/daily/ - "funeral march" edition

I made a thread can I be apart of the daily chart now

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mhpxmjduS68
twitter.com/yukoz1/status/967572584370987009
cpokemon.com/seccion/herramientas/tipos/en/
mega.nz/#!F0IHRJQS!fL9Nyw7V_lwVUBhzIX-YVNVQQ50LkaR8rWeex8vQP6c
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lasalle-quartett/neue-wiener-schule-die-streichquartette/
youtube.com/watch?v=zPdAIHAt1lE
lmgtfy.com/?q=miho kei jazz eleven filefactory surfingtheodyssey.blogspot.si
archive.org/stream/RecordCollectorDream/3001RecordCollectorDreams#page/n13/mode/2up
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

don't patronize me, Nat

wow we truly ded af today bois

great

e

wtf

ooh hahah

/Dead/ly

What The Fuck

what are you pointing to mate

Just logged in to my old email and had a hearty chuckle at my reply to this ad.
Luckily the ad was still up so I could screenshot it too, one of the dumbest classified ads I've ever seen.

How's y'all day going? I went to a quaint little book store today and found more books I'm probably going to buy......

Its Finnegans Wake

thanks for pointing that out I wouldn't have seen otherwise

my wife's boyfriend brought home soy burgers!! Score!!!!

If the resulting vagina is an innie gimme a call

rec me stuff k thanks.

what a lazy, pathetic post

I didn't know what else to say user, what do you suggest?

was this posted here before it looks familiar

do you use rym?

You must have accidentally forgot to include the jazz and classical, a common mistake it seems.

the apostrophe?

what a lazy, pathetic post

don't patronize me, Soymacher

yeah I post often on /daily/ and chart boards to broaden my music tastes and hear new music.

im guessing you don't post much based on your chart?

Cool

What do you think of M83

well kinda I recently joined Sup Forums about a couple months ago.

I know Midnight City, but haven't really listed to a full album of theirs.

Listen to Wire, Fugazi, Minutemen and Husker Du

thanks user, appreciate it.

i actually just forgot to remove your little blurb when i copy pasted lol

Jordan Peterson is coming to my school next Tuesday and the commies are right fired up.
This should be interesting.

Also got my next avant CD picked out for Thursday; I'll try to steer away from vinyl rips for a while.

Reading up on Peterson makes me believe he's a cool person. I can understand the commies being triggered by his presence.

oh yeah I'm still alive and doing this, here are some short thoughts or w/e

>Grazia - Grazia
A 16 year old girl with a powerful voice leads the groove backed by psychedelic guitars and moog sounds. The result are catchy turkish pop tunes that penetrate with a bright singularity.
8-

>Jorge Reyes & Antonio Zepeda - A la Izquierda del Colibrí
I'm did not feel that second track at all, leaving that behind, their use of diverse elements to create this hypnotic prehispanic-like record is interesting.

>Craig Kupka - Clouds: Music for Relaxation
Soothing as most ambient should be but nothing else.
6.5+

>Rão Kyao - Oásis
Organic traditional sounds that make you feel the breeze of the sea on a sunset.
8-

>Steve Hiett - Down on the Road by the Beach
A warm album that spans a palette formed by ambient, smooth jazz and surf music, creating a hazy melodic journey.
9-

Wew lads, the state of this board. DOn't let /daily/ die pls, I don't want to roam Sup Forums alone.

Oh wow, Eric was actually cute when he was younger.

wew what happened

Would reccomend you listen to Hurry up or Dead Cities, you're bound to like them

anarchists really bust my buffers

what the fuck
youtu.be/mhpxmjduS68

wtf indeed

Does anybody have any recommended books on classical composers in the 20th century? Definitely a topic I want to learn more about.

Do you think /classical/ might have something interesting to offer?

holy shit you can't be serious, I was going to ask this same exact question in this exact thread about the same era.
spooky

The Rest Is Noise by Alex Ross
Words Without Music by Philip Glass

Both were pretty good

oh yeah good idea

lmao incredible

thanks!

