Sampling

How 2 sample? Where do you source your cuts?

Other urls found in this thread:

samples.kb6.de/
soundcloud.com/freddie-floyd/city-is-mine-prod-freddie
soundcloud.com/kingscountylighthouse/confluence
soundcloud.com/kingscountylighthouse/collector
soundcloud.com/kingscountylighthouse/interstellar-pusher-preview
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/mancini
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/criminal-slang-mix
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/head-up-high
youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-e42IFCL0&feature=youtu.be
soundcloud.com/kingscountylighthouse/good-couple)
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/word-up-magazine
youtube.com/watch?v=zM_fBMPpYpc
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/slam
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/album/my-belly-full-of-precious-water-continuous-mix
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/album/less-than-zero
youtube.com/watch?v=nf-ezeOzNNw
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/deep-cover
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just a take a snippet of a song/thread

Doesnt matter where you get the sample or what you sample OP
its about skillfully using the sample in your song (i.e actually adding something to the sample rather than just putting drums over it willy nilly)
if you dont have a good ear or talent/skill at all your songs will be shit.

step 1) this is all your drum machine samples youd ever need desu samples.kb6.de/

step 2) generate some saw waves with audacity. this is useful for creating actual bass lines and synth leads maybe. you loop the saw wave sample, assign to pad, hit 16 levels->note variation->tuning, play with the filter settings. boom you got a synth bass ready for your beat

step 3) go to the city and come back with a stack of vinyl. You ought to be able to squeeze a beat out of almost any record with ease like this:

sample 7 seconds phrase.
pad parameters:
note off
open window on the attack
set velocity ->volume: 0
set velocity ->start: 100
assign 7 seconds phrase to pad
hit 16 levels
assign to pad for velocity
play around with an autochopped phrase sometimes you get lucky

Rockist can't comprehend this idea.

Vinyl Only. Some field recordings.

>sampling threads

There's a couple ways to go about it:

>loops
You take a portion of a song you like and loop it. Add drums and bass.

>one shots
Usually something with a high attack and low duration that you want. Let's say a scream from a song or something. These are different from loops because you don't want these samples repeated ad nauseam so you strategically time them at certain points in your song.

>Chops
You chop your desired sample into one shot segments that you play on a midi keyboard similar to an instrument. For maximum efficiency, reverb is NEEDED so your chops dont sound like shit.

>Reverse
You take the sample and reverse it. Very fun

>Sidechaining
Your sample has a pumping effect like it's jumping up and down. I use this on long notes.

What i recommend doing before sampling is you warp/beatmatch your sample to a master tempo so it's synced to whatever you wish to do.

Here's a track I made where I sampled the Metal Gear Solid theme and completely flipped it.

soundcloud.com/freddie-floyd/city-is-mine-prod-freddie

I love sampling. It's my favorite thing about making music. It's an artform in it of itself. You can ask me anything regarding the topic. I'm happy to help.

>soundcloud.com/freddie-floyd/city-is-mine-prod-freddie
I can probably help you out in the way of beats.
I don't really fux with trap like you do, but I can provide micro-sampled beats of up to 30 unique 1.5 second samples, all vinyl, no computers used at ALL.

I avoid looping and construct my breaks and melodies from hits.

Pic Related is my pro tools.

soundcloud.com/kingscountylighthouse/confluence

How do I sample on logic pro? I've had it for like a year and I still use the most basic way of sampling, cutting and stretching, and AUPitch shifting everything. I don't know how to use the sampler

where can i get one of your pic related cheap?

Everywhere i go, they're expensive af

I would love to work with beats that you've made.

>soundcloud.com/kingscountylighthouse/confluence

This is a fucking masterpiece dude. This is all vinyl???? WITH THIRTY DIFFERENT SAMPLES? That's nothing short of amazing, man. Your setup is quite nice too. That's a LOT of nice gear. How long have you been doing this?

