twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're SUCH a pleb.

you're such a pleb

miles was a qt

>jazz track starts out OK
>cue 5 minute earraping brass solo
every fucking time

youtube.com/watch?v=kCpZqdtmcR8

Imagine having such a short attention span and such bad pattern recognition skills that you can't follow a jazz solo.

Rhapsody in Blue sucks.

defend

Only Jazz track that I've actually enjoyed was Sun Ra - Images (Space is the Place version)
Jazz just sounds all the same to me. Great as background music, but for a dedicated listen it's just boring as fuck

Maybe try starting out with some jazz with no brass until you get a feel for how jazz solos work you absolute fuckface

But without lyrics telling me explicitly how I should feel I can't extrapolate any emotion from music!

Who says you need lyrics?
I get more emotion from listening to some ambient drone or IDM track than I get from listening to shit like Coltrane or Davis.

Don't worry, you'll grow out of it.

try this
it wont disappoint

But drone and idm are mood/atmosphere based rather than being explicitly expressive like jazz is.

Try expressing your own emotion through improvising on an instrument. Then try doing it to some kind of strict rhythm. Then try doing it to some kind of strict rhythm and strict harmonic restraints.

>Replying like this to an obviously sarcastic post
shiggy

I have the exact same problem being unable to get jazz. I have a small collection of albums ranging from Duke Ellington to Esbjorn Svenson Trio, maybe 40 in total, and having listened to it all I am not hooked up. Maybe it's because I dislike the sound of sax? Can't say for sure, but each time I listen to jazz I quickly switch back to classical, where I can listen to anything from Hildegard von Bingen to Gyorgy Kurtag and enjoy it. With jazz, not so much. How do I break through, anons?

Can't follow improvisation probably
see

Seeing how I can play a few instruments I cannot really know what it's like for the non-musical to listen to jazz.
Improvising is hella fucking cozy, and listening to musical geniuses do it is actually even more cozy.

What do you hear when you listen to jazz? What are you trying to hear? What do you enjoy about music you love?

Yeah but you didn't always play those instruments, did you? I didn't start playing music til I was about 16 and that's when jazz really clicked. But I can remember before that when jazz just sounded like random noodling to me too so I can sympathize with people who are still in that stage.

I feel ya, I was a piano babby tho, so I kinda always played an instrument :^)

People who cannot into jazz but want to give it another try should start with The Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out.
The songs are a bit more structured and less noodley. The more rigorously composed piano bits and clearly defined themes keep the songs more on track.

not the biggest jazz fan ever either but coltrane's solo in that track is sublime

>Jazz just sounds all the same to me. Great as background music, but for a dedicated listen it's just boring as fuck
You've got it backwards though. Once you wisen up a little bit you'll realize that everything else is only good as background music and that jazz and classical are pretty much the only things really worth actively listening to.

youtube.com/watch?v=QUMuDWDVd20

Never thought of it that way before. I'd say it's possible to to get immersed in most music. But with jazz if you aren't paying attention to each note and actively paying attention it will just sound like note salad. With most other music you can easily extrapolate all the melodies a few bars in (or worse yet the same few bars repeat for the whole song). In other popular music the only jazzy thing that happens are key changes.

I'm listening to Pete Fountain right now, what are my fellow pretentious jazz frens listening to?
>TFW there are people who can't into this

>Pete Fountain
tyshaun sorey newest album versimilitude. dude is a geinous

Try this, user
youtube.com/watch?v=yVXGPtrfTok

jazz is literally the greatest art form guys

start here normie