Would you be OK with some relevant film institute making a revised "best of all time" film list with no nostalgia...

Would you be OK with some relevant film institute making a revised "best of all time" film list with no nostalgia goggles? That would make it almost certain for movies like wizard of oz and gone with the wind to be excluded from the list.

Just a list that would judge movies objectively and with one requisite: it must be a timeless movie that you can watch and enjoy anytime regardless of its release date. So yeah most old movies would be excluded.

If so, which ones would you like to see in the list? don't order them if you don't want to.

Pic somehow related: A movie I believe should be ranked in that list.

>Just a list that would judge movies objectively and with one requisite: it must be a timeless movie that you can watch and enjoy anytime regardless of its release date. So yeah most old movies would be excluded.
>he thinks The Wizard of Oz isn't timeless
I'm sorry you can't feet joy, user.

you basically just described the imdb top 250

I'm sorry you trick yourself into believing that old movies are great when compared to new ones. Bet you also think 8 bit graphics look better than current ones

You're a bumbling fucking idiot and almost surely underage if you think wizard of oz isn't a timeless classic beloved by most people in the world.

You're one of these plebs that think they can judge all the ''old films'' because they watched Taxi Driver, Seven Samurai & Citizen Kane? KYS

This board is so embarrasing most of the time.

>being this much of a pleb

It's not. People simply circlejerk around it saying its good. And they keep saying it's good because if they say it's bad then somebody else (you) try to humiliate them and the rest of the circlejerkers end up doing the same.

It is factually dated. Bad effects, bad acting, bad plot, bad sound and picture quality and bad directing, you can't excuse it simply because it's old. It explains many of those flaws, but it does not excuse them.

>Would you be OK with some relevant film institute making a revised "best of all time" film list with no nostalgia goggles?
No, because they'd still have goggles and end up putting fucking Tootsie on there because "I'm 90 years old and cross-dressing is the most hilarious thing ever made."

>Just a list that would judge movies objectively and with one requisite: it must be a timeless movie that you can watch and enjoy anytime regardless of its release date. So yeah most old movies would be excluded.

A genuine retard typed this paragraph.

You're just a contrarian, not objective.

t. The wicked witch.

No, you're simply afraid to accept the truth.

Filmmaking was relatively new back then, so it's obvious that those films would be extremely flawed. That doesn't mean we should hail them as the best films ever made and that no other films may take their place

They're not flawed though just because they don't have CGI. The timelessness of Wizard of Oz is by the fact that it can still be enjoyed despite of its painted backgrounds, etc., and in fact it is these aspects of the film that give it such a quality that people enjoy for reasons other than being a contemporary novelty (like colour) in film.

Judging past films on the standards of contemporary films isn't being objective, and most of what you would consider 'objectively good' today will be dated garbage in 10 years.

M8 I'm not him and I'm not trying to be a contrarian but do you honestly know anyone who is not a film buff or an 80 years old person who actually says "Wizard of Oz 1939 is one of my favorite movies, I love it so much!".
I don't have any particular films towards the movie, but I sure as hell know that if I ever tell my friends "lets watch the wizard of Oz", they'd probably stop talking to me and start watching UFC or something.
As much as you hate to admit it, it didnt age well

>anyone who is not a film buff

They have a greater claim to objectivity than your UFC friends, and whether or not someone likes a film is irrelevant to it being objectively good. I'm not sure what your point is.

Lmao enjoy living in that fantasy land where everyone still loves TWOZ. I bet that you believe people in parties go like "hey man you got a nice movie here? Actually yeah I got The wizard of oz ;) omg what are you waiting for man put that shit on right now!!!"

Again, not sure what this has to do with 'objectively judging' movies.

>it must be a timeless movie that you can watch and enjoy anytime regardless of its release date. So yeah most old movies would be excluded.

you wouldn't download an autism

I'm not even trying to discuss the quality of the wizard of oz I just think it's laughable that you believe everyone loves that movie when in reality probably 90% of current viewers would think it was shit. Like you actually imagine people choosing the wizard of oz instead of star wars, lord of the rings or john wick or even a fucking adam sandler film

>Filmmaking was relatively new back then, so it's obvious that those films would be extremely flawed.

star wars is boring as fuck unless you watched it as a kid and enjoy it for the nostalgia
like, really, really boring and stupid
at least the wizard of oz is self-aware and has some charm

>it's laughable that you believe everyone loves that movie

I've never even come close to saying this. The topic is about a list of movies judged to be objectively good. Whether 'everyone' loves a film or not has no bearing on its objective quality.

>probably 90% of current viewers would think it was shit

Yes let's create a list of timeless films from the opinions of current viewers:

>the thought that any list of movies ranked based on their aesthetic merits can be objective

aesthetic merit, as well as meaning, is inherently subjective, and thus victim of bias
No such thing as an objective list

I'm totally for the idea of a prestigious film institute or the likes to create a revised list that includes many relatively new films (from 90s and onwards) like your pic related (leon), trainspotting, LOTR (watch a faggot say it isn't kino) and other stuff.

I'm also not against the idea that those "old" movies like casablanca, gone with the wind, the grapes of wrath and wizard of us to NOT be given the number 1 spot automatically. But I believe that they should still be mentioned, at least in a separate "special honor" category

the only list any serious cinephile should care about is the sight and sound poll

There are other lists like TSPDT, National Society of Film Critics 100 essential films, Roger Ebert great movies, Jonathan Rosenbaum top 1000 films

TSPDT is interesting, and tends to be very similar to the s&s poll, but the rest are selected by one person or group
the s&s list polls a ton of people that really know their shit

you could make a list of the movies with a big impact on film making but not something like "the best movies ever" because it's a matter of taste
but this kind of list are always interresting

>imdb top 250

I actually just checked and it's a rather nice list despite some horrible mistakes like the dark knight on 4th and kill bill on 5th place.

Personally I'd put

trainspotting
the good the bad and the ugly
for a few dollars more
Leon
apocalypse now

those are my top 5 films

Interesting question, posed by a retarded faggot.

Gimme a few yous and I'll do my best to make your stupidity clear to you.

>people are falling for the bait

I'm 35 and not a film buff and wizard of oz is legitimately great, your problem is that you are a plebeian shithead who lets his friends shame him into conformity with ignorant super srs """adult""" tastes so that all you can enjoy is watching UFC like some spastic gym rat.

no you're literally doing what you're criticizing, you don't actually think that TWOZ is great, it's jsut that you fell for the circlejerker meme and now you're afraid to leave the circle and be shunned

You don't know shit about me memester, I watched the movie and enjoyed it, it's a pure light hearted journey and many people genuinely like it, just because your shitty social circle has convinced that bright colors and innocence is "gay" or something doesn't mean the movie is bad. Meanwhile there's plenty of circle jerk movies I don't like, such as Casablanca, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend everyone who likes it has been brainwashed while citing my shit taste UFC watching friends.

>So yeah most old movies would be excluded.

Are you fucking retarded?

All of these fucking assfaggots in this thread pretending that old=good

yeah im sure everyone loves watching movies with shit sound and picture quality, with horrible directing and acting that came from theaters (thus they only knew how to act for theaters, that is by exaggerating their emotions and raising their voice too much)

old films are objectively bad. You can say they were important but they're now back. Most of our civilization is based on greek stuff, but we don't go around saying greeks are the indisputable best civilization ever

At least the Greeks didn't produce autistic retards like you

Tbh it'd be good. I'm sick of seeing these lists of '10 sci fi's to see beforr you die' and its nothing post 1980s and theres like 3 sub 1940s films.