I would be honored to work with you. Your productions overflow with emotion and I can feel the expertise. Thank you so much.

i sampled that one cp thread once and now i'll probably go to jail

Oh yeah, dude. That's nothing. My best conceptual shit goes up 200 samples - each under 2 seconds - 5 different synths, 4 drum machines, turntables and strange vinyl.

I sent you the wrong song - It's only 15-20 records. Here, this is better.

soundcloud.com/kingscountylighthouse/collector

That's a LOT more weird shit, from a long intro sourced outta Fear & loathing (made it fit the beat), to individual phonemes of chinese singers rearranged into indecipherable arias, Rhodes chords, pimp funk guitars, reconstructed breaks, 2 chord changes (IIRC) and the whole thing is a recording of a live performance. All my tracks are.

This is the breed of trap I can flip. It's above radio grade, but I don't really like making it.
soundcloud.com/kingscountylighthouse/interstellar-pusher-preview

I'm also an accomplished tablist. what you want to go after? what sound?

Great post, and congrats on being the only one to share anything of note so far.

Awesome link!: samples.kb6.de/

Any more advice or links?

This is amazing. This is Madlib tier right here. I’m loving your material. You’ve got it all: Your trap is amazing, your boombap hits, your ambient is relaxing.

The type of sound I’m trying to go after is melodic, nostalgic, and reminiscent with vintage drum machines and obscure Japanese samples (some from anime) I like beat switches a whole lot too.

Great! I been fuxing with a "genre" of my own invention for over a decade now. It's the sonata form or the three act form applied to different beats that complement one another and tell a story. Some of these take me years to write. Literally.

Problem is, they keep scaring away MC's. Really!
Shit's too long!

I actually have an unfinished 9 minute single on my digital 8 track ATM - it features Vordal Mega, Vast Aire, Planet Asia and two others. Been a while. But How i would love it if ONE good MC told a story throughout. I don't need 7 verses from 7 rappers. I need a movie in our listener's head.

kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/mancini

55-60 sources. Live turntable work. lots of atmosphere. Its about sampling, as a sacred art form. How the records find us and give themselves to us. How sampling is misunderstood.1.5 years minimum, daily work.

The other one I oughta show you is this:
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/criminal-slang-mix

If you can handle this sorta shit I'm down.

Proof of my turntable skills is all over, but heres a good one.
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/head-up-high

Can we just start a sample general? /prod/ is trash, and the soundcloud threads are clearly getting sick of us posting shit there. This is the best thread on Sup Forums rn

/sample/ needs to happen

What's the image gonna be?

Find your own samples. You don't share that shit.

this discussion made me happy

yeah lets also have synth programming general, drum patterns general and reverb settings general

Me too.

Best I had in a while.

not toshare samples, to share work and finished products. kinda like /prod/ and soundcloud threads but for sample based music only and not cancer.
also tips for better production like this.

SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU U U U U U UUU U U U SSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGANG

Dude I love your beat sonatas. This is fucking art.

And yes I would LOVE TO DO THAT!!! I’d be honored. I’ve been wanting to make a song for years with constantly shifting samples underneath a beat. Your idea inspires me. I’m definitely down to tell a story like a movie on a song.

This is probably my best project to date. It used six different samples and has about four beat switches. I loved the song so much I even made a video to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-e42IFCL0&feature=youtu.be

The image for this op is pretty good

I know a lot of little tricks with sampling, gleaned from years of writing 5 tracks with 100 seconds or less.
I'll share samples with ppl who are earnest and talented and deserve the fruits of my decades. I literally have thousands of amazing samples via vinyls from all over the world.
Most of my samples are one shots, tho. I string them together to form melodic structures.

I can flex with FM synthesis, Additive/Subtractive, wavetable synthesis, digital synthesis, physical modeling synths, speech synthesis from scratch and I synth pretty much every drum hit I use - only major exception is sampled drum hits.
Nobody has my snare samples. I got breakbeats from China, from Cambodia, Brazil, Poland, India, Bangladesh, Africa and several other latin american nations.
I can stitch individual vocal sounds together to make a singer chant something she never did.

