Watch No Country For Old Men back when it was released

>Watch No Country For Old Men back when it was released.
>Wow this movie is fucking badass but the ending is weird and kind of ruined the movie.
>Watch it a decade later as an adult.
>Literally one of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

Holy shit. It would have been a great action thriller without the plot twist, but the fact that the movie dares to subvert itself and destroy its iconic villain makes it pure kino.

tfw hail ceaser was shit

cormac mccarthy is a genius and if you disagree you are objectively an idiot

iktfb

You'll be making the same thread as OP in 9 years
I was lucky enough to watch NCFOM at an age where I was on the edge of being able to comprehend why it's such an incredible film. Watching it at the time I think single handedly made me a patrician

It wasn't that good

Very low IQ

>Absolutely one of the best films ever made, have won multiple oscars for it's performance.

>3/5 rating on netflix

Plebs for you

Sad!

That's your recommendation score, not the objective one

You must watch hunks of pleb shit so they're hesitant to recommend it to you

Be sure to watch there will be blood

>Literally one of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

Nothing satisfies me more than another user who shares my exact opinion.

Hello rebbit

Netflix is meant primarily for normies. A normie would never like a movie where the villain avoids death by the skin of his teeth and just literally walks away.

total garbage, fuck off retard

what

>subvert
did you watch the fucking film? There is no 'subversion', Chigurh is exactly as he is written in the novel, a realistic portrayal of someone who transforms himself into a sociopath with self delusions of being a 'force of nature'.

baby's first complex villain.

>Theme of the movie is that shitty things can happen to anyone, but that you have to learn to accept that and let go.
>Plebs hate it.

Why am I not surprised?

Every pitbull advocate needs to watch this film.

>did you watch the fucking film? There is no 'subversion', Chigurh is exactly as he is written in the novel, a realistic portrayal of someone who transforms himself into a sociopath with self delusions of being a 'force of nature'.

Throughout the entire movie, he's painted as this Terminator'like figure. He's this icecold badass who flips a coin and kills people on a whim. But right before the movie ends with "the coin has nothing to do with it, it's just you." and right after that he's in a random car crash. Showing him distressed and vulnerable.

I think that's pretty subversive, the movie basically paints him as a supervillain, but in the end we find out he's nothing special.

If I had to describe this flick in one word I would use 'cucky'

What plot twist are you talking about?

Netflix ranks films out of what you watch and how you score movies. So if NCFOM has a low score it says a lot more about your taste in film than anything else.

Netflix has a new Ru Paul movie up that has almost a solid 5 stars...

Just to make you think, I'll let you figure out what that says about Netflix

One of the few movies I watched as a teen that I don't regret liking.

Another example: Melancholia.

OP, it would seem to me that you are just a pleb whose taste happens to coincide with that of a patrician's.

i think you need to step outside the framing of the film while you watch it (especially a coen brothers movie) but nothing you said was untrue.

If you see it that way I guess it's not as dumb as I thought. Personally Chigurh was just self constructed automaton who consistently experienced remorse and doubt just under the surface of his mindless assassin personae. I don't know if he actually was shaken by Moss' wife confronting him about his coin delusion but it's nice to speculate.

If everyone mistakes a pleb for a patrician, is he still a pleb?

I probably didn't appreciate it as much as I do now, but I first watched it when I was 13/14 and I still thought of it as my favourite film.

It was definitely different to anything is seen before.

>it's been 10 years since NCFOM came out
God damn.

2007 was a year filled with absolute kinos

>No Country for Old Men
>The Assassination of Jesse James
>There Will Be Blood
>Eastern Promises
>Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
>Zodiac

Yes.

Was baked af first time I attempted to watch this, and I laughed for 45 minutes due to tommy lee jones telling the story about the serial killer saying he was going to hell, and he'd be there in bout fiteen minutes

When I watched it in a non retarded state of mind and it was fucking incredible.

