Can someone explain why people hated this season?

can someone explain why people hated this season?
and why did they hate vaughn?
i thought it was still pretty good
i saw the ending coming though

Other urls found in this thread:

rollingstone.com/tv/news/true-detective-season-2-to-tackle-transit-systems-occult-history-20140310
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The dialogue is literally among the worst in any piece of media ever created.

>i saw the ending coming though

You'd almost think they had a dream sequence foretelling it or something.

No Rustin Cohle for fedoralords to imitate.

These are the same people who wouldn't include Lethal Weapon in the top 5 movies of all time. So I'm not surprised a lot of faggots didn't like it because they have terrible taste. It was alright but it was not the complete dog shit people claim it to be.

WEW
hope that's bait

>"Some people say it's not the size of the boat but rather the motion of the ocean. Well guess what, Ray? I can't even swim. Never even had a bath."

What was wrong with it?

the writing. it boils down to the writing. it was a beyond sophomoric attempt at Ellory LA Noir. all of the actors did their best with the lousy drafts they were given, but Pizzolatto dropped the ball. David Cronenberg passed on directing the first episode because the screenwriting was so lousy. Pizz should have hired a couple of other writers - Pelecanos and Burns come to mind - to ease the load after he scrapped the initial idea and found himself with a looming deadline. i guess you could say it's hubris that made season two so goddamn awful.

Caspere knew this.

>humanities a disease
>this place looks like someone's faded memories
yeah, i see what you mean
i understood it though, he was supposed to be this uneasy, oddball, ace detective
this season though i really felt for velcoro
i thought woodrugh's plot was shallow as fuck

>"My grandfather told me you can discover everything you need to know about everything by looking at your hands. I've been looking at mine all my life, every day since I was 5, and you know what I've just realized? They're fucking feet."

This. People are shitting on Pizza because writing was the main problem

>i understood it though, he was supposed to be this uneasy, oddball, ace detective
You didn't understand it at all
90s Rust was full of shit, nothing he said was sincere, that was his whole character, he hid his pain by being prickly as fuck and saying things he knew would make the people around him want nothing to do with him, and 2000s Rust wasn't much better

everyone says this but i must be a pleb because i didn't notice the writing to be dog shit quality. can i get an example of what you mean?

not to mention he obviously took the best bits of the first season from more talented writers. even i knowing that, i still rank the first season as one of my favorite tv viewings of all time. but dude's a lit kepto, no doubt about it. funniest thing is how people defend him on it.

I miss these.

>he hid his pain by being prickly as fuck and saying things he knew would make the people around him want nothing to do with him
kind of like he was uneasy or an oddball

>Hey Ray, give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll never go hungry. Well guess what Ray, we're the only fishing instructors left, and we're living in a fucking dustbowl. Sink or swim, Ray.

truly a high quality meme. i wonder why we don't see it often

Bullshit, not remotely the same thing

???
you said it yourself he purposefully closed himself off to people
even marty's wife said he was intense
he made people uneasy and people thought he was odd
how am i wrong with that assessment?

convoluted plot that trickled along too slow for most of the season, and then only sped up for the last 2 episodes. Pacing was all wrong.

>scrapped the initial idea
what was it?

if that's the worst example of his terrible writing i'd still consider it not that bad. pretty clunky, but compared to the rest of the dialogue i didn't this show deserved that hate. some parts of the story were lackluster though like bezzerides childhood kidnapping and woodrugh's closeted story

miami vice meets seven

>"Mel?"
>"Yes Vince?"
>"Its a dog eat dog out there and I'm the fucking Chinaman"
>"huh, really makes you think"

it was "the occult history of the US transit system." i'm not even joking. i have a feeling he scrapped the idea b/c he didn't have anyone to crib from, unlike an LA noir story, which you can pick a James Ellroy or Chandler novel to take from.

>rollingstone.com/tv/news/true-detective-season-2-to-tackle-transit-systems-occult-history-20140310

to be honest, it has been more than a year since i saw the episodes, but right off the top of my head the following comes to mind:

>awful pacing
>dialogue ranging from the juvenile to sophomoric
>everyone with similar quips
>gay cop character why?
>robot dick
>evidence of corruption obtained by protagonists in the most imbecilic of ways
>conway twitty
>AA scene, really? like, really?
>supremely unsatisfying climaxes - apart from Vaughn's death scene. that was great.

i really would have to rewatch the series to give you a more comprehensive list. however, if you dug the show, then you dug it. i would suggest reading Ellroy, Chandler, and Hammett for superior LA noir tales. you'll see how derivative and hackneyed the season was.

oh yeah, i remember reading that. i figured they were doing something like "from hell," where the transit system is one big occult monument/ritual or some shit. that would have at least been novel, and fit with the more interesting themes of season 1. watching season 2, i kept waiting for the big reveal to happen, where you find out that there's something sinister and cosmic going on, but nope. just a really weak-ass crime plot.

yeah, that would have been great and something new, not another fucking cop show set in LA about city corruption. ugh. like literally every James Ellroy novel. a show about investigators looking into the transit system of the entire country would be some else, supernatural elements or not. wouldn't it be funny if Pizz reused that idea for his new Perry Mason series?

I recall some article that basically said "oh, so this time he's gonna rip off Pynchon" (mason & dixon) so maybe he preemptively nuked the thing and did his best to come up with OC with the little time he had left