No one here unironically disliked this right?

No one here unironically disliked this right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbue2Pi2tNY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

didn't watch it desu

Emma Stone is literally the "unattractive attractive girl" in hollywood right now

she has a weird power. she shouldn't be irresistible but i find her irresistible.

Gonna be pissed if Gosling wins an oscar desu, he doesn't deserve it

Casey Affleck is gonna win 100%, the only reason Gosling got a globe is because musical and drama are separated categories

Did reddit like it? My answer depends on that.

its for women and faggots.

I did treat it as a comedy and laughed at Gosling dancing though.

>He can't deal with films involving emotions

lol

it was pretty meh to be quite honest senpai

I didnt like it one fucking bit asshole
She's the ugly as sin girl in hollywood who cant act if you catch my meaning.

This is just your way of dealing with creeping loneliness and unfulfilled love.

It's popular, but not a superhero movie. What do you think?

Don't know about best picture, but it will get an oscar for best screenplay for sure.

I really didn't like it. I don't even know what people like so much about it. Are they just so starved for a half decent musical, they'll rave about anything, even something with the thematic complexity of The Little Engine That Could?

Thought it was really mediocre, especially after the intense character story that we Whiplash.

Not an argument.

memes aside, it's a good, not great, piece of slightly cynical hollywood worship that isn't particularly memorable

*glares

Ughhhhh!!!!!!!!

NO!Don't you know it's like, racist and stuff?

How was it cynical? Both characters achieve their dreams, even though that's quite unrealistic. If anything it's naive how hopeful the movie is.

Its script is so dishonest though

it's cynical in intention, not really providing any substance and acting as very simple academy awards fodder, almost to a shameless level

>I don't even know what people like so much about it

A simple but well executed story with relatable characters and great performances told through interesting framing and composition and quality set pieces.

I personally loved the commentaries from side characters which were essentially a critique of the elite in the industry, chuckled quite a few times.

I gotcha. I agree, it feels a lot like "The Artist" in that way.

i like the concept of hating something ironically

it's insincere filmmaking

Musicals are for fags

Unbearably stupid movie.

It dragged a bit towards the end. But i loved the final "what could have been" sequence

wdymbt?

That's a big dance number...

I don't think the story was well-executed at all. The victories for both main characters (you can call them bittersweet, but I don't really think so) are completely unearned.

>mia shits out a one-woman play, the first play she's written in her adult life
>does a single showing of the play
>of the eight people in the audience, one happens to be a talent scout who loves her
>gets offered a huge role and basically has the rest of her life handed to her on a silver platter

>seb reduced to an 80s cover band artist, bills are piling up
>runs into an old "friend" by sheer chance who immediately offers him a job out of the blue
>uses money from job to start an incredibly successful jazz club despite jazz clubs shutting down left and right and having no business experience

They basically luck into everything, and this is somehow justification for the film's "never give up on your dreams, no matter how delusional" message.

>"B-B-BUT THEY HAVE TO GIVE UP EACH OTHER TO ACHIEVE THEIR DREAMS"
Don't be a fucking drama queen.

A friend asked if I think it's good
Haven't seen it tho
Can someone write something Sup Forums would say about the movie, so I don't get botherd anymore because I'm the "movie guy"

You somehow managed to make La La Land even gayer.

Say you hated how all the jazz musicians were black and how that's racial stereotyping. Makes you seem like you're against racism while making a racist point of wanting more white people.

>Something Sup Forums would say
The Black guy was evil and the woman ends up unhappy, all of which made my pee pee hard

Why does this director have such a bad idea of what jazz is? He literally sounds like some Sup Forumstard who listened to jazz for the first time recently and now goes around saying how "patrician" his tastes are.

All your arguments are about the literal plot points, not about the execution of said story.

So you think the story is not written well, not executed badly.

Yeah, you're right, my bad.

