The Young Pope

So is this show suppose to be good?

Because I'm two episodes in and I'm really unimpressed.

Its premise makes no sense, there is no way this person would get elected Pope, it just seems like an American Atheist's fantasy or something, a secret atheist who is american gets elected Pope and easy controls and takes over an ancient conservative heavily entrenched bureaucracy

More than that I have yet to meet a single likable character. I sometimes think that writers confuse people enjoying shows about bad people with people enjoying shows about unlikable people

should I keep going? Am I missing something? Its not awful but is it worth my time?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarcisio_Bertone
vaffancu.lo/the-young-pope
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the show is certainly not for you. Better wait walking dead and game of thrones' new seasons.

>there is no way this person would get elected Pope
If you'd continue watching, you'd learn he was elected by the hand of God .
>More than that I have yet to meet a single likable character
I feel you here. Worst of all, literally every second character is inexplicably homosexual, seemingly just for the sake of the plot.

frigin americans

You are probably atheist am I right ?

I'm atheist and I love the show desu

The Young Pepe

>not liking Sorrenkino

I didn't like it either, OP. Really boring. Main character is a corrupt piece of shit.

Have you ever checked the medieval Popes?

Wtf did you watch? Retard

how the fuck are any Americans watching it already?

>religiousfags thinks its making fun of religion
>atheistfags thinks its trying to making religion look good
plebs all of them

ya, but the medieval Popes were also elected based on local Italian politics, rich families that could and often did threaten war if a Pope they disliked got chosen

My problem isn't him being athiest its the heavy handed writing and the poorly thought out premise, they elected someone that no one knew anything about seriously? No one would ever do that especially in modern times, no one could do that, in episode one the Secretary of State had the Pope investigated when if the show of being realistic he would have had that done when this guy was nominated to the Papacy

what is a torrent?

I was really hyped for it because I love Jude Law, so I forced myself through the first half of the show. It gets pretty good in the 3rd episode or so, it gets great in the second half, the last 2 or 3 are amazing.
>unlikable people
Most of them become lovable.

Aside from a couple of Borgias and anti-popes, they honestly weren't that bad. Most of the "medieval popes were evil" stuff comes from Reformation propaganda.

The show takes a few episodes until you get it. At least for it was the case.

I've never heard this show talked about outside of Sup Forums.

Your reading is way too simplistic OP. The show isnt attempting to make any blanket statements about the value of religion at all imo, its focused much more on religious subjectivity in general. Like the phenomenological experience of religion and different manifestations of that experience, as well as an examination of the intersection between capitalism and spirituality (at least that's how I read the whole American pope thing)

Not saying this is correct, but it's how I see the show as a religious studies-fag

The only thing really wrong with the show is that the protagonist has plot armor induced super powers that morons are eating up because the show calls them "the breath of the holy spirit."

Other than that it's actually just a neat little story about an autist actually trying to overcome abandonment issues.

>a secret atheist who is american gets elected Pope and easy controls
He's not an atheist though.

Found the papist apologist.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you're not into looking at religion as a concept, you're probably not gonna like the show. The narrative/character drama stuff is pretty mediocre imo

This show is so good I just assume people who say they don't like it are trolling

>a secret atheist

I've watched the whole show twice. He's not atheist.

Did this just air in America or something? Why is every thread about it now just saying "hurr it's unrealistic"

I think it just appeals to a niche, plus it really is kinda lacking in the departments a lot of other American television emphasizes.

is he not? certainly doesn't seem like he believes in God, in fact he literally confessed to it and then played it off as a joke when the priest freaked out on him

repeatedly talks about how he can't find or see God himself

I can tell he wants to believe but from what I saw in the first two episodes it sounds like he doesn't believe

It's clever and the cinematography is pretty unique. Also its one of the most original things to come out in a while.

He's not atheist at all. He believes in God without doubt because he is the second coming so it's funny to him, as the pope, to tell people he doesn't think God exists

Dude just finish watching the show. Part of the reason it's so good is how it makes you feel about characters in the first episode versus the last

Do you want me to call you 'junk'? I mean, for old times sake, or can we just agree this show is great, but maybe it could be better...?

>literally every second character is inexplicably homosexual

literally every second catholic priest irl is homosexual though

The position of the Pope was never in the Bible and arose out of the bureaucracy and centralization of the church's power. It was and to a lesser extent today, a political position. Until the 20th century, many popes regularly and quite openly had misstresses and bastard children. These bastard children sometimes becomes Popes too. For a Pope to not being a pious Christian or even being agnostic, is not too far fetched.

Ya, the middle ages and modern catholic church are very different, the politics that allowed people like Alexander the 6th to become Pope aren't the same today and someone like him could never get elected to the modern church

More than that it seems like no one knew anything about him before electing him, which is completely unrealistic, even if he actually kept as low of a profile as he did no one would allow a literal unknown to get elected they would at least look into him

also you know things like him banishing a bishop to Alaska would probably have come up and have been well known, people don't fail to notice the Arch Bishop of Boston or New York or whatever getting banished

Like how is it the first time the Secretary of State even has him looked into is after the election, a Papal election isn't a fast process and its probably smart to investigate anyone who is seriously nominated, besides someone as powerful as the Sectary of State of Vatican City likely has a not unsizable voting block that he can control or at least influence, so again how did this guy get elected Pope without the Sectary knowing anything about him

it gets gud after 5 episode jsut hold on

>they elected someone that no one knew anything about seriously

But that's fucking wrong.

