We are truly Netflix Lemony snickets a series of unfortunate events

>we are truly Netflix Lemony snickets a series of unfortunate events
DROPPED

The streaming content vs movies jokes were funny, and the "bought it on the internet" thing wasn't bad, but then they fucking name-dropped Uber, and that's waaaaaay to specific. Stupid.

Wait it's set in present day?

DROPPED

Yeah that was awkward. Other than that the humor has been pretty on-point.

Can't believe they're STILL trying to make this shit happen. The Jim Carrey movie was fucking awful and whoever calls themselves "Lemony Snicket" deserves to burn to death!!!FACT!!!

That's not the problem. The books are intentionally a huge mix of time periods. A store is said to sell fiber-optic cabels, and there's at least one computer. But just saying a specific brand like that, in a universe where every brand is fictional, does not work.

Jim Carrey film was kino, you uneducated swine.

my childhood disagrees

>After all this time we've finally made it to Netflix's Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Book 5: The Austere Academy (or, Kidnapping! for the paperback edition)

Jesus Christ, really?

>name-dropped Uber
ew

Figures a namefag would be wrong

It was a baby speaking in subtitles.

It's always been anachronistic.

The novels had shit like sending a telegram and calling someone on a phone latter in the same book. Modern shit in some bleak gothic setting

it's p. fun

that's even worse

I read all the books some years back, I don't expect much from this series, but it is very enjoyable also Violet is a total total qt

I watched ep1 and I'm so conflicted. Aspects of the show are incredibly witty or smart, while others are bizarrely silly for the sake of the 8-10 y/o market that Netflix was targeting (given the show tags.)

Also who the fuck decided a CGI baby was a good idea, the backgrounds already stood out as a poor-man's attempt to be Wes Anderson, but did this show have any budget?

I think the first episode is the worst, mostly because of that horrible opening scene at the beach, but after I got used to the setting and atmosphere it all really grew on me.

What did everyone think of the change where: (Book 4, eps 7-8 spoiler)

Georgina dies by falling into the furnace instead of falling into the saw blade?

I guess it's fine, but stupider.

yeah, i always head canoned it to being set in early 90s, my small town got sucked into being extremely early adopters of fiber optic at the time. Telegraphs were still being heavily used. and room sized computers could still be seen in places that hadn't upgraded. plus the internet was extremely new in the 90s. plus at least in the US, the futher you get away from big cities the more time seems to fall back in terms of style and whatnot. also it would deal with cell phones and dna and why count olaf could essentially kill people and get away with it

although they really shouldn't have said uber, that is the worst.

i mean taxies still exist.

>safe crackers
That was so fucking retarded and I loved it

I didn't get the joke until now, holy shit.

I don't get it

They just cracked the safe.

It's just another racist joke.

Death by saw blade would have been way too gruesome to show.

was the Uber name drop in the last two episodes? I felt like it would have come up with the taxi driver in WW but it's either not there or I missed it

it is. sunny says it while they're in the crooked house

Episode 5 or 6, when they're trying to get to the ferry.

shit, I guess I tabbed out at the exact wrong time then

Uncle Monty's death looked pretty bad, and I thought the leg press might be gruesome too, but they pulled that off well. I didn't think we'd get something gory, but I thought they might have her trip back toward the saw blade and have Snicket interject, show surprised reactions from the crowd and show her glasses skitter across the floor or something.

It's a quick one-liner from Sunny in WW. Probably the best place to put it if they had to, but it shouldn't have been there.

>Five mintues in
>James Brown
>Magic mechanical arm in a picnic basket

This already feels way off.

The mechanical arm is so wildly out of place, it's crazy. Stick with it, it only gets better from that.

>its a will arnette scene

This. The pilot is easily the worst episode of the season, you really have to give it a second chance.

NPH just essentially plays himself in makeup.

ehhhhhhh I'm gonna give this a shot, but they are making it hard.

>Post yfw the Miserable Mill song

>telegrams
>early 90s
Bullshit

>my childhood
Jim Carrey's ASOUE

Get the fuck out.

I'm almost done with this season. Is it just me that thinks this is bad or is this really just for eight year olds?

IT'S THE COUNT
IT'S THE COUNT
IT'S THE COUNT

>A godforsaken nickelodeon
Does that mean what I think it means?

>is this really just for eight year olds?
It's a book series for 8 year olds, what did you expect?

If you're watching for anything but pure nostalgia, you're a fucking idiot.

What were all these scenes for?

lol

we have a big guy here

This show really caught me off guard. It was much better than I expected and I can't wait for the second season. It won't be your thing if you are annoyed by the whole
>we want the Wes Anderson audience

id argue it was trying more for a pushing daisies/bryan fuller feel in terms of kinda cheesy but still striking visual style. Even down to the forced quaintness and stilted dialog and narration style.

it's still a shitty derivative either way. shoulda just gotten fuller to do it right.

I know it's a show for kids but even cartoon characters these days feel like they have more complexity than the characters here so far

I'm not even a fan of the "bought it online" thing, I always thought the point was to be as ambiguous as they could get away with

>don't ask, don't tell. That's my motto
why did they get Raimi to write only the last episode?

>id argue it was trying more for a pushing daisies/bryan fuller feel in terms of kinda cheesy but still striking visual style.
You're almost certainly correct. Sonnenfeld was an executive producer on Pushing Daisies and he directed almost all of these episodes.

He also executive produced the movie.
Which explains more of the overt similarities with the movie that the show had.

>Entire story opes under the premise that it's dark and gloomy and sad
>That fucking goofy as fuck accordion that plays whenever something even remotely dark is happening
>All these tonal inconsistencies

Biggest WHOOSH that ever WHOOSHed

there's a lot of really out of place CGI in the first episode for some reason

Man I love this series! I can't wait for the handsome Count Olaf to return and save the children in the second season.

God, that fucking accordian. Unceasing.

I hate how the dialog is so unnatural. It sounds like the characters are reading the book out loud. Could have toned that down perhaps.

i'm enjoying it but i always preferred the darker books towards the end

i like how they're really hammering the word definition thing which was a staple of the book's writing

i don't like how obvious they're making the secret society shenanigans though

also the car scene was my favourite scene from the movie, i forgot it wasn't in the book

>also the car scene was my favourite scene from the movie, i forgot it wasn't in the book
I laughed at the "we're somewhere south of Winnipeg" joke near the beginning of the show because Cobie Smolders' character on HIMYM was from Winnipeg but then I remembered afterwards that the narrative always talks about Winnipeg anyway

>but did this show have any budget?
You do realize CG is expensive, right? Also the baby is real most of the time.

Look how fucking weird this faggot looks, why do they have to ruin everything?