Also it's dumb that the romance at the core of the film comes about due to the characters coincidentally running into each other three times.

why would I watch this when I could just watch singin' in the rain again?

This was better than singing in the rain

Its just like all the ugly guys that get famous and all the women think they are an irresistable godsend. Its becaise they are on tv and shown to be famous

It was a romantic comedy musical, wow how innovative. It was ok I guess, the people who praise it need to die

What does that even fucking mean?

If the director never makes a film like this again, then I like it.

If I see a 'La La Land 2' in name or in spirit be released, then fuck him. If he moves forward and makes something better then I'll give him credit for making a well executed oscar bait/ perfect date movie.

I liked the movie but I agree with you on the ending. Throughout the film there is a theme of contrast between dreams and reality. The ending felt like it was supposed to be the waking up to the harsh truth of the world, but them both getting their big dreams fulfilled goes against that.

What they should have done is this:

The two endings: The girl fulfilling her dream, then going back to see the guy playing in a shit band. Then the flashback sequence shows the alternative of him fulfilling his dream, while she continues to be a barista.

Ive had similar things to that happen at Uni. You see someone around campus a lot and eventually strike up a conversation with them when the opportunity arises. Although it happening in an entire city is not really probable, not liking a movie because it's unrealistic is autism at its finest.

Do you actually have a girlfriend who you "enjoyed" watching it with, or are you just a homosexual (not that there's anything wrong with that)?

I went there with a girl, she started crying and I held her hand and we kissed after the movie.

It was tailor made to be as easily digestible and audience and critic friendly ie jew oscarbait this time. It has no artistry it exists because it can.

That would be really cool.

>women
We all make mistakes

Gaybro?

My girlfriend said this film had a sad ending, because they weren't together. I told her it was a happy ending because they both fulfilled their goals they had from the beginning of the film. I was right, right?

Of course. We're discussing musicals in this thread.

I thought the emphasis was much more on the sacrifice they made to pursue their dreams rather than their actually achieving them.
I think it's sad that they did achieve their dreams but at the cost of losing each other and what could have been

>makes enjoyable movie
>is trash because too enjoyable

OK

Mia has it all by the film's end. Her career, a family, a man she loves. Sounds like your gf got memed into believing they were """meant""" for each other.

80% of what makes this film good is the visuals and sound .

Watched it in cinemas and loved it, but rewatching the low quality screener on a laptop made the movie lose all its charm. The plot and characters are paper-thin, what makes it fun to watch is the beautiful visuals and sound that keeps you glued to the screen. That's just achieved by seeing it on the big screen or waiting for a Blu-Ray rip that you watch on a big TV.

DUDE JAZZ LMAO

nah fuck off

>enjoyable
Christ that's embarassing taste

I prefer darker, deeper movies for nihilistic intellectuals such as myself

Why did they break up?

DUDE WHITE PEOPLE LMAO
DUDE DONALD GLOVER WOULD BE BETTER LMAO

you like jazz?

>what do you mean you don't like jazz?? You just don't know what REAL jazz is

t: every jazz autist ever

it's true

t. Jazz autist

That's literally how the average fan of this movie looks like

I didn't like it. I don't like musicals, I don't see how the musical sequences add anything to the plot or flesh out something or give more impact to something, and it feels like the plot is just an excuse to bring together those musical pieces. Also the directing was overblown and its flashiness didn't serve a purpose other than oscar baiting.

the average fan is female

>I don't see how the musical sequences add anything to the plot or flesh out something or give more impact to something

where on the spectrum are you?

It's good just not as great as the critics are making it out to be.

>doesn't like musicals
>watches one anyway

In an alternate universe where La La Land was the exact same film but panned by critics and the general public, it would be considered one of the greatest films of all time by Sup Forums.

Took my mom because she bought the hype, and even she was disappointed. It's mediocre in all: music, acting, dancing, plot, and etc.

There were some good scenes, but they were not enough to elevate this.

