Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=65UQSMPBCuo
youtube.com/watch?v=GG5ft6-qzsY
youtube.com/watch?v=RZOAcdnkOOI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

good 2018 release

youtube.com/watch?v=65UQSMPBCuo

these threads suck.
i like the fact people still want to listen to jazz, but honestly if you don't play it or play some kind of music at a very high level you're probably just not going to understand or enjoy jazz

is the whole record as bad as this one track?

I don't play an instrument at "a very high level" but I enjoy jazz quite a bit...

hey, music idiot here, Mingus and Pharoah Sanders hav some jams

what do you like about it?

>honestly if you don't play it or play some kind of music at a very high level you're probably just not going to understand or enjoy jazz
OP, literally just post a jazz cover of a beatles song

i'm this guy.

based on this pls ignore my previous post

You kinda proved his point if you think Black Saint or Karma are good examples of jazz when both are kinda the prime examples of "jazz for non-jazz fans" as they lack the nuance that more experienced listeners actually like from the genre.

do you just prowl for places the pounce your fedora?

I can't tell if posts like these are just advanced shitposts or not.

You can't even type English correctly, forget being able to enjoy jazz lmao.

youtube.com/watch?v=GG5ft6-qzsY

decent cover

Black Saint has little room for improvisation and thus has more in common with something like Kid A than the more expressive jazz genre. Karma is just repetitively wanking really fast. Like, if this Sup Forums can bitch out Tame Impala for being watered down psych rock, idk why we can't do that for these two artists. Oh wait, I know why you guys get triggered, because jazz takes a lot more to fully discern, and you can't handle the fact that you're with jazz what most Nickelback or Tame Impala fans are to rock.

>grammar
>on Sup Forums
i'm probs the best poet you'll ever speak to, best learn some respect

>coherence isn't required stop being a grammar nazi
There's a difference between misspelling something and writing incoherent crap like you did. But then, i wouldn't expect much from someone who thinks Mingus is a good example of jazz.

I watched Bird for the first time the other night, was alright. I fell asleep at the end though and got woken up by sweet credits bebop. Gotta watch the last half hour again

>i can't read

You watched a bird late night lol?

he's basically making a point
a lotr of Pharoah's music, for instance is just a 1 or 2 chord ostinato
not a lot of substance
this type of thing appeals more to someone who's accustomed to listening to music coming from rock & roll than it does to someone who's a jazz musician or dedicated fan

dude, that movie sucks

youtube.com/watch?v=RZOAcdnkOOI

what did he mean by this?

Education over skill, musical intelligence is more required. The 78 year-old guy I speak to from time to time is a poet, yet he's shown an advance level of understanding on theory.

Black Saint is a ballet first and foremost. That said, it is not purist Jazz. But, to compare it to those that capitulate to pop is, well...

How can you call bad? I mean yeah ok it doesn't really get started until 00:30 but the rhythmic structures are actually interesting, the dissonance works and you can hear the feeling in the piece

ok user. you win. i tip my fedora to you

it's garbage man.

How come every jazz threads always turns into "ACTUALLY YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT X, IT'S ACTUALLY Y"

come comes down to an individuals view of what makes a piece fit into a genre

>jazz threads
You're actually describing all of Sup Forums though

because that one dude really didn't want me to say i enjoy jazz.

any recs for a guy that loves Mingus Ah Um and Karma? I've been tip-toeing into Coltrane and Miles Davis, but there's just some much stuff from everyone

>any recs for a guy that loves Mingus Ah Um and Karma? I've been tip-toeing into Coltrane and Miles Davis, but there's just some much stuff from everyone
get the fuck out and never comeback.

Thoughts on Vijay Iyer?

Sax!

i'm just trying to find new music bud, why are you so hostile?

The words and knowledge of musical academic with the gatekeeping mentality of a metalhead

personally or his music?
he's a smart dude, ahd he's also privileged and pretentious snob who can't really play tunes
that cover is funny as hell

check out John Coltrane's records on Impulse starting with the record Coltrane

>it's garbage man.
Save yourself the unnecessary frustration and leave this sad excuse for a music board forever. These are the replies you're going to get, slightly modified if someone bothers to do even that.

Jazz threads were always really cool until a few people started sperging out hard anytime someone would mention any kind of theory terminology in a jazz thread and they started the whole REAL JAZZ FANS meme.

This caused most of the jazz fans who actually do like talking about music to backlash even harder or just leave the board altogether. So now you have this where any time you post a jazz album that you like you're either going to be accused of being a theory nerd jtg drone or a rockist. And anytime you say you don't like a jazz album for any reason at all, someone's going to freak the fuck out about it.

Nope, I definitely can. Thus why it's incoherent shit. You could've at this point just more accurately stated what you wanted to say, but you continue to argue with me on what is essentially off topic shit at this point. Get your head out of your ass.
>Black Saint
>ballet
Written as a ballet doesn't mean it's actually one. It certainly doesn't have the complexity of works that are otherwise ballets like say...Le Sacre Du Printemps. Black Saint is pop music with slight classical and jazz inspirations sprinkled on top. No different than any art pop like Kid A which is also pop music with classical and jazz inspired bits. That's why so many casuals gravitate towards that album.

samefag af

the wording of this post had some serious potential user, kek'd regardless

So...it's okay if it's any genre but metal and jazz. But it's perfectly fine if it's any other genre as Sup Forums does that with all the others. Gotcha.

>casuals
what instrument do you play bruh? and how long have you been playing for?
btw, how old are you?

The work itself is quite sophisticated. To sit around and argue that it's not as complex as so-and-so is juvenile. In fact, so is the latter statement. You a bitch.

What the fuck are you even saying, you whiny bitch. Go take your autism pills and quit posting on your dad's computer.

Guitar (bass and slide occasionally as well), piano/keys, alto saxophone. Alto for 13 years, guitar for 10, piano for 9.
It's less a juvenile competition as you make it out to be, and more a how much the work has to offer. Black Saint is on par with typical art rock album because of it's lack of expressive playing and more repetitive beat oriented structure.

Basically that having elitism on this site or even other places where music is discussed on the internet is okay except when it comes to metal or jazz. Hell, metal and jazz are the ones where I hear the most bitching about elitism from the same people that'll easily act elitist about how "x rock band is casual shit, y rock band is so much better" or do the same with hip hop, indie, dance, whatever other music they are more familiar with. But the instant somebody does that with a music they aren't familiar with, they cry.

hmm....i guess you're right. sorry for calling you a whiny bitch earlier. I just fly off the handle sometimes.

See? You're fucking with me. No mas.

Not him but you're talking dumb shit, get an understanding of essential jazz records from different time periods and artists. You can ask for recs when you have actually explored the genre a little bit

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
Any body else think it is nice? I sure do.

ok user, that's a decent amount of time.
so, you're maybe like 20 years old?
what music do you play?
do you live in or near a large metro area in the u.s.?

it has a good start

yes, it's a nice record.
personally, i think it's a great record.

Same here, lad. Another one of my favourites is Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall. The performance of Epistrophy is one of the best.

Are these threads always like "this"?

see