Prog Rock

This thread is to post your best and favourite progressive or experimental rock songs and albums

Here are some:
Pink Floyd; King Crimson; Jethro Tull, Radiohead, Beach Rats?; Emerson, Lake and Palmer; The Alan Parsons Project; Mike oldfields?

Other urls found in this thread:

open.spotify.com/album/1Z7Za4Yew8ZluOj7RZXacD
youtube.com/watch?v=12SnoydiWiE
youtu.be/duYqlrgC17Q
youtu.be/v2Ve3v0rM9g
youtube.com/watch?v=GEo8IrU5MQk
youtube.com/watch?v=MM_G0IRLEx4
youtube.com/watch?v=tJa5sxlvsVg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_folk
youtube.com/watch?v=394irXqLuQg
youtu.be/Em3HaS0GraI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anyone else listened to an album called Green by Steve Hillage?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Liked it a lot, personally. Felt it swaying a bit much sometimes though. Light to decent 7.

This shit GOOD

open.spotify.com/album/1Z7Za4Yew8ZluOj7RZXacD
just dropped this morning

bump

needs gazpacho - night, big big train - underfall yard and mystery - delusion rain

>Deloused
>not Frances the Mute
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT THE FUCK THIS LIST IS SHIT

This sounds like it continues straight out of Molok Rising
youtube.com/watch?v=12SnoydiWiE
Looks like its gonna basically be a sequel concept-wise.

youtu.be/duYqlrgC17Q

Is this prog?

SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

bump

Yes. The band isn't necessarily prog but they have a couple proggy songs.

Yes it is. Good fucking song too.

What's the best modern prog band and why is it Wobbler?

I used to think I would love prog. KC, PF and Can are my favorite bands of all time, but I can't stand Rush, Genesis, Camel, and 99% of what Jethro Tull and Yes make.
Is there something wrong with me?

Oh, and also ELP. They're okay-ish in my book.

>not recognizing pic related as the greatest prog release of all time
yes something is very wrong with you

It is in the 1% of Jethro Tull that I kinda appreciate, though.

Pink Floyd and Can don't really embody the genre that well, they are borderline not even prog. If you don't like stuff like Moving Pictures or Fragile which don't even go very deep into the prog stereotypes then yeah it's just not for you.

I agree, most of Yes and Rush just sound cheesy to me most the time. And the vocals are horrible which just make them worst.

KC, Floyd and Can are pretty different then most prog, hard to even lump them in with the others. Early 70's prog can be good but by the late 70's it become the most obnoxious self-indulgent genre out there.

What other MM songs would you say are proggy? Just a few tracks on The Moon & Antarctica or are you talking about some of the long codas on It's a Long Drive like Lounge and Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset? It's weird because M&A has a more prog feeling and atmosphere to it but it's generally more poppy and consice than Long Drive which seems more technically proggy at times with the extended guitar and string sessions.

Not that they're all that proggy overall or anything, I just think it's fun to see where that label fits.

too much hammond for me.

Jon Anderson is an incredible singer fuck you

come back to genesis in a few months

I used to hate them too, but start with Selling England by the Pound, then ease your way into the rest of their discography
peter gabriels lyrics and vocals can be a bit tough to listen to at first but eventually they grow on you

Funny how a non-prog band's first blind attempt at parroting prog ended up being the most flawless prog album of all time.

>Geddy Lee and Jon Anderson's vocals are horrible
opinion discarded.
But actually Rush is easily one of the least self indulgent of the big prog bands, and by the late 70s Yes' music was significantly streamlined.

Have you listened to this, friend?

i think i might like this better than discipline

Do people really cant get into Genesis?I knew i would love them after my first listen of foxtrot,not the biggest fan of nursery crime but the other prog releases are at the top of the genre

foxtrot is arguably their only accessible album. the rest if sounds like this weird wacky british shit until it clicks, atleast for me. trespass is a little more accessible if you're use to more modern neo-prog shit that has parroted it to death

That's a great album, incredibly underrated. Would call it better than Discipline, better than Exposure maybe.

I would say Selling england by the pound is more accessible because the sound is way more fleshed out(not better in this case)and easier to get into.Foxtrot has the wacky Gabriel singing and 20+min songs scare people

england has a lot more of the funny meme voices desu

Silence to Somewhere is an amazing album. Do you think that if it were released on the early 70s would it had been a classic masterpiece like Close to the Edge?

