Sublime BTFO

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VuGzJVKtW6g
youtube.com/watch?v=1XHcPYorSJw
youtu.be/EsNUTCv9Ut0
youtu.be/jJDvqELpZAk
youtu.be/TFl9brbCKvk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

does anyone actually listen to sublime or do they just wear that one tshirt with that album cover on it

Not cool. At all.

This is actually a fantastic album.

I DON'T PRACTICE SANTERIA

I genuinely like them. A lot of it is probably nostalgia but they are a big guilty pleasure for me. Bradley Nowell's voice is awesome

I’m from Long Beach, Ca where their from.

Yeah snoop and Vince Staples have gotten more critical acclaim and put LB on the map, but Sublime is the soul of the city. Every band here was influenced by them directly and indirectly so Sublime are a very important band to me. Bradley could tell great stories, and their was a sense of pain in the music that really hits home in a literal sense. I mean, when I was 14 my first “Rock band” gig was at the same venue Sublime and RHCP first played.

Self-Titled is much much better, cohesive, and has the best of the singles. Plus it has a haunting vibe since Bradley died 2 weeks before release

Fuck Pitchfork.

>Pitchfork writers don't like Santeria

Color me shocked

>randomly deciding to pan a 25 year old album for absolutely no reason on an arbitrary date

fuck white people

sublime is pure, i live with my mom after the divorce and call her by her first name and smoke weed with her white trash kino

Sublime is almost certainly better than anything Pitchfork ever gave a 10 to.

what's a kino? can I fuck your mom?

I love them, I ordered a yellow and blue 2XLP of their self titled a few days ago.

if you actually read that review it's a bizarre, surreal experience

they barely even touch on the music, it's this strange, unhinged tumblr-tier rant about how this guy who died 22 years ago was ~problematic~. just hamfisted, fake outrage about something not even socially relevant in a desperate attempt to get clicks.

>caring about soyfork
That album is great. Sublime confirmed essential soyboy repellent.

Excerpt of the review, please? I refuse to give them traffic.

"Yet while it’s hard to imagine a future when it won’t be blasting out of dorm rooms, time hasn’t flattered the album. A belated regional hit that primed the band for their breakthrough, “Date Rape” in particular was questionable even by its era’s standards, but today it sounds downright vile. The band sold the single as an anti-rape song, which it halfheartedly tries to be—the rapist is the villain, after all, and he gets his comeuppance—but mostly it’s a “sexual assault as entertainment” song, a titillating yarn about a predator and his prey, set to giddy, Fishbone-style horns that undercut any empathy it pretends to have for its victim. “Suggestion” this is not: Even if you can look past the noxious homophobia of the song’s parting shot about the imprisoned rapist taking it “in the behind”—poetic justice at its least poetic—ending a song denouncing date rape by cheering prison rape is unjustifiably bad.

In surprisingly callous comments to an Orlando magazine that suggest he might not have been ready for the spotlight international fame would have put on him, Nowell leaves no reason to give the song’s intentions the benefit of the doubt. “I’ve never raped anyone at least as far as I can remember,” Nowell said. “We were at a party a long time ago and we were all talking about bad date rape was. This guy was like, ‘Date rape isn’t so bad; if it wasn't for date rape I’d never get laid.’ Everyone at the party was bummed out about it, but I was cracking up and I wrote a funny song about it.” If you want to understand why so many people loathe this band, remember this anecdote, because it epitomizes what Sublime sounds like to outsiders: Dudes guffawing at a joke you find appalling."

That's because the review itself is essentially page filler that only exists to justify the score

>"you're not allowed to have a morbid sense of humor."

The ending part of the review is so indicative of liberal elitisms penchant for living in a bubble and thinking everyone thinks the same way they do or has the same morality

>And that’s why there may be a window on the movement that Nowell started. Each year 40oz. sounds a little further past its sell-by date, its songs a little more sour and its sexual politics even less excusable. For the same reason that Mötley Crüe doesn’t make many new teenage fans these days, Sublime’s well of young fans may dry up, too; time has a way of gradually erasing music that doesn’t meet modern mores. Even many original fans who still sneak a listen while doing weekend yard work probably wouldn’t want to be seen wearing their old 40oz. T-shirt in public anymore. Yet if you talk to those same fans candidly, many will admit the same thing: It’s the most embarrassing album they’ve ever loved.
Lets just fucking say it. Pitchfork caters to the views of petit bourgeois scum. A band with lyrics like

Why I don't cry when my dog runs away
I don't get angry at the bills I have to pay
I don't get angry when my Mom smokes pot
Hits the bottle and goes right to the rock
Fuckin' and fightin', it's all the same
Livin' with Louie dog's the only way to stay sane
Let the lovin', let the lovin' come back to me

does not appeal to their "i live in a gentreifed neighborhood but love diversity" self hatred or lifestyle

>yet if you talk to those same fans candidly, many will admit the same thing: it’s the most embarrassing album they’ve ever loved.

