If U2 is so popular, how come nobody's been influenced by them?

If U2 is so popular, how come nobody's been influenced by them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=657TZDHZqj4
youtube.com/watch?v=Gvtd7ZXQHMA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because they're hacks and frauds

ian curtis was

U2 and REM are two bands which I don't understand the popularity of at all.

>If U2 is so popular, how come nobody's been influenced by them?
Radiohead

Most popular and/or critically acclaimed artists (particularly rock bands) of the past 25 years are indebted to and influenced by them in some way:
>Radiohead
>Arcade Fire
>Muse
>The Killers
>30 Seconds to Mars
>Kings of Leon
>Coldplay
>Mumford and Sons
>Imagine Dragons (kind of)
>Kanye West (Graduation)
>OneRepublic
>Snow Patrol
>Oasis
>Walk the Moon
>Linkin Park (Minutes to Midnight)
>Green Day (arena rock stuff post-2000)
>Broken Social Scene
>some Taylor Swift stuff
>James Mercer/The Shins
>Creed
>Garbage
>Depeche Mode in the 90s were big fans of U2 and both bands influenced each other
>Pearl Jam (kind of, but it's there- U2 + Springsteen gone grunge, imo)
>The Walkmen, Interpol and other post-punk revival bands are in part indebted to early U2 among other 80s post-punk acts
>both Father John Misty and Mac Demarco have covered U2's "Beautiful Day" recently
>Jack White/The White Stripes ("Achtung Baby" was his first favorite album and he covered one of the songs off of it for the "Great Gatsby" soundtrack)
>Trent Reznor was/is apparently a big fan and NIN covered and has remixed their songs before

so u2 is responsible for all the worst music of the past 25 years

They make for great podcasts though

true

Yes

Nah, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are geat. Oasis, older Green Day and older Pearl Jam are fine.

Which albums have you listened to? Both of the bands early albums are also their best. Boy and Murmur are great albums and I don't see how anyone couldn't like them except if they didn't like music.

It also bears asking who was U2 influenced by? As best I can tell it, their vocal style & phrasing is very much like late 70s/early 80s new wave one-hit wonders like Men Without Hats, Falco, etc. But, they took that and removed the pop-euro-dance element out of it and put a more straight rock arrangement around it. Add to that a sort of airy, dreamy production, and you have U2 in a nutshell.

As far as who they influenced, I can say with certainty that at least on the East Coast of the USA, they influenced countless local club bands. Obviously, very few of these managed to rise above the fray.

As for the anti REM comments, they did have a very original lead vocalist. That, and an updated Byrds approach to their sound doesn't sound like the worst thing to come out of the 80s to me. They were a great band, at least through the Green album.

College rock of the 80's, really played amongst college students and people in their late teens. It helps they were good then.

I'd say their influences lie in the same influence as most of the post-punk bands of England and Scotland and Ireland, they were part of the same scebe

Their career path certainly influenced Maroon 5, I can say that for sure.

Siouxsie and The Banshees

No

Why not?

>who was U2 influenced by?
Big Country
youtube.com/watch?v=657TZDHZqj4

pay you fuckin taxes... nein!

U2 already had several albums out by the time Big Country formed though.
I always thought In A Big Country and this were fantastic songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gvtd7ZXQHMA

no