ITT: Artists that non-theoryfags will never understand

ITT: Artists that non-theoryfags will never understand

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sY8pCnKSSVg
youtube.com/watch?v=kG5f2w-K5jo
youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's ya boi.

collier makes music devoid of emotion and that shouldn't be hard to hear, regardless of your musical education

This
>t. really smaart

glorified elevator music

When did leffen start making music?

He knows a lot about theory but he uses it to extreme lengths and kinda sounds prosthetic and numb. Im incredibly impressed with his theory knowledge but the way he uses it in music is like adding way too much spice to a dish, ruins it.

>devoid of emotion
Wrong, sadness isn't the only emotion dickass. And either way, music doesn't need to be full of emotion to be good.

I spent 6 years in music theory (2 hs 4 college, waste of time but idc)
He knows what he's doing but it's boring and meaningless.
His entire shtick is "I LOVE MUSIC!!!!" but without context, his harmonies mean literally nothing.
He's just a pretentious guy in his room making music like math, not as art.
The artist influences the art almost equally as much as the art itself, and anyone who separates the artist from the art isn't getting the full contextual range of the art and is just shitting themselves.

For example, a billionaire whose life is literally perfect and is not wanting more starts writing 90's emo or underground rap or really any example, something with emotion through struggle.

Every note he plays in that song has no meaning, every combination of harmonies is useless, because the feeling they evoke means nothing, because it's not a genuine feeling.

And the feeling doesn't have to be just sadness, but I don't feel happiness either, I don't feel anything from his music, it all just sounds like homework.

>artform whose purpose is pure simulation/stimulation of emotion
>doesn't need to be full of emotion to be good
t. brainlet

He's literally the opposite of pretentious, you're talking out of your ass mate.

He is extremely pretentious.
He organizes his friends to interview him and transcribe his music on youtube because he's a narcissist.
He goes on calling all sorts of techniques his own after literally saying he read them in a book from 40 years ago.
His music is theorywank, most times it makes no sense and it feels cold and metallic. A million unique chord changes will not change that.

>He organizes his friends to interview him and transcribe his music on youtube because he's a narcissist.
Wrong
>He goes on calling all sorts of techniques his own after literally saying he read them in a book from 40 years ago.
Wrong
>most times it makes no sense and it feels cold and metallic.
Wrong
Once again, talking out of your ass

Collier is the equivalent of writing a bunch of nonsense complex mathematical equations and symbols on a chalkboard and having people think you're a genius because they can't understand it. His music isn't esoteric, it is meaningless nonsense. When he talks about music and analyzes it I am captivated, but when I listen to his music I am bored.
I wish this guy would transition out of performing and did more educational/analytical material in video lecture format, he is loaded with knowledge of theory but wastes it on making shitty music.

youtube.com/watch?v=sY8pCnKSSVg
I would dare anyone to find a more distant and uninterested artist devoid of any chemistry with an orchestra no less. Shouldn't this be a dream come true for any musician?

>wrong
>wrong
>wrong
>talking out your ass

great argument user.

exactly.

heh. Ive always thought the same thing

Nice carpal tunnel.

>Great argument user.
Great argument user.

>He organizes his friends to interview him and transcribe his music on youtube because he's a narcissist.
June Lee is the only one that interviews him and transcribes his work, and June Lee reaches out to Jacob, not vice versa
>He goes on calling all sorts of techniques his own after literally saying he read them in a book from 40 years ago.
He always has cited the books and places that he learned certain concepts from and has not claimed to invent any concept
>most times it makes no sense and it feels cold and metallic.
It makes perfect harmonic sense always (really shows how much you know about theory) and his playing/compositions feeling cold and metallic is really your own personal opinion. There are obvious times (especially in his early arrangements) where he throws in complex harmony for the sake of it without any regard to if it sounds good, but everything he's done for the last three years has complexities that only add to the music rather than take away from it. He also puts a lot of emphasis on emotional purpose for the notes and harmony he chooses, always relating different cadences/chord tones/chords to specific moods and feelings that he tries to express through music

You probably think Peterson isn't pretentious either just because of his "aww shucks" crap.

>its literally a song about how he's in the closet

topkek

>muh theory brings emotion
compare his stuff to even entry level Blues like BB King and tell me which has more emotion

Performance is a whole other thing. I'm more talking from a compositional standpoint. A minor blues/minor pentatonic scale doesn't express much emotionally, the emotion in BB King's playing comes from how he plays it

I am literally best friends with June Lee. I was the one who filmed both Jacob interviews on YouTube.

Ask me anything.

Convenient appearance, what a surprise, you're the one shilling the piece of shit on here probably.