Randomly tuning around on radio until something strikes me as interesting.

SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG

I'm legit excited as fuck now

Freeform whatever you do end up writing to my sonata shite - let the mood of the beats take you to a story. There's like, a story underneath them tracks that's open ended. It's my gimmick, helps people get sucked in quick, because they can free associate. Jungian collective unconscious, etc.

So let yerself go. I can handle a mic decently well myself
(soundcloud.com/kingscountylighthouse/good-couple) if need be, do adlibs and shit, whatever. I can stack my own voice into a crew if I need to.

If this works with us, maaayyyybe you might work with me on my 40 minute 20+change magnum opus one day. It's about a BPD art hoe that hurt my bitch ass but never does state that out loud obv....

checking yer shite now.

I’m excited too my G. Can’t wait to work. Let me know what you think of my material too.

You seem pretty experienced
Ive been trying my hand at plunderphonics for a bit now but I don't really much in the way of influences
Just j dilla,madlib,etc.
Any artist in the game right now you'd reccomend listening to in terms of plunderphonics?

Best thread in Sup Forums rn. Good stuff being posted here.

Dude, we can do this. With that VT-3 voice transformer on deck we can slaughter it. Outdo the Goldie chorus? Sure. Daft Punk upstaged? Sure.

If you're down and we get rapport, I'll ship you the fucking thing.

We can do this, I got this. I won't sound exactly like this, but I wont sound like anything else, either.

That change up is like some 80's miami shit. Clever because you're shifting moods in the melodies to capture the emotional ups and downs of the relationship, which could be with either music, a girl or an addiction.

Right off the bat? I'd slip in whispered adlibs as climactic points approach. and there's a break...
"another 4 Z's / entire body whispering my needs"
but whispered. or underneath the chorus, really quiet like, in both ears? "Smoke dust. Run pockets. Rob your dealer. Drug yourself until the clouds fade"

I have a loop from an old song I don't remember that's got a bass line, drums, and a singer saying "I love you/god created you/Can't live without you/I'm addicted to my hole"

In any case, you're halfway to narrative form already, it would seem. I've done a few alternating moods setups too. This is about the "will i make it or fail?" question.

kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/word-up-magazine

don't lemme jam tracks at you, but that major minor shift is such a carte blanche for creative risk.

Thank you so much for the feedback. Hell yeah let’s upstage daft punk and outdo Rocky. I’m down as fuck. This is crazy. Im gonna DM you when I get the chance. Right now I’m at my day job but I’ll hit you up when I get home. This is gonna be the start of something beautiful. I can tell. Thank you so much. I’m gonna keep listening to your catalogue for inspiration on the drive home.

Avalanches taught me a lot. They sampled 3500 records for their debut album!!!! They perform their shit, tactile like. one of em is DMC ranked globally.

Honestly tho - and this will sound mad conceited but its not - The avalanches weren't there to help me decipher their approach. I spent 8 years on that. I sincerely wish that I'd had someone like me when I was coming up, sans youtube, sans instruction, everybody telling me I suck shit for years (de la's road DJ told me to give up quite visciously)... I wish I had someone to decipher shit with me and explain how things were achieved.

And I'm putting the offer out there. I will gladly explain how I assembled and performed any track I've got. I feel like I should be passing this stuff along, you know? I'm old! My art is dying, nobody does it like this anymore. Maybe one day, but that's why I want to spread as much knowhow and technique as possible.

So... ask me anything about my shite, on SC, BC, YT, whatever. I really want to pass this on, because I've got no desire to go big, I don't want any more contact with the record industry and I won't sign (don't need the money, Sony is NOT getting my rights. Besides, I sample like maaaaad illegal shit. I hide it well, very well, but I really DGAF about the legality of it. Neither should we - look at dangermouse.

