I like this a lot

bump

>in this hole we have fixed
>we get further and further

here OP

that's more 'folk' that his other big one i guess

dark folk itself as a genre is fucking terrible

Giles Corey-Giles Corey
Patron Saint of Burned Bridges-Sorry(more emo than dark tho)
Crywank-Tomorrow is Nearly Yesterday and Everyday is Stupid
Sibylle Baier-Colour Green
Sun Kil Moon-Benji
Nocturnal Poisoning-Doomgrass (new project of black metal musician Xasthur)

most dark folk is just folk music that happens to be dark

Great pick.

>Sibylle Baier - Colour Green
that album is legitimately GOAT, probably the best lyrics your gonna find, but Singer-songwriter is meaningfully different than folk

back at you, i haven't listened to that in two years

Hint: look north

Tenhi - Maaäet
Empyrium - Where at Night the Wood Grouse Plays
Nest - Woodsmoke
Vàli - Forlatt
Agalloch - White EP
Havnatt - Havdogn
Wardruna - Runaljod trilogy

south works too
youtube.com/watch?v=ay8SxiZ_wtk

Huh, never thought of it that way. Isn't it still folk tho, because of the instruments?

the easiest way to describe the difference to me (and i could very well be an idiot) is an overwhelming sense of place is present in folk music, even contemporary folk tries to carve out a plot of land (sometimes its an impossible place like ITAOTS, but its still a place)

as much as I love Baier, she doesn't have this sense of place, rather ALL of her focus seems to be on people and relationships, which is a common enough theme in folk, but it rarely overtakes the place.

What about the mediterranean area? Not sure if you'd like it or find it cheesy just because it's in Italian, but this album is quite dark:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=3HDYSxX7DvM

this sounds good, user thanks!
have some dark-ass Greek Folk
youtube.com/watch?v=4CvLe_i8WKs

youtube.com/watch?v=YDWEz1mia1I

youtube.com/watch?v=nvbeHLkRWrE

youtube.com/watch?v=UEpuEHORk1c

youtube.com/watch?v=75FEhUE4HCE

youtube.com/watch?v=2Z9frWs7ulI

youtube.com/watch?v=rQSqQkMwDik

Have some neofolk as well
>Current 93
>Death in June
>Of The Wand And The Moon
>Backworld
>Darkwood
>Forseti
>Falkenstein
>Agnar
>Nest
>Blood and Sun

That's a really cool way of looking at the music, thanks for the explanation.

Holy... this is great user, seriously

Holy shit.... I'm not too versed on folk at all or even like it, but this Matt Elliott album is fucking awesome. Thank you user! More like this?

I'm stupid, like I said I don't know anything about this music, I didn't realize all your links were the same artist. I'm talking about Drinking Songs though, this is incredible.

Elliott is always in my Youtube reccomendations section, but I've never finished any of his albums because I don't see the appeal, it sounds very generic to me

Maybe I'm just a pleb, but I really dig the calm yet eerie tones. At least on this album. Maybe I'd agree with you if I knew more about this genre, who knows

this is not me

Don't know of anything similar to Matt Elliott, aesthetically he's my favorite artist. Drinking songs is the best of the albums.

youtube.com/watch?v=dcs5UBsKdS0

I'm still on my first listen of Drinking Songs and I'm seriously enjoying it. What one by him would you recommend next?

Nah man, the "patrician/plebeian" rethoric does not apply to folk. This genre is all about emotions and enjoying what you like

Failing Songs and Failed Songs are more similar to Drinking Songs, they don't have the same heights but retain that eerie placid atmosphere. However Howling Songs is my second favorite of his albums, it gets into some highly distorted apocalyptic waltz on a few of the tracks.

Anything similar to this?

I'm also looking for a specific album but I don't remember the artist and the title. Someone posted it two yearso ago in another thread about dark folk. On the cover there was a beach, if I remember well, pretty lo-fi. It had many tracks and the singer-songwriter was a male. And no, it's not Neil Young's On The Beach...

bump

remember when the two lamest prog-rockers teamed up and made a kinda neat folk album?

you may like sam perry - if sadness could sing