Serious question: can hockey fans actually see the puck go into the net...

Serious question: can hockey fans actually see the puck go into the net, or are they just using the goal lights/player reactions as cues?

I've tried watching a few hockey games and I swear to god, about 20% of the goals scored are fucking impossible to tell when it goes in. It's fucking infuriating.

Take the second goal scored at 45 seconds in this video, for example:

youtube.com/watch?v=buG-78V0ang

How the hell can ANYONE see that puck go in?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=grOttsHuuzE
youtube.com/watch?v=SRi48CHIQCA
youtube.com/watch?v=Yy4UZbtxxkY
youtu.be/MEuUXLFbV9A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is now a glowpuck thread

when i first started watch it was hard to keep up with it but as i started watching more it became easier to keep track of it.

Get a better tv or stream

depends on where you sit. If you're like me and sit behind the goal, yes. yes you can.

sometimes no one on the ice knows where the puck went.

I remember this one game, a puck was shot through the goal net, and nobody knew what the hell was going on until they replayed it and ruled it a goal

Not OP, but I watched nearly an entire season of hockey (just so I can join in on work conversations about it), and still had trouble seeing when a goal was scored by the end of the season.

I can generally keep up with passing plays and all that, but when it comes to say, long distance shots, the puck might as well be fucking invisible.

DESU, this was the only time I watched hockey. It was way too hard to tell on TV without it.

I can see it. Granted I played my whole life so I am basically conditioned to be able to see it well.

So how the hell do you actually tell that the puck went in at 0:45? I don't think the puck is even visible because the goaltender and goalpost were completely covering it...

Another example I found just now:

youtube.com/watch?v=SRi48CHIQCA

How can you possible see the goal at 1:14? It's not even a matter of my eyes being bad. The puck is literally not even visible to the camera.

You use cues. In that goal you cited, the first cue is the goaler's reaction: he has no fucking clue where it is. There are routine saves that you can tell the goalie has, and then there are ones that just beat him.

Take webm related. I can't visually see the puck go in, the angle is just not going to let that happen. But well before Hall and Henrique start celebrating I can see that the goalie didn't save it.

I'm not going to pretend that hockey is a good TV sport, especially for a casual viewer that has never watched. But HD has helped a whole lot. You still need some acumen to really follow it well: predictive ability combined with reading body language. But it's really not that hard.

Actually somewhat helpful, thanks.

I actually WANT to be able to follow hockey because I'm getting tired of soccer and it seems like the most similar alternative, but being able to follow it is a challenge.

the quality of the video is too poor. If its live on a TV you can almost always see it well, although even if you can't you can still use the reaction of the players to figure it out.

in your OP it is clear to see the puck in the initial shot, it disappears behind the goalies back for a sec before you can see it hop in.

usually the goalie is the best barometer, but pretty much all movement is relative to the puck holder
being able to track effectively in hockey is pretty gratifying because the prediction-based nature of it teaches you a good deal about overall movement/tactics

Alot of times you cant see the puck go in because of the camera angle, but pay attention to the players. Mostly the goalie as he pretty much always knows when he didnt stop it. Hockeys much more enjoyable if you follow the players instead of the puck. When you watch the players youll see the whole play form and the puck will come.

I got a 4k tv and I can see it now

I do what hockey players do: check to see if the net is shaking

The problem is that the team I usually follow whenever I watch is out of my market (I moved from a different city and maintained loyalty).

Unless there are some really good streamers out there, I'll have to end up paying just to watch them on TV.

r/NHLStreams can unironically provide some pretty good HD streams reliably

if not then you should be able to follow the puck anyway, when it is shot just watch the goalie's reaction before and after.

i played for 6 years and i can't see shit. it honestly doesn't even seem like the same sport when you're watching as opposed to playing.

You'd have love the FoxTrax "Glow Puck"

All memes aside, why would this be such a shitty idea now?

I would imagine that with how technology progressed, there could be some option or feature to turn the glow chip on/off if you're watching from, say, an official online stream. It would help newer viewers while giving experienced fans the choice to not have it.

It would be nice if you could toggle it on/off tbqh senpai

gitgud

Good get and good posts

>watching a sport where you literally have to try reading body language and reactions because you can't tell what the fuck is going on

nice "sport" you have there, hockey fans.