It’s like p4k Is saying they aren’t allowed to like this record.
I don’t know man, that’s a suspect sentence

I assume they look at a picture of Sublime and it screams "working class white people". I know a ton of people who still love Sublime. This is pure self indulgence on the part of the writer

who's the writer btw? don't want to give p4k any clicks

fuck pitchfork. Why do they dedicate half of every review to talking about random shit that's not even related to the album they're reviewing. I know a lot of critics do this, but they only write like 2-3 sentences of it as an introduction to the review.

Evan Rytlewski

But that isn't the case. The thing with Pitchfork is, they don't review albums normally. The style of discussing how an album plays out, what songs are good and what songs just ultimately fail, and how it sounds just isn't all that goes into a Pitchfork album. They don't perceive the album presently, as in focus concretely on the aspects of the music. Rather, they look behind to other albums of the past and see how it relates to other albums of its genre, and also forward, foreseeing how the album will make an impact to music in the future. In this particular case, they might not have just focused on the bad parts outweighing the good. Rather, they saw how music would follow the template for the terrible aspects of this album, and how there would be more copycats of their music. In that regard, they might have thought it symbolically represents the downfall of Reggae Rock/Ska Punk as a genre, and that all the terrible trends could be attributed to this album.

the whole article is basically a not so subtle jab at lower class white proles, masculinity, and anyone who enjoys music that isnt dictated by what is p4k approved.
Its completely unaware of its class hatred, or the idea that there are people who might think differently. It just assumes everyone is some stuck up pc liberal fucktard

Say what you will about this album but this is the first time I've seen a review blaming white people for misogynist lyrics in rap. wew, Evan is a certified banger-smith

Pitchfork reviews are on that "im so woke but dont ever be critical of capitalism and dont ever attain a class consciousness" neoliberal garbage

Whenever you read a pitchfork review always do a class analysis.

realize the writers are all some bourgeois effeminate hipsters that cant stand loweclass white people

"reeeee how dare some bro sing about having sex and enjoying life and smoking weed"

this is pathetic

death to pitchork

>mfw reading about Sublime with Rome
>mfw listening to their two albums

i dont like sublime at all but this reeks of politics

Early in the morning, risin' to the street
Light me up that cigarette and I strap shoes on my feet
Got to find a reason, a reason things went wrong
Got to find a reason why my money's all gone
I got a dalmatian, and I can still get high
I can play the guitar like a motherfucking riot

Do you think the people who like sublime will listen to pitchfork about how sublime isnt woke enough to appeal to people anymore?

looking at the lyrics and remembering the tune, it actually sounds a lot like Mac DeMarco, especially his earlier efforts. So the answer is yes, I guess.

wow. there is alot of shit in that post of yours sir.

>unironically listening to Sublime
do amerimutts really do this?

"Yet while it’s hard to imagine a future when it won’t be blasting out of dorm rooms, time hasn’t flattered the Pitchfork. A belated online music journal that primed Arcade Fire for their breakthrough, “Pitchfork” in particular was questionable even by its era’s standards, but today it sounds downright vile. The website sold itself as a "woke" music 'zine, which it halfheartedly tries to be—the prole is the villain, after all, and he gets his comeuppance—but mostly it’s a “sexual assault as opportunity to jerk ones self off” website, a titillating yarn about a bougie and his inferior fellow citizens, set to giddy, Christgau-style rants that undercut any understanding it pretends to have for the music. “Suggestion” this is not: Even if you can look past the noxious elitism of the website’s parting shot about the dead frontman taking it “in the vein”—poetic justice at its least poetic—ending a review denouncing date rape by blowing oneself over how enlightened they are is unjustifiably bad.

