3 episodes in and I love it

3 episodes in and I love it.

Surprised how well Snicket and Olafs characters are portrayed. I got used to Snicket's voice way faster than I thought I would and Olafs jokes aren't as "hip and trendy" the trailers made them out to be (DUDE INTERNET LMAO)

However I don't like how blunt they are with things that were 100 percent subtext in the books. The parents being noticably alive throughout the show ruins some of the tension and every time they cut to them I am immediately taken out of the shows universe.

The tone also isn't perfect. I may have been spoiled by how perfectly the movie handled this, but even considering Jim Carry, the movie still seemed to have a darker atmosphere with more dire consequences.

What are your thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odeon_(building)
youtube.com/watch?v=unF7vQ6iIGs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just watched the first and quite enjoyed it. I'm glad they seem to be deviating from the books, given the end of the story was a bit of an anticlimax. So hopefully they're setting up for something more promising at the end.

badly edited
badly paced
badly acted, especially poe and violet

it's like they did 1 take of everything and called it a day

wtf did they do to the plot?
should be 1 episode per book

best parts are snicket and the henchmen
director was clearly taking a nap every time warburton doesn't figure into the scene

it's really a slog, they didn't do a great job capturing the feel of the book across mediums, a real shame

Wired amount of cg in the first episode

>The parents being noticably alive throughout the show ruins some of the tension and every time they cut to them I am immediately taken out of the shows universe.

Keep watching.

Genuinely surprised Sup Forums hasn't been bitching endlessly about characters being black in this adaptation

>Surprised how well Snicket and Olafs characters are portrayed.
>Olaf
>well portrayed
Alright champ.

Because desu Mr Poe works black. It almost feels like an artistic choice over one that is made to pander. Aunt Josephine to a lesser extent.

The hook-for-hands henchman is pretty great.

I laughed when he puts rubber-hands on his hooks and starts eating peaches.

Reminded me of Arrested Development's buster.

It honestly feels like what the books would have been had Handler been able to do all that he wanted to do from the start.

Everything about the Quagmires was perfect as well.

I am legitimately beyond shocked at how good it is.

I didn't love episode 1 but as soon as it got going it became exactly what I had hoped.

Anyone else kind of attracted to Aunt Josephine?

I normally have zero attraction to black women but she seemed so low-key sexy

Feels too much like a combination of both books and movies.

The adults didn't seem to be quite as useless, nor did Olaf keep letting it slip all he cared about was the fortune in the books.

Should have made him more sinister and less silly. Kids can take it.

Still, I'm quite enjoying it, and Monty seems pretty fun.

Well, you obviously need to finish the season. The whole thing is a ruse cruise that I appreciated very much as a fan of the books.
That being said, I would have preferred someone more menacing as Olaf like Sam Rockwell or John Malkovich. But other than it being a little less menacing than I would like it was a straight 5/5 for me

>Should have made him more sinister and less silly. Kids can take it.

I felt like they made the statutory rape implications more overt in this one

>when Olaf tells the hook handed man "don't touch her, she's mine." when he catches violet in episode 2
Yeah man, they made the rape implications WAY more overt.
Or maybe I just don't remember that from the books, it has been 10 years since I read them.

>soon I can touch whoever or whatever I want
>grabs violet

Actually, that's a fair point. Still think he's silly with occasional hints of sinister.

There's also when Klaus tells him not to touch Violet and Olaf grabs her shoulder
>I can touch whatever I want...

Also, he actually tries to lean in for a kiss after the wedding.

But yeah, he's still silly.
I think that's mainly to keep something in tone with the movie.

The director of the movie was involved creatively and even directed the pilot.

Violet a cute

Watching the pilot. This has the worst "quirky comedy" I've ever seen. They should have watched Matilda before making this. There are literally no punchlines, just "Haha isn't everyone acting inhuman? How whacky!"

This should have been much much darker imo, without trying to be nu-Burton.

Its really helped me see all the Freud and Marx references and general symbolism in the series that I never could have seen when reading it as a kid

Also I figure they're taking the piss with the CGI kinda like Decker did but to a lesser extent

I always thought "Lemony Snicket" sounded like some kind of British candy

The 1st episode is the worst episode, it picks up afterwards. People who remember the general overarching plot could easily skip it

Because black fathers a terrible parents desu

its like poetry

Does it cover the whole series or just a few books?

Still watching. Looks like they gave NPH all the punchlines and he might save it.

2 hours per book, 4 books per season, 3 seasons and a movie.

its like they tried to copy the royal tenenbaums wwand got it all wrong

Three seasons for all 13 books.

