Is trying to get into jazz music without knowing theory pointless?

Is trying to get into jazz music without knowing theory pointless?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UYS1QMorSxg
youtube.com/watch?v=XKib8EXXbD4
youtube.com/watch?v=NWYWgda5f0I
youtube.com/watch?v=fsAMAIaas94
youtube.com/watch?v=GEvru0HLKJc
youtube.com/watch?v=YRiwDuzadl0
clyp.it/ibujutcq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have no knowledge of jazz theory, but I know what I enjoy listening too. Just don't act like a snob when you talk about shit you don't know about.

Of course not.
This man will save your taste, your life, and your marriage.

It's not entirely pointless, however it may limit you from enjoying some of it.

Music will be music.

Def not, but it may be harder to get into some of the more challenging pieces. You should learn music theory anyway though, really helps with playing and composing, and lets you appreciate a lot of music more

you can still appreciate the jazz aesthetic. listen to the drums and bass and you can still groove along.

Of course not, you don't need to know theory to appreciate the technicality of Art Tatum, the vocal supremacy of Sarah Vaughan, the jovial melodicism of Errol Garner, the esoteric artistry of Lennie Tristano, or anyone else.

Most people would be best getting into it by reading up on it tho, which most people won't. The History of Jazz is a phenomenal book by Gioia, but you should be able to appreciate this:

youtube.com/watch?v=UYS1QMorSxg

It's music for the sake of music. Everything they do is for music's sake. Not music for technical displays, but pure expressiveness, and it's all meant to be enjoyed.

Of course, knowledge of theory will give you a profound appreciation for Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain, but it's ultimately all meant to be enjoyed at face value by everyone. Colorful melodies ass far as the ear can hear, rich expressions that are universally relateable, and unless you're listening to a HACK like Kenny G or McCoy Tyner, you should enjoy it immediately and immensely.

And FUCK Kenny G and McCoy Tyner, worthless imbeciles.

Seriously, if I could punch any one or two musicians in the face, Kenny G and McCoy Tyner. Absolute assholes.

youtube.com/watch?v=XKib8EXXbD4

Listen to this twat, what a fucking prick.

Here is how this should sound when you have talent and artistic vision:

youtube.com/watch?v=NWYWgda5f0I

Why is McCoy Tyner a hack? Extensions is kino

knowing dope jazz chords (aug7, m7b5, dom9, etc.) doesn't really require any sort of knowledge of theory.
just memorization of chord shapes.

nah shit fucking grooves

I've tried musictheory.net multiple times but I'm too dumb to understand it

Hack: Trite from overuse. He hacks his bag of tricks up in one awful performance. No joy or pure emotion attached to anything he does.

DISSONANCE, QUIET RUNS, LOOK MOMMY, I'M A PIANIST!

Art Tatum fortunately doesn't need to roll over in his grave because he's already blind. Lennie Tristano and Bill Evans tho, are rolling so fast it's causing earthquakes in Guam.

McCoy Tyner is based

what if I don't know music theory but have a theory about music ??

He's base alright, as basic as it comes. Fucking morons pressing all the keys and hoping it sticks, monotonous dope.

Kenny G tier, but gets a pass because he's black.

If I stay indoors for a year like Charlie Parker and unplug the internet and TV and only read theory books and play will I 'learn jazz'?

good good, let the hate flow through you

the only way to get better is to play with a group of guys

autism

Hey, I don't listen to him, I listen to better musicians who can express feelings in music, not this "I'mma get his every key until people assume I have something worthwhile to say"

Projection.

Inarticulate taint lickers.

You can still enjoy jazz quite a bit if you don't understand any theory or know anything about playing music. You'll just sound like an idiot if you try to talk about jazz at all, unless you hang around people who play jazz or read a lot about it.

The people who know the most about jazz and can talk about it intelligently and in depth almost invariably play jazz themselves.

but what if they ask me if i'm rushing or dragging

I'm fairly sure McCoy Tyner is playing piano on the second one.

sounds like you've only heard Tyner on later Coltrane's more maximalist albums, maybe you'll hear more jazz one day kiddo

then start practicing with a metronome every time you practice. also, lock into what the bassist is doing more than drummer. really listen.
just buy a real book and find some dudes, and you're fuckin set.

I namedropped Lennie Tristano twice and you're telling me maybe I'll hear more Jazz?

Now THIS is pretentious. The false pretense being you've heard all this jazz and I'm such an ignorant fool for having not heard it too. See? That's how you use pretentious as a criticism, you elaborate and justify it.

