"Learning guitar in this century is as retarded and pointless as learning the typewriter"

>"Learning guitar in this century is as retarded and pointless as learning the typewriter"

Is he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0si0fB0lnow
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes

A typewriter is virtually the same to use as a modern keyboard. . .

without a doubt, fpbp

have you ever even used a typewriter?

I can't believe I ever fell for the idea of rock music in general. I mean, what uniqueness, creativity or imagination is there? Literally the entire genre is made just to play what, some idiotic shows? Sell some records? Why would anyone partake in that stupid lifestyle? Why can't we create a forest inside the three spirits of stones and unleash the beasts that roam in the dungeon? Why can't our whispers awaken the elixirs that cure the world's normalcy? Why can't two castles become trapped in orbs forced to combine into one another, and each kingdom tries to manipulate, criticize and dismiss one another using the arrows of bows? There is nothing special about rock music now. It was always just boring "watch some idiots play their instruments" without commanding the boat that travels the inner reaches of the universe. Why do we exist?

Yes.

Yeah like he'd know about playing guitar.
>dude weed lmao just stop learning instrument its a waste of time like everything else

Literal degeneracy

Nah
Playing guitar is great hobby
Some girls like it
As long as you play rock/metal/blues etc instead if electro bleep blops, it's a must

So it's useful if it's something you want to do :)

He didn't say it. Cite it where he said it otherwise.

Did he actually say this? I'm gonna guess no considering the fact that every Radiohead album has guitar on it.

Learning anything is not a waste of time, but if you think you can 'make it' just by playing guitar you're an idiot

That's just so that Ed's got something to do.
Thom is basically calling Ed pointless and retarded. Harsh but fair.

"If ever there's an obscene noise to be made on an instrument, it's going to come out of a guitar. On a saxophone you can play sleaze. On a bass you can play balls. But on a guitar you can be truly obscene ... Let's be realistic about this, the guitar can be the single most blasphemous device on the face of the earth. That's why I like it .... The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar: now that's my idea of a good time." FZ

Literally who?

aphex twin, autechre, boards of canada the list goes on personified

If Radiohead ever made a good rock album maybe he wouldn't have this opinion

t. somebody that never had enough to discipline to be good at guitar

>the bends

He said good

I swear he gets more and more autistic every year

you mean to tell me he can get more autistic than this? youtube.com/watch?v=0si0fB0lnow

Thom plays guitar on almost every Radiohead album you meme faggot

with the ease at which you can make music with a computer, yeah id say he has a point

if you want to make a career in music, learning a DAW is 100x more important

>The Bends

You know those things are not mutually exclusive

even though the OP sounds exaggerated and made up this is still correct

Then what would you suggest as an alternative?

>user discovers postmodernism

i used to think this but guitars have been used for thousands of years and electric guitars are pretty much as old as synths

its obvious rock as a genre is done and "le shred" culture is done too but guitar as an instrument will never die

What if the only way to actually seek new musical ideas... is to venture other planets outside our Solar System? Like, what if the universe were merely just a vast ocean? Using the technology we have now, we could somehow manipulate the core of the Earth to make it into a device that transports and propels it, like a pirate ship of some sort, except it would technically be a spacecraft. We could be navigators of the universe and explore other plants, galaxies, you name it. Imagine instruments that manipulate the gravitational movement of Earth, as it controls the planet as it were a pirate ship. Then, all water that flows in the river of time freezes, as to make an ice tongue for the Sun to be consumed in. The crackling fissures of that sound will be the percussion. As we consume the Sun, the cores of both planets will merge into Siamese elixirs, only consumable by the flowers of keys. The drink will transform our mouths into whistles, that steal the serenity of our existence.

lmao

If you're trying to sell out then yes. Otherwise guitar is amazing

FAT UGLY DED

the thing is thom is actually a pretty good guitarist (jigsaw falling into place, paranoid android, clocks)

hes just being an edgelord. which is embarassing as fk considering hes like 50

until you have to backspace

Yup

This.
It's a great hobby especially if you got friends to jam with but the people who get into it because they think they're gonna be some famous songwriter are usually the people who drop it 6 months in because bar chords are too hard

buttblasted guitarist detected

>band has two guitarists

>clocks
Lmaooooooo.

dam dis da shit dat reionize my electronz

Anything else. Learn composition, rockist. """Riffs""" aren't music.

How do I learn to use the computer Lads?

playing an instrument live shows you have rhythm, something I found alot harder to learn than pre-programming chord progressions

that explains why their music turned to shit

Anyone can play guitar was 1993 so they've always sucked ha!

nailed it.