>dude weed LMAO
fuck off

lmaooooooo u exposed yourself

I watched it again about a month ago for the first time since it was released, and definitely appreciated it a lot more this time.

Blood meridian movie when

Given how every other McCarthy adaption aside from the Coen one has been cinematic fuckups (especially the ones Franco made) i wouldn´t think that we´ll be seeing that ever happening

Yeah, it was a great year.

The Road was good.

It´s also, arguebly, McCarthys least interesting novel

Hello. Rebbit.

The Road and The Counselor were good

>I can't enjoy anything in my miserable life

go choke on a bag of dicks

>weed is the only thing i can enjoy
what did he mean by this?

Have another You, you've done well

That none of it happened and it was all just a dream Tommy Lee Jones had

not him but
>saying retard makes you a psuedo intellectual

Fuck, I dont remember the end
Watched it like 2 years ago, and remember it being really good
Time to rewatch

>What plot twist are you talking about?

The majority of the film plays like an action thriller. Josh Brolin's character acquires a suitcase of money and Javier Bardem chases him, you assume Josh Brolin is the protagonist of the movie, but then Josh Brolin is killed off-screen and Javier Bardem gets away. The story of the movie is actually about Tommy Lee Jones character. He resents the violence he deals with on such a frequent basis in his line of work, but at the end he accepts that most things are out of his control and there's nothing he can do about it. Which is why it's called "No Country for Old Men."

Why is the ending good?

>Do you see me?

Jesus. What a great year.

>spot the 12yo

Aside from TLJ's forced monologue, this was a fucking great film and easily one of my favorites. The gas station scene and the scene at the hotel were brilliant, as was the rest of the film.

And it was 10 years ago...

You know the ratings are generated based on your preferences right? They're not the same for everyone

>le meme man representing the force of nature and a reddit tier director continual inability to put an ending in any of their shitty films

Nice try OP

Don't respond to the faggot on top of me, not worth it, my dudes. Filter him.

(you)

Step out of the thread please sir.

No, you have to go back

>Mfw when star wars fans expose themselves

>Do I fit in, yet? XDDDD

+1 upboat

>Why is the ending good?
Because it completely changes how you look at the entire movie imo.

The structure feels more like a typical thriller at first, then the last parts of the movie deliberately go against this. There was no real hero or villain in this story, much like real life. It was a bunch of events that could have played out in a number of different ways, because real life doesn't really care if the hero wins or not, and it doesn't care about the villain either, which is what the car crash shows at the end.

Pretty hard to put into words. Very nihilistic movie.

I watch the move and am like "hmm... ok."

Then when I see writeups like this I'm in awe of all the people who want to share an analysis of this movie like it's something brilliant. So I must be super plebian and should take a livestock killstick to the forehead.

That's the thing, just because it's unconventional ending doesn't mean it's good. If you didn't want to give me an unconventional ending, don't give a conventional premise.

I was the same as you, but let me share a bit of wisdom. Read more, re;watch films like this and try to read between lines.

I dont think its nihilistic, Llewelyn had a life, he had a woman he loved and a roof over his head.

It was him giving in to greed that brought disaster in all those peoples life.

He finally killed the guys wife, right?

Watch the scene where he leaves the house again, that will answer your question.

Not sure if reverse troll but if not that was netflixs score FOR YOU

as in its What it thinks ur pleb ass would rate it

Its a story with depth. I mean you can watch it like just a regular thriller but like with most coen films you can talk about the characters, their motivation and what it all means.

Different poster here but upon rewatch I noticed chigurr kinda stumble when the wife questioned him and he regurgitates his same canned phrase. "I... got here the same way the coin did" as if her response kinda threw him off.

The car accident I think just showed life is randon and sometimes the badguys can get lucky and walk away. If anythings being subverted its the three act structure.

how so?

