ASoUE

Well I am pleasantly surprised. I didn't think I would like this more than the movie.

What are your thoughts? How do people who have never read the books or seen the movie feel about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

snicket.wikia.com/wiki/Gustav_Sebald
youtube.com/watch?v=1Nb7VTuGv-Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

JUST

I like how they basically made 4 movies this season. The film basically crammed all three books and tagged the wedding to the end.
I like both but the series is much better.
Just finished the first two episodes.

Please get that shit out of my face and enjoy a show without worrying about racial politics

Just looming away hahahahaha like close the tab jahaha

I wish they got Jon Hamm as the narrator

They more or less did

My appreciation went back and forth. I have a positive overall impression of the series, with the following notes:

- Poe and Josephine were poorly cast. Don't care that they're black, but they don't fit the role, it feels like they constantly had to snap back into the part.
- Violet's acting is kinda poor.
- Lemony Snicket being Brock Samson's voice actor is fucking distracting. Glossing over that, at times he rushes the narration a bit.
- Olaf is a bit too silly at times. He surely isn't 100% grimserious in the books, but I feel like they went a tiny little bit over the line. Also they didn't show that he blew his nose on the curtains during the Reptile Room, HOW MANY ADAPTATIONS DO WE NEED TO HAVE BEFORE I CAN SEE CURTAINS CRUMPLED WITH HARDENED MUCUS?

Bonus fun fact: Olaf spelled backwards is Falò, which means "bonfire" in Italian.

um no

I agree about Josephine but I thought the guy they got to play Poe was fantastic. I actually prefer him over the movie actor.

Every time violet tied her hair back I got a boner

I don't know, he has his moments but it's not really the kind of person I had in mind when I read the books. I pictured him chubbier and clumsy, whereas the TV show he's more weird than anything. Also the constant cough feels kind of tacked on, whereas it should be more integral.
I don't mind his wife, however. Maybe it's because I really can't remember whether she was as prominent in the books or any part with her specifically.

Also, I couldn't take her role seriously when I kept thinking of her as young supergirl.

I prefer movie Olaf, Josephine and Poe. All the other characters are okay with me.

The white faced women are too old though, I thought they were supposed to be in their thirties.

Prefer the look and feeling of Carry, but the show guy is written more closely to the books

I'm enjoying it so far and I liked the books growing up.
Casting isn't great but definitely passable at worst.

Emily Browning as Violet definitely spoiled it for me, I can't like this new one the same

But his character is literally the best of the show.

I don't remember a thing about the movie, but I just let the whole show run while doing other stuff and it was enjoyable.

>Ben Travers of Indiewire gave the series an A-, saying that it "proves as inspirational and endearing as it claims to be forlorn and heartbreaking". He also praised the series in light of the 2016 U.S. presidential election, arguing that it "proves hope can trump hate — at a time we need to hear it as much as our children".

What did he mean by this?

kek. what a fucking cuck.

There is NOTHING political about this show.

Sir and What's His Face are gay married because of Ogeberfell.

reddit: the netflix show
Sup Forums: the 2004 kino

That was like, losely implied once as far as I can tell. I haven't seen the last episode yet

I never read or grew up on the books and never watched the movie
Should I check this out anyways?

I think that Sir should have expelled more smoke while smoking his cigars. In the book his face is literally always covered by a cloud of smoke haha. They didn't have to do that, but atleast the rooms he is in should be really smoky.

i really like the snicket narrator parts

IIRC the intro to that two parter had a pic of his face all clouded

If you have Netflix, or if you mean to download it, sure. Be warned that the first episode isn't exactly stellar.

Is that Tara Strong as the baby?

Its still pretty solid and full of great moments.

You might actually like it more since you have nothing to directly compare it to

I think they handled Snickets monologues perfectly. That and adapting the way the book explains certain words to the reader.

I'd be upset about Josephine being black if she wasn't that crazy nigress from Luke Cage, so she's perfectly cast.

I love that they keep the dedications to Beatrice before each new arc.

And Warburton fucking nails the sadness of his tragic heartbreak.

What was up with the guy getting shot with the poison dart and falling into the pond? Isn't that supposed to be what happens to Dewey in the Penultimate Peril? Why would they randomly add that in?