Is hating the guitar a sign of low testosterone?

fake and gay

>standard classic rock is the only genre of rock

end yourself, pleb

no because the guitar is an instrument and it has currency until it phases out of the rep which in this case hasn't

his comment is retarded as fuck because it's as if somebody in the 1700s had said this about violin, yet here we are. he's an illiterate retard and his comment should be seen as the musings of a child

No its a patrician thing, you wouldn't understand.

Guitar is the only instrument that doesn't require you to learn for 10 years/be autistic to be good

well i'd say it's as useless as learning to use a typewriter too because learning how to use a typewriter isn't useless.
you can virtually plug anything (like a guitar, or a typewriter) into a computer and automatize it, given the right tools, which are plenty nowadays. if i was a professional writer for 50 years, always on a typewriter, and needed to type really fast into a computer, it'd take me a month tops to find a way of either inputting the typewriter into the computer or just buying a typewriter shaped keyboard. same goes for guitar. you can record midi notes with it, and from there, you can make it sound like any fucking instrument in the world plus the bends and dynamics exclusive to it.

But he never said that

yes

Low test confirmed

This is also the guy who chanted 'ohhhh Jeremy Corbyn' on stage to thousands of people.

>not lesrnimg to play guitar is literal degenracy

he didn't chant it lol
also this quote isn't real btw

Alternative Rock

Jimi Hendrix was definitely the peak of the guitars popularity. There just wont be another time in history where both the instrument and the genre that it was apart of will be both as popular. He innovated in the right way at the right moment in the right style. He played so well and in such a far out way that people today are still ripping him off. The guitar will just never be the same.

Live coding is where it is at next desu

He's right as far as a herd of alt indie mouthbreathers (to which he himself belongs) is concerned. As for other (normal) people, it has no importance at all, and never will. Instruments don't bear magical powers in themselves, they're only pieces of wood. Thoughts worthy of a real composer are born in his mind, not in a chunk of timber or electronics. You can use an ensemble of electric guitars and express unique thoughts - if you have any.
I don't know why this instrument preference bullshit still exists, get rid of it already, if you want to progress beyond that faux-intellectual indie posturing.

Have you fucking touched one?

>be me
>6 years old
>grandpa has typewriter at home
>try typing
>press a key
>press another
>press another
>stuck
>unstick the keys, press another key
>remains stuck on ink tape
>remove key
>start typing like retard
>7 keys get stuck
>type on any modern keyboard
>press two keys .1 seconds after one another
>recognizes the keys
>no sticking
>no removing keys from shitty tape
>can type 10x faster than with a typewriter

It's the mechanics. I understand why you'd think it's similar, but it's nowhere near "virtually the same".

HE DIDNT FUCKING SAY IT YOU RETARD ITS A TROLL THREAD

haha nice one

He didn't say that. He actually said quite the opposite and said he still likes guitar music and is obsessed with Boris.

Yes, and people who first learn to touch type on a typewriter you will likely be far faster and more accurate than those that learnt on a computer keyboard

>Anyone can play Guitar
t. Thom Yorke

Pretty much.

Innovative Ed’s will be reached through creative and thoughtful production methods. The ability to match and blend frequency and tonality becomes unlimited. Guitar is useful but so restraining Nowadays

>Writes Anyone Can Play Guitar
>Implying he doesn't know about playing the guitar.

this applies to bass and even drums to some degree, but yea, i feel you.

maybe

haha this

this
Fun house and The Passenger are some of the sleaziest shit I've ever heard. No other genre can do it.

Funny thing, those bands didn't even come to mind when I wrote this. I was talking about the Nu Metal, Pop Punk and Post-Grunge era during the 2000s, and how each of them employed this impotent rage in their music. Bands like Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Papa Roach, Disturbed, Korn and Sum 41 represented my point the most. They relied on anger/angst, sadness and even nihilism as the basis of their music. Hell, even Indie Rock succumbed to those stereotypes of angsty, melancholic and pretentious attitudes.

this user is correct
riffing and shredding culture is a dead meme, but as an instrument guitar will always be useful, there are more styles of guitar than rock n roll, like classical and jazz, or even more simple stuff like shoegaze and atmospheric effects pedal shit

He should say this about trying to become a successful musician as a whole

So it's only for hipsters?

>I don't know what power electronics is
>Oo guitars make big scary strum twang sound oo :(

Hello Sun Ra