediocre

It is KINO

>By all means everything they do on that show has been done on Family Guy, Futurama and countless other shows before in the same exact manner, with the same exact style and humor before Rick and Morty was even an idea, yet those shows weren't and never will be nearly as popular as Rick and Morty.

lol, what reality do you live in that you think Simpsons in its prime was more popular than Rick and Morty now. Also none of those other shoes have season long arcs, even, which as far as big ground floor up differences, makes Rick and Morty different from at least the three you mentioned--even if you don't count the adult themes of nihilism sexuality and violence (with consequences) and the treatment of taboo topics like rape and death. The biggest difference is that Rick and Morty is from a different time and a different era with a different sensibility. Pleb confirmed

I didn't once said I hate it, I even stated in the OP that I think it has its moments.

What I hate is the fact that a seemingly mediocre show gets so much undeserved praise while other shows consequently fall into obscurity.

All it has to offer is "muh pseudo-intellectual humor", the 101 on criticizing the most obvious and bland aspects of society that any fedora wearing cunt thinks he's a genius for thinking about.

As a cartoon the show otherwise gets away with flaws and laziness because no one expects it to put as much effort into areas such as continuity, symbolism and the list goes on.

Family Guy humor = remember that pop culture thing from the 80s? conservatives are stupid

Rick and Morty humor = sci-fi tropes turned on their head in an extremely pessimistic way. everyone is stupid.

Rick and Morty is innovative. When was the last time you saw a tv cartoon deal with deep topics like family issues/divorce/depression, etc.?

When has a tv cartoon ever done an episode based entirely around improvisation?

I guess it's just too avant yard for you imo.

>When was the last time you saw a tv cartoon deal with deep topics like family issues/divorce/depression, etc.?
Moral Orel did it a decade ago

>When has a tv cartoon ever done an episode based entirely around improvisation?
Home Movies did it 15 years ago

In both cases, old Adult Swim shows already established that precedent.

So, how is Rick and Morty innovative again?

Can you really not see that Family Guy and Rick and Morty are wildly different shows?

Family Guy constantly cuts away to random gags or references at the expense of the story. It basically becomes a sketch comedy show where most of the sketches are mediocre. It's also yet another family sitcom full of cookie-cutter characters, virtually a complete clone of the Simpsons. Sounds pretty fucking generic.

Rick and Morty is sci-fi. The titular characters have a distinctive rapport that everyone loves and wants to imitate. It has some of the same kind of pop culture references that Family Guy has, sure, but it also has surprisingly creative stories that are cohesive, layered, and unpredictable. The humor is very dark compared to other popular animated comedies. And the first season had just ten episodes, five of which were spectacular. I think this preference for quality over quantity was a big factor in the show's success and spread.

There's only two shows that have even existed in this category, Futurama and Venture Bros. Rick and Morty blows them out of the water in every respect. Why wouldn't critics jizz their pants over it?

What list? You just say a lot o very personal and crappy opinions, very subjetive shit you put on right there that say more about you and your depressing mindset than the show itself.

It's reddit: the show.

I don't think Rick and Morty is innovative at all, I think it gets its success from creating the illusion of innovation however.

What this user said, as far as Rick and Morty's "innovation" goes.

Sometimes the shitty plot lines with the parents makes the show borderline unwatchable.

I love it. It's a great show.

im guessing this is a fake tweet?

For starters it is original, well as original as you can get nowadays as those Dr.Brown elements got old fast. And it was actually trying, so I got to give it credit as most can get that right.

It uses that stupid # joke wannabe adult humor that seems to be very popular, similar to Family Guy.

All in all I can't call it good, but I did watch all of it and likes some of the episodes.
I understand the sentiment as seeing things like Adventure Time and stuff get 11 out of 10 stars with seemingly no justification I find stupid and insulting. Yet these are the times we live in and things are more complex then they seem.

Like how last years shows seem so good because people don't put the bad ones at the top of last years list. But I think that is only part of it.

>seemingly mediocre

to you, because you're retarded. Go back to Sup Forums you frothing moron.

Sorry to tell you but VB by the end of season 2 had accomplished FAR more character development than Rick and Morty. It also built a consistent mythology and universe, Rick and Morty's relied on randomness and generally generic casts of aliens.

VB, by the end of season 2, had built up a cast of characters and consistent universe, both of which evolve and change. We got 4 villains with episodes of their own, relatively detailed backstories. We got a cast of colorful villains that will be developed later. We've been introduced to inventions and aspects of the Venture universe that come into play again as plot devices later. We have characters changing significantly: The Monarch, 21 & 24, Professor Impossible, and Phantom Limb.