It's Gustav Sebald, and it's what happens to him.

Can't wait for the hospital arc.

It explains how Monty's assistant was killed by Olaf so he could take his place while making a little nod to the books.

Much like in that scene where Olaf is sipping the coffe ands tells how he forgot where he put the sugar bowl.

Poe is trash, and I'm not sure how I feel about the way they're showing what the baby is saying.

I like how they seem to be following the source material fairly accurate, with the exception of letting the viewers see the parents.

Just finished the second reptile room, if the next episode is trash I'll drop it.

Oh okay. I guess I just don't remember that part in the books.

Actually I don't remember if they say how he dies.

I thought that the Quagmire's parents were the Baudelaire's at first. I was about to be so mad.

>with the exception of letting the viewers see the parents

Without spoiling, don't worry about that. It's not what you think.

I loved that.

>they die a few scenes later

It was awesome

I was thinking that too. In the movie he is tied up to a train, but I don't think they explain it on the books, nor that if he is a VFD member.

they need to stop this, I just want to enjoy a show without being used for some agenda.

It's revealed in the Autobiography that he was a VFD member that Olaf killed, but yeah not how he was killed.

I love that fucker, though I always imagined the Hook Handed Man with a fedora for some reason.

The Man That Looks Unlike a Man or Woman is perfect casting though.

>though I always imagined the Hook Handed Man with a fedora for some reason.

That's how he was drawn in the books

Okay thank god. Don't know why they didn't give him a hat

and why they FUCKED UP SIR WHAT THE FUCK HOW DO YOU FUCK UP SUCH AN EASY DESIGN

Just looked it up. He's the director of the coded movies that Monty goes to watch with the children.

snicket.wikia.com/wiki/Gustav_Sebald

The movie is definitely better. Jim Carrey plays Count Olaf better than NPH who tries too hard to act like JC. the movies' atmosphere, aesthetics and cinematography are superior, the kids are not as irritating and the movie's length is perfect for the books' repetitive plot. Plus you skip all the uncalled for propaganda.

Those 8 episodes are just not worth it.

The book names "Gustav" as his assistant as well.

I guess Handler decided to either combine both characters or they were meant to be the same all along.

They are the same guy, though it is not explicit in the books.

By the way, is the statue woman/Poe's secretary an original character?

>By the way, is the statue woman/Poe's secretary an original character?

Her name is Jacqueline and her initials are J.S.

Best bet is that she is a new version of Jacque that takes over Kit's role.

Yes

Jim Carrey was terrible and I don't know why so many people like his version of Olaf. It was way overdone and silly (not that NPH's version wasn't either) and I found myself cringing every time he did something retarded like act like flailing around like a TREX or making monkey sounds. Carrey wasn't playing Olaf he was playing Jim Carrey.

Which book are you most looking forward to?

Only better things about the movie are Poe and Josephine.

That's it. Lemony is debatable.

Village.

DIE JACQUES DIE

>Carrey wasn't playing Olaf he was playing Jim Carrey.
You can say the same thing when it comes to just about every Jim Carrey role besides Eternal Sunshine and Truman Show.

Carrey looked and sounded the part but didn't play the part.

I think NPH does a better job playing the part, but his slight baby face and higher voice feels nothing like (at least I personally thought) he came off in the book

Also people complaining NPH is too silly clearly doesn't remember the books very well. I didn't finish all the books but I remember Olaf being quite wacky. Nowhere near as much as Carrey was, but enough to dismiss quite a few of the NPH criticisms

Hospital and Slippery Slope are GOAT

Hotel will be interesting to see how they manage

I remember when the movie came out everyone despised it. I'm surprised to see so many people here saying they loved the movie.

Which of the books are you most looking forward to?

yeah, I can agree with that. Sometimes NPH did things that were a bit too wacky, but I would still say it was within the realms of Olafs actual mannerisms. But yes, appearance wise Carrey did look more like Olaf.