Good books on avant-garde composers are typically rare and expensive so I'd recommend checking your local library and seeing what they have.
I rented Xenakis' Formalized Music recently and learned pretty quickly that the math is beyond my understanding; and his explanations are pretty non-helpful. Still interesting though, especially the diagrams/scores and song process explanations.

yeah good idea

twitter.com/yukoz1/status/967572584370987009

anybody excited for this?

>Luciano Cilio - Dialoghi Del Presente 9/10
A ballet never performed, a tragedy never written, a heroic never conceived. Any attempt to put my thoughts into complete words would just embarrass myself, so I'll simply end with this; Dialoghi Del Presente could, quite possibly, be the most emotional piece of music I have or ever will have the privilege of listening to.
>Tim Buckley - Dream Letter 1968 8.5/10
Never have I heard a voice before be able to express such emotion in such deep tones and colors as I have with Tim Buckley on Dream Letter 1968. The textures the backing band creates, the improvised guitar melodies that manage to weave between the vocals complimenting every second of Buckley's delivery, not a second on this performance is wasted or rushed. Just behind 98.12.28 on my favorite live performances, what a treat!
>Olivier Messiaen: Steve Osborne - Vingt regards sur l-enfant-Jesus 6.5?/10
I don't know much about classical music, or really religion for that matter, so unfortunately this performance was lost on me. I'd like to revisit this sometime in the near future, where I don't feel rushed/tired from work. Overall, great performance on the surface, just wish I was able to comprehend more.

>The Cure - Disintegration 7/10
I can understand the user's comment a lot more know, yes having been in love before I did enjoy this record because of it. Dreamy pop melodies coupled with reverb heavy vocals, a great 80's pop album where song after song keeps you on your feet. I especially love Robert Smtih's vocals on this, gives each track this dark, intense emotion to them. Kills the Smiths by a long shot.
>Cocteu Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas 6/10
First time listening to Cocteau Twins, and I gotta say I can finally see the hype behind them. Perfectly mastered jangle tunes, with noise-rock fuzzled textures, just a great pop album throughout.
>Novos Baianos Acabou Chorare
Wow, this was great. I intially wanted to give this a much lower rating, blowing it off as just another Samba record, but after listening to this twice already today, and twice yesterday, I can safely say Acabou Chorare is a record like no other. Latin rythms will forever be lost on me, I just can't understand what about them makes them so danceable, so melodic, and so damn infectious with energy and fun. I normally don't give pop albums 4.0's or above, but Acabou Chorare, in my heart, has become an instant favorite for me and deserves such a high praise.

Jangle gib
also where is ol boy sdc

bump

cpokemon.com/seccion/herramientas/tipos/en/
How patrician is /daily/?

the fuck cilio sucks balls and messiaen is great you got it all wrong

Were you the one who posted about a psychedelic looking book a couple weeks ago? Can't remember the name but I think it was about a diary of a guy who collected private press/rarities

The only pokemon worth having is oddish and all its evolutions.

lol

Yeah, Feel the Music by Paul Major. It's great

i hate writing about film scores i'm glad this chart is over

Zbigniew Preisner - Trois couleurs: Bleu (1993)
>modern classical, film score

This is very, very obviously a score, although it's a score that can stand on its own legs when removed from the context of the film. It's a delicate yet effortlessly sweeping modern classical record, performed immaculately with an incredibly enveloping atmosphere. It's not the most exciting and there are some moments where it certainly lulls, but it's nice throughout.

3.0+

Эдyapд Apтeмьeв - Solaris [Coляpиc] (1972)
>film score, electroacoustic, ambient

Ahead of its time electroacoustic work that still sounds futuristic nearly 50 years on. There are some absolutely monstrous drones here, super atmospheric and thick, for lack of a better word. I dig it.

3.0+

Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line (1999)
>film score, modern classical

Zimmer's work usually falls under the category of faux-epic trailer music type stuff, and some of this sadly falls under that category. There's a recurring motif that is properly epic and bombastic and still really, really enjoyable, but a lot of the other stuff here just seems phony and passionless. I love "God Yu Tekem Laef Blong Mi", I wish more stuff was like it.

