“”””””””””Folk”””””””” music

Why did a bunch of rich commie Jews and anglos decide to pretend to be banjo playing rednecks? It seems so cringy to me

You think rich people decided to play the banjo? You're not good at this conspiratorial edgelord thing. Keep it contained to Sup Forums.

Go back to your shithole containment board.

Woody Guthrie wasn't rich. He was born in poverty and knew of that which he wrote from personal experiences.

And Pete Seeger? He wasn't Jewish, but he was middle class.

And they weren't pretending either.

You know nothing about folk music, the history of it, or the people involved.

OP is cringy to ME!

The folk music revival was mostly rich northeasterners playing songs from poor southern hillbillies, black and white, with far left politics. The communism thing isn’t a conspiracy, Pete Seeger was unironically a Stalinist/Maoist

Jews actually invented jazz, and not folk.

If you don't think Tam Lin is a great song you can just heck off

Seeger was an rich Anglo saxon with colonial heritage and came from a long line of Harvard educated musicians.

Woody Guthrie was literally the only one of them that was actually poor, he was considered a celebrity among his peers because of his actual working class background

>his dad went to college
LONG LINE OF GRADUATES
>this is Sup Forums

Folk is easy as fuck to learn and wrote. That's the only reason anyone does it.

Very few people could go to any college, let alone Harvard back then. I go to college too but I wouldn’t go around playing union songs on a banjo

What’s with the anti-intellectual as of late movement on this board? Are you Sup Forumstards intimidated by anything that can’t be summarised in a Donald Trump tweet?

I like bob dylan, who makes much more intellectual music, but Phil ochs, Joan Baez, Rambling Jack Elliott and the rest are cringy garbage to me

>and anglos
Most of the original American folk musicians were anglo or celtic.

Hey, if they didn't start the modern hipster movement, that folk music wouldn't have been so well preserved...their popularization of a movement that was for the actual poor, meant many of those poor people could come out of decades-long retirement or at least have some sort of recognition before they died and now people can actually listen to and enjoy the real folk and don't have to get caught up in the rich kids pretending to play folk (though even most of them still made some good albums)

Woody was both Rich and Jewish. His dad was at first a wealthy landowner but a bad businessman and ended up in poverty. His mother’s last name was Greenblatt

This is such bullshit. Woody Guthrie’s father was a failed businessman and KKK member.

So?
What's the problem?

Cretins attempting to discredit musicians by virtue of their race. There is nothing more tedious than an anti-semite.

He was rich but lost his wealth in bad business decisions, and he was also a politician

pretty much all of american music descends from the musical traditions of poor whites and blacks from the south, or a mixture of the two.

When it comes to jews they were more Tin Pan Alley

>What’s with the anti-intellectual as of late movement
Yeah, why is this board still obsessed with whiny indie and trashy hip hop?

I couldn’t give a shit about that, what I mean is I keep seeing stupid threads about Jews, black people and “music with lyrics is shit” over the last week in particular.

If I get rich does that mean I have to give up music?

You're thinking about his wife

Why is indie folk & folk rock so much better and interesting than actual folk music?