1st Season: 1-4
2nd Season: 5-9
3rd Season: 10-13

2 episodes per book, books 1-4 in this season

>Beatrice Letters movie
>All the Wrong Questions Season

Klaus is cute

Don't put your dick in crazy.

Why did Olaf bother with the whole coroner and police charade? Why didn't he just kill Mr. Poe and take the orphans? He clearly had no problem in doing so, since he actually considered doing it.

Violet is 13 and has an instagram. How is this allowed?

So the TV show made Mr. Poe's wife and his sister be the same character, right?

The only reason to like NPH's Olaf is if you watched HIMYM.
God, he is a terrible Olaf

He can't kill the children because then he won't get the fortune

And he also can't kill Poe because Poe is taking care of the fortune until the oldest one reach 18 years old.

torrent link?>

>And he also can't kill Poe because Poe is taking care of the fortune until the oldest one reach 18 years old.
If Poe dies, the Bank will just find someone else to handle the fortune.

Is this about Trump?

i still can't get over how bad the acting is. the last 20 mins of the 2nd episode were good, though.

If he dies by natural causes, but if someone kills him, then I think the bank will suspect of something and will hold the fortune until the investigations are over

I thought I was the only one seeing the psychoanalytic influence! Idk how much Lacan you know but I see a lot of his theory in it too

>The parents being noticably alive throughout the show ruins some of the tension and every time they cut to them I am immediately taken out of the shows universe
Finish the season, then start discussing.

True. Plus, Olaf would rather keep Mr. Poe around since it would be much easier to trick him into handing him the Baudelaire fortune than whoever else the bank appoints that might be more competent.

>The parents being noticably alive throughout the show ruins some of the tension and every time they cut to them I am immediately taken out of the shows universe

Like everyone here is already telling you, just keep watching and you'll realize you were inside the show's universe the whole time.

To be fair, he was pretty silly in the books too, it was just written in a way that he still seemed scary to kids

I think never seeing a second of HIMYM makes him more tolerable for me

Seriously, they were the most in-tone out of everything with the show.

Defy all odds to reunite with their children. Die seconds later.

Agreed. He plays Olaf extremely close to Barney. I kept seeing Barney and not Olaf. The target audience are children though, so probably haven't seen HIMYM

>Olaf calls the movie theatre a "godforsaken nickelodeon"
kek

Was I right in believing that was a jab at Nickelodeon Movies for butchering the film?

That seems like a fair assumption to make.

>Shit casting
>Shit director
>Shit script
>Some visual effects are beautiful, but most are lacking

This was such a disappointment.

its shit

both Violet from the movie and the show look oddly similar. They're both cute

It's just an old timey word for movie theatre
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odeon_(building)
Presumably at one point it cost a nickle

Did you like the movie better? I haven't seen the show but did see the movie

I know what nickelodeon means. I couldn't resist
It's still probably a jab at Nickelodeon.

The movie was better though.

this

I haven't seen it in a long time but from what I remember the movie wasn't that bad, it had its flaws but it was alright.

We know what Nickelodeon means

I'd say the show is better. Depends on what you value more, production value or actual content.

It's a mixed bag.
I almost had a hernia when they make you believe that their parents are alive, and while it ends up playing off in a pretty clever way it was still a waste of time.
Many things work, but some of them really don't. Violet's acting is very dodgy, and both Poe and Josephine feel like they're constantly forcing themselves to stay in character. Olaf is a bit too silly from time to time.
As for Lemony Snicket, aside from the fact that it constantly feels like Brock Samson took a blow to the head and became caring and compassionate, his narration often feels kind of rushed.

Is this a kid's show or what?

It's a general audiences show. It's a little more tame than the novels, which were aimed at young teens. It has plenty going on for adults, but never goes above a PG13 in any regard.

Except Olaf attempts to kiss a 14 year old and implies he will fuck her when he marries her.

Olfa's whole crew really stole the show whenever they were on screen.

The hook handed man is great. Those two sisters are so perfectly weird. Then they changed The Person Who is Neither A Man Nor A Woman in a way that's great. I died laughing when he started going on a mumbly rant about the patriarchy and Olaf just ignored him and talked over it.

Sort of. Think more like Harry Potter. It's more for teens and older kids and because of that adults can actually find something enjoyable in it too.

A lot of adults are watching though because the books came out a solid two decades ago. Anyone who read them as they came out is in their twenties or thirties.

>adults can actually find something enjoyable in it too
You mean the cunny ?

His henchmen are better than they ever were in the books or film. Especially the film. The hook handed man actually seems complex, and less of a generic villain. The twins are legit terrifying. The bald stranger is a loveable mice and men type, and neither man nor woman stole the show as a reluctant friend of a villain rather than being overtly villainous himself.

