Last time I watched this thing was over a decade ago so I hoped that i won't ruin my childhood memories but damn this...

Last time I watched this thing was over a decade ago so I hoped that i won't ruin my childhood memories but damn this kino didn't age as badly as I thought. I usually hate long introductions but it was totally worth to wait those 60-90 minutes of "introduction" (which was great btw) to have this movie absolutely peak at first contact with aliens and see Gorman lose his shit while his men die.
Newt was kinda annoying because she did that stereotypical horror scream every single time she seen something scary and it felt like she was some copypasted shit.
But one thing that kinda bothered me about story was scene they asked if its "another bug hunt" what the hell did they mean by this?
>also those cheesy but legendary dialogues
Hudson was bro

Other urls found in this thread:

imsdb.com/scripts/Aliens.html
youtube.com/watch?v=qpW2AjQbdbs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Glad you likie OP. It's fashionable these days among Sup Forums users to shit on it.

The bug hunt line simply implies that the marines have in fact encountered alien species before, and actually have mission experience with killing unwanted aliens. No detail is provided because none is needed - the immediate point is that whatever aliens they may have cleaned out before, it's nothing compared to these baddies.

Another less exciting possibility for the bug hunt line, contradicting the above, is that they've had missions with parameters like these before (/possible/ aliens), yet upon mission completion none of these people has actually encountered an extraterrestrial of any kind before. So in this alternate view of things (which I don't personally agree with), perhaps "bug hunt" is just slang for a pointless mission, like a wild goose chase. I don't think so though, I just mention the possibility for completeness.

Aliens is noted for its extremely good pacing. True, there is well over an hour of relative quiet, but we get bumps and scares and we get to look at some tech along the way, meanwhile we establish our eight or so relevant personalities. So the purpose of the first half of the film is to both establish things and (a little bit) stave off boredom until the action hits, which causes it to hit that much harder.

Newt is actually fairly useful for a little girl. Also, the character isn't portrayed as some petulant back-talking snot, which was common in depictions of kids in these types of movies, of the overall era (70s - 90s: Veruca Salt as a pre-written extreme example comes to mind. I've watched a Godzilla movie where the kid calls an adult an 'imbecile' as well, stupid kid.) Okay there's a little back-talk but this is the character blowing off steam, which is perfectly understandable given her circumstances.

Speaking of pacing, are there any other (possibly horror) movies with similar pacing? You know, where it just feels like it follows plot very naturally and makes it great to experience watching it fully without feeling like a skipping some unnecessary and forced scene.

it may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel this way about Cabin in the Woods

Was the bug hunt line ad-libbed or was it in the script? Because I know Cameron made everyone read Starship Troopers on set.

Watched it already, pretty good movie too.

>watch Alien for the first time last year
>it's fucking incredible
>watch Aliens for the first time days later
>it's fucking awesome

everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg

Covenant looks...familiar. Not sure how many more times I want to watch some astronauts land on a planet and get killed off one by one but whatever, I tolerated Prometheus so this could at least be a good way to waste a few hours.

>We could had GOAT alien 3 if these cunts accepted Mel Gibson script
>instead we have that garbage and complete fall of series
feels fucking bad, reading that script made me mad because it had pretty good potential and more Hicks/Bishop was always good

I'm not sure*, Aliens is not my autistic expertise par excellence, Alien, the original (also my favorite film) is. What you've said would certainly explain the bug hunt line. You could of course also look up screenplays to start to develop your own theory.

*See this paragraph. Screenplays get drafted and re-drafted constantly, so finding a single online copy of a particular draft still leaves things like ad-libs dubious. The below link, for example, leads to a "first draft" of the screenplay. Just taking that by itself, if the line were /absent/, would at least leave open the possibility that the line was ad-libbed...

imsdb.com/scripts/Aliens.html

Except the bug-hunt line is /clearly present in this script/. Furthermore, the actual lines of the movie, just by glancing this particular script, are very close and tight to the completed work, much moreso than other scripts vs. their final pictures that I've compared. This leads me to draw the conclusion that the bug-hunt line was in fact not ad-libbed, and that if someone claimed such, they're probably lying or mis-remembering, unless Cameron himself retconned the thing into the script which appears online, which seems less plausible than someone else's faulty memory.

One thing that I've heard about the first act, is that Cameron intentionally shot the mess hall scene last, so that all the actors would have developed rapport, camaraderie, and some friendship with each other, which would then positively affect the performance - a gang of pros who bantz all the time and who know each other, are comfortable with each other.

Aliens is a good movie just not the masterpiece some make it out to be. Also while Newt isn't too annoying she's also nothing more than a lazy plot device to give Ripley a reason to do what the story needs her to do

Really gotta rewatch this
Its been ages

Something else I like about the Newt character is knowing that the actress didn't grow up to be a piece of shit, like so many others. All memes aside, Carrie Henn works (last I heard) as a substitute school teacher, and is thus a productive member of society who does not do drugs or rant on live television.

