twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

post it here?

That's a compliment.

Do I know you

That's because the default fl studio synths sound like video game music

soundcloud.com/calin-watson

it does sound like videogame music desu

you didn't even listen to the whole thing

i was listening to it as i typed that post and it didn't really change much from about 2 minutes in

it sounds kind of like when i'm in terraria and digging underground and then the music changes cause i somehow entered a new area and some shit like that starts playing and im like "alright wtf am i getting into now"

i’ve had more than one person say my shit sounds like j dilla and it made me mad/sad

at least you don't sound like nujabes

should've pirated ableton instead my dude. nothing made in fl studio is going to sound professional

i know that feel user
try getting different vst's, vst4free.com is a good site. Don't worry you'll improve, i mean not to say your stuff is bad

>make a beat on the iPad version of Garageband at my friends house with stock sounds
>he shares it on facebook
>soundcloud rappers ask if they can use it

feelsgoodman

A friend of mine told me my stuff sounds like Infinity Shred even though I've never even heard them

>Download ableton with full intention of making real music
>Spend all my time editing monkey samples into terrible meme midi songs for friends
Music is hard.

share please

soundcloud.com/desmondwafers

kek

holy shit

Somehow it's helping me learn ableton, too

>in comp class
>writing woodwind trio
>get around 4 minutes into it, show some friends for feedback
>wow user this sounds great, it's kinda like a final fantasy boss track
>relisten
>It sounds exactly like a fucking final fantasy boss track
AAAAAHHHHHHHH

FL Studio can use any high quality sample library, and any VST / VSI. You can make professional sounding music with it, provided you know what you're doing and have some good libraries.

>get Fruityloops 3.5 back in 2000
>Spend 10 years writing and performing music for bands and on FL
>Study music at university
>Spend another 7 years writing music and learning more about theory and compositon
>make something I'm pretty proud of
>first person I show
>"wow user it sounds like Bach"
I'm ok with this

mm yeah sounds video game-y tho

All U Need would be the trippy tutorial
At Ease is the ironic final boss music
touch.mp3's for the icy caverns

kek

What's the point of using FL if all you're gonna use is third party stuff?
The biggest strength of FL is in its powerful plugins like Harmor and Sytrus. If you don't use those, all you're gonna get is FL's workflow, which is a messy garbage that promote repetitiveness with its patterns and mixer routings.
If you're a capable producer you'll still make good music with it, but if you're a beginner it's going to make your music sound like the shit FL Studio got its bad reputation for.

To compare it with its main competitor, FL is easier to use in the beginning to make music with, but it's harder to make good music with it, while Ableton is a bit harder to start with, but once you get past the first obstacle it's much easier to make good music with it.

yeah, but ableton isnt as easy to pirate

Put this shit on YouTube as an album or something my man

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Are you kidding?
Ableton is the easiest.
Up to 9.7.* you could download the complete version from their servers and activate it with a 20MB crack, and the company barely removed the links from the sites that shared them.
With 10.* I haven't tried yet, but I've seen the trusted warez releases everywhere within a week of it being released.
FL links on the other hand get constantly removed and all you can find is sketchy old versions on torrent websites.

Check audioz.download for proper download links.

Pirating a cracked DAW is much easier than the easiest aspects of music production.

I'm a fl studio user but i recently got ableton live lite 9, is it worth it to learn it/switch into it? Opened it once and i was pretty confused

Just to be clear, 9.7.* were the last Live 9 versions.

>What's the point of using FL if all you're gonna use is third party stuff?
Mostly because you're used to it. The workflow is very nice too, regardless of what you think. If you use high quality sample libraries it doesn't really matter which DAW you use. Only plebs use stock VSTs regardless of program.

FL and Ableton are both second rate DAWs to programs like Cubase, logic pro and protools so I don't see why we should argue about which is best.

It's really not that hard, just intimidating at first. Ableton has a ton of intro videos that make it easy.