2.5+

Aimee Mann - Music From the Motion Picture Magnolia (1999)
>singer/songwriter, pop rock, film soundtrack

Mann's songs are decent enough folky pop rock. She's got a great voice, the arrangements are well-done, they're just ultimately bland. "Wise Up" and "Save Me" are good, and I'm always happy to hear "Goodbye Stranger".

2.0+

Mihály Víg - Filmzenék Tarr Béla filmjeihez (2001)
>film score, minimalism, modern classical

The two pieces from Werckmeister harmóniák stand out as the best pieces here, absolutely pummeling pieces of minimalistic classical music. The rest varies a lot in style. There's tango, electronic, straight-up minimalism, and Mihály manages them all shockingly well.

3.0+

I wasn't so lost after all, was typing mexican and summer in the search bar since I remembered it had something to do with the book, anyway thanks

Ennio Morricone - Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (1966)
>film score, spaghetti western

i don't even need to say that this is good

3.0+

Oneohtrix Point Never - Good Time (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (2017)
>progressive electronic, film score

I'm impressed that Lopatin made a film score so distinctly singular and a product of his own vision, but that's not to say this is one of his better works. He doesn't take on this prog electronic/berlin school style very well, a lot of these pieces go absolutely nowhere and the sound is just derivative of a lot of Tangerine Dream's scores. I love the track with Iggy Pop, though, and I'm excited to see if Lopatin scores any more films.

2.0+

here's what i've been vibing to recently
any recs?

I'm not a /daily/ poster, just wanted to share mine since I'm a /vp/ browser

Terrestre - Secondary Inspection

Damn I'm just now realizing I only played the original generation and don't recognize 80% of these choices

hey my boys I just uploaded the recent leak for Zs - Noth

it's in 192kbps for now but hey at least now it's finally available

mega.nz/#!F0IHRJQS!fL9Nyw7V_lwVUBhzIX-YVNVQQ50LkaR8rWeex8vQP6c

I only played 3rd gen
I just really like pokemon designs

got this
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lasalle-quartett/neue-wiener-schule-die-streichquartette/
box set recently and I might bump it up to a 10. Few things this long are this enjoyable through and through

>Kills the Smiths by a long shot.
for sure

are we talking design-wise or like competitively bc I hated the designs of almost all the pokemon I used competitively. This list is my favorite design-wise

i don't think anyone asked for this but i appreciate you for taking the time

This tourney may take a while based on my progress so far.

[1/2]

The Midnight Eez - s/t

Honestly, the story behind this project is the biggest draw. Produced by two unknown New Yorkers in the mid 90s and given to a DJ Slyce with minimal info (the tracklisting and a pager number) before they completely fell off the face of the Earth. This thing is a complete mystery otherwise and left untouched until 2011. Always love hearing about this kinda shit.

Story aside, this is a tight collection of instrumentals, filled with jazzy loops, cozy boom bap beats and a real straightforward approach. Nothing about this is really innovative or complex in any way - but it’s damn solid and manages to paint this comforting, nostalgic vibe I really love from this style. “Childhood Memories” and “Dust” are the real standouts here and managed to put me in this awesome introspective zone. “New York’s Devils” also has the same sample as Dre’s “Deep Cover” and while the later is clearly better, it’s wild to hear a sample flipped in such dramatically different ways. This project also doesn’t seem too dated or linked to the era - the atmosphere on here could easily be put down by some modern boom bap guy like Exile or Black Milk.

Great stuff for an instrumental tape - nice and concise at 25 minutes, manages to paint this cozy / hazy atmosphere, and just easy to nod your head along to.

7/10

Ultramagnetic MCs - The Four Horsemen

Kool Keith has grown on me a lot lately, as has a fair amount of abstract hip-hop in general but this still has most of the same pros / cons I end up listing. The production on this album is straightforward boom bap with a slight hint of weirdness - the beats often loop with an awkward horn sample (“Saga”), one that’s a touch too trill or squeaky, or that’s echoed one too many times (“Checkin My Style”). It isn’t weird by 90s standards and definitely not for today’s but I can’t help think there’s something a bit on edge about some of these beats. Kinda cool to hear that style.

