The Mars Volta was the last good prog group

The Mars Volta was the last good prog group.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pafNgzGRjFk
youtu.be/BLOKmaFlysM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

this song says otherwise

based

TMV is excellent but you're wrong

While there is nothing bad with his music, I find it boring as fuck. He really just wants to be in the 70s.

The Mars Volta are very unique, something that can't be said about Steven Wilson.

Agreed. The Mars Volta was the last band to do something interesting with Prog. If anyone wants to try to prove me wrong by reccomending some weird ass new prog bands I havent heard of, I welcome it. But from what I've heard as of now, I agree with OP.

>le wrong generation man
>good

It's like he never grew out of his classic rock phase.

He turned a corner on streaming recently, admitting that making playlists is a good feature.

It is funny because his attitude towards new things does show his age. Just listen to any of his interviews about the walking simulator indie game that uses his music.

What they did with blending latin music into their sound is enough to cement their legacy as one of the great prog groups.

It's a shame that they fizzled out in the end and were never able to re-create the insanity of the first three albums but I guess quitting drugs will do that to you.

most pretentious fucking album ever

Fuck off pitchfork

>4 minute listenable riff
>followed by ambiance that goes on for 12 minutes
>but they split 6 minutes into the end of track 3 and 6 minutes at the beginning of track 4 so your fucking sitting in your car listening ot bullshit for almost half an hour no mater what
>skip to next track, still several minutes of bullshit before a song stars
>realize even if u autistically edit the mp3 files down to just songs its just 2-3 that are actually good cause most of them also throw in cringe af off-tune riffs or solos

>calling voice modulation autotune
Also, the ambient sections are only 2 min at the end of the Widow and 4 minutes at the beginning of Miranda. Cassandra Gemini is 32 whole minutes of uninterrupted track on top of it all.

kys

i just started this bullshit again for the first time since this album first came out back in 2005 now on spotify

first track is 13 fucking minutes long, 6 tracks total

ill post the bullshit

SW is excellent but you're wrong

>first track is 13 fucking minutes long

How horrifying, my condolences for your family.

OKAY RIGHT BEFORE WE HIT 4 MINUTES THE SONG FADS INTO AN ANNOYING AS FUCK MIXTURE OF SOUNDS

then its just some fucking goove with annoying guitar picking that sounds cringy as fuck if your sitting at a fucking red light then by 8 minute mark its another shitty solo of notes being hit then something resembling an actual song starts after 5 minutes of bullshit which lasts for about 1 minute, then it slowly fads into th ebullshit at the 9:30 MARK until 13 fucking minute mark

very next track, only 5 minutes long

its some emo bullshit that goes on for 3 minutes before again fading into bullshit for another 2 minutes

>MIXTURE OF SOUNDS
yeah that's called music

Dude just listen to deloused or noctourniquet. you dont have to like every track

NOW WERE AT TRACK 3

ANOTHER 13 FUCKING MINUTE TRACK

A BUNCH OF BULLSHIT NIGGER BEATS AT THE BEGINING LEADING INTO THE ONLY SINGLE THAT WAS EDITED OUT OF THIS BULLSHIT INTO A 3-4 MIN SONG AND FEATURED A SOLO BY SOMEONE NOT EVEN IN THE BAND

45 SECONDS IN THE SONG STARS AND RESEMBLES A FUCKING SONG BUT ITS SUNG IN SPICK

BY THE 5:30 MARK WE GET A FUCKING OTHER CRINGE AS FUCK SOLO THAT MAKES CULT OF PERSONALITY'S SEEM COMPETENT

BY THE 7TH MIN MARK ITS NOW A SHITTY REVERB ON SPICK WORDS WHICH CONTINUES ON UNTIL 13 FUCKING MINUTES WITH CRICKETS AN SHIT

>he can't into ambient
also
>hating the groove at the end of Cygnus
inexcusable, I'm glad it shows up again later just to spite you and your shit taste.

TRACK 4 YET ANOTHER 13 FUCKING MINUTE TRACK

NOT ONE FUCKING GOD DAMN SONG WITHIN ANY OF IT, NOTHING REDEMABLE

ON TO TRACK 5 WHICH IS ALSO FUCKING 14 FUCKING MINUTES LONG

Robert Wyatt

You aren't even listening you faggot, stop lying. There is no way you listened to a 12 minute song in 1 minute

>listening to a 13 minute track in one minute
you almost got me

OH NO MYBAD TRACK 5 IS FUCKING 32 MINUTES LONG

STARTS OFF WITH JUST A BULLSHIT JAM BAND SESSION THAT MAKES PHISH SEEM LIKE THE WRECKING CREW

just skipped to the end NOTHING LISTENIABLE NOTHING MEMORABLE

COMPARED TO A RUSH, OR DREAM THEATER TRACK AT THESE LENGTHS ITS SHIT

i fucking skippe dthru the bullshit

its not hard to realize general song structures would have a recognisable riff that plays for at least 1-2 minutes in a row, when all u still hear is bullshit and cringeness u keep skipping ahead

>judging a 76 minute prog album filled with build-ups and interludes by skipping through tracks for 10 minutes
I hope for your sake that this is b8