>Mostly because you're used to it. The workflow is very nice too, regardless of what you think. If you use high quality sample libraries it doesn't really matter which DAW you use. Only plebs use stock VSTs regardless of program.
FL used to be my main,and one of the main problems I had with it is that its pattern workflow makes things sound "blocky" and repetitive compared to something that doesn't use patterns, and avoiding that requires much more effort than in other DAWs.
FL's stock plugins are top notch and I still use them in Ableton for sound-design-y stuff.

>FL and Ableton are both second rate DAWs to programs like Cubase, logic pro and protools so I don't see why we should argue about which is best.
Worst bait on Sup Forums right now. Congratulations.

Better than Sup Forumscore.

what makes it video gamey? is it repetitive? I know it's simple but is it that simple?

ever played Donkey Kong Country? idk your stuff really reminds me of that game
and I love that game

but idk maybe you were aiming for more epic or atmospheric qualities in your music, like you're limited by what you know you can do at the moment

>Mostly because you're used to it
I'm trying to become a pianist but I started on this shitty keyboard that's not even velocity sensitive, so now I should always deactivate velocity on all my better keyboards because I'm used to playing like this.

I used to mix and master on laptop speakers because I had nothing better, but now that I have proper monitors I'm still using the laptop speakers because I'm used to them.

When I was little I learned to write by holding the pen with two hands like I'm rolling play-doh snakes, and since I got used to it I should keep doing it.

>because you're used to it
Is never a good reason to do anything.

being "videogamey"-sounding doesn't mean it's repetitive or simple or bad or anything. i'm not really sure what it is about it, it just sound kind of like something i might hear in a game. don't take it as a negative, there's lots of fantastic music in videogames that could easily stand on its own merits outside the context of the game it was made for.

W-whats wrong with sounding like j dilla?
Asking for a friend

>its pattern workflow makes things sound "blocky" and repetitive compared to something that doesn't use patterns
Patterns are what you make them. If you use long patterns with non-repetitive parts, they won't be repetitive. If you write an entire 30 minute piece in a single pattern, it will only be as repetitive as you make the pattern.

>Worst bait on Sup Forums right now. Congratulations.
The truth is bait to you eh? deal with it I guess. The truth is those 3 DAWs are industry standard for professionals (how do I know? I know professional composers and producers that use them and who say they are the industry standard)

>I used to mix and master on laptop speakers because I had nothing better
Jesus fuck you should have got some headphones son. never call anything to do with laptop speakers "mastering" again.

>because you're used to it
>Is never a good reason to do anything.
Pretty good if what you're using works very well and you're fast with it. Having to learn new tools takes time. For me writing music is all about capturing ideas quickly. There's nothing limiting about FL, it can do anything other DAWs can do, so I might as well keep using it and save time - more time for producing.

The sounds used. Especially the very first sound in the top track. Literal video-game style sound.

>Jesus fuck you should have got some headphones son. never call anything to do with laptop speakers "mastering" again.
I think he's being sarcastic user.

>Patterns are what you make them. If you use long patterns with non-repetitive parts, they won't be repetitive. If you write an entire 30 minute piece in a single pattern, it will only be as repetitive as you make the pattern.
True, and that's what I used to do.
But that becomes a pain if you want to do complex layering or where you use different settings throughout the long pattern, so you need to make many different patterns and keep track of them and it's insanely annoying compared to any other DAW where you just put the clips on the timeline without having to deal with patterns.

>The truth is bait to you eh? deal with it I guess. The truth is those 3 DAWs are industry standard for professionals (how do I know? I know professional composers and producers that use them and who say they are the industry standard)
This argument is wrong for two reasons:
The first is that Industry standards aren't automatically the best choice, especially when it comes to fast-changing environments like technology where something might be the best and become the industry standard, then 10 years later be obsolete compared to what came out in the meantime, which still will have a hard time replacing them as standards because studios that have invested money in a platform, and students who've had their education and practice on them, are fine with what they have, so they remain on their old standards. This is the case with Cubase when it comes to electronic music.
The second reason is that you're grouping together different types of music production under a single category, which doesn't make sense in an environment where two different genres require completely different techniques and skills.
For example, when it comes to track recording and "traditional" music production (including pure mixing and mastering), Pro Tools is certainly the king.
But when it comes to creating in-the-box electronic music, Ableton and FL Studio beat everybody else, both in terms of capabilities and in terms of popularity (which make them the de-facto industry standard for electronic music production).