I disagree on Sebastian. He meet the old friend in one of the few (or last one?) jazz club, which is an interest to both. The reason he probably was at that place was to scout a talent to his band in the first place, and look who is there, his talented "friend". Makes sense.

What I don't like was that he undid his "grow up" because of Mia's retarded 'but but your dreams'. He was saving money, making connections, if he stayed a year more it'd make more sense his successful club later

>What I don't like was that he undid his "grow up" because of Mia's retarded 'but but your dreams'

When did he do this?

The scene where Mia is at Seb's and he burns dinner. Mia pesters him for so easily agreeing to the gig with John Legend. It's a decent gig, but Mia prods him for giving up his jazz club idea for it.

>If he moves forward and makes something better then I'll give him credit for making a well executed oscar bait/ perfect date movie.
I hope he makes something different than a movie about music, like Whiplash and La La Land were.

They didn't want to do LDR for 3 months? You saw how Mia lost her mind about him being in the band, even though he was in it for about 2-3 months max by that point and was actually gone a fair bit, not to mention they had been dating a max of 4-5 months by that point so they were barely in a serious relationship.

"You gotta follow your dreams! Even though you have literally no capital to start a jazz club in one of the most expensive cities in the country. You've only been doing this for 2 months, and probably haven't even caught up fully on your debts yet, and you've also only committed for a couple years. I know you're young, and can make a ton of money from this if you just give up 2-3 years of your early thirties, leaving you roughly 60 years to try the club thing with at least an easy million bucks as a buffer if it fails, but you should quit the band right now this moment because you're not home enough to see me. FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!"

And best screenplay goes to...

that annoyed me too

Seb should have just said "Look, I'm playing in this band for a year or two to make enough money, then I'll do the jazz club thing. What the fuck else do you expect me to do? Pull the money out of my ass?"

i unironically didnt go to see it

Even at the shittiest play at LA, there is always some scout trying to find "something". That's how Hollywood works. Some huge scout sees a "nobody-knows" actress, thinks wannabe actress will be the big next thing... and you have a huge star in months or few years. More often than not, it's not about having a solid career, just being on the right place at the right time.

I was thinking the same. Probably the worst part of the movie.

People here ironically like it, so I don't see why not.

OK sure, I'll take that, but to have her then offered a literal dream job where a studio is building this big picture "around the actress" is lame and cheap. It's a turn on a dime and feels artificial. Not to mention we've seen this shit before in 10,000 movies.

>"Character who is down on their luck gets goaded into an opportunity by romantic interest/loveable best friend/antagonist turned ally"

Its boring.

white peepo circlejerk

It's an homage

this is my reply

An homage to musicals of eras gone by. I get it. The thesis of this movie is about what you have to sacrifice to make those movie dreams come true. It's a fairytale that's supposed to have a dark, real tinge to it.

Except they didn't really need to sacrifice that 8 month relationship they were in. They could have made it work, or at least tried more than a 5 minute conversation in a bench where they act like it's a foregone conclusion. They sacrificed it because that's what the script demanded. And just because your film is an homage doesn't mean it can't be boring when it lapses into cliche. He could have done more to break the mold, to make his idea hit home in an interesting way. But he didn't and the movie ends up being kind of safe and boring.

>films should be enjoyable
Where do you think you are?

Sup Forums - Film&Television

They run out of time. Its a movie, do you have very few time to make a whole story. Besides, it's a musical. Good luck with that, Director and screenwriter.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbue2Pi2tNY
it was pretty weak stuff. damien chazelle is an overrated hack

i hate their singing , i hate the songs, i hate the implied autofellatio

>Both lead actors are white
>Being able to walk around Los Angeles at night
>Running into a random person THREE TIMES in a city of 4 million people

At the very least this movie will be good to look back on and have a chuckle when in another 15 years Los Angeles finally devolves into an 80% Latino uber-shithole.