What are you doing on Sup Forums? How do you know June Lee? Are (or were) you in school for music?

You just fucked yourself.

what?

What do you think of the criticism of Jacob's music as emotionless?

a humblebragging disposition doesn't make someone less pretentious, it actually amplifies the pretentiousness because a person isn't even being genuinely pretentious at that point.

Sun Ra or any free form band.

Thanks. This sounds a lot better than collier's aural paste.

youtube.com/watch?v=kG5f2w-K5jo

I dont like his music but you definitely picked the worst example for cold and empty music. Pick pretty much any of the acapella pieces, they are an abuse to the senses
nothing wrong with peterson dont know what you're on about

>Pick pretty much any of the acapella pieces, they are an abuse to the senses
I wouldn't dare.

>Nothing wrong with Peterson

Except for the fact that he is maximally pretentious

He's really good, but I wish he could write music that was actual enjoyable to listen too

you

He's a gay little sissy elf boy who avoided being bullied at school because he lived in a rich area, his music radiates a highly bullyable aura... this goes beyond sticking your penis in a mans anus, this is like negative aug#19 sodomy

This is augmented shitposting if I've ever seen one.

I really don't get where all the "hurr durr he uses theory but his music is devoid of emotion" is coming from

Is it just because he uses more interesting harmony than other people so he has to convey more emotion too? Would people say the same thing if his songs were simplified? Is it because people want to feel better about their own little theoretical knowledge?

I dont get it

What do you think of Jacob Collier as a person?

he makes poo poo garbage musik he should be smart enough to know he's terrible

>nothing wrong with peterson
lol

product of the information age where people ahve too much time on thier hands to discuss his merits. Stevie Wonder used all the same fancy harmony and never brought attention to it because people were too busy enjoying his music. Jacob would have been laughed off stage with his faggy hats and frog voice.

>I really don't get where all the "hurr durr he uses theory but his music is devoid of emotion" is coming from
How is it not the case that it might be possible?
>Is it just because he uses more interesting harmony than other people so he has to convey more emotion too? Would people say the same thing if his songs were simplified? Is it because people want to feel better about their own little theoretical knowledge?
The last sentence may be the most likely scenario, although non-critical use of technology would be the other objection. Vocoder, just like Synclavier and Chick Corea's KX5 from the 80's sound to humans like auto-tune does in a way.

Stevie Wonder created great pop songs. Collier makes below average ones

The madmen from Steely Dan did too and had hit singles. At least this kid could easily transition into Heavy Weather era Weather Report and cash in.

>Really smart at what he does
>But really sucks

How?

A dearth of creativity.

>DUDE HE'S NOT AUTHENTIC ENOUGH
>I KNOW BECAUSE I AM A VERY AUTHENTIC PERSON
This goddamn board.

Peg is as harmonically complex as a pop song could ever be and its a fucking [spoiler]banger[/spoiler].

How does it feel to defend Jacob Collier? Huh? Huh? Huh?

>tripfag

literally his entire personality is that he likes music
does he have a single lyric that evokes a single emotion from anybody?

I'd rather defend someone from what might possibly be the most retarded musical argument of all time (hurr it's inauthentic no feelies NO FEELIES!) than be the one lobbing them at him. Emotion isn't present in a song no matter how much you want it to be. Your reaction to what is being played is what creates this illusion. His aesthetic seems to exist in an awkward place which dissuades casual listening (what 99% of Sup Forums does exclusively) while not rewarding active listening on the level that Steely Dan or Stevie Wonder (as mentioned) do.

It's not emotionless, you're just brainlets responding in the only way you know how to someone making odd music.

>on the level
*visceral level

>IN MY ROOM
Just the title alone tells you what he's about, with all the faggy instruments surrounding him, it even tells you that he lives in a shitty, bourgeois, sheltered bubble where he just plays music. That's literally who he is, I wouldn't dislike him if he at least tried to be a little genuine

It's clearly his response to Respect Your Elders.

Prime example of "Genuine" and "authentic" aren't musical qualities, no matter how badly you wish this were so.

>Odd music
Consider this:

Kek never forget

You sound like a little punk bitch. I could probably snap you in half like a twix. Watch yourself, kid.

Friendo you don't really have an argument do you, are you just saying this to get an angry reaction? Also, honestly but you're a fucking retard if you think the people on this board can't stomach odd music. The same people (some at least) listen to Beefheart, Steely Dan, Jazz, Harsh Noise etc. I'm sure the reaction of people here is not that the music is odd, but that it's odd and has nothing else going for it, choosing to say nothing whatsoever that could matter to anyone other than easily amused old people.
Also,
> Kill yourself.