Henn is in good company with two other child actors who all did exactly one movie of any consequence, and also grew up to be productive non-POS human beings. Danny Lloyd, Danny of the Shining, teaches community college in Kentucky. The kid from the old Willy Wonka movie rejected further acting work and grew up to be veterinarian in upstate New York instead.

Without Newt there would be no symbolic scene between Queen and Ripley where both of them want to protect their young.
But Ripley story should have ended in "Aliens". Im not saying that they should have killed her but i heard they are making another movie about her story and its probably going to suck.

>About to travel to planet filled with most dangerous creatures the mankind has ever seen
>Take inexperienced Commander to lead marines
What did Burke mean by this

Predators.

Theatrical or Director's Cut?

How do I get outta this chickenshit outfit?

Director's Cut

to this day I still don't know what did he mean by that but it always makes me laugh

You secure that shit, Hudson!

I say we nuke Sup Forums from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

Thanks. This one put me on a spiral because unlike the Abyss which change as a story with the director's cut. Aliens expands its story.

>tfw you learn Vasquez actress literally has "goldstein" lastname

Some say it fucks up the pacing a bit but I think it's a rare case of an actual "Director's Cut" done out of vision and not just a cash-in, I think the scene about Ripley's daughter is vital

This is clearly... clearly an important species we're dealing with and I don't think that you or I, or *anybody*, has the right to arbitrarily exterminate them.

WRO-HONG!

he's just taunting the young lieutenant because his time in the military is almost over and he doesn't give a shit if he gets in trouble.

I feel like it's kind of implied that he might have once been a corporal like Hicks, but after he lost his rank he just stopped giving a shit.

and it's even then, given the entire crew of a saluco apparently doesn't have anyone over the rank of Lt. rank must come at an extreme premium in the colonial military, almost more like a European power from the 1700s or something.

but idk...i was in the AF, seemed they had more fucking sergeants than lower enlisted half the time....staff sergeant meant literally jack shit.

You know, Burke, I don't know which board is worse. You don't see Sup Forums fucking each other over for goddamn doubles.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection are underrated.

Alien 10/10
Aliens 9/10
Alien 3 7.5/10 (Special Edition)
Alien Resurrection 7/10

>not being aware that the entire mission was designed to fail from the start, to kill Ripley and secure the bonus situation

kys

Directors Cut definitely. I just watched it 2 days ago, there was not a single scene I would remove or that wasn't useful in some way.

it's so hard to find the superior theatrical version now. i'm thinking of just downloading the SE and cutting out the 2 or 3 long sequences that bog it down
>scene where ripley asks about her daughter
who cares
>15 minutes devoted to newts family
who the fuck can care
>motion guns
pointless as fuck
actually ripley finding burke is pretty pointless too, but funny because she leaves him

While I like Alien more then Aliens, Aliens is still a great movie that aged well. One or two of the effect shots do not work anymore, but otherwise it is a great movie.

I always wondered about the bug hunt thing too. And the implications of how many people actually knew about the possibility of alien life.

I'm watching it right now. When the marines are getting briefed, they are told "there is a possibility of a xenomorph."

One of the marines then responds, "A xeno-what?"

Another marine then says, "It's a bug."

But what about the breakfast scene where the marines are swapping sex stories and there's the joke about banging a male Arcturian and the guy responds "doesn't matter when it's Arcturian". So there is confirmed alien life in the Alien-verse? There's so speculation about how the Arcturians might just be a specialized type of human and the marine joking about banging a male Arcturian is supposed to imply that sexuality is much more fluid than it is in the 20th Century. But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me considering how macho the marines are about everything else.

Maybe it's just some planet of colony.
Like saying
>I fucked a brazillian
>It was a tranny right?

Not even the scenes at the colony prior to the incident?

I always thought bughunt meant like a wild goose chase or dealing with ET cockroaches or something stupid that the marines shouldn't be deployed for.

Especially with Hudson asking how to get out of this chicken-shit outfit lol.

it's implied they've encountered alien life, but so far just animals. arcturians are supposed to be neanderthal/ape like creatures that that live in groups

>doesn't like Alien 3
>Mel Gibson script

Please, just go. Alien 3 is kino and only plebs hate it.

Yeah you could've had another action sequel, but A3 is terrifying and a fitting end for Ripley's story without any stupid family happy ending bullshit or another gung-ho action film about blasting muh big bug xenos oorah.

You couldn't get a fucking awesome film like Alien 3 today if you tried.

The only reason that the Director's Cut exists is because of Fox.

Aliens: Special Edition is the original cut that Cameron wanted. Fox made him cut out the scenes because they were afraid of the runtime

He says "It's a bug hunt", IIRC, not "It's a bug".

I always interpreted "Bug hunt" as something like "wild goose chase" as some others have. It does kind of sound like future military slang- some grunts get sent to check out a possible site for an insurgent bomb factory, but all they find is 'bug'- nothing useful. Being sent on a bug hunt is a mission that's as productive as hunting bugs.