Are those fucking metal gear samples?
I never knew that shit would work so well as samples. And your sample-based narrative idea is pretty cool. Good job.
You def seem like a child of madlib from what I've heard, but if you want some inspiration from artists that use a shitton of samples in their work, look at Clarence Clarity. He uses all kinds of shit and warps it into maximalist bliss, and he's starting to get into streaming his production on twitch, which has helped me a lot in terms of implementing samples.
youtube.com/watch?v=zM_fBMPpYpc
p.s. your cover art is really fucking good.

HELLZ YES THATS A METAL GEAR SAMPLE. Thank you so much! I take inspiration from kanye most dominantly but madlib and dilla have a soft spot in my heart.

This is pretty much spot on. You can sample anything you want, you just have to have the ear for it. Samples can be noticeably large, or even microsamples; small to the point not even the artist would recognize it

I feel like I walked into this thread a little late

I'm amped. Ok, tell me what styles you want the most. I have certain styles, moods, that I do - funk, soul, high pitched ol' school mos' def [ms. fat booty] soul, orchestral/cinematic, futuristic, digital hybrid, hopeful, war/conflict or battle ready stuff, fleeting hope or beauty. Mental illness-inspired stuff with doses of fear, sadness and auditory hallucinations (as I experienced em under diphen & head trauma). Upbeat funk/soul and unclassifiable hybrids.

So that's a lot of shit.

My tightest stuff is funk, soul and its hybrids. My overarching theme is Hope, and also Righteous Hope in the face of Despair or Sorrow.

And then there are the bangers, ofc. kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/slam

I think you should have some prose, too. One thing I've done at shows is have a poet, a rapper and a singer. The poet is interspersed between the rapper and singer, and I break down the beats to ambient and he or she will tell a story to the audience, then as the beat rebuilds, the singer comes in. It's so effective at pacing, and a good MC can break it down, play teddy pendergrass in the middle of his song as it melts into ambient and he just matter of factly explains what it was like to watch his right hand man asphyxiate from a fentanyl OD as he sped to the hospital... Or whatever. You break shit up, you give bits of anchoring narrative.

this thread has already outshined every /prod/ thread from the past 5 years

>he's starting to get into streaming his production on twitch
not a fan of 75% of his tracks, but thanks for the heads up on this, definitely interested in checking these out

This is just like this noisewitch cat I was working with... He's a mega maximalist, and I can't write shit the way he does because.... I just do me. Whatevs. But we occasionally do mixtapes, where I do half of most tracks in the tape using only turntables. So, the drones, scratches, ticking clocks, bits of reggae and overlaid acappella... you name it.

kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/album/my-belly-full-of-precious-water-continuous-mix

I PROMISE you'll dig this just as much as clarence clarity, which I am enjoying like hell.

Oh, art.... I used to be a graf artist, I do all my logos and covers. I really appreciate that you took note of em. They're almost all in sharpies, on paper, then vectorized later. Downloading an album from my BC always brings with it some photos and sketches and liner notes in the ZIP.

I want to do a project with vintage synths and chopped up vocals. I’d love vintage drum machine samples for the accompanying beats. I also want beatswitches. I want the part with chopped up vocals to be trapped the fuck out. Like as if we’re doing changes in mind state. I want gloomy, dark sounding pads. Lastly I want arpeggios. 145 tempo throughout so I can rap seamlessly to all of this. The theme of the song is switching moods like channels on a TV so static sound effects and turntablism would do so much justice.

Dude that sounds like a hell of a live show btw. Fucking lit as fuck. Man I’m stoked too.

That's how we do, we're involved, we either paid or are paying our dues. Maybe I'm nuts, but I don't sense ego in this thread, I sense hunger and curiosity and drive.

