/sample/

Old thread has died, here's another. Post yr soundclouds, sketches, WIP etc. Talk gear, software, tips and the like.

I've got an SP-404 which I used to trigger loops in my old band and now going sadly unused so I'm going to try and get my head around the cumbersome workflow and make some beats. Wish me luck guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I4XhtuwnGB4
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/visiting-the-broken-parts
soundcloud.com/from_downtown/loyal
youtube.com/watch?v=2neMRqYkw_s
soundcloud.com/lleluia/coastal-memories
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/album/my-belly-full-of-precious-water-continuous-mix
youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-e42IFCL0
soundcloud.com/freddie-floyd
youtu.be/p7sCLlIbeN8
soundcloud.com/psychicdiet
psychicdiet.bandcamp.com/releases
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=I4XhtuwnGB4
>Sample based music and videos
>impc pro app on iPad
>Love you guys

404's are so much fun, you can just resample for days. The real madness comes about when you start hand triggering everything, like Dilla did. Granted it's hard as hell to keep a steady drumbeat going while you switch banks and trigger the arrangements, but it IS conducive to some weird and amusing output that pulls on sources from loads of media.

kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/track/visiting-the-broken-parts

Damn yeah that would be a dream. Would take a lot of practice to be that dextrous, although I have no problem tapping out a good rhythm in real time. Will probably stick with the pattern record mode to start with (no quanitize!)

When I make patterns on my old SP-404 certain samples drop out like it's running out of polyphony but it happens when there's only 4-5 simultaneous samples

any idea for how to repair

Also one pad doesnt trigger

I'm guessing it's from spilling coffee on it about 20 times

Nah just as you said its got a poly limit. If you resample or pattern with stero mode off ypu get the most you can out of it. Sykll omly like 4 sounds at once can happen.. Id suggest using the sp for its effects, processing the samples and drums in beats. Also suggest just recording like a whole 4 bar measure of drums live intp the comp. Than looping those drums. Than record the sample chops over that. Then ypu have two or more tracks you can process and eq after ward. Aswell as live feel drums that arent a 3 sec loop. Gives you music a freedom and open the room up for space in the music. Istead of trying to bang out a beats all at once

!2 sample polyphony, IIRC.
There are several DIY fixes to your broken pad on the web.

I wanna buy a sampler to just do live jams with, any recommendations? Is the SP-404 *the* piece to get or are there other options?

Also here's my favorite track I've done if we're sharing:
soundcloud.com/from_downtown/loyal

So does a stereo track count as 2 'voices'? If I record samples through the mic in like a synth bass drum and its set to record stereo is that a waste of polyphony

I think it might, but i'm hazy. Forget using the onboard mic - I feel like the best way to load up th SP is to take the SD card out once it's formatted by the sampler, stick it into your PC and load it up with 16 bit wavs on via the included roland software.
Or use a proper recording set up linked into a digital recorder or yer DAW, then record your instruments or vocals, pull the wavs off the card/hd and convert them if need be before slotting them into you SP's memory card.

Well the 404 is pretty limited, but you can still get a lot out of it if you're willing to put the time in to learn the ins and outs. Dr No's Oxperiment is entirely made using a 404 for example.

The best alternative for something standalone would be an MPC1000 but they're becoming harder to get hold of.

Yes, stereo counts as two voices on the 404 so if all your samples are in stereo you're halving your polyphony. Best to pick and choose when you use stereo and mono to best advantage or use resampling to layer multiple samples together.

How the fuck did Anco make MPP with mainly 404s?

Probably cut their loops to perfection in a DAW

You do it live, and you have someone monitor recording process. If this sounds impossible, check this out.

youtube.com/watch?v=2neMRqYkw_s

They used 555s.

Fuck. I wish I'd sprung for one when I had the chance. You could perform video art and music at the same time on those things.

Not at the time. Geo used the 404, Panda used a 303 (possibly two, I know he used two 303s for Person Pitch era live shows). It was a bit later that Panda upgraded to a 555.

Damn I was watching these vids the other day. They're on a boat right? Looks like fucking chill.

Yeah, they're in paris or some shit. In a magical place where people live on boats and give impromptu concerts while passing blunts on a houseboat moored in a canal.

good stuff

soundcloud.com/lleluia/coastal-memories

Back again with that new track. Returning feedback n shit
Any of you guys turntablists or you all doing this shit digital/analog?

Decent, though i'd say to reconsider your mixing. Some things don't fit well with the track.
DAYUM THIS IS BANGING

>impc pro
how

I do everything on gear, and turntablism was always a natural extension of straight up deejaying that really fit into my live work quite nicely.
kingscountylighthouse.bandcamp.com/album/my-belly-full-of-precious-water-continuous-mix

I wish more cats were into skratchin'. It's an amazing feeling.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-e42IFCL0

I sampled about 7 different songs for this gem here. It's got great variation and super nice switchups.

My soundcloud is:
soundcloud.com/freddie-floyd

Almost all of my songs have samples.

Bump
This better not die

I'm new to Logic pro and using the program for music class. feedback would appreciated

youtu.be/p7sCLlIbeN8

bumb

You sure this is for a music class? Cause i don't see much music theory applied here. Not that it sounds terrible, it's not a bad start.

>Four-to-the-floor Kicks
>With no snares
>or hats

The sampling isn't necessarily bad but I think you could do a lot more with it. Typically when you sample, you do it out of the idea that you're creating something entirely new--that you're putting your own spin to something. Saying this as someone whose seen the anime, this carries the exact same feel that Devilman Crybaby had. When you sample, you want to create an entirely new feel not just entirely backpack off the original. It feels like you just took the easiest chop and just added the most basic drum pattern possible.

Above all, remember, the way you sample and the way you overlay the sample with material is a personality of who you are and what you want to manifest to the world.

Hope I helped.

soundcloud.com/psychicdiet
psychicdiet.bandcamp.com/releases
>noise, loud, pop, clarity, distortion, samples and midi
what DAW do yall use? using logic pro 9 myself.

forgot album cover

A b l e t o n L i v e
T i l l
I
d i e

I chop / play drums on controller but I clean it up in a DAW afterwards

Been using Ableton for like, 4 years now

ty b
i know the mixing is kind of fucked on that one. some of the other tracks are mixed better
for me impc pro helped me nail down the workflow.
i recently got an akai midi controller mpd232 but haven't figured out how to best use it yet. does *not* have as good integration with the impc pro app as the retronyms guy implied >:0
i've got ableton 10 and MPC Essentials installed on the MacBook, plus beatmaker 3 on the iPad which all have good midi controller integration but I don't know every button like i do with impc pro. anyone with advice on this?

BUMP