Carnival was pretty depressing, I felt really aliviated when Madam Lulu turned out to be a good woman.

he never did the dinosaur thing in the movie.
movie is better
>better cinematography
>better acting
>no SJW shit
>better ending (even though it doesn't adapt to the books')
>sharper humor
>olaf is actually threatening
youtube.com/watch?v=1Nb7VTuGv-Q

Nostalgia goggles. 25 year olds were 13 when the movie came out

I never finished the books. I know they tell you again and again it won't have a happy ending but
did it have a happy ending?

>>better ending

get the fuck out

ersatz elevator and austere academy

>I don't know why so many people like his version of Olaf

Probably because he genuinely looked like he could actually be the characters he was portraying. He did Stephano and Captain Sham better, and as Count Olaf he looked old and creepy.

NPH was just trying to do exactly what JC did, he adds pretty much nothing to the character.

Now, both took the goofiness two far and that pretty much ruined the character

>no SJW shit
hmm?

No.

But it had a "and they lived" ending if you follow the clues

worst two books

poe being black, aunt josephine being black, uncle monty being whatever race that guy is instead of white.

Neither of them came out looking very threatening to me, but especially not Carrey's

NPH is pretty threatening in the show. I agree that it isn't as much as Carrey was (when he wasn't acting like a fucking retard), but the scene in Misserable Mill when we see a blurred Olaf in place of where you expected to see the orphans parents gave me the same intimidation you feel when you see Olaf standing in the doorway in the video you linked

the ending of the vile village is pretty iconinc orphans running away from an angry mob who plans to burn them at the stake - esmé using her harpoon gun to take down hector's floating house, while the Baudelaires desperately try to climb a ladder in what is pretty much a storm of crows can't wait to see it on-screen

also want to see the ersatz elevator, always was one of my favourite books

worst taste. hospital and carnival were the worst.

i am so sick of people like you

Why did that even matter. That literally had no effect on the story line whatsoever. You talk about how triggered those faggy SJWs get over things and yet you people get just as triggered over the dumbest shit.

If you truly are above the SJW bull shit, then why does skin color matter that much to you?

It's completely unrelevant to the story.

Who /grimgrotto/ here

I just finished and enjoyed it.

Some parts felt a little forced, mostly with the kids themselves. Times when they reminding the audience of something that happened 45 seconds ago, shit like that.

Main thing that was really worrying me was the bait and switch with the 'surviving parents'. Big sigh of relief with that reveal.

I enjoyed his performance. Making things about a pet issue will affect my judgement as a person but not of the show.

Can we agree that best characters are:
>"Person Who Looks Like Neither A Man Nor A Woman"
>Sunny
>Olaf

Worst are:
>Josephine
>Violet
>Klaus

Fuck off, I read the Academy in a single day, it was pretty fucking awesome. And the ending's dope.

>skilled the sword fight at the end of the Mill
wow fucking ASShats ruining perfect source material of a baby with razor sharp teeth fighting someone with a sword

why the fuck are sunnys teeth even a fucking thing though like it's so stupid and cringeworthy

So the statue bitch is going to get burned at the stake, right?

> hopital and carnival being the worst
> while austere academy exists

user...

>best
>not hookhanded man

>God forsaken Nickelodeon

What did he mean by this?

Remember the question mark on the submarine radar in the grim grotto? Was it ever explained what the fuck that was?

That is the textbook definition of "spoiling it".

Nah, she's clearly meant to be Kit

>asshats ruining the source material
>the Handler is literally writing the script
W E W

movie: gothic apparel, grim atmosphere, crude jokes. Overall it gives a feel of hopelessness.

Series: basically a Wes Anderson production, quips related to current trends, CGI everywhere.

nah she's gonna get the Jacques Snicket treatment

In the 4-Part Prequel series.

It's a sea monster.

Daniel Handler(The author of the books) is based is as fuck.

At the National Book Awards ceremony in November 2014, Handler made a controversial remark after author Jacqueline Woodson was presented with an award for young people's literature. Woodson, who is black, won the award for Brown Girl Dreaming. During the ceremony, Handler noted that Woodson is allergic to watermelon, a reference to the racist watermelon stereotype. His comments were immediately criticized

He said "“Jackie Woodson is allergic to watermelon. Just let that sink in your minds."

top lel.

its a name for a theater but also references the terrible movie, like a lot of jokes in that episode