/prod/ - Music Production General /fsr/ Edition

Sample Roulette Challenge Edition

Follow instructions in image to join. Check fp for more
Participating in the Sample Roulette? Add '/fsr/' to your post

-

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback. Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

Previous thread: >ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>RESOURCES:

Sound Design:
>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nCX8pRKfuWw
freesound.org/s/78429/
freesound.org/s/7842/
freesound.org/s/784/
freesound.org/s/78/
freesound.org/s/7/
clyp.it/35l1ugsf
clyp.it/4wdzwbz5
clyp.it/1wggfwag
vocaroo.com/i/s1gUKmkiDZPz
vocaroo.com/i/s0vg0MfpKpux
youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914
youtube.com/watch?v=Vb8Si6BsuNM
vocaroo.com/i/s0Vp3g4wMLcM
vocaroo.com/i/s1kq392Io43s
clyp.it/orsevntr
clyp.it/5bp0nf4b
clyp.it/1b4gp4pj
clyp.it/zlteswbc
clyp.it/nwuc3rij
clyp.it/i5xnrj04
clyp.it/brcn25vz
clyp.it/ryrutpyl
clyp.it/ko1bi3uu
youtu.be/Y0-VDYwTzIE?t=2m49s
clyp.it/iivu5mxk#
youtube.com/watch?v=pCK2d58vWTY
vocaroo.com/i/s1LCwqMF8GoL
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Where the fuck is the rest of the list?
Also, anons, can you give me some advice on making minimal/ cold wave? like this:youtube.com/watch?v=nCX8pRKfuWw
Thx in advance

o hell yea roll

should i get Ableton 10 Intro to learn prod

freesound.org/s/78429/
>bats.wav
freesound.org/s/7842/
>basic pulse wave 2 C1.wav
freesound.org/s/784/
>110bpm mashed drums.aif
freesound.org/s/78/
>weird male screams pack / JueB.wav
freesound.org/s/7/
>voice-boat-morphing.wav

freesounds login to download
user: lazyanon
pw: lazy

from other thread

>clyp.it/35l1ugsf

my technical skills arent as high as some people in this thread yet but I really like how funky this is and suggest bringing the highs down a little to help the bass support the track. it feels like it's hanging off the treble of that synth not being built from the ground up.

here is a sampling of a more fleshed out version of a WIP i posted yesterday. it's a stylistic choice to blend the vocals in (they're not particularly strong and blending them in helps them seem better)

I feel like the mix is muddy until it opens up at 1:10 and even then still kind of is.

and I'm not sure how to fix it. I tried to employ the advice of the previous thread but as the track evolved I think I lost it :(

sidebar I know my mixing is not particularly strong but I'm working on it

clyp.it/4wdzwbz5

dude i love it

i'd add some bells though

oops i'm a bean and I don't think I made it clear whose clips were whose so i'm not sure which you mean

this is mine:
>clyp.it/4wdzwbz5
(here is a sampling of a more fleshed out version of a WIP i posted yesterday. it's a stylistic choice to blend the vocals in (they're not particularly strong and blending them in helps them seem better.) I feel like the mix is muddy until it opens up at 1:10 and even then still kind of is. and I'm not sure how to fix it. I tried to employ the advice of the previous thread but as the track evolved I think I lost it :( sidebar I know my mixing is not particularly strong but I'm working on it)

this is his:
>clyp.it/35l1ugsf
(my technical skills arent as high as some people in this thread yet but I really like how funky this is and suggest bringing the highs down a little to help the bass support the track. it feels like it's hanging off the treble of that synth not being built from the ground up.)

>clyp.it/35l1ugsf
I meant yours, I love it but i'd add some bells and maybe more hats

oh well thank you! i'll play around with some bells and see if they fit well or not, thanks for the suggestions. But do you mean louder/more present high hats or more in quantity?

more present, it doesn't feel that drivey, so i'd add hi hats

clyp.it/1wggfwag

how bout this lil change or more

>freesound.org/s/78429/
>>bats.wav

this sample is so good it's almost cheating.

please rate songwriting (lyrics are filler)
vocaroo.com/i/s1gUKmkiDZPz

How can I use chords to back the chromatic melody (C down to G) instead of just going bar-chords down (Am G#dim F# F E Em) ???

heres the melody without lyrics
vocaroo.com/i/s0vg0MfpKpux

>>clyp.it/4wdzwbz5
i'd use a different hat, needs to be a lot darker and... turned down

i didn't care for the faster part. i thought the vocal melody would turn into youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914 lmao

it's fucking full of background noise wtf

get a pop filter
also angle the mic like.... toward your mouth. don't sing directly at it. eat a green apple before vocal takes (yes i'm serious cuts down on mouth noises)

i wish the guitar was louder too

i mean i liked it. it reminds me of some acoustic recordings flea from rhcp did with the way your voice harmonizes with the chords in a couple spots....