>Pretty good if what you're using works very well and you're fast with it. Having to learn new tools takes time. For me writing music is all about capturing ideas quickly. There's nothing limiting about FL, it can do anything other DAWs can do, so I might as well keep using it and save time - more time for producing.
I agree with you on that.
If you're capable enough and it works for you, then good. No reason to change.
But if there's room for improvement, why not try other things and expand your toolset (and as a consequence your skillset)?
I use both Ableton and FL Studio, and I guarantee you I wouldn't be half as good as I am now if I had only used one.

>But that becomes a pain if you want to do complex layering or where you use different settings throughout the long pattern, so you need to make many different patterns and keep track of them and it's insanely annoying compared to any other DAW where you just put the clips on the timeline without having to deal with patterns.
just treat the patterns as clips and the playlist as the timeline.

>This is the case with Cubase when it comes to electronic music.
Ah I'm talking about composers and producers (as in recording bands producing). Electronic music I wouldn't consider a profession (although I'm sure it is for a small group of people)

Its true different genres have different requirements, Professional studio producers use Protools, Professional Composers (as in film, TV and game music) generally use Cubase or Logic Pro when they're working in the box.

It would fit in very well in a Video game, you have potential to get a job in Video Games kid

Congrats you just invented a genre, Monkeystep

>just treat the patterns as clips and the playlist as the timeline.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. If you have to make a new pattern for every variation it's more annoying than just a ctrl+d or ctrl+drag to make a new version to edit.
For an experienced user it wouldn't be a problem, but for a beginner this means that they'll have an incentive to use the same patterns because it's such a hassle to add variation.
The tools we use shape the way we do things in many ways. It's important to always remember that (and work on avoiding it if you catch yourself doing things a certain way that's dictated by the software).

>Ah I'm talking about composers and producers (as in recording bands producing). Electronic music I wouldn't consider a profession (although I'm sure it is for a small group of people)
>Its true different genres have different requirements, Professional studio producers use Protools, Professional Composers (as in film, TV and game music) generally use Cubase or Logic Pro when they're working in the box.
But this whole thread is about making electronic music in the box, so obviously the conversation is contextualized in that area, and not in traditional production, which is a separate area altoghether with different conditions and tools.

How to I go from trap beats to Video Game music?

The droning 8-bit synths make it sound so video gamey. The melody is also not good enough to be repeated throughout the track without it feeling monotonous.. Nothing really stands out; a perfect video game soundtrack for some terraria type shit. I don't mean to sound so harsh but people call the first thing I'm proud of a shitty iPad Garage Band music. You'll get better.
soundcloud.com/omegahakim/genuine

thank you user

>it's more annoying than just a ctrl+d or ctrl+drag to make a new version to edit.
hardly. you can draw a pattern and "make unique" and bang, its a new pattern with the contents of the old one. easy variations.

>this whole thread is about making electronic music in the box
This thread is whatever you want it to be, OP didn't exactly specify a subject, just gave a story about production. Video game music these days is generally written by trained composers using things like Cubase or Logic pro or with live orchestras (or both).

>that bring me to life chorus

>hardly. you can draw a pattern and "make unique" and bang, its a new pattern with the contents of the old one. easy variations.
To each their own. If you don't find dealing with patterns annoying, then power to you.
I know I did, and a big part of those who switched from FL to something else say the same.