In a surprisingly callous review of a Long Beach band that suggest they might not have been ready for the spotlight international fame would have put on them, Pitchfork leaves no reason to give their articles' intentions the benefit of the doubt. “I’ve never raped anyone at least as far as I can remember,” Rytlewski said. “We were at a party a long time ago and we were all talking about bad date rape was. This guy was like, ‘Date rape isn’t so bad; if it wasn't for date rape I’d never get laid.’ Everyone at the party was bummed out about it, but I was the most cracked up of all and I wrote a shitty article about it.” If you want to understand why so many people loathe this website, remember this anecdote, because it epitomizes what Pitchforlk sounds like to outsiders: Dudes circlejerking over awareness of issues even kindergarteners find appalling."

I've been a die hard since I was a kid. One of the only bands I still hold in high regard. Probably because they don't make music anymore

How many of these Pitchfork hacks write while drunk on boxed wine?

>90% of the "review" has absolutely nothing to do with the album
Why does Pitchfork do this?

bands like motley crue and sublime are still well loved.
There are bands that still rip off motely crue to this day. Black veil brides as much as people hate them are just the crue but a bit more gothy

youtube.com/watch?v=VuGzJVKtW6g

I really hope you p4k fucks are reading this thread and realize what a bunch of bourgeois classist scum you are.

>Evan Rytlewski
/:

>((((((Rytlewski)))))))))

yeah it's comfy as fuck

I wish i was a well known indie artist. I would do a sublime cover while wearing a motely crue t shirt right now

Jesus fucking christ the absolute state of millennial "journalists"

>even has the typical nu-male soyboy beard

The jokes write themselves

>comfy

yeah cookie crisp is comfy too

Who the shit gives two fucks about Miguel
Who the fuck actually posts a bunch of “””topical””” niche music shit all over their social media like that’s the only thing that defines them

My man

None because pitchfork writers are underrage high schoolers

I bet if Bradley was black it would get a better review

10,000 IQ Brando

So which is it is dipshit he a soyboy or a fan of Sublime cos you can't have both

">For the same reason that Mötley Crüe doesn’t make many new teenage fans these days, Sublime’s well of young fans may dry up, too"

This has no basis in fact and just broadly assumes that most kids are overtly political people who don't enjoy shit because it contradicts their view. Fucking asinine

I know the soy defense would be to condemn making a critique based on somebodies subjective taste in music but this is Sup Forums and we both know anyone interested in the artistic expression of motherfucking Miguel is a confirmed idiot.

>implying motley crue doesnt have classics
>implying metal general threads on mu arent ahead of the curve with ironic glam metal posting

youtube.com/watch?v=1XHcPYorSJw

>does not appeal to their "i live in a gentreifed neighborhood but love diversity" self hatred or lifestyle
Spot on like people who act like
> even though we've clean the place up and made rent Skyrocket and push the less fortunate out of the area we love Urban culture and diversity it doesn't matter if we took the average rent from 400 to 1400

Yeah but they gave two Nirvana albums a 10 and Nirvana was responsible for the shit-stain which is post-grunge.

>So which is it is dipshit he a soyboy or a fan of Sublime cos you can't have both

> t. 18

You’ve just described like 90% of pitchforks reviews now a days

You just said what he said go to bed

>Look mom, I posted it again!!!!

Some user posted RTH yesterday and got me to really reflect on how much I love that album, still. Most of it I got burnt out on because I was in about a thousand Sublime-type groups, but that's a special case. The music is quality, and who even are these faggmen with such horrendous opinions? Why does Sup Forums care so much about critics?

/blog
/rant

So, the same fags who hate Sublime also hate over Crue. The soy fucking thickens

perception dictates reality, perception is dictated by exposure, and exposure is dictated by media. 2 +2 + 2 + 6.

my opinions are objectively the correct ones

Your comment has nothing to do with that I said. It was an answer as to why posters on Sup Forums as a whole make such a big deal over p4k/rotten tomatoes/cnn commentary

I know it has nothing to with what you said. It just needed to be stated to frame where I'm coming from; A seat of inscrutable infallibility. But yeah, I never understood critics or outside opinions. Maybe in the old days you had to have the learned ear of an a&r man to get a good artist to the listener, but not anymore, and I wonder how much good shit got passed over

On “Right Back,” he dismisses his girlfriend as a ho and strongly suggests he slept with yours—like many white rap fans of the era, he took the genre’s influence as license to parrot its misogyny.

