Someone explain to me the cult of A24

Most of their output is mediocre, but everyone seems to be sucking their dick these days

All my film major friends are constantly talking about how they're the best studio and everything they release is kino

Every A24 film trailer's top comments are variations of "A24 is my favorite studio right now, so I'll watch anything they do."

Is this the work of aggressive shills or is it just a meme?

Some of the films they released in 2016:
>The VVitch
>Krisha
>Green Room
>The Adderall Diaries
>The Lobster
>Swiss Army Man
>De Palma
>Equals
>Into the Forest
>Morris from America
>The Sea of Trees
>American Honey
>Moonlight
>20th Century Women

Pro-tip: Only two of those films are actual kino, and they were both 2015 festival premieres.

Nowadays films have astronomical budgets and it makes it so that the studios meddle more with the final product.

A24 have been making films with low budgets with varying degrees of quality.

Most film students (myself included) want to see the trend of movies being made for less take off, because it gives more control to the artist.

>The VVitch
>American Honey
>Moonlight
>20th Century Women
These are all kino.

>The Lobster
>Swiss Army Man
These have their fans, but I didn't care for them.

>Krisha
>Green Room
>The Adderall Diaries
>De Palma
>Equals
>Into the Forest
>Morris from America
>The Sea of Trees
Either didn't like or didn't see these.

De Palma is literally the most irresponsible documentary I've ever seen.
Letting a director ramble on about his films, only allowing him ~5 minutes each to talk about each one, without asking ANY questions does not a movie make.
Absolutely zero artistry.
Baumbach should be ashamed of himself.
It's the equivalent of De Palma just ranting in a YouTube-recoreded Skype chat

>>Krisha
>>Green Room

>>De Palma
>>Equals
>>Into the Forest
>>Morris from America

All of these are kino, especially Krisha, I would love to see it get a nomination for anything.

>Most film students (myself included) want to see the trend of movies being made for less take off, because it gives more control to the artist.
Fair enough, but can you explain:
>
Every A24 film trailer's top comments are variations of "A24 is my favorite studio right now, so I'll watch anything they do."
Those are all paid shills and sockpuppet accounts, right?

>De Palma
>Kino

t. embryo who's only seen Carrie, Scarface, and The Untouchables.

Sounds like kino to me

>Those are all paid shills and sockpuppet accounts, right?
Who knows anymore. Its completely unverifiable.

But can you explain:
For such a small studio does it really matter?

You said it yourself my friend
"kino"
Easily impressed plebs flock to what they think is "good" because of how underexposed they are to everything else save for plebeian South Korean movies

He barely talks about those 3 movies except Carrie maybe. I've seen most his stuff even Passion which I found to be a total fucking cocktease, what kinda film advertises itself as a lesbian thriller and has no fucking lesbian shit in it at all? I going off the point here.

They have a really good track record.

If you've ever read anything about De Palma or seen his filmography, you don't learn ANYTHING new.
If Baumbach's strategy was to just have De Palma talk to the camera without any prompts whatsoever, it would have been better to have recorded lengthy conversations on Skype or something for YouTube or Vimeo instead of compiling measly soundbites into a joke of a "film" that he would charge people money to see.
And playing up the "Holy Mackerel" line to infantilize him--fucking disgraceful.

>He barely talks about those 3 movies except Carrie maybe.
Baumbach lets him spend more time talking about The Untouchables than any other film, just because it's "popular," even though it's utter shit.

Go watch a nature documentary if you want to learn something. Cinema is for feeling, not learning facts.

You're absolutely right--and you don't "feel" anything while watching De Palma because it's a sorry excuse of a "film"; it's a glorified YouTube tribute video.

YouTube is the last bastion for free expression these days. No wonder Marker spent his last year's uploading his clips there.

>the trend of movies being made for less take off

... yea, the first 80 years of film were completely dominated by massive budgets. Independent and low-budget quality films are something that have ONLY just now started this decade.

They take chances on "original" stories and give the directors room to breathe.

Not everything they put out is incredible, but compared to the onslaught of shitty big-budget blockbusters, boilerplate Academy fluff, assembly-line Marvel dreck, turgid overstuffed DC """kino""", and cheap Lowest Common Denominator horror flicks; they're making goddamned masterpieces.

They're trying and that's what matters.

anyone have any budget data on A24's movies? All I can find is in the 5-15 million range, which means it's just another shell studio like fox searchlight, sony pictures classics, paramount vantage, etc, thus exists only to raise the barrier for entry for independent film and undermine the credibility of legitimately independent work by setting genre expectations/requirements.

There's a difference between production companies and distributors you fucking tards

They distribute dishonest arthouse flicks for people too dumb to get into European cinema

>dishonest
This is the new Sup Forums buzzword, huh? What, did you faggots just now discover Armond White?

>They distribute dishonest arthouse flicks for people too dumb to get into European cinema
This.
I miss New Yorker Films :(

a24 does both

They're based. Can't wait for the gayniggerkino torrent to finally drop.

Looks like reddit found an ebin new buzzword.

All film is dishonest. What matters is how forgiving you are.

The only movies it's produced are Moonlight and that Roman Coppola, Charlie Sheen shitshow

Where did I say that low budget movies had never been done before? This is why the school days need to be longer.

You're acting like anyone here knows anything about how films are made

Krisha is immensely great. More people need to see it.

it was good

A24 released it DVD only for some reason though, if they can't be arsed to do a Blu-Ray I doubt they'll put any effort into an Oscar campaign unfortunately.

Seriously though it's 2017 why is this and The Handmaiden getting DVD only releases? Don't people care about what they watch shit on.

Into the Forest was disappointing because it doesn't include the sister-incest scene from the book ;_;

t. didn't watch the deleted scenes

It's not low budget though. It seems films today are either made for $3 million or $300 million.

Films with $20 million budgets are pretty rare now.

Half the movies with an A24 logo are in that range.

Wait, really???
I watched a torrented copy that lacked such things.

Thats my point, thats why people like A24

point being there are a lot of mid-range movies being made, as mid-range is what you're talking about, and mid-range isn't new and it definitely isn't unique to A24 right now.

Anyone else like The Monster?

Oasis: Supersonic was pretty good

>watching a movie on amazon prime
>see this logo
Every fucking time.

What would you prefer? Gravitas Ventures? Bleh.

De Palma is pretty great, should be required viewing for Sup Forums.

Every one of those is shit. None will be remembered. Pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap. Not interested. You can't manufacture a renaissance. They're just throwing shit at the wall.

Why would you delete something like that when it's the punchline of the entire premise? Why the fuck else would anyone want to watch it?

Nah, it's about a failed meme dingus. De Palma's made some interesting films but the aggregate of his work is too crappy to reclaim the entire ouevre.

They have a well above average track record for a distributor, and have the clout to put some of their films into multiplexes where people can actually see them. Most of the time indie films are relegated to the arthouse ghetto in college cities nothing more, so just being seen regardless of quality is a huge part of their reputation

Mostly this. A24 is somewhere between indie and blockbuster. The director, actors etc. seem to have a lot of creative control and so get to do things that a Sony producer might find "weird"

It's not a ghetto - it's where you could always expect to see the most serious stuff.

So somewhere between worthwhile and futile, ie., not worthwhile. That's what I think too.

the only movie from them i've seen is the witch and it was kino

>ex machina
>Room
>The Witch
>Green Room
>swiss army man

For only being a company for four years, thats pretty good