I think I might like this better than Discipline

youtu.be/v2Ve3v0rM9g

KC is my favorite band but I've never listened much to Fripp's or other members solo works other than a few Adrian albums and a few Levin albums (not that good desu). What would you recommend? Are there things similar to Discipline or Thrak? How about the ProjeKCts?

What about

The Mars Volta?

ThisRobert Fripp/Brian Eno - No Pussyfooting
Both Fripp/Summers albums
Under Heavy Manners

Adrian Belew- Lone Rhinocerous /Twang Bar King

Some of Levin's stuff with HoBoLeMa is pretty good. (Holdsworth, Bozzio, Levin, Mastellotto)

sounds like if fleet foxes were good

Frances > De-Loused > Bedlam > Amputechture > Octahedron > Nocturniquet

I hope that they do an anniversary edition of this album that comes with the book. I discovered this album like a year ago and I find the whole project is very underrated, the illustrations I have seen in google are truly amazing. The music is from Dave Greenslade and the art was made by Patrick Woodroffe.

I already like Exposure better than most KC. That albums one of my favorites.

Great one as well

Fripp almost has as much material as buckethead, but it spans some many genres its ridiculous. here's my favorite Fripp 'side-projects' (read: not king crimson)

Exposure is essential.

It just works

Thanks, though I have another question: What other bands would you recommend for sounds similar to Discipline or Thrak or the Projekcts?

I don't agree with you on Yes but I dislike Geddy's voice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't like the music because I actually enjoy it, I just don't like the way he sings.

cynic has this one song that'll make you cream
youtube.com/watch?v=GEo8IrU5MQk

but I haven't found many artists that really sound like fripp when they play. could be because of his specialized tuning

You weren't wrong, it really made me cream. I hope all the other content they have is as good.

Roxy Music

bump

Is there a version of 21st Century Schizoid Man that doesn't suck ass like the album version?

The performance in this vid is baller
youtube.com/watch?v=MM_G0IRLEx4

but the sound quality is shit and the album version of the song is mixed like fucking garbage.

bump

>in before REEE that's not prog

suck it nerds

I checked and just realized how the song feels a bit off, not too off to bother me but there's a few issues on the quality.
My only issue is that I talk to the wind isn't this version
youtube.com/watch?v=tJa5sxlvsVg
The quality is worse, but the performance is more comfy than the album version.

>but I can't stand Rush, Genesis, Camel, and 99% of what Jethro Tull and Yes make.
that's because they are proto-AOR

bump

ian is just an ace songwriting and a fantastic lyricist, at least in the 70s. a passion play and baker street muse are also fantastic prog pieces

Jazz Fusion, not really prog

>tfw nothing will ever top Trilogy

Can the Jethro Tull albums other than Thick as a Brick be considered prog?

passionplay and aqualung are the exact same type of music as TAAB so sure

Aqualung is definitely not prog.

>IT WAS HER TURN

*blocks your path*

What's the best Magma album? I vote Kobaia

Deloused > Bedlam > Frances > Amputechture >> the other two

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_folk

you can absolutely not refute this

We're not talking about Peter Frampton.

>suck it nerds
You surely everyone in this thread.

It's
De-Loused > Bedlam > Frances > Amputechture > Noctourniquet > Octahedron

Nice taste

Argus isn't even close to punk. Argus is like folk/hard prog more than anything else.

Yeah. Yes, Genesis and Rush are just as good if not better than the other bands you mentioned. Maybe just try them out more.

Aqualung isn't prog-folk either you fucking dip. It's not any kind of prog by any stretch.

APP > TAAB

>Oceansize
good shit
youtube.com/watch?v=394irXqLuQg

Nope
just has shit taste in music

Songs from the woods > Everything else

the lamb lies down on broadway is the greatest album of all time

Why is this always regarded as their best when s/t and Trilogy knock it out of the park? Am I a brainlet or what?

Pretty understandable honestly

True.

youtu.be/Em3HaS0GraI

Fuck you. Genesis are amazing.

Deloused > Frances > Amputechture > Bedlam > Noctourniquet > Octahedron (EP included, between Amputechture and bedlam)

My local record store has a japanese import of that album for almost a hundred.

What's so special of it being nip?

absolutely nothing, i'm sure

the novelty
ive got a jp lp of fragile with the obi strip. feels special even though it really isnt.

Hot Rats definitely counts as prog too

It's rare in the US. I have a few records with obi-strips, they look pretty cool. Wouldn't pay $100 for them though.

Not familiar with Green but Fish Rising is an incredible album.

Rush is literally the greatest band of all time.

Setna is the shit, Zeuhl is the best prog genre

Whoops forgot pic