Reminds me of team rocket. Or Ed edd and eddy. Or some other group of loveable nogoodnicks that you can't hate even of you want to.

Only seen the first episode, it was alright although the jokes in it were falling a little flat, I'll still watch the entire thing anyway. I still think Jim Carrey was best Olaf even him just bullshitting was better.

youtube.com/watch?v=unF7vQ6iIGs

Which is great because it will make their individual moments from the books that occur later much more powerful. I'm especially looking forward to The weird twins finally losing it and telling off Olaf for killing their sister

Watched 2 episodes, pretty comfy.

My only complaint is when a character gives a definition for a well understood word. What the fuck, stop that. Happened probably a dozen times in the first 2 episodes.

Rough example.
Olaf: "Hello children......hello is a word you use to greet somebody."

first episode blows but it gets really good once they get to reptile room

I get that they were trying to make it intentionally cartoon looking but at some points the CGI looks like something from 15 years ago Robert Rodriguez would make.

With that said, I enjoy the show so far. And Violet is cuter than in the movie.

First episode is probably the worst one. It's actually crazy if you compare the acting in that scene at the beach to the performances of all three actors later on in the series. The Reptile Room episodes really sold me that this was the adaptation I'd been waiting for since I was a little kid.

The Poe family in the show is so dumb that you could almost make a better argument for it being racist if you were a liberal.

I like the half-baked CGI. It gives it a fairly cartoonish look that matches the story of apathetic comedy/drama.

Reminds me a lot of Pushing daisies, except a bit visually grayer.

It's a gag from the books. These were kids books with a strong emphasis on the importance of reading and education.

They are pushing a "get smarter than your parents" message. And so the adults always underestimate the kids, and the kids always know what's what.

I hate sunny in the first episode. Her audible dialog is too long and too fake sounding.
Thank God they fix it quickly.

I'm looking forward to everything in season 2 and 3. Academy, Elevator, and Vile Village are my favorites of the books.

How many books does the season cover?

Watched the first episode, at the start i loved it and it reminded me of Wes Andersons style but it quickly all went to shit. And you have to forgive a LOT of bad writing and dumb character decisions to enjoy this, which i can't. The moment the children came to the judge(?)s house to read cooking books in her library i was seriously getting annoying by how fucking ambiguous everything they said was. The children could've fucking told her what the fuck is going on and the series would've been over. But of course that would be a pretty uneventful and shit story not worth telling.

Anyways, i guess i get the appeal but i just can't ignore these things and therefore i would rate this show a 3/10.

This is my main criticism, but there's also some serious editing issues where the continuity after cuts is just awful, fucking awful.

elevator and academy were great, but village? i remember disliking that one. penultimate peril, reptile room and grim grotto were probably my favorite.

First two episodes were really weirdly paced - like how the fuck did it take over an hour to tell the story in the second episode?

Hopefully it picks up because I want to like the show but it has been a slog.

S1 books 1-4
S2 books 5-9
S3 books 10-13

NPH's Olaf just feels like NPH with an unusual hairdo. His comedic timing AND the style of joke the screenwriters have given him is too Barney Stinson.
>WRONG
>I'm going to my secret tower room

I like Village because it's basically where the orphans just have a come to Jesus moment and decide to ditch adults forever.

Village is my favorite because of BASED Dupin and Jacques.

That's mostly just the first couple episodes, I felt.

Village was upsetting as a kid because AN ENTIRE TOWN is stupid enough to not see through Olaf. It also is perfect though because it's the moment the kids realize the world is filled with incompetent idiots and that they are on their own.

Yeah, Olaf is literally written like Barney Stinson, and here i thought that NPH would maybe try to get some different roles so people can get used to him not being a fucking joke.

When he showed up in Gone Girl though i was seriously taken out of the movie, because i only saw Barney, so maybe it's actually good he sticks to the same kind of shit that noone can really get upset about.

When he is no longer Olaf but playing disguises this definitely changes. Who knows if it will be the same in book 9 on when he stops using disguises.

Also can anyone remind me if the parents are meant to be alive in the books? Literally haven't read them since I was 11 years old, but I was pretty sure the orphans just thought they were alive for a bit then they found a bunch of shit out about the VFD and it was someone else whose presence they'd misinterpreted as their parents. iirc
See I actually didn't get Barney vibes in gone girl, that was some decent dramatic acting. Also any excuse to post this

>that "people with tattoos are not necessarily bad" comment
>that "It's normal for boys to play with dolls" comment
>blackwashed Poe and Aunt Josephine, Indian Uncle Monty
>that shoehorned gay couple

ENOUGH

never mind that, the thing that takes me out are all the netflix references