That's rare, here. Positivity gets shot to shit so quick. I think we may just be on a different plane - were approaching this not as consumers but 100% as creators. That's awesome.

kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/album/less-than-zero

This might be the one for you then... It's got about twelve vintage drum machines running - an Elektron MDUW (an 808/909/sp12 clone that sounds better than the originals), a tr 727, a cr 78, a dr-550, an alesis, a tr 606, too many bits of my own drum synthesis to count, a Korg ER something, kitchen-made drum samples, Casio Cheaps, Asian & indian percussion.... and it's the story of a great loss as told in rare audio stems from deleted scenes of blade runner!

I also figured out how to synth a five part thunderstorm from scratch.... you'll hear it.

This took over two years.

This shit is so latently gay and positively nerdy I can't even...

LIKE!

What...... EVaR

i do sample a long bit. then i slow it down from 60 to 30 and reverb it. and paste it over itself.

>said the customer

@78304411

From skimming, this is incredible. I love your attention to detail. I don’t think I’ll be able to do an entire 35 minute song (I cal at 6 or 7) but I’m loving all the effort and time you put into this. This is some Beethoven concerto level shit on a modern platform. I’ll give this a super detailed listen when I have time my man. If it’s cool I want to sample from this and write something sometime. Thank you so much for everything.

>Sampling
Hope you got a good lawyer goy

?????????

>makes no sense

I'm sorry to bombard you, but you know my whole deal now. I'm at your disposal. Take your time, don't stress shit, and if you know a singer you wanna get close with I make sick AF dub techno and will not hesitate to autotune a chick. Serious, works wonders.
I can take a chick singing in a voicemail and make it sound studio, so a girl you record in a coat closet on a dynamic mic? pffft. I'll make some bridge and tunnel guido shit that will resonate. I actually get paid -well- to do house sets from gear far more regularly than anything hip hop. I have a unique approach.
youtube.com/watch?v=nf-ezeOzNNw

And I'm shutting up now!

I have several, and I look forward to my inevitable day in court. Sampling law is unconstitutional and regressive.

I love it. I’m excited. Down as fuck. Having someone with your expertise and knowledge by my side is a blessing. I’ll DM you when I get home from work tonight. I promise.

At yer disposal.

Remember when you could sample the stereo mix on windows and they took it away?

Was that because of piracy bs?

I see videos of established producers cabling out and back into their interface just to record samples off youtube or DVDs. My RME soundcard allows loopback so you can just one click record audio on the fly in a wave editor, drag it from ableton into kontakt or an audio track.

How do you guys do YT sampling? Is it convoluted like you sample the phono out into an MPC/SP or do you have soundcards with a similar 'loopback' system?

Yeah, my Focusrite Saffire has loopback

Audacity

they been taking those parts outta everything because its cheaper to not include em and only audiofags like us notice.

I just use flvto for youtube
Should probably look into soundcards if it helps sampling that much

My samples aren't very obscure, and are generally from popular albums and singles, which are the easiest to find. However, I know that some popular albums from the past have terrific samples.

Yeah, I find that the more obscure the sample, the more the sample sucks. People want hear some shit sampled that they are familiar with, not some sampled esoteric instrument or some bassline from a song that 10 people have heard.

I know on Win 7 it's off by default but there's a way to re-enable it. A pain in the ass to level it out, actually, but it works.

That's the fallacy.

Ok. For every michael jackson or al green, there are THOUSANDS of little known nobodies who sound just like 'em, but different, slightly. And that is you sample gold.

You want to "remind your audience of something they've never heard."

This means DIGGING. And i mean heavy digging! I've driven across most of America digging up vinyl! For over 15 years! I have several of the records in shadow's product placement mix and half the samples in the new avalanches album's first five tracks.

They're all songs that sound familiar but you haven't heard. They're look alikes, ringers. You only really need that sonic texture, that piece of the recording.

kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/deep-cover

Sounds like michael jackson, yeah?

People more than anything want to hear something that sounds good
Obscure samples just help you create a unique sound that differentiates you from other producers and keeps lawyers off your back

nice stuff.

Thanks brother, I appreciate that. I hope I'm giving cats a leg up on the stuff that stumped me for years!