>the middle ages and modern catholic church are very different

>implying

Well the Sectary knew nothing about him

There was also a nice expositional meeting of like 4 cardinals where they all talked about how someone got this guy elected but no one really knew anything about him

>Not liking Voiello.

What a faggot.

Did you actually watch the show? Be honest.

>saying this shit in the year of 2017

ummm ya, the Pope isn't controlled by petty Italian nobles and bankers anymore

Most medieval papal elections were based on local Italian politics more than anything else

Voiello knew that he is supposed to be easily controllable
Turns out he was wrong

>Did this just air in America or something?
Ding Ding Ding

protestant and baptists cucks in america of course won't get catholic kino

Half of the haters seem to think it's about an atheist evil pope from House of Cards. While in reality it's about the second coming of Christ.

I told you, I watch the first two episodes, read the thread, and I can't suspend my disbelief for writing this poor

if they explain more later, it helps but why don't they just start with the election instead of skipping over it

what was that based off of? How he is an ego maniac who banished another guy to Alaska for being egotistical? These things just don't add up

>what was that based off of?
Because Spencer told him so

>what was that based off of?
He's not a guy from the street you know. He was a cardinal for many years, people know him. Or rather they think they know him.

>should I keep going?
No, end it. Out the window.

>Am I missing something?
A soul. Go on then.

>what was that based off of? How he is an ego maniac who banished another guy to Alaska for being egotistical? These things just don't add up

Loosely based on this guy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarcisio_Bertone

WHAT HAVE WE FORGOTTEN?

Official Cardinale ranking:
>Top Tier
Voiello
Gutierrez
>High Tier
Spencer
Caltanissetta
>Mid Tier
Dussolier
Aguirre
>Low Tier
Marivaux
Ozolins
>Had potential but was instantly forgotten tier
Assente

that's aquite good title for 2nd season

Some people really aren't capable of understanding or appreciating basic things like satire or social commentary, these are the same people who find capeshit and identity politics amusing

man I fucking love this show

I don't know how they can do a second season without bastardizing the first

>called Assente
>is a fag

wew

That CGI kangaroo hurt my eyes

Any good quality nudity in this?

Actually, yeah.

Sorrentino clearly likes tiddies.
Unlike GoT most of the women aren't flat as a board.

the stream i found doesnt translate the italian parts, are they supposed to be like that?

>airing tomorrow
nooo, TYP threads used to be the best and comfiest threads around, they'll turn to shit now

Yes

>dat femnazi with the B painted on her chest
hggggnnn

Nope you need to download subtitles

fuck this show then, boring af

there are sites with subtitles but i wont link it because i want to keep my site :^)

Good pleb filter is working perfectly

the one i download have included subtitles and everything
that dude make me wonder how fucking dumb Sup Forums users are when it come to streaming/torrenting shit

>t just seems like an American Atheist's fantasy or something, a secret atheist who is american gets elected Pope and easy controls and takes over an ancient conservative heavily entrenched bureaucracy

He's a religious reactionary who's having a mid-life crisis of faith.

i dont torrent, stream only. not wasting time finding a stream with subs when the show hella boring

>Writer: So there's this pope right?
>HBO Exec: Go on.
>Writer: But get this. He's young. And he fucks.
>HBO Exec: [cigar falls out of mouth]

big bang theory doesnt have subtitles go watch that

just post the fucking picture next time if you want to shitpost you retard

this

the first half is a black comedy with super expensive sets and nice photography, and often it feels like it tries too hard to make Pious XIII a sort of Frank Underwood, which sucks. The humour is pretty good, but no one has an interesting character arc besides Voiello. It feels like the Pope doesn't even has one. The "emotional" scenes feel forced and lead nowhere.

>not originally made for hbo
>he never fucks

>youve never seen the show
excellent post:DD

Show is great. It's been the first new show that I've really been engrossed with in a long time.

His speech was good tho

The "what have we forgotten" speech in the first episode?

Yeah it was good. Great way to reveal a lot about his character, and it made me expect a different kind of show, which I finally got in the second half.

pleb filter: the show

if you don't enjoy it don't watch, you fucking pleb

That too, but I was referring to the real one

Daily reminder to watch Il Divo

The Esther bits have been my favorite so far. I found the pope's compassion for her despite his ruthlessness everywhere else to be interesting.

>Pious XIII

triggers me every time. the name is Pius

sorry, I get confused because of Pious Augustus in Eternal Darkness.

She just reminds him of his mother

link for stream?

Just torrent it.

vaffancu.lo/the-young-pope

doesnt work

>I have yet to meet a single likeable character
oh poor soul...

Voiello's mole makes me feel uncomfortable every time I see it

This show really took me by surprise. They could have easily made it a successful series about a young progressive pope who tries to bring progress but has to fight against established "evil" powers. What I got was way more nuanced and interesting. Pius holds conservative views and is cunning,stoic and rageful but there are enough scenes where he seems christlike and resembles a true saint. Great series!

why not post the twitter screenshot