this one youtube.com/watch?v=Vb8Si6BsuNM

maybe it'll give you an idea lol

>also angle the mic like.... toward your mouth. don't sing directly at it
does that mean angling it a bit off or no angle but with some distance

>maybe it'll give you an idea lol
the flea recording? ok i'll learn it and try to absorb something

thanks for the tips

what about this direction?
vocaroo.com/i/s0Vp3g4wMLcM

heard it before but it's not bad

falls apart after 0:20

>heard it before
what u mean
>falls apart after 0:20
hope this one is more defined
vocaroo.com/i/s1kq392Io43s

backgrounds finished

>what u mean
as in i swear i heard that vocal melody all over the radio 15 years ago

>hope this one is more defined

jfc i'm not going to hold your hand through every little change, finish your song and make decisions yourself wtf

sounds like a completely different song i don't like it or maybe i'm just hungry and in a bad mood >:(

>as in i swear i heard that vocal melody all over the radio 15 years ago
so i cant make original lines

you don't HAVE TO
idk what the deal is, you just posted like 5 different songs wtf

stop seeking validation mang

anyone here own a roland tr-8? if so, how do you like it?

not validation but opinions
i posted just the same song all the time

Friend I feel like you're just kinda grumpy today but I get that Is being really annoying

im like that every day, what do you think of my songwriting

Rolling.

I'M GRUMPY BECAUSE THE SONG I'VE BEEN WORKING ON ALL DAY IS TAKING 5EVER AND IT'S HARD AND I HAVEN'T EATEN YET BECAUSE THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT

desu i also just get sick of coming into /prod/ and the people who need the most help don't know how to ask for it or take what advice they're given and use it constructively

HELP US HELP YOU, POSTING A MINUTE SNIPPET AND ASKING IF PEOPLE LIKE IT DOESN'T HELP YOU MAKE IT BETTER

i've been here too fucking long

how do i help you help me on a song then

checked

how about start with finishing the whole thing

you've got to bring something that you're confident in already that you think could be improved in a particular way but you might not know how to do it, or what exactly that spice is. if you're in your first year or just starting, people are going to listen to it and think "well that's shit, wtf do i tell them other than that it's shit?" if you already know your singing is off, the melody is lacking, or your shit is just all half baked, you already know that and that's exactly what people are going to tell you. it's a waste of time seeking encouragement

specific questions especially go a long way
(not how to make it better in general)

i realize this all comes off extremely anal (because i am about this stuff lol) but maybe some kid lurking doesn't already know this shit

I'm glad you guys like the FSR thing.
I was about to go to sleep but fuck it, I'll try making something now.

Any suggestion for the roulette (regarding rules, wording, anything) is more than welcome.

>!/rPhaser/M

wtf i hate it now

You're not supposed to roll. The whole point of the roulette is to start from the same point and compare the results with each other.

s-sorry

>that you think could be improved in a particular way but you might not know how to do it, or what exactly that spice is
thats the case
>if you're in your first year or just starting
been playing for 5 years and singing for 1 and composing for even less
>if you already know your singing is off
it isnt but if it is it doesnt matter
>the melody is lacking
i really liked it
>your shit is just all half baked
its a demo with just teh chords and the vocal melody thats what it is and what i want opinions on, what do you want

rolling

My guy you asked for advice and have been posting really bad stuff ever since yesterday do you want the truth or do you want ass pats? Don't be a pussy

The reason we have been telling you it's bad and reacting like this is because you don't know wtf you're doing or asking. Lurk more.

It's a great idea, but it could be improved. For example, the Freesound site only turned up 1 single wav file if the roulette was done the correct way as shown in image example. Also OP message could be better

i answered back with my thoughts, can you take it

fuck this shit

lmao

What do you mean?
The digits in the OP gave us these samples: no?

rolling

projecting, just because you make shitty music and will never amount to anything doesn't mean you should take it out on other people

clyp.it/orsevntr

I'm sorry but you have to be honest with people.

yeah fuck this shit, i posted a little demo of a song sketch and dude could just complain on the production etc, ill just go back to my bubble and keep learning

i want to add a bass line to the sample im using but i don't know what note it is or what notes i can use. how do i know?

Loop the sample and play bass notes along with it, use the ones that fit. If you can't tell which ones fit then you have a different problem.

ok then i have a different problem

learn to hear good and bad notes then

Fair enough, I was being a little facetious but there are two (well, three) reasons you could be not hearing a bass note that fits with your sample - one is as mentioned by , you need more ear training, the second cause (and this happens a lot with samples of older music, and samples from vinyl) is that your sample could be slightly flat or sharp from concert pitch so it sits "in between" notes you play along with it, so you're unable to find anything that fits, solution to that one is to progressively pitch the sample up or down in small amounts and re-attempt to find fitting bass notes.