Most of it I'm sure. And egoism is a common trait of those who differentiate from the status quo in, anything really. But it's better to be a flawed individual than a flawless conformist imo. These days the probably naive narrative-writers of capitalist culture only serve to reinforce the contemporary norm and promote consumerism for the next generation

>But it's better to be a flawed individual
It's the best way to roll desu~

>narrative-writers of capitalist culture only serve to reinforce the contemporary norm and promote consumerism
nah, the machine is big and heinous but someone out there pushes artists or whatever because of a genuine sense of shared appreciation or excitement. Some people still have souls, r-right?

That's the genius of a well oiled machine right? All the cogs behave perfectly without even knowing what they're making. Anybody pushing genuine art is not a part of said machine. Those with the souls to feel sincerity are not invited to the operations that shape reality.

I'll use this to excuse my failure in music. I'm not being sarcastic, implying you do this. I am really going to choose to believe this. Thank you!

You know it's been the excuse I've used for my entire life. But that's bullshit. It's cowardly and defeatist and we can feel it in our hearts, otherwise we wouldn't be communicating on anonymous imageboards re-assuring ourselves that we're justified in giving up. The beauty of true art is defying reality, adhering to realism in the bare minimum capacity possible, while challenging the status quo. It's playing the game on their terms, but with our beliefs. It's making great things, out of the shit we're given. Life is improving what's around us, with infinite resources or zero, and everything inbetween, because we're capable of doing so.

Truth be told, the magic of denial never worked on me either. I read something once, for some reason I want to say it was that annoying Ezra guy from NPR, but it really opened my eyes. It basically said that artists struggle because they have great tastes and they need their music to match or exceed their expectations. I think his solution was to keep doing it over and over. I hate that work is the answer to everything. It seems so un-American. (American btw)

I really do sympathize with having a specifically millennial disdain for hard work. l have a disgusting level of sympathy tbqh. Do i occasionally go the Sup Forums route and blame it on a systematic agenda? Of course, I'm lazy. I mean, it's an undeniably contemporary disposition. And it's the same reason I could never blame anyone except yours truly for any form of artistic unsucess that I currently obtain. I completely agree, that that same struggle, that effort, the work, is what creates the difference between bitter young boys and cynical young men. It's an awful limbo to be in, me and you. Between self-awareness and self-hate. (American)

They'll really not all that bad. Pretty listenable

Sublime has a bunch of good hits
Santeria
Doin Time
That one about two joints
But most of their albums are just bland filler

>I could never blame anyone except yours truly for any form of artistic unsucess
not necessarily true, I mean, you may suck, I don't know, but there are plenty of forces waiting to smother the best of us, artistic merit or not

>But most of their albums are just bland filler
your opinion is poorly informed. Sublime is a deep-cuts band if there ever was one

But friend, we can overcome, if we only tried

>we can overcome
source?

Not everyone gets to overcome. I guess the take away is that this is no reason to stop trying. I mean, what else is there to do?

David Simon, The Clash and Karl Marx did
lmfao

... and possibly/probably ate people alive to get there. Recognition is one thing, self-satisfaction quite another. I'll take the harder-to-obtain latter, thank you

(figuratively ate people alive, not like Alex Jones "elites eating babies"-tier)

Underrated
Eh to be fair it's been a few years since I listened to a bunch of their deep tracks. Maybe they're better than I remember, maybe not

You're right of course. But what I mean is that anyone trying to make a half-realistic effort in influencing or changing anything in this culture probably has to compromise everything about themselves in order to do so. Self-satisfaction is an astronomical oddity for anybody attempting to make any sort of difference in this world. In my personal opinion what I mean to say is that the only reason people like us have seen and have access to humans we agree with is because of the same ones who sacrificed their morals to obtain any sort of exposure in this world. It's far as fuck away from perfect, living in reality.

I really do like reading these types of comments on Sup Forums. Thanks pseuds

I feel like this album was an essential part of being a teenage stoner. I feel sorry for the writer that he either missed out on that experience or forgot its formative impact.

>Self-satisfaction is an astronomical oddity for anybody attempting to make any sort of difference in this world
There's the problem; Fuck the whole "making a diff" part.

>the only reason people like us have seen and have access to humans we agree with is because of the same ones who sacrificed their morals to obtain any sort of exposure in this world
I'm all for bathing in the blood of a kill someone else made for me. That's what western thought is all about.

>Thanks pseuds
no problem, pic related, it's me

> been a few years since I listened to a bunch of their deep tracks. Maybe they're better than I remember
youtu.be/EsNUTCv9Ut0
youtu.be/jJDvqELpZAk
youtu.be/TFl9brbCKvk