Daily Japanese Thread - DJT # 1892

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FCQBUzFcUUo
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/巿#Japanese
youtu.be/UF6eAWxP1d4
www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10011101051000/k10011101051000.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

「建物は緑の柱が鮮やかな三階建ての建物だった。大きな戸口を入った一回は広い食堂になっている。華やかな店構えを見回す陽子(ようこ)をよそに、達姐(たっき)は対応に出た従業員らしき男をつかまえた。」(Name pronunciations in parenthesis. I'd state the context, but it seems self-explanatory.)

What does 一回は mean here? Thanks.

How self-conscious of anime cliches are most japanese people?

well the jap-german dict I use says it can also mean something you could translate with passage or way through I guess

Fuck off.

Enough. Self-awareness isn't difficult, even Americans can do it:
youtube.com/watch?v=FCQBUzFcUUo

Thing is knowing your tropes and making the referencing of them a trope in itself turns thing very headachy. It's almost like post-irony, you start not to know whether a show is being retarded on purpose or not, and the fanbase is half retarded, half pedantic. Really troublesome.

I have a Jap friend who likes anime and games and we play guitar together and listen to K-On tracks in the car on the way to local arcades and restaurants :^)

Plus he offered to show me around Japan when I visit next year. Feels good man.
Just gotta put yourself out there and introduce yourself, you'll certainly find someone who shares your interests eventually.

Maybe it's a typo for 一階?

Does 「影のない時間」 mean night time or noon? Or is it ambiguous?

Is furigana a crutch? Should I avoid manga with it? I'm attempting to read Made in Abyss but the lack of furigana makes it extremely difficult for me.

Are your difficulties from not knowing the words, or not remembering the pronunciations?

Both, really. All of the manga I'm interested in are way above my current level.

All nips I've met with similar interests were too retarded to have social contact, or too introverted to carry out group activities.
Where did you find your weeb buttbuddy?

Just keep reading and don't worry about whether or not there is furigana. Use kanjitomo or capture2text to quickly look up words. And make a mining deck if you haven't already.

this

How are these different?

Has anyone made a good Heisig deck?

What's wrong with the one on the archive? It's the only deck I honestly enjoy using now.

杮 isn't actually used but Wiktionary has the answer.
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/巿#Japanese
>Note: 巿 is often confused with the similar-looking 市 (U+5E02) meaning "market" or "city". Note that this character has only four strokes and is written 一 across the top of 巾.

I'm sorry, I just committed a cardinal sin. I didn't realize there was an RTK deck on the website, I should've looked harder. Thanks.

Thank fuck. The deepest existencial fear of
>tfw learning japanese incorrectly/inefficiently
set in for a moment

wtf
I saw the reading was こけら, are there a lot of kanji like this that are unused?

不断消極的な報道機関のCOVFEFEのに

the fuck is this kanji

looks like 救う (すく)う

>救
goddamn i'm retarded

thanks

>thanks

No problem. I think the first time I saw this kanji was in a buddhist calendar. I liked it ever since.

jap guys
talk about 731
and they fuuking do
*pic unrelated

Well shit, I was writing かき wrong.

are there two strokes in the third box?

Fuck this gay Earth, holy shit.

Yes. There are 9 strokes in total.

You have no idea, tomod8.

I blame fonts.

>mfw

I'm off, I can't learn Japanese.

Nice being with you guys, say hi to the devil for me.

I didn't even see the stroke on the left, I meant the stroke that crosses stroke 1, is that just one stroke? Maybe I haven't encountered that grapheme yet

The vertical one? It's just one stroke.

god damnit I meant stroke three, the stroke that crosses stroke 2

Jisho claims 不知火 - shiranu(h)i - is phonetic ateji, but that doesn't look like phonetic at all, and the MEANING makes complete sense (unknown light/fire). Am I getting it backwards?

It's the same as 木.

Ok. For some reason, the picture in made it look like that stroke three was one stroke starting on the right and crossing stroke two, sort of like a へ in reverse. As opposed to writing it with the same stroke order as 木 which is what I've always done.

Looks like 熟字訓. It's 訓読み but written as though it were a Chinese 熟語 compound, like 明日 or 大人.

I figured, but what's with this weird nomenclature, then?

>not knowing the 1 stroke かき方.

I don't think edict marks じゅくじくん words. It correctly says 茶化す is 当て字, but doesn't say 明日 is anything and says 従兄弟 is just an unusual spelling.

Start using a J-J dictionary.

Maybe I'm being retarded and completely over looking things, but why is 決める in 2k "to decide/agree upon", while 決まる is "to be decided". How is 決まる any different from a past tense 決める? Pretty confused here

決まる is like 決められる.
It's intransitive/passive to 決める's transitive/active

決める is transitive. 決まる is intransitive. It has nothing to do with past or present.