Rick and Morty, so far, has given us a council of Ricks, Mr. Meseeks, Bird Person, and a galactic government.

It's just no contest, Venture Brothers' universe is more grounded and tangible than the randomness of Rick and Morty. That, to me, is a positive. It's especially great as the show begins to play with its universe and change it as characters develop.

I highly doubt many, if any, characters on Rick and Morty will evolve. It's a show built more on chaos than order, which is the opposite of the Venture Brothers. The order of the Venture Brothers gives the show a much richer soil within which to cultivate its stories. VB sucks you in, becomes compelling. Rick and Morty is fun for 30 minutes. That's the real difference and it's a big one.

it's like a cliff notes of all notable scifi themes so normies can feel nerdy

could you be any more of an edgy contrarian autist?

Rick and Morty isn't innovative in the slightest and is BTFO by OG Adult Swim shows like Home Movies, Venture Bros, Futurama, Moral Orel who do everything Rick and Morty does but better and funnier.

I mean to say most can't get that right
but they do, so that is a positive for them

Ffs Android I was trying to type avant tard

It started out alright, I liked it when it was just an excuse to use the character dynamics of Doc and Marty but in an episodic, raunchier setting
Then it started to do the Futurama thing where it's "deep" and "serious" at times, except Futurama did it first and it was engaging because it used the characters to tell heartfelt stories of human emotion instead of reddit-tier psuedophilosophy

Things like this get overated so when they become phenom levels like spongebob or adventure time they can say they liked it before it got huge.

Its a good enough show, but hugely overated. And not as good as classic adult swim.

>reddit-tier psuedophilosophy

You sound like a well-adjusted, intelligent person with worthwhile opinions and not an emotional, insecure retard

Of course Rick and Morty and Family Guy are different, Family Guy has its cutaway gags, Rick and Morty had its "Rick is drunk and spits while he talks" gags, you're missing the point, it's not that one is blue and the other is red, it's that both are a color at the end of the day. Both approach the same topic with a "fresh breeze" however, in the end it's the same "look at how we poke fun at this seemingly controversial aspect of society" the joke being "you can't say that on TV". Once you take away the edginess and break the show apart, you're left with bland cardboard-like characters, "random and wacky" scenerios that rely on the "random=funny" trope and a bunch of hit and miss jokes.

It's by far the easiest type of show to create, it essentially the hip-hop of the music world.

Nice "no u" argument you got there, faggot.

This is perhaps the most intelligent person in this thread defending the show, he simply admits to enjoying it just because, be it subjectively good, or just a guilty pleasure, not trying to ignore the obvious just because it's something you enjoy.

Exactly, it's subjectively good, if only it were regarded as such.

>get triggered by philosophies based in realism rather than magic or spirituality
>begin sweating and crying
>start putting "pseudo" in front of words without understanding what it means
>start spamming reddit, fedora, "101," entry-level, etc.

What do insecure 2 digit IQs mean when they do this? You can predict them like the sunrise.

It's essentially the hip-hop of the TV world*
Scenarios*
And probably some others, sorry Sup Forums I wasn't expecting this to actually turn into a discussion, a bit drunk.

Only teenagers watch that crap.

>i can guess that he is fat, and he has no Friends

Well he's in the right place

Why don't you post a great scene if you think that Rick and Morty is so funny?

I've posted this in many different Rick and Morty threads without getting a single satisfying response.

>Rick and Morty isn't innovative in the slightest and is BTFO by OG Adult Swim shows
wrong

>Home Movies
dude bad animation and mumbling and fart jokes lmao

>Venture Bros
dude superhero parodies lmao

>Futurama
>Adult Swim

>Moral Orel
dude christianity sucks lmao

Yea, subjectively good is a nice way to put it. But we have to be careful with such things as that can be said for just about everything, at which point such things mean nothing.

Honestly as much as I am not a big fan of Rick and Morty they did have some good episodes and all the more for them actually trying something creative.

The best shows I think are the ones that balance the traditional things like the hero journey with a creative new take.

Like how Star Wars could be boiled down to Space Samurai. Old traditional story elements but in space with special effects, but such reduction loses what makes it great. Which is why it is so hard to talk about these things as both parts need to be addressed and most reviews only look at one of them.

And that is neglecting the third side, how it made you feel. Because honestly there are trash shows I love, despite them having little redeeming value.

>Rick and Morty
Dude society is stupid lmao

See, I can do that too.

That scene (in the first episode?) where they're running away from those guards at the airport.

Even easier to predict are you paranoid redditards who see the Sup Forums boogeyman lurking around every corner

Forgot link.
youtube.com/watch?v=bxurk7z_AQo

Because it takes idealised sci-fi and societal/liberal conventions and plays then out lile they would in real life.