Based Monika poster.

@@@Mr. FRIENDO !/////SXTCE

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

you are aware that it's borrowed from a Beach Boys tune yes? Do you want to call them out for it too?

Yeah The Beach Boys were the first band of sheltered trustfund kids to make soulless music.

Trout Mask Replica

Audible uncanny valley ? I don't think I'm fully grasping the point you're making.

>Friendo you don't really have an argument do you
My premise was clear. "It's not emotionless, you're just brainlets responding in the only way you know how to someone making odd music."
>The same people (some at least) listen to Beefheart, Steely Dan, Jazz, Harsh Noise etc.
As I mentioned, the visceral impact of music has as much influence (often more so) on the experience of the listener as the contextualization of aesthetic, meaning, lyricism, analysis, etc. My argument is that because you are all children, your only real experience with music is on a superficial level where visceral impact and "authenticity" come into play. I guarantee that most of the people listening to Beefheart et al. are not appreciating him on a level that would make a conversation stimulating, much the same way that conversations about Jacob are centered around "DUDE HE'S JUST NOT AUTHENTIC ENOUGH FOR ME." It's the worlds least useful musical discussion, followed closely by "what genre is 'x' ?"

how the fuck can friendo still be the most retarded and non self aware trip 3 years later lmao

>music is easily confused with royalty free music

his rendition of In My Room is an abomination

I really couldn't give a fuck either way if it comes from the Beach Boys, and it really is irrelevant to what I'm discussing, it has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about. bitch

One of the most apparent signs that I've struck a nerve is that people cease responding _to_ me and begin talking _about_ me.

>are not appreciating him on a level that would make a conversation stimulating,
Support this with fact or be a bitch, this is completely baseless, you can't say that people have never discussed the theory of his music, and if you're arguing that only people here talking about his music in an advanced way is what matters, than you're argument is more pedantic and obsessed with identity bullshit than mine could ever be. All this other spew that you've typed out I won't even bother with.

>I don't think I'm fully grasping the point you're making.
Very simple. Technology isn't always capable of carrying out live performances and studio albums, but just the writing process. That being said, could you imagine what Zappa's Synclavier compositions could've sounded like on modern DAWs and VSTs? It's just that he didn't live to see any of it. I'd say Jacob Collier should drop gimmicks like Vocoders and Harmonisers for a start.

>Support this with fact
Citation: every single criticism in this thread can be boiled down to If you seriously think that these conversations are stimulating then I don't know what to tell you. I've had farts more stimulating than reading yet another post about how "genuine" this or that artist is.
>and if you're arguing...[shit I didn't say]
Respond to the words I say, not the words you wish I had said. If something confuses you, you may always ask for clarification.
> All this other spew that you've typed out I won't even bother with.
This is a red flag for cognitive dissonance, by the way.

That makes sense, might fix some of the issues I have if he changed that.

Please write coherently, when you guys shitpost like this I tend to just tune the whole thing out.

>every single criticism in this thread
*except the one guy talking about music and concrete things that could be changed without discussing "authenticity"

>[Deleted]

>I've had farts more stimulating than reading yet another post about how "genuine" this or that artist is.
Why do you come here then?

*blocks your path*

Believe it or not, there's more to music discussion than talking about how authentic someone is. Shocking, I know.

I can't stand this woman. She reminds me of mommy.

Why are you surprised? Aren't you aware that you're automatically drawing attention to yourself by using a trip? You admitted that you like the attention.

Friendo, let's settle this like men. You. Me. One Dreamcast. Power Stone 2.

Reply to this if you're not a coward.

He's not going to.

delete that trip, you'll never bait as hard as the real friendo

I didn't say that you cunt, I said why do you come here? You said that the conversations here are stimulating, if that's the case then why do you come here? Fucking hell you're such a cunt man

*unstimulating, obviously

Damn Sid Vicious had a really small guitar lmao.

>it really is irrelevant to what I'm discussing
no
>bitch
very cohesive argument friend

We're talking about Jacob here, not the Beach Boys, I have never heard that Beach Boys song therefore I can't know the context behind it. That's how arguments work, bitch

Should be a bass in the virgin's hand, not a mandolin or whatever that is

Don't know much about theory, but I can still appreciate how otherworldly his music can sound. So sure, thinking about theory seems to pay off in that way for an artist or listener. I think it's only right that people are bringing up their lack of emotional reaction to his music, though. That much is beyond theory but just as important, and I'd agree that JC doesn't do much to me. Even if you like his music a lot for its creativity and mastery, if it doesn't grip you emotionally, no knowledge of theory can make up for that.

It probably CAN sound that way but it doesn't