The Sulaco crew was being sent to a colony that had gone dark, in the ass-end of nowhere, with some crazy bitch babbling about killing machine aliens and an inexperienced jackass for a CO. They were expecting that the mission would be pointless, as they'd probably just find a bunch of dumbass colonists who fucked up their comms antenna and need a new one. When the new LT starts talking about aliens, calling them a 'xenomorph', Hicks confirms that it's just a bug-hunt.

Are you sure you're using the work kino correctly?

True, but one of the other Marines says "The one you had was male". I don't think they'd use that phrasing if they were talking about humans. If you go on a blind date with your buddy, you don't describe the crazy cat lady he had for a date as 'the one you had', you'd say 'your date' or 'that crazy bitch you had'

Had in 1980s means you had sex with them.

"I had that girl before"

More of a 80s thing.

both lines are actually in there, I think the bug hunt line comes about five minutes before the briefing when they are getting prepped, then at the briefing one says "xeno-what?" and one of them responds by saying "it's a bug."

I thought it was implied in the film that they had selected this group of marines because they had experience with these sorts of missions.

"Bug hunt" was used as a loose umbrella term for all missions that weren't confrontations with other humans.

It added more depth to the situation since a veteran marine squad with advanced weaponry were no match for the xenomorphs.

The mission was sabotaged by Wey-Yu, who wanted it to fail (or at least not fully succeed) So Burke could bring back an infected specimen, somehow.

It would make sense to grab a really shitty unit, rather than veteran marines. Plus, the marines don't seem all that 'crack' to me; they were undisciplined, talked back to their CO's, a lot of them just totally lost their shit in a combat situation, etc.

I mainly meant that the Arcturian in question was referred to as 'the one', not the 'you had' part.

Could just be most men from Arcturia are fuck bois, nearly indistinguishable from the females. Just like Japan.

A classic misunderstanding, they were only trying to help. ALM too ya know.

The plan was to sabotage the marines stasis pods before travelling back to earth. I doubt Burke would have agreed to do the mission without a good unit considering the situation was unknown and Ripley's harrowing report of what had happened.

The marines were part of a private mercenary corpse owned by the company so discipline was much more lax.

Good point

>the marines were part of a private mercenary corps owned by the company

Source?

One possible pushback is that you underestimate Burke's kike greed. Greed and avarice for acquiring the organism, unto death, is a central theme of the film franchise.

Further, although Ripley does suggest the "Burke makes sure to kill the marines" thing, I have my own reservations about this theory. Ripley advanced the theory while the group were under high stress and we're supposed to just take it at face value, but I'm not exactly sure what the Burke character had in mind and when. One supporting argument is that Burke is very confident in being able to sneak the thing home, which he uses to try to entice Ripley when she confronts him.

Also your latter statement is dubious with respect to canon, and you mis-spelled corps. Ripley does expressly point out that the military is a distinct entity from some multinational (WY), and Burke, sensing the truth of this, immediately tries to obstruct where everyone starts mentally going (blow that shit up and destroy everything).

>Turns out Aliens is a fucking great movie

Yeah no shit.

>Something else I like about the Newt character is knowing that the actress didn't grow up to be a piece of shit, like so many others. All memes aside, Carrie Henn works (last I heard) as a substitute school teacher, and is thus a productive member of society who does not do drugs or rant on live television.

What I like is how all her friends still rib her with that line. Literally living the meme.

Everyone underestimated the Aliens. Many in the Company also didn't believe Ripley's story on what happened on the Nostromo, writing her off as a loony.

Theatrical is better on some areas IMHO. I prefer not showing the early scenes of the colonists and leaving it all a mystery of what exactly happened.

I think Burke was playing the mission by ear. His plan was to go there, capture alien, smuggle it back, become richfag. Plan goes awry when aliens start FUCKING EVERYONE'S SHIT UP, but plan remains the same, just improvising anyway he knows how.

There is a lot to love about Aliens. Its the most well produced piece of sci fi action schlock ever made.

A rare case of a studio giving a lot of money to the right people at the right time with a solid script that the cast/crew were able to elevate. Its a silly film in comparison to its predecessor but there is no denying it has amazing production design across the board, slick direction, a great cast and genuinely tense action.

In my opinion the slow start is perfect too
The early moments of the marines walking through the dilapidated corridors is a master class in building ominous dread and tension with a scene.

Also James Horner did an absolutely cracking job with the soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=qpW2AjQbdbs

I miss when Hollywood actually put effort into films, even the sillier ones.

what line exactly, friendo? Now I'm curious! :^)

>tfw I had the fun of seeing it in the theater a few months back

It's a /little/ bit old and I have to back off of it at times, but her being in that egg chamber is the climax. The extreme close-up on the lead, hm oh wait whoops wtf is this, ah, A Big Metaphor!

It's played (mostly) silently. The two mamas are aware of each other's presence, and the threat that they pose to each other. They were just about to leave but they had to just do that one little thing to set Ripley off, to revenge herself upon these beasts, as a proxy-revenge against both them and the company that took so much life from her. Even the Newt character has an important bonding line during this sequence since she says "behind us!" which is subtle, but it means that she sees the two of them as a unit, now. This is vindicated by the "mommy!" plea when the threat is really eliminated, finally, later.