The episode Autoerotic Assimilation is fucking brilliant.

This was the scene that sold me on the show.

stop avatarfagging

Fucking hate stupid cartoons like Rick and Morty. Looks stupid, humor at best is unfunny but plebbitors can't have enough of it.

It's a good way to determine if someone is from plebbit, if they react positively to this stupid cartoon they HAVE TO GO BACK.

family guy and futurama are both more popular due to length and recognition
rick and morty only has two seasons
just wait until it goes on for a few more, itll drop it quality/people will stop liking it

I heard one guy on a podcast praise is, mentioning the Alien Simulation episodes plot and it was quite clever.
I watched that episode as well by accident. I think that is the only high point of the show.

Rick and Morty is so well received because of how likable all of the characters are. I feel like everyone calls it "Family Guy"-tier when they talk about the humor and how much Rick burps/drinks. However, much of the humor is situational and comes from character interaction, not random cutaway gags.
I also have to give the show credit for breaking traditional story structures and solving A/B plots in unique ways. The sentient dog episode comes to mind

ITT: Morons who have never watched an animated comedy outside of Family Guy and latter Simpsons and think Rick and Morty is "innovative" and "groundbreaking"

>I also have to give the show credit for breaking traditional story structures and solving A/B plots in unique ways.
Adult Swim shows have been doing this for years

This is most people's first exposure to it, though. Adult Swim shows HAVE been doing this for years, but this is the show that happened to finally hit the mainstream. I feel like most people are just mad this show got super popular and the fans spout dumb memes like, "I'm Mr. Meeseeks!". Doesn't mean it ain't a good show, though

I think you're trying to pinpoint a single element as the reason Rick and Morty was successful. And then when you come up with one (in this case "edgy humor"), it's not hard for you to name another show that utilizes it. Which makes it confusing as to why that element was so successful for Rick and Morty.

Like I said, there's a bunch of things working together that contribute to Rick and Morty's popularity.

I feel the same way about Game of Thrones, although there is probably more negativity about that especially in recent seasons (It's always been garbage).

It really does annoy me to see something so obviously flawed get acclaimed to high heaven and fans get incredibly snobby about it.

>casts
Jesus Christ you're a fucking idiot.

If you're comparing it to Family Guy, it's basically if you took the wacky Stewie and Brian episodes of Family Guy where Stewie has a random invention and runs with that concept to see how far they can take it. The way the characters are fumbling their words constantly is either really annoying or really funny depending on your preferences. Rick is basically like if Doc Brown was a nihilistic dickhead. Surely there's enough there for you to at least see why people like it.

>do i fit in yet

You really do need to get into the mindset of a Redditor normie to understand why this show is so popular.

These people have never heard of adult animation in their lifes that wasn't stuff like Family Guy, it was completely alien to them. And they can't laugh at these shows because they consider these shows stupid. They want a show that isn't necessarily smart or funny or well-written, but that appears to be to appeal to their surface-level taste. Because these people live for that mindless self-validation. They don't actually understand what makes for good writing or good comedy, nor have they ever picked a book about physics. They want to pretend they do so and circlejerk themselves, that's what matters.

Rick and Morty is just perfect for its demographic: these same college-age self-important Bernouts who "fucking love science". The entire foundation of the show is built upon the dichotomy between "silly sci-fi humor and references" and " things are super deep and tragic bro". This pseudo-intellectual "nothing even matters, I'm insecure about existence, we are all going to die" bullshit that R&M shits out in almost every episode is what appeals to it's audience. The show doesn't actually have the tact to even begin to offer an interesting presentation and discussion of any philosophy, so it spouts these edgy teenage catchphrases.

Nevermind the bean-headed, noodle-limbed unexpressive character design, or how the story is non-existent and only comes up when the writers beg you to feel something for these characters so devoid of substance, or how the entire show is a trendy forgettable scenario of the week memefest with just enough sci-fi references to trick normies into thinking they are smart for understanding them, or how the characters have somehow been reduced to even more obnoxious caricatures than before, none of these things matter.

What matters is that it appeals to the millenial redditor audience, and that's what's selling Rick and Morty

If you think that venture bros is just superhero parodies you haven't watched more than one episode.

I'm a redditor normie and all this stuff is absolute bollocks. You're just created a strawman in your own autism to try to explain why people like things you don't like. The spoiler here is that you aren't special and just because people like something you don't like doesn't mean it's because everyone else is wrong and you're a genius.

If the science part of the show is why it's so popular, than why is the interdimensional cable episode amongst the most popular in the whole series? You're describing a fraction of the fanbase

The annoying part is just to what lengths the once who call Rick and Morty out go as opposed to the "that one deep episode" or "that clever writing during that one scene" of the once who are defending Rick and Morty.