>This thread is whatever you want it to be, OP didn't exactly specify a subject, just gave a story about production. Video game music these days is generally written by trained composers using things like Cubase or Logic pro or with live orchestras (or both).
It doesn't have to have an explicitly stated topic.
Just like any kind of conversation ever, if we're talking about a certain topic, we'll contextualize what we're saying with that topic, and if you want to change it that's fine, but you can't start using arguments from a different topic to argue about the current one, then say "ah, sorry, I was talking about another thing", because it's confusing and everyone will take your arguments as if they were about the current topic (unless you specifically tell us that you're changing topic, which you didn't do).

your music is awful and very tackily repetitive

> we'll contextualize what we're saying with that topic
I mentioned professional composers and producers early in this discussion. When most people think "producer" they think of the guy who records the band or the artist and produces the album.

who /audacity and vsthost/ here?

>I mentioned professional composers and producers early in this discussion.
You just said:
>FL and Ableton are both second rate DAWs to programs like Cubase, logic pro and protools so I don't see why we should argue about which is best.
To which I responded that those are only better in different areas, and you responded "yeah, but I was talking about the other field of traditional production".
There was literally no way for me or anybody to see that you were talking about traditional production, which btw was a stupid thing to do in the first place, since it's like a group of people aruing about what's a good car (in the context of having a car for commuting, errands, etc.) and you came out saying "those cars are garbage compared to lorries, because professional drivers use those", and when they tell you that they're two different use cases with different needs you respond with "yea, but when most people think of driver they think of someone doing it professionally, not people doing it amateurly".
See how fucking retarded this is?

>When most people think "producer" they think of the guy who records the band or the artist and produces the album.
But nobody ever said producer. This is the shittiest fucking strawman ever dude.
The thread started with the OP talking about making amateur music in FL Studio, everyone talked about making electronic music in the box, then this post [] said FL is unprofessional-sounding, to which this [] said that it doesn't when you use third party libraries, and I responded to that [] saying that by using third party libraries you negate the biggest strength of FL Studio, to which you said here [] that Ableton and FL suck compared to Cubase, Pro Tools, and Logic (in a traditional production environment).
See how you didn't mention it before making the dumb statement?
You only mentioned it when trying to defend yourself after being corrected about the dumb statement.

Thanks babe.

At Ease sounds like some dope old school jrpg indistrial/underground area music

Didn't listen but usually this means
1. Mix has no depth
2. Drums are bad/not loud enough
3. Repetitive

I'm sorry OP but your music is really not good.
Unless you were intentionally aiming for sounds that sound like the OST to 16 bit video games from the 90s in a purposely bad kind of way its trash.
There melody can hardly be called a melody as it sounds like you're just putting random notes together with absolutely 0 knowledge of musical scales and how to use them, there is no substance to the music at all. If you spent just a week of those 4 months learning about music theory you might have created something that's listenable but at the moment you're wasting your time.

>There was literally no way for me or anybody to see that you were talking about traditional production
That's what people generally talk about when discussing production. It's only here on Sup Forums it seems that people assume electronic music production is the only producing anyone ever does. If you see someone talk about industry standard DAWs, you should probably assume they're talking about that world and not the amateur electronic world.

Its not rocket science my friend.

There was nothing to assume you retarded cunt. It was clearly stated that he was an amateur trying to make electronic music in FL Studio, as everyone else in the thread.
You assumed otherwise despite him being blatant about it?
Also what people generally do is irrelevant on Sup Forums where the majority are amateurs, so if you have to assume it, it only makes sense to assume that they're amateurs.

But of course that's not even true and you didn't assume shit, since you're just grasping at straws trying to look less retarded (achieving the opposite effect by failing laughably) after being corrected.

>If you see someone talk about industry standard DAWs, you should probably assume they're talking about that world and not the amateur electronic world.
This doesn't even make sense because you were the first one mentioning industry standards with your dumb statement in the first place.
Each thing you say is more retarded than the previous one.

And I'm talking with the assumption that you're not trolling because you're most certainly are.

can you 2 faggots please shut the fuck up or take this retarded shit somewhere else? youre shitting up the thread

Nice try.
You're just trying to end the discussion by samefagging because you have nothing else to say to defend yourself.