The third one is that your parents cheaped out when they ordered you from the store, and what you believe to be ears on the sides of your head are actually just stickers.

im just new to the concept of sound in general. i'm trying every note with my sample and they all make me think: "yeah that could work i guess".

>The third one is that your parents cheaped out when they ordered you from the store, and what you believe to be ears on the sides of your head are actually just stickers.

made me (:

Which notes sound better, then? It's all just judgement on your part, and as long as you're not gonna be punished by anyone for using the "wrong" notes in early projects you've got nothing to lose by just picking some and going with them. You'll get better at it the more you do it.

clyp.it/5bp0nf4b

well how about this then? i went from A sharp to F

or just tune the sample to something standard before you use it

>clyp.it/5bp0nf4b
nice old school breakbeat vibe but that crackle noise is too loud/clear/crisp and it's a bit obnoxious.

sampling something like that is like covering stairway to heaven man ._.

how do you mean?

mhm i thought so too

clyp.it/1b4gp4pj

better?

The bass sounds really out of place.

clyp.it/zlteswbc
Posted this yesterday, didn't get any feedback.

sounds horrid, i did not enjoy listening to that. that's not enjoyable music. that's bad.

clyp.it/nwuc3rij

Care to elaborate on why it's bad, you cheeky motherfucker?

not bad, very dreamy.

I don't make anything good. This challenge will suck.

believe in yourself. make something creative and out of the box

the melody is bland and uninteresting, lacks creativity and theory.
what the fuck is up with that intro? why is that in the song?
what the hell is up with those sudden 15kHz noises in the background? it hurts my ears, that's not attractive to listen to. it's not catchy, and it sounds pointless in general.

overall a really bad attempt at being deep and edgy, the result is disgusting unorchestrated noises that nobody wants to listen to.

oh and it's clipping everywhere. bad mixing and mastering.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't understand how it sounds like an attempt at being deep and edgy though.

you're welcome. don't quit your dayjob.

What advice would you give to fix the issue with clipping? Every attempt I've made only made it slightly better at best.

MFW I WANTED T O AN HERO LaST NiGhT

But spent all day working on a nice song and now I feel good walking on rainbows but in the back of my head I know this high is going to fade! -w-

Why can't this feeling be forever :((((

work on some banger beats all day everyday

I DO WHEN I CAN NOT ALWAYSBEATS THO

Fuck friends and tryna get laid imma bout this music U FEEL ME

clyp.it/i5xnrj04
?

triggered my ptsd

I dont know how to music whatso ever, but ive been making a track every 2nd day this year.

clyp.it/brcn25vz

Is this even music? am i tapping something orginal or stupidly overdone? ty

>clyp.it/brcn25vz
I see wht yourve going for but you need a more call and response type of enegry change on a bar by bar basis. The track needs some consistent melody that can be vaguely expected

ty
Use synths melodies across a better structure?
or like bohemian rhapsody call and response?

>tfw you create something that youre actually satisfied with
is there a greater feeling than this?

No, because that the whole point of life bae.

Yo I had a dream where the sidechain doctors came into my room and told me BITCH YOUR SIDECHAIN IS TOO LOSE so I wept in my sleep, is that bad?

clyp.it/ryrutpyl

thinking i should lower that crash in the A section?
any feedback on the rest of the song would be nice too.

clyp.it/ko1bi3uu

could i get some feedback

>clyp.it/ko1bi3uu
why does it say no vocals when there are vocal samples?
more variation in the sound of the hat would be nice

oops, uploaded the wrong mp3

rip

Is a laptop - cassette deck - laptop connection possible to make the cassette deck process audio for me in real time?

these drums do sound good huh
recorded with 4mics at a houses living room
2:49
youtu.be/Y0-VDYwTzIE?t=2m49s

trying to arrange and structure better
not particularly fond of the drum rolls and snare knocks i got goin on, but i'll change it up later
even with just a quick master and normalize, really highlights my flaws...

clyp.it/iivu5mxk#

I wish I could drop out of uni and just produce all day.

I'm sorry for posting the same tracks over and over but I'm so infatuated with this sound.

What are some methods and tips to achieve this aesthetic? Is it tape saturation? Filtering? Bitcrushing? Distortion? How is that bassline made? I just don't know, but I want to sound like this so much.

youtube.com/watch?v=pCK2d58vWTY

can i sing
vocaroo.com/i/s1LCwqMF8GoL

these are some seriously shit samples. congrats to the anons who can make something good out of this

I'm currently trying. It's a lot of fun.

Am I the only one?