Don't try to look at the puck. Lock your eyes on a stationary sport on the screen and use only your periphery. When they are in the zone look only around the goalie for most of the time.

Why do you need to see the puck at every centimeter anyway?

>reading a book with super jumbo fonts so your old eyes can see it

>reliably

Sort of. There are a couple go-to streams, but every now and then you have to leave them for another, then come back maybe later.

>when you're playing and the puck is right at your feet but you can't see it

goalies naturally do a bit of a bounce move when the puck hits them to try to move it further away from the net

a slap shot will make a noise when it hits the boards or post, a lower pitched noise off the post is less likely to be a goal

watching the back of the net is usually the best way on tv

Played hockey from the time I could skate til 9th grade (age 15 or so for reference for Euros).

I never have trouble seeing it while it's moving on the ice via passing and shots, but some goals, as mentioned by some anons here, are near-impossible to see.

I'm a Flyers fan and still remember the clinching goal of the 2010 Cup fir Chicago... no one saw that shit

Follow hockey for a while and it becomes very easy to understand the flow of play and where people are moving the puck

Beyond that, HD TVs have made it very, very easy to see where the puck is at all times.

Also if you're streaming a game make sure you find an HD one... an SD stream that's even a little glitchy makes it impossible to see shit.

>Take the second goal scored at 45 seconds in this video, for example:
Ok, let's assume you legitimately cannot see the puck here. MTL player at the bottom of the screen has the puck and visibly takes a shot on net. Goalie reacts and faces down and to his right (the camera's left). So you can tell that the goalie saved it and the rebound has come out in front of the net. No one is celebrating and play continues so the puck is obviously not in. Other MTL player crashes the net and swings his stick, at which point both MTL players begin celebrating and all of the Toronto players in frame including the goalie stop moving. So the puck has clearly gone in.

The quality of your video is not great, would be easier to see on a better video, but "crash the net" goals like this happen all the time. You can tell by body language where the puck is and what happened. This is probably not super easy for a new viewer but you understand it with time.

Is hockey the most unwatcheable sport?

The puck is hard to follow but the scoring and the rules are as simple as it gets

American football, rugby, cricket, baseball, all harder to get into or show to like a girlfriend who doesn't know jack shit about it

girls like baseball you virgin. i'm assuming because it reminds them of softball, the only female high school sport that draws any semblance of a crowd (because they have fat butts and wear tight pants).

You develop a puck sense where you use a number of factors to know where the puck is. Sometimes it fails

youtube.com/watch?v=Yy4UZbtxxkY

>they have fat butts and wear tight pants
s-same in baseball

>puck sense
"puck sense". Fantastic. To watch hockey you need to develop a "puck sense".
Why not just watch a sport where the object is crystal clear VISIBLE?

Das rite white boi

both

you watch context if it bounces somewhere funky, but majority of the time i can follow it, even live.

but i played hockey for almost 20 years so...

Because it's more fun than watching grown men pretend to be maimed by the slightest contact.

Bonino dived, just admit it, man

You get a sense for it in this order:

>the net moves from the puck's momentum, where it either usually drops down within the goal line or slings right out, in which case a netfront D-man tosses that discus nigger down the other end of the ice in frustration
>the puck goes bardown, which is rare, but has a unique noise unlike goalpost nogoals, and makes a knuckley bounce out on top of the crease
>it airhockey's in behind the goalie, but slowly, with several skaters scrambling their sticks around the goalie, which only retards couldn't understand actually went in
>you can usually judge by defenders slamming their sticks or looking in the zenith/offensive skaters pulling out their mouth guards and/or skating quickly towards another teammate that it's all but confirmed good

Only apehoop fans are too retarded to understand which goals are good. Prior to HD/60fps, handeggers fell into this camp as well (had trouble telling if a field goal or extra point was good when the trajectory went behind the upright) but there is no excuse now. Baseball fans know the hockey feel on judging what counts as a score. You literally have to be stupider than the average Caribbean spic to not know what's deemed a point. Egg- and Hoop-based sports can be watched blind, wherein horsevoiced women are allowed to provide actual commentary.

