Is this his only worthwhile album? What other releases exemplify his work?

Is this his only worthwhile album? What other releases exemplify his work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hsrxvoWkLyM
youtube.com/watch?v=AaAMJZNi5f4
youtu.be/L3n_zkMdewk
youtu.be/-UOmBnoaWgs
youtu.be/AbU-mvPDWzM
youtu.be/UI5xdwIhSOk
youtu.be/_TRzd0xgSQk
youtu.be/24Jc8rC6S_E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes. And even that album isnt that great. Just a hack who died early enough to be considered a legend when in reality he was vastly inferior to his contemporaries Nujabes, Madlib, and of course Yeezus Christ.

This post genuinely angers me

The shining
Sunset blvd
Champion sound with madlib
Wew

Madlib is better than him for sure.

madlib>shawn kemp>dilla>everyone else is shit

Like Water For Chocolate by Common is mostly produced by Dilla, I'd say that's his most essential work other than Donuts.

Check out his production on Common's projects.
youtube.com/watch?v=hsrxvoWkLyM
youtube.com/watch?v=AaAMJZNi5f4

I mean if you didn't include the "Yeezus" part you might have had a point.

Name one Dilla album that is better than College Dropout, Late Registration, or Dark Fantasy. Ill wait.

LR you got me.

This is definitely better than CD and MBDTF though.

theres been a phenomenon within the white indie blogosphere for a long time of only legitimizing commercial releases from hip hop artists

dilla, like many dj's (screw, etc) and rappers (most critical darling rappers) have plenty of great works on 12's and online/cassette mixtapes but since they dont tend to bring in any money or get propped up by jew record execs no one seems to notice

not hating on op, it's just unfortunate that this blatant ignorance from the media is largely why op even has to ask this question

What is the point of pissant posts like this? I like Kanye West a lot but we're talking about Dilla, who is excellent in his own right. It's like you feel threatened by another artist getting attention instead of your favorite.

Why don't you actually post said tapes instead of this drivel?

you can find them on google or youtube. search "j dilla" on youtube. what im saying is that these kinds of communities -- heavily influenced by critics of the upperclass -- tend to have little awareness of anything that isn't covered by said critics, which is kind of sad in a world where we can now easily find anything within seconds via the internet.

i think i was being pretty nice in my reply, and (maybe im being too optimistic for 4chab) potentially starting a conversation on musical culture on a music board (not to mention a discussion i rarely see take place here; i guess anything that isnt "this is patrician/pleb" or tekashi69 meme threads is "drivel") when i could have easily said "fuck off, use google" and saged the thread

Kanye isnt even my favorite artist. I havent even willingly listened to a single hip hop song in 2018 for enjoyment. Just through radio and friends. Im just stating the facts, user.

thats not anything to boast about, like you said it's 2018 and you could easily find good rap if you seek it out (like, ride the youtube algorithm wave for 20 minutes)

Oh shit, I'm actually familiar with both of Common's well-known albums and like them a lot; I didn't know Dilla produced Like Water for Chocolate.

You didn't answer the question though, you just gave an obtuse answer that doesn't really give any insight into Dilla's work. Even in your second response you didn't recommend any of his works. I can get a list of everything Dilla has ever done in seconds, but I was looking for opinions on his other pieces of work besides Donuts from people who know him well.

You didn't state anything; you asked an irrelevant question.

>I'm actually familiar with both of Common's well-known albums and like them a lot;
Definitely give his other stuff A listen to. Some great stuff there (except for UMC, fuck that album)

what are your top 5 screw tapes user?

the 2010 reissue (pic) comes with a CD of the instrumentals

some of his best work tbqh

Thanks, I've been meaning to check out more of his stuff actually.

Here's a personal ranking of his stuff:
BE
Like Water For Chocolate
Resurrection
One Day It'll All Make Sense
Black America Again
Finding Forever
Can I Borrow A Dollar?
(The rest is skippable)
The Dreamer/The Believer
Electric Circus (except for the last track)
Nobody's Smiling (except for the last track)
Universal Mind Control (hot garbage)

nigga he has like 1000 beats, and a lot of them are great, but theyre mostly not on these curated albums where you can just easily find the gems, especially someone whose work was mostly pre-internet. it also goes w/o saying that most artists independent work will prob be more experimental and daring than their commercial work

its like when people ask me about any prolific hiphop artist from dj screw to gucci mane to lil b -- i can give you a few recs but their work is so eclectic and scattershot that my best advice in this day and age would be to youtube them and trawl through their universe for a bit because its fun and you'll eventually find what youre looking for

here are some of my fav dilla beats

youtu.be/L3n_zkMdewk
youtu.be/-UOmBnoaWgs
youtu.be/AbU-mvPDWzM
youtu.be/UI5xdwIhSOk
youtu.be/_TRzd0xgSQk
youtu.be/24Jc8rC6S_E

Well Madlib is probably the greatest hip hop producer of all time so...

RZA*
I love madlib to death but it ain't even close.

RZA never produced something this good fight me.

Beat Konducta in India is a 11/10. But RZA in his prime was a fucking alien. come on man

wheres your 36 chambers nigga?
wheres your 6 feet deep my nigga?
wheres your ironman?
wheres your only built?
wheres your liquid swords?
wheres your return to the 36?
wheres your fucking ghost dog my nigga?

>wheres your 36 chambers
Cliche but I'll give it to you
>6 feet deep
Wasn't that produced by Prince Paul?
>ironman
No.
>only built
Favorite of the ones you listed
>liquid swords
Great, but not In India
>return to 36
I wanted to love the album but it got tiring on first listen. It's due for a relisten some time.
>ghost dog
Haven't heard.