Is Man of Steel christiankino?

Is Man of Steel christiankino?

Yes, there's a reason everyone who hates on this and BvS is a plebbit fedora-tipper.

Atheists will NEVER understand the beauty of these films as long as they turn away from God's light.

You people should read Grant Morrison's Supergods, the DC heroes aren't really about modern organized religions perse, but more about old mythological paganism.

I think Justice League is going to follow that more. Christ Terrio, who wrote BvS, said he was thinking about Superman and Batman as Apollo and Pluto. Geoff Johns explicitly portrayed the League as our modern pantheon in his run, and he's also writing Justice League. So I think we're going to get more of that, even though there's already a good deal of it in BvS.

I'm not a Christian, but I'm well versed in Christianism. Snyder's intent to literally use the story of Jesus as his "hero's journey" template is more than evident. And I'm not sure if it really works. It's very on the nose sometimes.

The ship entering the atmosphere as the Star of Bethlehem when God sends his son to Earth; the Kents being Joseph and Mary; Lois Lane representing the disciples; The scene where he offers himself to the Army (Romans) and General Zod (Satan/Jews) is literally the Passion; the Crucifixion in space; the Resurrection, etc.

I suppose Christians must love it, though.

Superman in MoS and BvS is identified with the story of Jesus, without him literally being Jesus in a CS Lewis way. In fact, MoS in particular makes a point of showing him to not be Jesus, not be perfect.

In MoS, Jor El says to Clark that he can "embody the best of both worlds." The best of Earth is seen in the story of Jesus and his example. The best of Krypton is the House of El, and with it the Crest, which means "Hope."

So in this much-maligned shot
Snyder isn't saying "durr supperman is jeses," it's showing Clark choosing to embody the best of both worlds. You have the Jesus symbolism and the "Hope" symbol in the same shot.

So Clark isn't Jesus, he's a guy following the example of Jesus.

I couldn't agree more, user.

On another level, I personally believe that the imagery serves an even deeper purpose. I think it's there to tell us what the other characters look at him and see. In that shot, there's the "ghost" of his own father, a man who said "He'll be a god to them," looking at his own son and seeing that in earth's environment, Kryptonians even look like gods to other Kryptonians. In Jor-El's case, he too sees a savior deity.

Oh yeah absolutely, that's a recurring thing in Man of Steel and BvS. The other characters in both films, moreso in BvS, are constantly projecting their own idea of God or their father or whatever onto Superman. When, in reality, "he's just a guy trying to do the right thing."

OP, your image, what is it trying to say exactly?
Snyder is too deep for me.

He is deeper than most other capeshit directors.

The problem is that he gets really shitty scripts to work with.

I don't think thats going to change considering that WB still keeps giving Goyer work on capeshit.

Too clumsy and heavy-handed.

If by "christiankino" you mean bland imagery that even a 7 years old would recognize, yes.

As an atheist, I am constantly surprised to see people bash on this movie's Christian themes. Like it or not, this country was founded on Christian morals, principles, and values, and the traditions of Christianity naturally carry into American film. I think the problem is not with people who don't understand and/or are confused by biblical themes (which is basically impossible in America), but rather with people that vehemently reject these concepts because they go against their worldview.

Man of Steel is a powerful movie that examines the presence of a God-like figure that has come to Earth, whether by chance or by divine intervention, to "save" them. But on the inside, Kal-El is just a man. He isn't ready for that kind of burden, nor is he capable of fulfilling what mankind will inevitably make him out to be. The movie can be examined from a moralist perspective rather than a religious one, as the two are very closely intertwined; is Superman right in killing Zod to save the world, even if it means rejecting the values that he had been raised with? Are Kal-El and Clark Kent one and the same, or is Kent just a simple farmer from Kansas (just as Jesus was merely a carpenter of Nazareth) who must fulfill a role that he has no true say in? Can he stop being Superman at any time, or will the world cease to survive now that he has been introduced to it?

People shy away from these questions because they tackle themes that are prevalent throughout Christianity, not because they have no answer to the questions. Would I appreciate Man of Steel even more if I believed in God? Maybe. But, to me, it's the understanding and the embrace of the hope that the film inspires for the goodness in humanity that makes it great.

Not only that, we even get a shots of other characters in the roles of gods and saints, up to and including Lex.

I liked how they go so far as to have Lex name three other types of deities we see Clark depicted as over the course of the films - a sun god, a light god, and a sky/storm god.

Do people realise this is meant to be a joke on the part of the pastor in the church thinking Superman is the reincarnation of Christ? It cuts back and forth between OP's image and the pastor looking bewildered/amazed at Superman admitting all this to him.

People either need to realize that scene is the film's moment of levity, or stop taking that particular shot out of context for the sake of "lol snyder can't do subtlety".

Excellent insights, user.

I know is cool to shit on this movie...but Zack does knows how to set some really pretty imagery.

Why can't most capeshit movies at least try to be cinematic?

Most of them look like tv shows.

I don't look at it so much as levity as I look on it as being sort of a primer on what imagery in these films is being used to convey - the inner thoughts of the characters.

In that same exchange, we see the priest repeatedly framed with a cross behind him. That's there to convey that Clark is aware of the burden he's dropping on that priest - the burden of keeping his secret. Two years later, that same priest is still bearing that cross, still keeping the secret.

one of the worst capeshit ever, period

yeah I agree, I think that shot is meant to convey how the Priest sees Superman, not how we're supposed to.

fucking beautiful

Micheal Shannon

oh my god

michael shannon

michael is an archangel in abrahamic religions

according to 7th day adventists, michael is a name given to the pre-incarnate christ

ergo, zod is actually jesus, and superman is satan

BRAVO NOLAN

I was planning on masturbating to vids of Anjelica but i'm going to delete all that shit and fap to that cinegrid.

Honestly, if you wanna go that route and look at it from what has been discussed in the thread so far it can be pretty interesting:
MoS and BvS both make a point to compare Superman to St Michael or even Jesus. In this thread it's been mentioned that maybe the imagery is more about how the characters see other characters. Michael is known for killing Satan by stabbing him. In MoS, Zod kills Jor-El by stabbing him because he sees Jor as being the evil destroyer of Krypton. Later, Zod as Doomsday kills Superman in a similar way. To Zod/Doomsday, Kal is as evil as Jor (assuming Doomsday shares some of Zod's memories). This is of course at the same time that Superman kills Doomsday with the spear which is also very similar to Michael.

This is what perfect capekino looks like

I just want the films to get general acclaim.

When will it come?

Marlelfags are so fucking delusional. How the fuck do they think they can compete with this?

is digital video so limiting that it only looks good in teal and turquoise?

That scene with kid Clark and the dog is fucken perfect.

The fact that there are zero cinegrids from Marvel's films being passed around show how confident they are in their beliefs.

Which is to say, they're chickenshit.

You mean sacrilegekino? Yes, it is.

>Christians must love it

>Trivializing the Son of God as an alien and a comic book character that beats ppl up and shoots lasers from his eyes.

Right.