Thanks friends

So I've taken up the habit of talking to my brothers 11 month old son in Japanese, just for practice. It has helped ne learn a few words like (寝る)

how does you guys' anki cards look like? how much information you guys like to put in it?

this is how mine look like, I'm still don't know what's the best font size for the kanji

*I still don't know what's the best font size for kanji

also, I wonder if it would too easy if I could put the gramatical class on the card's front side. I found so many words with similar meanings but different classes.

Err is it weird?

Yes what do you need a shitting potato to practice Japanese, is he a genius baby or something?

I just use core2k/6k. This is what it looks like. May or may not be worth it to download, and copy the template if you like it.

I have no one else to talk to. I one want converstion is better than embarrassing myself infront of my family

*a one way conversation

I really like core2k/6k expect that I really wish it had the verb's transitivity on the back side, it would be so much better in my opinion compared to having to figure it out from the english meanings or pausing to check a dictionary

For those who did RTK, did you bother trying to memorize the onyomi and kunyomi? Or did you try to get a feel for pronunciations just by building vocab and exposure?
You could just add the transitivity to the card as it pops up in the deck, if you don't mind the English too much.

えぐる
>剜る
>抉る
>剔る
>刔る
>刳る
>刲る
>none of them is jouyou, not even jinmeiyou
which learn

I've only seen 抉る in the wild

I'm doing KKLC and I just learn the readings through vocab. It sticks much more easily that way.

It's the default one in Jisho too, I'll take that.

I started adding transitivity and 段 indicators on my verb cards whenever I happened upon an untagged one, but it was really boring and not worth it. I can infer transitivity most of the time, and the -ru thing is better off just being memorized from seeing verbs conjugated and getting used to their sounds.

youtu.be/UF6eAWxP1d4
How is my Japanese, I do the subs for both english and Japanese.

From www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10011101051000/k10011101051000.html

In the article both 大勢の人 and 大勢の人達 are used. I'm uncertain about the difference between the two. I think the first means "lots of people" and the second would be "many groups of people". Is that accurate or do they mean something else?

I met him in a music course at college.

"えぐる"は普通ひらがな、カタカナで書かれるぞ

日本人の俺でも"えぐる"の漢字は知らない

>大勢の人
Large crowd of people
>大勢の人達
Large crowd of many people
Basically the same thing

I see. Is it just for emphasis?

>大勢の人達
Or maybe "the people in the crowd" if it's the subject

子孑

Ah yes, mosquito wrigglers, of course I should have guessed.

仕事はやっと終わったぁ~

There's also 孓 in Chinese which apparently means ''missing one's right arm''

I don't think there's anything in what she said that would indicate a superlative or "most important," is there? Why should I think what she said was a superlative? Seems to me like I'd just be (literal translation) "What are important things/what's an important thing for the purpose of going chestnut gathering?"

By the way, the far right translation in my image is just flat out wrong on several levels.

No,it only is used in 孑孓,which means mosque.

It's just the translation. You have to take small liberties to make it sound natural and flow properly sometimes. Translators hate people like you.

Now become an actor for a minute and try to say out loud both the sentences in the translations and your version.

Which one sounds natural?

How did you change the colors of your deck?

I think that's just warm-light mode on his phone.

Why construct a sentence using zero grammar that indicates superlatives if you mean to indicate a superlative?

If what you're trying to say is "Look at it from the translator's perspective, they just don't want to put in awkward phrases that don't necessarily translate well/sound awkward translated literally" but if you're arguing that しまう actually meant a superlative there, I don't see how your comment is helpful.

*translated literally" then I get it,

>defending shitty translators
They could easily drop the word "most" and make the translation more accurate

What is something important to have when you go picking chestnuts

That may be true, but that's not what I was going for. The purpose of asking here was to figure out whether it was just the translation or not. I fully understand the role of translators and the fact that they can't translate literally all the time, and that it's bad for business to do so.

Thanks

How much time do you spend reading futaba channel?

You are crazy, there is no shimau anywhere.

>something important
Nobody will say that, too convoluted. You are confused by the unspecificity of the Japanese text, which doesn't transfer as easily to English. If you want to call a translation shitty, at least have enough tact to rephrase it.

Although I think what they did was clear and functional enough, here are a few attempts:
- What should we always have when picking chestnuts?
- What is (are) a chestnut picker's best friend(s)?
- When picking chestnuts, we can't forget our...
- What's important when picking chestnuts?

It's the character's name.

God, I hate Japanese.

Well, it's just her nickname, not her actual name

When she first introduced herself at school she accidentally said よろしくおねがいしまうー and the rest is history

よろしゅうお頼み致しまし

シクヨロっす

>なので、友達に会う時間がない
Translation from tk:
>That's why there's no time to meet friend
If I did:
>なので、友達に会う時間のがない
have I changed the meaning at all?

>tfw you have literal brain damage

わんばんこ!

Im planning to motorcycle in japan from november to march, what is the temperature in Honsu and Hokkaido at this time and is it safe to camp outside?

thanks, a travller