What does Sup Forums think about Peter Greenaway and his work?

What does Sup Forums think about Peter Greenaway and his work?

I personally like his earlier stuff best, because it's slightly more accessable and his later films feel like pure art installations. Not that his is bad but I just prefer if there is some kind of story driven narrative on the surface.

I also love how he is not arrogant as a person and has no problems explaining his ideas and themes in detail in interviews.

Nobody interested in this outstanding director and artist?

Sup Forums is only for capeshit and starwars.

Oh come on there have to be a few anons who are interested in other kind of cinematic art, too.

Are you familiar with some of his movies?

No.

If I wanted to get into him, where should I start?

he's alright, i agree with him that we aren't taught how to read paintings and shit anymore and I support him promoting that shit

i would totall recommend starting chronologically.

Start with The Draughtsman's Contract and after that A Zed and Two Naughts and after that you should be prepared for what I think is his best work: The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover. If you liked that feel free to explore but as I said his more recent films become more and more abstract.

He shot his wad too early. Pic related is his unquestionable masterpiece in my mind, though a lot of his short movies before it are good too. His 80s stuff is interesting, but apart from The Draughtsman's Contract I don't think it ultimately adds up to much.

And from the 2000s onwards its just been a long slide into total cultural irrelevance. The post-modernism stopped being fun and just became insufferable.

Yeah, I like how he it shows that he really deeply studied more artistic fields than most other directors. Analyzing paintings properly is so much fun and also helps to understand visual film language so much better.

Oh damn forgot totally about The Falls of course. It's really mind blowing but I wouldn't recommend it for Greenaway beginners.

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover is a personal favorite. Also really enjoyed Drowning by Numbers, Zed etc. Haven't enjoyed anything of his as much since Cook, though.

Thanks.

Only seen TCTTHWAHL and ZOO, but they're both pretty neat. I have to appreciate that there's a filmmaker willing to make such actively discomfort-inducing film without going all gonzo. He gets a whole lot of mileage out of Nyman's scoring as well.

If his works are a bit less staged and smarmy they'd be top tier stuff.

As it is, it feels really dated.

Nyman is such a great composer. I really whished there would be more such great film scores these days.

The staged style bothered me more in his later works when it became much more important for him.

I fuggin love the guy.

The Falls is my personal favorite of his too but I think his late career might be his artistic high point.

The Tulse Luper Suitcases is fucking wild. The only filmic translation of the literary maximalist novel I've ever seen. The improbable history of one man threaded through the history of the 20th century. So many tangents and subplots it is literally impossible to follow to every end. Collage visuals and formal experimentation that creates multiple streams of film working simultaneously.

The Falls is so fucking good.

I fucking love novels with so many subplots and intertextual references that the reader almost looses his mind. Will I enjoys this then?

An honest and comfy patrician thread on Sup Forums in these dark times? I can't believe my eyes!

I don't know, I think The Falls might have tainted the very idea of those movies for me. In that movie Tulse Luper is almost a mythical figure, someone who seems to be an authority influencing everyone but who nobody sees directly.

And then he's just some everyday asshole wandering around the world, and... Eh. It's just a major letdown.

you might.
i think it's more of a gag than anything, the "twist" ending. the film exists in such a postmodern post-truth and self aware space ending the film by saying tulse luper's story wasn't real has no more effect than reminding you you're watching a movie.
it's also not hard to imagine in a film so full of revisionist histories and contradictory perspectives that the "twist" is just another attempt at making relative meaning of history.

"Car Crash", "Fish Beach" and "Prospero's Magic" are masterpieces

I like you. Do you have any other favorite composers? Philip Glass is obligatory, I guess. Zbigniew Preisner would be another one which blew me away.

Outside of Nyman and Glass the only heavyweight composers whose music I really follow independently would have to be Bernard Hermann and Angelo Badalamenti. I do enjoy the work of more popular bands/musicians as composers - Robin Guthrie on Mysterious Skin, Peter Gabriel on Last Temptation, Goblin's work on Dario Argento films, Reznor/Ross with Fincher. Cristobal Tapia De Veer is an interesting artist who did the score for Utopia a couple years ago too

Excuse me if it sounds like I am a brown noser but you have a great tast in my opinion. I totally forgot how much I enjoyed the Utopia score. Thanks for that reminder.

I fell like a pleb but Bernard Herrmann as a name was totally not on my radar. Looking through his list of works I know a shit ton of his compositions of course but I wasn't aware that those were all written by this person.

Peter Gabriel is great live. If you ever have the chance to see a live show... go for it!

Honestly I dickride Hermann mainly for the Taxi Driver score. He straight up died right after completing it and it literally sounds like a guy's soul leaving his damn body

Didn't know that. This fact elevates a movie I already loved in a new way.

Sup Forums is only for capeshit and nostalgia whining.

FTFY

The score is really remarkable. I love the movie but it wouldn't be nearly the masterpiece it is without Hermann's work