Sometimes you should rush/drag depending on if the performance calls for it, but if you want precision, practice with a metronome.

Y'know that Charlie Parker didn't lock himself? He practiced a lot, but he also played a lot with just about everyone, studied theory a lot, listened to way too much music (especially 20th century classical, big fan of Bartok and Stravinsky).
Dude, just get out there and play. Worst thing you can do if you're trying to learn how to play jazz is to not play. Even if you only know how to play basic tunes (I Got Rhythm/All The Things You Are/Autumn Leaves/the blues) and improvise over that, it's a running start.

>I namedropped Lennie Tristano
so you're proving you don't actually know anything and have to resort to name dropping to pretend like you're knowledgeable got it

Once you learn jazz and you have second thoughts how do you unlearn it

trips of confusion

You don't.

You can't namedrop people until you, y'know, learned about them and who they are.

But go ahead, demonstrate your knowledge. "Uh guys, I really like McCoy Tyner and I heard one album he did once and I bet you didn't hear it sooooo, I'm kinda an expert." Embarrassing. No wonder your mother doesn't look you in the eyes when you visit.

>how do you unlearn it
by honing into how YOU play personally and accentuating that, flaws or not. style is everything.

Isn't jazz basically 0.5% a branch davidian tier cult and 99.5% people pretending to like it

Why do so many normies know the names of miles davis and john coltrane and say they 'like' it yet be completely clueless about most alternative music

depends how 'jazzy' it is. there are some things in jazz that i feel can only be cool and interesting to theory nerds whose brains are wired in that way, but i'd say most jazz can be enjoyed on a more fun superficial level. i mean jazz has a reasonably big fan and there's only a tiny minority of people who can deeply analyse complex pieces of music on a theoretical level without some serious effort, so i don't think it's a requirement.

jokes on you, i'm NEET, i'm always visiting

checkmate atheists

Nigga just do free jazz and call yourself an avant garde artist

Why would anyone pretend to like a normally enjoyable genre?

can anybody tell me the difference between bop, post-bop and hard-bop?
are these just words made up to spook white people?

this is true

>bop
short for bebop. The movement when jazz became more chromatic and harmonically and ambitious. Generally played at fast tempos meant to be musically challenging.

>hard bop
a continuation of bebop. Not as much focus on tempo and often uses influences of gospel and/or Afro-Cuban music. The soloing style is still typically very similar to bebop.

>post-bop
Now incorporating elements of free/avant-garde playing and modal chord progressions. But still usually rooted in bebop.

could you give me a few definitive examples of all three?
let's test my ears

serious question: how did the nogs learn so much about music if they weren’t even allowed in white people schools?

They played instruments

I play instruments and I don’t know any of these fancy negro chords and modes

you either get jazz or you don't. nobody is pretending.

>bebop
youtube.com/watch?v=fsAMAIaas94
>hard bop
youtube.com/watch?v=GEvru0HLKJc
>post-bop
youtube.com/watch?v=YRiwDuzadl0

>bebop
Charlie Parker- Dial and Savoy Sessions
The Quintet- Jazz at Massey Hall

>hard bop
Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers
John Coltrane- Blue Train

>post-bop
Miles Davis- Miles Smiles
Andrew Hill- Point of Departure

a lot of black jazz players were actually black free masons. look up Albert Hall and Sun Ra's connection to it.

also every jazz musician had a jew behind them, financing them.

Holy shit. Nice picks.

cheers buddies

>albert hall
meant *Prince Hall*

that prince albert in a can joke made me brainfart.

Lmao nice

>jews tought them how to play music
wow thanks user it all makes sense now

I was so fucking surprised when I realized we had basically picked the same stuff, but it actually made me smile.

I guess at least a couple of us know a few things about jazz

Get ready to get slapped.

clyp.it/ibujutcq

me and the gang were laying down some zippity but we dont know where to take it from here, i was thinking an add8 transfugal modalation when the zim zam floopity

How did Jews know what notes to play to corrupt the aryan youth/

the jews didn't know anything about the music really.
They knew record producers, musicians, composers, venue owners, newspaper publishers, etc.

This.

NOT MY FUCKING TEMPO

itll just make everything so much harder. just take a class at any university honestly. once they give u the tools u can jump right in.

You think you "get" it but you're just pretending. I'm not trying to change your mind, i know i can't, so keep on living in a lie.

SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG

There is no theory its just a myth to keep the little man down.