Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kbZLkdIGOqs
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/77684466/#77684810
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>do i fit in big guys xD

Explain this "Dishonest filmmaking" to someone who hasn't seen the movie

Link to screener?

Do you feel... lied to? perhaps?

Why is Sup Forums so buttblasted at this movie, it was pretty good, a solid 8/10

>watching musicals

is this an american thing?

>its not about aliums or robots shooting eachother or big guys so its fricking shit >:(((((

"Dishonest filmmaking" is the idea that if a director isn't well-established in the industry, then he doesn't have the privilege of making a good film. If he does happen to make a good film, then it doesn't count because he's tricking the audience into thinking he's a good director.

In other words, it's total bullshit and the concept will eventually go away just like every forced meme.

Jesus Christ. So Scorsese was a dishonest director when he made Mean Streets?

Dishonest Filmmaking:
(Lucas, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Wes Anderson, Christopher Nolan, Aronofsky, Refn, Tom Hooper, Tyler Perry, Baumbach, David Yates, Denis Vilenueve, Steve McQueen) are intellectually bankrupt moral whores and charlatans; their films appeal to the modern phenomenon of the 'Pretend Epic' or Pseudo Cinema, often tied to the criticism that "It was a movie that thought it was a film" they have no ideas of their own and are filmed purely to have fancy essays made about them. They obfuscate their lack of insight under a smug impenetrable irony and often contain scenes with disingenuous attempts at depth with characters spouting platitudes that the director takes VERY seriously.
This directly panders to the IMDb reddit sensibility of quote circlejerking since these hacks are masters of the fools wit, "Quipping" (Not to be confused with the marvel co-opting of the word) , it sounds smart, cool and worldly but in reality there's nothing of substance, the Revenant's attempt at spiritualism was cheap and laughable and whilst someone like Malick has considered his philosophy, Inaurritu wears his introspection on his sleeve to give his film a false sense of depth with pathetic sermonising.

THIS is Dishonest Filmmaking.

They leech the greater works that preceded them; like The Force Awakens being a rip off A New Hope, but they have nothing else to say.
They act under the guise of deconstruction, surface layer obvious 'social commentary' and a quirky forgettable score praised as 'innovative'. They are all inauthentic sycophants that rely on oscar buzz and post 9/11 detachment for relevance.

These directors are hacks and will be forgotten to time.

Some notably earnest filmmakers include, but are not limited to

>Mike Leigh
>The Coen Brothers
>Kanye West
>James Cameron
>Mel Gibson
>Malick
>David Lynch

I already explained it, dumbshit. You're literally just reiterating what I said right here:

I did too

Sounds stupid like every other Sup Forums buzzword

t. plebbit

>it's a Hollywood sucks itself off episode

It's not great, but its good.

They shot the opening Highway 101 dance number on the 405!!!!

Its pasta

Dishonest means shitty movie made for a complacent audience

t. Poor memer

It isn't a buzzword or even a meme. Its a very real thing

It's not good one bit emma stone makes sure of that she's fucking terrible

It's really not. It's just a meme.

explained it perfectly.

Dishonest filmmaking means when's screener

Wrong.
Tarantino and PTA are established filmmakers but also very dishonest.

Who should I put money on between Frog and Herschlag?

this

Hershlag because shekels!

>Nat's face when a small business collapses due to multinational competition and has their premises foreclosed by the bank

damn these jews!

Frog. Hershlag already has won on, her film doesn't have the support and she lost the Golden Globe.

I just don't like musicals. Girlfriend doesnt either, thank God, so that's why.

I'm sure it's at least okay since it isn't a white guilt cash grab, but i tend to hardly enjoy anything that's made to win awards. I just like movies for the sake of them being movies.

teehee

>hollywood sucks itself off
>by portraying hollywood as a hungry monster that feeds on people's ambitions and robs them of the things that would have made them truly happy

t. Dishonest filmmaker

How is this Oscar Bait? When was the last time a musical won Best Picture.

all these words and you said nothing

What's wrong with Wes Anderson, exactly? I've only seen The Life Aquatic and Moonrise Kingdom, enjoyed both.

his twee aesthetics and fondness for 1960s/70s nostalgia comes across as pretentious and a bid to appeal to the quirky alternative audience rather than a genuine interest in portraying that style

I just get the sense that he likes whatever movie he's working on to have a uniform aesthetic. Like he's decorating it in a very specific way, pretty much autistically.

I have to say, they look good for it. Everything looks appropriate, like it all goes together. Not realistic, but it doesn't need to look realistic, if you get what I mean. It makes his movies feel surreal, but not in a bad way.

to some people*

obviously not everyone shares the sentiment but I'm just clarifying why people might take issue with him

Because it's about Hollywood and cinema. Just like The Artist (2011) - everyone forgot about that one pretty soon, and the same fate awaits La La Land, I'm afraid.
I liked the movie tho, solid 4 out of 5, but not even close to Whiplash, which was 5/5 for me.
Also, it feels good to filter that forced "dishonest" meme shit.

is m. night a dishonest filmmaker?

You already did this thread yesterday. No need to do it again

It's not Oscar bait, but it's definitely a competitive film.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just preference.

Stonefags are cancer

>redditors trying to replace kino with dishonest filmaking
its not gonna work familia

Was the music good?

It isn't about Hollywood though, just has a character who's an actress. It's more about Jazz then it is Hollywood.

No I'll give him that. The entire film is drenched in Hollywood nostalgia.

the music was mostly forgettable desu

the rest of the film was absolutely nothing like the opening number, and the concentration of songs really tailed off about halfway through

the best pieces were stone's "here's to the fools who dream" song and the goose's recurring little leitmotif

>The entire film is drenched in Hollywood nostalgia
>a film about how chasing the hollywood dream destroys the things that would have given you true happiness
>hollywood nostalgia
Your bitterness blinds you.

Just listen for the opening song. It's full of Hollywood nostalgia like said.
youtube.com/watch?v=kbZLkdIGOqs
>A Technicolor world made out of music and machine

I think you missed the point of the movie.
By the end they both were happy, but in a different way, that why they smiled to each other.

It was shot in goddamn Cinemascope. I don't see how you can think it was anything but pleasing to Hollywood. If you didn't notice, it was all the facets of modern life that ruined things for them, not when they were acting like it was the grand old days.

Fuck how can you be so stupid.

Chicago in 2002. Musicals used to sweep the Oscars in decades gone by.

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/77684466/#77684810

someone is really pushing this meme

I've been listening to the soundtrack daily since I first saw it about a month ago.