Ape Kino

Who else was blindsided by this trilogy?

First film was a pleasant surprise, second film improved in all the right ways, and the upcoming third looks great.

What went right? How did this property avoid the dumpster fire reboot curse?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JzruDFoBvts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's made by filmmakers, not focus groups

It's pretty much an anomaly.

Focus on the animals, compelling characters (monkeys), the humans basically died, good built-up action, great scripts.

>Cesar love human.... more.. than... ape

absolute GOAT tier cgi, a decent story and james franco

youtube.com/watch?v=JzruDFoBvts

>not focus groups

>It's made by filmmakers, not focus groups

>It's made by filmmakers
>not focus groups

I honestly thought Franco's acting in the first one was fucking atrocious and I don't understand how anyone could possibly think otherwise.

I thought he was okay, but man, it's jarring to see him do anything other than the self-parody he's come to be known for.

Everyone pretends they cared about the first movie just like they pretended to care about Batman Begins.

huh, I wonder if that means Apes 3 will be the worst one.

These movies are trash.

"need that trilogy cash"

What point are you trying to make here, samefag?

If anything it will provide us with plenty of dank memes

>kino
Stop using this word, you sound like an underage retard

But user, he probably IS an underage retard

yea i really enjoyed both movies surprisingly.

something did go very right with these movies when its a concept that could easily go to shit.

not him but do you think franco, harrelson and oldman were in the movie because they were the best for the job, or for another reason

Batman Begins > Rise of the Planet of the Apes

but good analogy nonetheless

I feel Matt Reeves is pretty underrated, which is his strength, I guess? No expectations = no disappointments.

I mean he completely flew under the radar, even in "nerds" circles. But when you look at his filmography, you see he is worth more cred. He's obviously not a high concept genius but a serious studio craftsman, who takes his job seriously no matter what the project is, a dying breed in Hollywood. He co-created Felicity, which is what kickstarted JJ Abrams' career. While JJA made it big with his high-concept mystery gimmicks, Reeves produced a failed show (Miracles), a X-Files rip-off that actually had a lot of talent involved and some unique atmosphere despite generic network writing.

More surprisingly, but also what made me wanna pay attention to him more, he co-wrote The Yards for James Gray, which imo is a really underrated masterpiece of American filmmaking but was doomed by Weinsteins not believing in it. The thing I like about Gray, are the same thing I like about Reeves' Apes: a complete lack of irony (the plague of modern blockbusters) and a complete faith in storytelling as a craft (also a big problem with modern movies, which are typically shoddily written and narratively poor and/or rewritten to the point of losing all personality, where effects matter more than characters, etc).

JJA paid him back by giving him directing duties on Cloverfield, which internet fanboys obsessed over, but still no one noticed him.

Let Me In was a redundant remake and obvious cash-in for the studios, but it was actually really well-made, with some soul and good taste, despite creative limitations.

With the possible exception of Franco they're fine actors well suited to their roles. That's an absolutely ridiculous argument if you're trying to claim these are big "movie by committee" studio pictures. Besides, they doesn't change the fact that the scripts are solid and not dumbed down. Honestly there's no way you can compare this to soulless Disney/Marvel production line fare.

second film was meh

first one was OK , francos dad was funny, science scenes were cool

second movie was trash, dropped it after 30 mins. there was just something off about me watching some shitty cgi about monkeys running about killing people. it was trash.

>that crappy 'discovery' type scene where all the apes have their happy town with schools, monkey children writing lines 'ape dont harm ape'
i just started laughing out loud.

The second one was dumb and the third may or may not improve. It still wont be better than the first

The two previous movies were two of the best under the radar good movies in recent years and are also the perfect high-budget litmus test for plebs.

yeah I suck cocks for money too

>they cast well-known hollywood actors in a series of blockbuster films that are reboots of a well-know hollywood blockbuster franchise
>this is somehow not a time-tested and good technique

I always bring these movies up when some reddit RedLetterMedia-watching CinemaSins-watching faggot complains about Hollywood remakes

Seriously, who the fuck expected the movies to be this good

A reboot of a long dead franchise with pretty limited scope that only had one good movie to begin with sounds like a recipe for disaster but ended up being phenomenal