>Rogue 1 is set one week before ANH
>Empire and Rebels use the same vessels
"Fanservice"
>TFA set 30 years after ROTJ
>Same ships, same enemy, same plot, same objective, rebels still rebels
"not fanservice"

>not fanservice
But it was fanservice.
There never needed to be any more Star Wars movies outside of the original 3. Everything released afterwards has been nothing but fanservice.

Fair enough, but OP is pointing out the inconsistency. If the lesser offender is fanservice, then the greater offender should follow suit.

I don't consider it fan service when Lucas always had plans for 9 episodic movies.

c'mon that's not how it works
Then V and VI is also fanservice
Hell, every World War or Vampire movie is fanservice too then

Who ever said that TFA wasn't fan service? Why do you have to drag another film down to make another one look good?

1-3 was anti-fanservice. It was Lucasservice.

What I meant is that if it's set one week before ANH there's no reason for Rebels to not have the base in Yavin, ships not to be X and Ywings, Empire not having ATAT and TIE, etc
Meanwhile TFA gets a pass when it has no reason for the empire to still have the same tie fighters, rebels still be rebels (resistance) with the same xwings and not one huge vessell
ANH had more different ships than TFA for fuck sake, it's the cheapest SW movie ever, directed by a jew of course.

RLM who made fun of R1 for having Xwings and ATATs

What? Rewatch their plinkett review of TFA, it is almost entirely mocking the reuse of basic Star Wars iconography and breaking down current Disney sequel culture.

You're honestly delusional if you think that R1 had more new ships/designs than TFA. Also you act like R1 HAD to be set just before ANH, when in reality that was only the case in order to leech off the iconography of the OT. Using a canonical excuse to justify R1's lack of originality doesn't take into consideration the fact that R1's story was set when it was solely so the film would lack originality.

>You're honestly delusional if you think that R1 had more new ships/designs than TFA.
New ships in R1:
>The R1
>The calamari ship
New ships in TFA
>The Han Solo freighter
>Kylo Ren ship
that's fucking it

The point is I didn't say that, I said that there was no need for new things in R1 cause it's set one week before ANH

Meanwhile TFA is set 30 years ago and we see even less ships than in the original movie

>Also you act like R1 HAD to be set just before ANH, when in reality that was only the case in order to leech off the iconography of the OT. Using a canonical excuse to justify R1's lack of originality doesn't take into consideration the fact that R1's story was set when it was solely so the film would lack originality.
Dude, the movie is about how they get the plans from the Death Star, how else would've they done it?
If you are saying it shouldn't be done or the point of the movie is fanservice that's a whole different point.
The thing is, one movie set 30 years after and with much more money has the same ships than ANH, well, less ships in fact.

I am saying the story was chosen because of fan service, setting a movie a week before the events of a more famous movie sounds like a joke but for some reason Star Wars fanboys seem to love the blatant exploitation of their good faith in the franchise.

Are you aware at the fact that Disney has payed millions of shekels and they have to get the money back?
You are missing the point.
R1 is a prequel to ANH and TFA is a sequel to ROTJ but we see more difference in the one set a week before than one set 30 years before.
At least the planets were somehow different with that space station
TFA had tatooine alike, Naboo alike and Hoth alike

Nobody ever said it wasn't though.

Here it is, suddenly its justified because we should care about whether a multi-billion dollar company gets a return on their investment, strong point.

I nearly felt like leaving when they shoved in that scene with those two guys in the bar from ANH. That was way too much for me.

they said they had death sentences in different systems so it makes sense

can you tell me then why TFA has the same ships though?

RLM

fan service

RLM

Well you know for some people the financial success of TFA proved that it was a good film.

who said that?

surely you can understand that a movie set a week before has more reason to have the same ships than one that is set 30 years after.

No they didn't. They did however say that TFA was a better movie because the characters worked

TFA was the first new Star Wars movie after 32 years of blunders. I can accept it being cautious and sticking to what has worked. Yes, it's ANH 2.0, but it at least had unique characters, which I'm excited to see where they'll be taken. I won't accept 8 following a similar formula, though.