>I actually WANT to be able to follow hockey because I'm getting tired of soccer and it seems like the most similar alternative, but being able to follow it is a challenge.
Why not rugby? It's closer to soccer than hockey.

we already knew americans were pussies

Hockey is so gay

>having anything less than a 60" television
>watching sports on a shitty stream on a 15" laptop

Fucking NEETs

finally someone on this board i could have a beer with. millennials make my skin crawl and i fantasize about beating them up in public places.

>t. millennial

t. brayden, jayden or hayden

You may not like this answer, but I had absolutely no problem following the puck in the video you posted, or the other one you posted where the goal goes in at 1:14

Also the ref signals, but occationally only the players will know what happened:

youtu.be/MEuUXLFbV9A

ME FIGHT. ME STRONG. ME TRIBE LEADER.

I thought ur pic is mecca

>Chris Osgood in an all-star game
lel

>Baseball fans know the hockey feel on judging what counts as a score.
You're right about that, whether at a game or watching on TV, you develop a sense for fly balls from the angle, sound, and initial reaction from the fielders. It's funny being at a game and hearing all the casuals getting worked up over what turns out to be a long out. Even when an outfielder has to make a diving catch, I'm right about it being a hit or an out probably 90% of the time. The only time an experienced baseball watcher is truly guessing on the outcome of a play is on infield foul ball popups and knowing if it will stay in play or not.

It's far easier to tell where the puck is when you're actually in the arena as opposed to TV.

I've been watching hockey for about 15 years now and I can't really explain it. It just comes naturally. Like how when someone asks you how you can type so fast without even looking at the keyboard. I don't know, it's just 2nd nature now. Maybe just start watching and after a couple of games you will pick it up without even realizing it.

read the body language of the player, following the puck is pretty easy. You also look at the net when they make a shot. You can easily see if it goes in since the net stops it usually. You'll notice if it hits the goalie usually as well. Your last resort is looking at the players and see where they're focusing to. Usually players with the puck keep their sticks on the ice while players far away from the puck are not as glued to the ice

Yes, watch the fucking game it's a black rubber puck about 4 inches in diameter on a white surface and it's heavy, the camera follows the puck too

I always have trouble finding the puck in this webm

>webm

Hockey is the only sport which legitimately needs 4k in order to survive as a televised sport.

Looks like #11 kicked it to his backhand and poked it in. You can see it in his feet a few seconds before it goes in and he makes a slight kick motion to get it to his backhand.

It only became possible after HD was rolled out. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a memer, denialist or underageb&.

i've been watching since i was an infant and i have never seen the puck on tv ever, not even once.

>can't see a black puck on a white surface

The net doesn't move at all if the puck hits the "padding" or whatever it's officially called on the bottom of the goal.

>please cater to the lowest common denominator, me

this is what i tried doing the first few times i watched, but there are times where the goaltender doesn't react at all though.

face it furpuck fans, your sport just sucks and is impossible to follow to at least half of the population.

as a goalie i can tell you that when the puck is shot at me and i have no idea where it is, most of the time it's not in the net

Sometimes it's hard to see the actual puck, but how they shoot and the goalies reaction can tell you where it went.

>Admitting you're a vision deficient lifelet
Wew, cucks out

its not a sport for shitskins so obviously about half of >your country wont be able to follow it

the puck can get lost when people topple onto it, but in general it's not hard

>Viewers can't see the puck
>Players can't see the puck

Why does this "sport" even exist?

How can you not see that?

Go to bed Sven.

Why would I believe the delusions of a Finnish goaltender?

any hockey fan who doesn't admit that they sometimes lose track of the puck is simply lying. i've heard even professional play-by-play commentators not be able to tell where the puck is on occasion.

but as a hockey fan who just recently started following it a few years ago and who also has an HD TV, i am now extremely curious how hockey survived as a mainstream sport decades before HD was a thing.

The thing about hockey is the game appears to move much faster on TV than in person, and the puck is much easier to follow at eye level (at least when it's at your end of the ice). But really, it's not that hard to follow once you've watched the game for awhile. Your mind actually starts to focus the open player even before the pass is made and you see plays develop before they happen.

Yes I can but I'm a lifelong who played

You learn to watch the players, the defense, the cuts to the net, the passes.
Once you are familiar with the standard set up, how goals/when goals/where goals are scored at high frequency you can actually go "Yep, this is a goal" two or three seconds before the shot is even taken

What? It looks so much slower on tv than when you are on the ice.