Lyrically though, this album showcases a lot of what I don’t like about abstract hip-hop. Kool Keith is charismatic as usual on this, throwing out all sorts of weird references and rolling with it quite well. However, it sometimes becomes a bit much as references are packed tightly and almost obnoxiously into the tracks. Keith usually pulls it off as I said but the rest of the group is nowhere as charismatic and it ultimately ends up feeling like a laundry list of weird names and jokes to throw out. The album (and Keith I’d argue) is at its best when it’s completely in its own world. Songs like “Two Brothers”, “Bring It Back Down to Earth” and “Time to Catch a Body” are the standouts imo and it’s because they commit so heavy to the theme. “Bring It Back Down to Earth” is a great sci-fi themed cut that sounds like Keith’s solo stuff and “Time to Catch a Body” is so flat out absurd that it’s hilarious. Sometimes it goes too far - others it doesn't go far enough. Guess it's hard to find that balance.

As a whole, this album is pretty fun but suffers from a lot of the same consistency issues that I think dominate so much of this abstract style.

6+/10

we have very different taste in hip-hop I am slowly finding out

How so? I'm guessing you lean more toward abstract, while I don't?

In the past year or so I've found that weird production is much more up my alley than weird flows/subject matter.

well it's more like everything that annoyed you with my rec is everything that I love

Love keith's weird delivery. All the pop culture references and clever, subtle punchlines.
Saga is probably my favorite cut lmao. Ced G carries that track (as opposed to keith who usually steals the show).
Love those weird, conflicting samples too.

Oh damn yeah that's pretty wild. I think we're drawn to different things based on that but I can see why you'd like the album so much. Definitely has some dope moments and an incredibly unique vibe!

I did actually dig "Saga" a fair amount though! The production stood out in particular and the "black baseball" theme between them was awesome.

i feel sickened

Pokemon post gen 4 I don't even recognise jeez

How the fuck did I completely forget about how much I love Mort Garson

Why no sharethread these days?
I wanna drop pic related

y-you can drop it here friend

youtube.com/watch?v=zPdAIHAt1lE

lmgtfy.com/?q=miho kei jazz eleven filefactory surfingtheodyssey.blogspot.si

i own a full shadowless base set

Goldmine ahoy:

archive.org/stream/RecordCollectorDream/3001RecordCollectorDreams#page/n13/mode/2up

Bump

nice :8)
one album or three or what you want boss

opinions?

link wray is patrician. So is LMY
Pretty 3.0+ heavy today, eh?

>ultra beasts
>gen 7 pokemon in general
>mega evolutions
enjoy your digimon, nerds

some good stuff on there yeah

Any tips on finding the prostate? I have heard you should look for something walnut shaped/sized, but I can't seem to find it. Been trying to touch the base of the dick from the inside, so to say, and sometimes felt a place where it feels better. Also a prostate massager(aneros clone) can feel like it hits a good spot, but I can't feel a bump like the "walnut" with my fingers. Does being hornier make it bigger, like would abstaining from masturbating for a while and then getting really horny before beginning make it easier to find. My finger is not super long either, it's like 8cm, do you think that's long enough enough?

Pentastar is fucking good, Strawberry Switchblade is qtpiecore and how did you go all this time without hearing Atomizer?

>Great stuff for an instrumental tape - nice and concise at 25 minutes, manages to paint this cozy / hazy atmosphere, and just easy to nod your head along to.
ACE

glad you liked it!

man the first track on plantasia always makes me tear up i don't even know why

i love melted so much

>Pretty 3.0+ heavy today, eh?
i'm losing my edge

oh, is this a favorites chart or a to-listen-to chart?

Just completely bombed an interview
I think I'm finding that I don't really have much interest in computer science outside my classes and I don't really want to spend time around people who are really into cs because they tend to be dull fucking people

Aaaahhh I feel the same way
Why can I find no interesting CS people who listen to music irl they just all act like an embodiment of r/funny

I understand this feel, but there are companies out there that have a lot of creative/interesting cs people. It depends on where you're located though I suppose.

bost recent listens

Last 7 days

mitch and soft cell are always good choices