Rogue One was the second new Star Wars movie, and it just continued to double down on references and nostalgia. It was a hollow shell of a movie besides the STAR WARS™ imagery. You can do a little test. Ask yourself if you had given a shit about the movie if the branding wasn't there. For Rogue One the answer is no for me. TFA is kinda weak, but at least there is SOMETHING there.

Holy fuck that Vader scene at the end was cringe.

see and you're acting as though they had to set it during the most easily marketable period of the franchise.

>Rei has never flied the millenium falcon but knows more about it than Han Solo
>Rey has had no training but defeats Kylo Ren
>Han Solo has never used Chewie weapon
>Finn gets shoked when a stromtrooper dies then he proceeds to kill them
>the rebel pilot disappears then reapears for some reason
>leia is still a rebel working with the so called resistance, not the new republic for some reason
good characters
ok

>TFA was the first new Star Wars movie after 32 years of blunders. I can accept it being cautious and sticking to what has worked
literally a fucking ANH copy

>Rogue One was the second new Star Wars movie, and it just continued to double down on references and nostalgia.
Only movie without force users, set one week befor ANH wich is the reason the ships are the same
meanwhile TFA is the same thing even though is set 30 years after
> but at least there is SOMETHING there.
A character than can do everything, so inspiring
>Holy fuck that Vader scene at the end was cringe.
said no one ever

TFA being shit doesn't make R1 any better
They both fucking suck

r1 doesn't suck, at least say why does it suck
don't say it's the cantina bad guys cameo

The fact it was only x-wings was super normie fan service. I dumped on them pretty hard when TFA came out, but you can only spend so much time and energy hating on star wars in a day.

I was pissed when I found out JJ decided x-wings would be the do it all fighters, fast, bombers, it does it all. No A-wings, no b-wings, no y-wings, no NEW ships.

and of course he blew up all the fleet to not have to spend a shekel in it

Does anyone remember all those threads shitting on the newly designed x-wings in TFA, the T-70 X-wing with the split turbine thing.

Remember how one of these movies actually presented a semi-original idea and it was shit on relentlessly.

This is our punishment.

Yes, it plays it way too close to ANH for my taste, but I can see why they did it.

Both Vader and Donnie Yen are force users. The rebels win the day because of Donnie using the force to navigate his way to that button. I don't even remember what the button did.

I agree Rey was a bit too competent a character, but I enjoyed Kylo and Finn the most in TFA. They are (especially Finn) not the strongest characters in the world, but atleast two unique characters in Star Wars. I'm exited to see what they'll do with Kylo in 8.
What characters were there in R1? Somebody who occationally uttered "hope"? That guy from Battlefield Earth? Mads Mikkelsen? TFA is fan-service with a shred of movie substance, R1 is fan-service without even that.

And it's not a big stretch of Mary Sue from Rey to Luke. She beat a overconfident young man who had a hole in his spleen. She flew an old junker of a ship, which she as a scavenger could have been familiar with. He was a moisture farmer who ended up as a fighter pilot over the course of ~24 hours

>Set one week before ANH
You know, they could not have made a god damn movie out of a single sentence from the opening crawl of ANH. Rich is right in saying that Star Wars is such a tiny universe. You can't do anything with it. The empire, stormtroopers, x-wings, they'll always be there.

Lucas tried with the prequels I guess, but he's utterly incompetent.

Yes that Vader scene was utter cringe, user.

It's generic, boring schlock, the acting is stiff, the CG is overused, it's predictable as fuck, that last Vader scene was stupid as fuck.
It's literally just a money grab, there is nothing good about it

Luke was not a marysue in any movie
Watch them again

>What characters were there in R1
The death star designer
her daughter
a rebel that helps
what else do you need?
it's a fantasy war movie, what more explanation do characters need?

>opening crawl
yes it was needed indeed

>it's predictable as fuck
hahaha perhaps cause it's a fucking prequel?
jesus gus
>that last Vader scene was stupid as fuck
in what way?

>Characters worked.
Please ignore those retards.

>always the same dull story of muh diverse rebels and muh evil empire

why is it so hard to do a new story, any of the big sith stories or literally anything that isn't just copies