You stupid fuck, these songs change many times over their length. what you hear at the beginning and end doesn't represent the middle
Ex: youtu.be/pafNgzGRjFk

YEAH BRO LISTENING TO FUCKING GENERIC STREET TRAFFIC AMBIANCE AT NIGHT IS REALLY WHAT HELPS ME APPRECIATE THE 1 FUCKING 3-4 MINUTE SONG THEY COBBLED OUT OF THIS PRETENTIOUS PILE OF SHIT AND EDITED IT DOWN INTO A MUSIC VIDEO

NOTICE HOW EVEN IN THE FUCKING SINGLE/VIDEO THEY EDITED OUT THE BULLSHIT

JUST LIKE HOW RADIO EDITED OUT THE FUCKING 2-3 MINUTES OF CRINGY MOANING IN WHOLE LOTTA LOVE

EXCEPT THIS ENTIRE FUCKING ALBUM IS FILLED WITH THAT ANNOYING 2 MINUTE MOANING BULLSHIT AND TRIANGLE SOLO

>the radio edit shortens a song for play out of context
WOOOOOW WHO COULDVE FUCKING GUESSED

THAT ISNT THE FUCKING ALBUM LISTED IN OP

THATS THEIR FUCKING "COMMERCIAL BREAK OUT" ALBUM THATS THE ONE I FUCKING BOUGHT BASED ON THE SINGLE/MUSIC VID RELEASED THINKING IT WAS GOING TO BE MULTIPLE TRACKS OF MUSIC, NOT BULLSHIT

VOODOO CHILD WAS REALLY COOL BRO, BUT WHAT IF INSTEAD WE DID AN ENTIRE ALBUM OFF VOODOO CHILE. YEAH THE 15 MINUTE PRETENTIOUS HENDRIX SONG?

YEAH BRO ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER ANNOYING AF BULLSHIT HE HAD AT THE END OF MOST SONGS ON ELETRIC LADY LAND

YEAH TOTALLY BRO, BUT MAKE SURE TO NOT ACTUALLY COBBLE TOGETHER LIKE 15-20 ACTUAL FUCKING SONGS WITHIN IT THAT CAN BE PLAYED FOR DECADES, NO JUST TAKE ALL THE BULLSHIT OF ELECTRIC LADY LAND, REVOLUTION 9 OF THE BEATLES, SOME CRINGY ASS SHIT THE DOORS USED TO DO AS WELL WHEN THEY JUST STOP THE MUSIC ENTIRELY FOR MINUTES AT A TIME ON A RECORD

ALL THAT SHIT BRO, WE'RE TOTALLY GONNA BLOW PPLS MINDS MAN

MOST PPL JUST WONT "GET IT"

you seem upset

Imagine being this fucking dense

this is the worst series of posts I've ever seen in this board
gb2 reddit plen

upset that i remember the cringyness i felt on the summer afternoon when i drove to the local CD join, purchased this album, then on the drive home had to roll up my windows cause of the audble bullshit coming out of my speakers as i skipped thru it and realized there was nothing redeeming about it i thru in some other cd so i could roll my windows back down

I apologize that you cannot appreciate anything unorthodox. Breaking conventions creates some real interesting stuff that wouldn't be possible if musicians all followed traditional structure and theory.

youtu.be/BLOKmaFlysM

That being said, you are treating this album like a pop record with individual, isolated tracks, and not an entire 1 hour experience like it was intended to be.

they're a pretentious fucking band, thats why they never amounted to shit

tons of metal bands have created 10+ minute long tracks that fucking tell a story better

>not asserting your dominance as a patrician and blaring your abstract art/prog rock for all to hear

can we stop feeding the troll and start discussing modern prog again
pic related is a pretty nice prog album from 2001, if not a bit cheesy at times

Give me an example of something then

99% of dream theaters catalog

>TMV
fucking trash tbqh senpai

I thought this from 2015 was pretty fucking great. Good meld of prog and death metal elements

Go have shit taste elsewhere

haken exists
leprous exists

I don't understand how anyone could call the Mars Volta pretentious. Their music is extremely simple and not hard to understand. It's disjointed at times but they take the same approach to structure as any musician would see dissonance and consonance. I used to get bored by the ambient sections too until I realized their purpose. The ambience sets the stage for the surrounding sections and serves as a great point of transition. These structural decisions help depict the image at hand. With deloused I feel like I'm in the head of a schizophrenic going though various psychotic episodes. With Frances the Mute I feel like I'm constantly transported through different points in time and space (as in past to present or different camera angles). It isn't pretentious at all, their art is very genuine and follows a very standard conventions although it mixes a plentitude of unrelated conventions into a strange mix.
That being said, Omar Rodriguez Lopez as a person definitely comes off as a pretentious douche to me, but the art has never seemed anything but genuine to me.

my man

You hype for Automata I?
I'm gonna go see the with dear hunter in a few weeks

People always post Frances but I think their entire discography is great, Bedlam is my fav.. I think they are going to make a comeback.

Did you listen to the leak of the new album yet user? It's good shit

That's the only album he made i like.

>t. never listened to Wobbler

Mastodon!

If I say King Gizzard will I die?