Are there any other modern (time-period) movies with such an epic quality to them?

Are there any other modern (time-period) movies with such an epic quality to them?

Though even just in terms of fantasy all I can really think of is LOTR.

There is something about the feeling of just going on a journey with the characters that you so rarely get, can really only think of those 2 examples. Something where at the end the characters are exhausted mentally/physically and you can feel it too.

Highly recommend this if you haven't seen it.

Other urls found in this thread:

tertullian.org/fathers/basil_litterature01.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

also it's very dissapointing we will probably never see the full 6 hour cut.

No idea why they wouldn't have just included it in the blu-ray or something.

What do you mean by modern? Set post 2000?

Pretty rough, that is ideally what I'm looking for but honestly if you know anything that fits the epic descriptor pretty accurately (Extensive journey with several discrete parts) I'd appreciate it.

Seeing that sort of story in a modern setting is what I'd find most interesting but I really doubt there is much of anything out there, I haven't really seen anything come close in my movie watching experience.

Though by modern I do pretty much mean sort of about the time it was filmed in a universe not too different from our own.

I wouldn't call it a epic, but you should watch Dogville.

You're confusing a rough cut with a directors cut. All movies are shortened in editing.

Love Exposure walks an incredibly fine line with it's pacing and structure as it is, another 20 minutes even could throw the whole thing off

From what I've read it was producers forcing his hand, haven't looked too into it though.

Why not? Why do you recommend dogville?

Was interested in this movie once

Then read about its anti-christian stance

Fuck off degeneracy

I mean, if they had problems with 6 hours why stop at 4? Both are nearly unreleasable runtimes, the slight difference is a theater can show a 4 hour film twice a day and a 6 only once

Be the bee, the most anti-Christian people display the strongest desire for Christ. The fact it was made even in rejection of Christ is still in consideration of him. It was pretty easy for me to take something pro-virtue and pro-Christian from the movie. So long as the characters aren't written terribly that is the only outcome anyway.

tertullian.org/fathers/basil_litterature01.htm

I saw one interview and IIRC he mentioned they tried to cut it to two and it just didn't work so they settled at 4. There was a 2 hour cut at some point though.

ehhh are the 4 hours really worth it ?

That applies sometimes, I admit. But in a certain way only. The Great Beauty / Young Pope would be good examples. But the fact is that most anti-christian movies/books etc are bad most of the times. At least from my experience. It's usually a sign of mediocrity in other departments of the movie/book/whatever.

And of course I didn't mean that Young Pope / Great Beauty are openly anti christian but they're ambiguous at least and they have some criticism.

you won't notice, and yes.
Maybe documentaries and stuff, if love exposure is explicitly and mainly about anti-Christian stuff it didn't really come across so it's bad as an anti-Christian movie I guess (Only obvious thing was people's dads talking about it alot but that just reflects negatively on the characters to me. ).
Pretty much every aspect of modern culture is inherently anti-Christian so it's not really possible to avoid. Haven't seen the young pope simply because I have no trust in modern TV people to do anything like that well.

I know Passolini a complete degenerate made the Gospel of St. Matthew which is pretty highly regarded, but I refuse to watch it because he also made Salo and was a disgusting person.

I also watch Varg's videos frequently who has quite adamantly anti-Christian, because despite people espousing words against Christ, some aspects of the Truth can still be found in that.

I honestly don't really pay attention to the author's view on Christianity. Christ, the Truth, is outside of human reason and even those people who "rationally" are totally against Christianity and reason their way absolutely to making something that does so, it has a way, i've found, of promoting Christianity.
Jewish/Athiest/Nihilist authors can't outsmart God and the ones who are lucky are given some ability to echo some part of his Truth and Love in their works. (most are proper crap though)

Despite the runtime it's a really light and fast-paced movie. It feels about half that length.

You should absolutely watch YYP. It's actually closer to being pro christian than anti, just like the great beauty by the same director.

Also Pasolini wasn't a degenerate, he actually wrote against degeneracy culture/and "sexual liberation" and defended traditionalism in his books. His movies are complex, Salo isn't representative at all. Watch Accattone, Mamma Roma or St Matthew. Those are genuinely Christian movies. The first twos in a Joseph de Maistre/Léon Bloy way

>wrote against degeneracy
>adapted the most depraved work of one of the most depraved people in history

yeah not buying it

also
>notorious faggot
>involved in communist politics
he did leave communist party at some point to join the
>anti-religous, pro-democracy, pro faggot party

yeah he is a degenreate through and through, if he ever wrote against degeneracy I'm sure it was just some manifestation of his apparently quite intense mental problems.

>Jewish/Athiest/Nihilist authors can't outsmart God and the ones who are lucky are given some ability to echo some part of his Truth and Love in their works.

Now isn't that just because "his truth and love" are based on universal positive human values? And you're showing a hell of a lot of christlike behavior towards gays, communists and the supposedly mentally ill

You don't know much about Pasolini obviously.

Salo is the adaptation of a degenerate book, yes. But Pasolini made it in a way that's its a CRITIC of hedonistic society, not a validation. It shows that hedonistic society and fascism goes well together, in fact they're MADE to be together. There's a scene with a girl having shit thrown at her. She's very beautiful in a picturesque way. She turns towards the camera and says "God where are you ?" during the scene. Movie is full of shit like that.

Now about Pasolini : he was communist yes, but only in the sense that he perceived that merchandise society severed traditional roots. Read his books seriously. He's deemed as reactionary by manies in both Italy in France because of this. Most of what you're talking about what his youth activism years which he regretted later.

And again, many of his movies are genuinely christian. In a special manner though.

Guy's im a traditionalist so i make movies are girls getting poop thrown at her!

The anti-religous party was later on.

You are also ignoring he is a massive faggot which is totally contrary to many basic principles of Christianity.

God will judge his soul for this.

And I never said that it was the best way to convey this kind of critique. That's why Salo is not a movie I actually like. Way too vulgar in the Maistrian/Baudelairian process.

Watch Accattone and Mamma Romma. The latter seems to be a modern story straight out of the Old Testament. Sometimes truths are conveyed in an analogical way. It's the substance that matters.