I remember he wiped his shoes on the grass or something.
So I take it that Peggy is dead :(

See

>life is random

That's very recurring in Cohen films. Big Lebowski, Burn After Reading, A Serious Man...

i think it does subvert chigurr, he just stands in for the violence of the audience. In a film like that we don't mind if the good guy dies or the bad guy wins, what matters is the catharsis of someone killing someone else. It subverts that by not showing the key character deaths (and by teasing the cops death), and by chigurr realizing his own culpability when speaking with the wife. The coin flip can be seen as just 'do the audience get a violent action sequence or do we keep building tension till the next flip'. Except when it becomes time to pay off this tension they deliberately skip to after its over, and the real action sequences fall on you out of nowhere. the wife shows the hypocrisy of chigurr's attitude of violence justifying itself, because it is inevitable he is inevitable and our catharsis is justified. But she shows him that it has consequence, and it is intrinsic to him. He is not a symbol, but a character also.

>No Country for Old Men
>The Assassination of Jesse James
>There Will Be Blood
Some of the best movies ever made

>I dont think its nihilistic, Llewelyn had a life, he had a woman he loved and a roof over his head.

It's funny that you bring up this, because this is exactly why I think it's so nihilistic.

Llewelyn is painted as someone the viewer can root for, by all accounts he's a person that "deserves to live", yet he still dies, and not in some grandiouse manner either. He just does.

The movie reveals its true colors and shows its true colors, the movie didn't Llewelyn special, it didn't consider anyone special, bad things happen to good people.

You said yourself its the story structure (by not showinh the deaths) that is subverted. This is further the case when tommy lee jones throws in the towel and gives up. In the standard heros journey he would pull himself up from the bootatraps and catch the badguy but that's not how the real world works. This ain't a Cinderella story he quietly sips his tea and lets it go

>The movie reveals its true colors and shows its true colors, the movie didn't Llewelyn special, it didn't consider anyone special, bad things happen to good people.

Full brainfart.

The movie reveals its true colors, the movie didn't consider Llewelyn special, it didn't consider anyone special, bad things happen to good people.*

This could have been one of my favorite films of all time. i absolutely loved it up until the part where he leaves the house and get's hit by the car.

the scene was so ridiculous and unbelievable i just thought "fuck this" stopped watching right there and left the theater.

Why? That showed that Chigurh was a human, too. Not to mention that the point of the whole scene is that sometimes bad guys get to walk away free of charge, well, for the most part at least. It tied film's themes quite well, I don't see why people shit on it.

Yeah but he had a choice.

I mean there is worth in life, its just bad decisions that lead to bad results. Thats not exactly nihilistic its realism.

>It was him giving in to greed

No, it was his altruism that killed him. If he never tried to bring water to the dying guy, he'd have been fine.

I love the end of this movie. Chigurh, full of terrifying self-confidence in nihilism, and having made himself into the manifestation of chaos is in a few short moments confronted with the realization that he is actually its servant. It is his nemesis and it will destroy him at any moment whenever it feels like it. Ultimately, his life is meaningless and unfulfilling. He will be snuffed out like a lone candle in the void.

In juxtaposition, the old sheriff, who spent his life feeling futile and almost hopeless holding back the tides of chaos and evil is rewarded with the vision of his father going on before him and passing the torch of human dignity to him. In time he will realize that he will be the heroic figure in his successor's dreams. He will die knowing his life was meaningful.

thats a different anons post, though i agree

Can we please all learn how to spell shigure correctly for fucks sake

Can't you stop obsessing over trivial matters such as this?

>Which is why it's called "No Country for Old Men."
Why does not being able to do anything about violence mean there's no country for old men?

I only found out about this recently. They were retarded with their recommendations for me. I spent an hour rating everything and it works ok now.

Now they need to fix their stupid wacky lolsorandum descriptions

I think he's trolling as that is right near the end of the movie so he wasn't missing anything

>Why does not being able to do anything about violence mean there's no country for old men?

Because Tom Bell was about to retire, the ending of the movie is him accepting the fact that he does not have to try to carry the world on his shoulders, his job as a sheriff is done, he let's go.