Prog thread

What does Sup Forums think of this genre. Also recommendations and general discussion

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lzhc8MIaw10
youtube.com/watch?v=h9e68hKTnq8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I wish the genre wasn't always so centered around the guitar, that the genre had more interesting takes on dynamics, more variety in harmony, and that the genre could be more upbeat/aggressive during those moments as well. It's already got the colorful timbres, crazy melodies, and a large variety in song structure which already puts it pretty up there as a genre worth listening to. Rhythmically it's dependent on the band cuz some bands are boringly straightforward, some can't make organic rhythms while being complex, but the best manage to have a cool flow to odd time sigs which takes a lot of creativity to pull off.

I agree with the guitat centricity of the genre. But there some bands that have broken away from that (King Crimson, at some points. Pekka Pohjola, Mike oldfield, ELP) but many remain quite obscure sadly enough.
As for odd time singatures, that has kinda become the stable of the genre in a sense. But you can deff hear when the band plays in a such timesingature just to impress and fall flat on the creative side of thing where as the other half just as you manages to flow and groove in these singatures. Personnally I'm hoping that in future some band(s) would bring new life to prog

Octopus is prog kino, OP

I just finished listening to Moving Waves by Focus and while it is not new, it is definitely the best prog album I have heard in a while

Why does no one like this? I think the title track is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. The whole album is amazing

>title track is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard
seconded
>the whole album is amazing
not really

I still think Ladies of the Road and Sailors Tale are worth talking about. The rest is just usual King Crimson good. But yeah Islands itself is a great song.

Better Lizard than Lizard.

I'm not quite so hot on Ladies of the Road; it's well done like everything KC does, but I just don't care for it. As for Sailor's Tale, that's quite a good one

Is T. Rex considered prog? This album is very good regardless

Agreed. I should check it out,been postponing

Solid album, not in a same level with In the court or poseidon but comes close

>always so centered around the guitar
you'd like Caravan

what can albums do i need?

One of the things I disslike about prog is that the mainstream fanbase is always circle-jerking each other. Like: Genesis, Rush, Pink Floyd and Yes. And the discussions are always about the "top" bands, which are popular but most def not the best in the genre.

Also Soft Machine, Porcupine Tree, Gong, Renaissance, Robert Wyatt, ELP, Henry Cow.

gonna see jethro tull on friday, looking forward to it. haven't listened to anything outside of Stand Up/Aqualung/Thick As A Brick though.

where can i find more albums like island
every song on that album is perfect to me

Ayyy fellow Islands fan. I've been wondering this too. The KC chart says to move on to Lizard, even though I found that one a bit harsher than Islands. Perhaps In The Wake of Poseidon.

Also this: youtube.com/watch?v=Lzhc8MIaw10

Matching Mole, In Cahoots

krautrock, bub. not even remotely the same thing

Anybody here like camels S/T? I see people still the second album or moonmadmess a lot but I love how smooth and effortless the first album sounds while also going faster and more energetic without ruining the atmosphere.

Can anyone recommend me some good, dark, piano driven prog/math rock? I listened to some post-rock but it's mostly pretty happy/peppy.

You're an idiot.

He's an idiot, if you're still here

Tago Mago
Ege Bamyasi
Future Days
Peel Sessions

that's a good start for Can

I used to not like this so much, but after listening a few more times it clicked. In my humble opinion it's their best work before Red.

thank you sir

Islands by King Crimson. Not math rock, but it is indeed dark, prog, jazzy and with piano.

Anyone listened to this? I was enjoying it high, and loved big chunks of it, it's like Jazz Q is in the left side and Modry Efekt is in the right side of the stereo spectrum

Vlado Cech and Martin Krachtovil especially shine on this project while Hladik is great as always, i can post a 320 link if someone would like to hear it, it's not easy to sit through but it pays off

youtube.com/watch?v=h9e68hKTnq8

and Gong