Essentially it would be great if they could realize that everything they think of the show is subjective because you must be in a certain mind set to appreciate it the way they do. Whether you like or dislike the premise of Breaking Bad you cannot claim that it isn't masterfully done, from the acting to the writing to the cinematography, sure it's still subjective but if you don't at the very least appreciate it for what it's perhaps you simply don't like the media that it represents (movies, TV shows etc), the same can't be said about Rick and Morty, it's a taste-based experience at best.

As I said, people are ok with mediocrity.

Sad.

>breaking bad is objectively good
>rick and morty isn't
>because reasons

I will never understand why some people are bothered when a lot of people like something.

You're not going to like everything, even if a ton of people like it, get over it and get over yourself. Stop wasting time questioning things you don't enjoy and trying to convince others that they shouldn't enjoy it either and spend some time with the things you actually like, idiot.

People like you are so miserable.

I'd say that Rick and Morty is well made, they make good use of tween animation

You're missing the point.

Breaking Bad can be praised for what it's even by people who initially disliked it (e.g: a person doens't like opera but appreciates and notes their exceptional voices). As for Rick and Morty however, you can't explain what makes it good unless you're a fan and thus baised in your judgment (based on this thread and the internet in general).

this is an adult comedy with real human drama. get over it Sup Forums kiddies.

its pretty awful, but as everything else, the fanbase is always the problem.

I probably would've at least tried it if it wasn't for everyone telling me how amazing, brilliant and hilarious it is. Those words haven't been used to describe an actual amazing, brilliant or hilarious thing in ten years.

I already explained in detail the factors that make it good. You can also read reviews by professional critics. They agree that the show is good and have highlighted the reasons why in a fairly objective fashion.

If you want to say the show is bad or overrated, be my guest, but to say that it is different from Breaking Bad in this way is simply retarded.

ohmygod I understand gravity now

I like how Sup Forums can only muster up, at max, 30 replies.

it's way clever than those shows
a very unique animated series

If you explained it in detail ITT please point me to your post since I must have missed it. As for critics: the show they are criticizing is probably the last thing on their minds while reviewing it. I bet you also think COD is a great game because IGN gives it a 9/10 every year. Appealing to your target audience while making a few bucks on the side=/=proper critisism.

As I mentiomed ITT already, the type of show Rick and Morty happens to be is perhaps the easiest one to create, networks get flooded with ideas and concepts for show like this every year, it's all about the lucky bastard with connections who will eventaully be picked up. Comparing Rick and Morty to Breaking Bad is the equivalency of comparing Katy Perry to Richard Wagner.

When you thingnken abut it, Rick and Morty is relly deep...
Rick is just like me. I too am the wacky genius too smart for these sheeple.
Anyone who dislikes R&M is just a contrarian

I love sci-fi.

There's not even a live-action show that does proper sci-fi. All Hollywood "sci-fi" movies are just action blockbusters in space settings.

Rick & Morty is a godsend to people like me.

samefagging, cont:

and yes, Futurama (pre-zombie) was doing it for me too. And it received all the acclaim it deserved. But it's over. And Rick & Morty is on air. Any more questions?

Pic related is confused

Yes, user, I've seen it, and it was very good.

However, it's basically one concept explored over the course of 10 episodes.

R&M does 3 concepts per episode.

Daily reminder that we had like 20 shows in the 90s that were doing "interesting sci-fi plot of the week", we don't have anything like that at all right now.

what do they mean by this?

Its awful.

Heck even family guys is better.

A shame that VENTURE BROS. is the one they stole from. Now thats a masterpiece.

if rick ins't a jew, but morty is, then morty's father is a jew? and, how else would the official twitter know about parenthesis(coincidence detector), except by being a racist, or 4channer?

literally /one of us/

No. Rick made a joke about Morty being the name of a Jewish comedy writer. After hearing about the coincidence detector, Harmon cheekily decided to stick the echo brackets around Morty's name.

yeah dude what kind of losers have differing opinions lmao

I hate Sup Forums. I wont watch anything they recommend because its garbage.

the co-creator browses Sup Forums

Not him and I never watched a single episode of Venture Bros, but character development is sort of anti-Rick&Morty, simply because one of the most important points of the show is that nothing is sacred, everything is chaotic and is bound to be destroyed. I'd say it's both good and bad for the show 0- it allows complete freedom, but at the same time it makes it stuck in time and unable to grow into something else/something greater. But I guess that's sort of the point.

whoa.
deepest lore.

>waah, everyone who dislikes something I like is a faggot!
Grow up.

Cough-interdimensional cable 2, get schwifty, and the purge episode-cough.