/lang/ - Language Learning

The Polyglot Edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

first for stop posting shitty memes

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Buenos días /lang/!

>esperanto
>chad

>tfw actually named chad
>robot
>languagelet
life plays some cruel jokes

Me ha dicho is "he told me"
Me han dicho is "I've been told" but it implies that multiple people (ustedes) told me, right?

I'm kinda getting it better this morning (I think), thanks to you all helping. :o)

Missing a few images, OP

>a few

Buenos días mi amigo americano

A fuckton and I'm on mobile right now so this might take awhile.

But I think I saved them all last time so hopefully I don't miss any.

just make an imgur album since this pozzed-up cuckchan doesn't allow more than one image per post

Not a bad idea. I think I'm almost done with these for now but I'll get an album together after

Stupid question, but, what happens when they get updated/added to? Just make a new album?

I'm pretty sure you can edit everything if you make it while logged in. Just don't click "share to community"

Hm that's true. I think you might be able to edit an album if it's private but I'm not sure.

Last one I think. Hope I didn't forget anything.

Worst comes to worst can make a new album when one gets too outdated. Not like it takes very long anyways if you already have the images, then just paste a new one in the OP

>The Polyglot
>Paul and Moses' lovechild

I can't make up my mind on what language I want to learn.

On one hand, I'd like to know Spanish because it's useful, but I really dislike the way it looks and sounds, and I don't like any of the cultures surrounding it.

On the other hand, Iran really interests me. The history and culture are fascinating, and the language sounds beautiful to me.

Yeah. Remember that the plural for verbs in the 2nd and 3rd person have the same conjugation, so "Me han dicho" can refer to either ustedes or ellos

Native French and English speaker btw so Spanish would be pretty easy for me, vocabulary-wise. I also live in Louisiana and we got lots of Mexicans here so I'd have lots of people to speak with.

Although most of the times when we refer to the 2nd person in plural we will include the ustedes: Ustedes me han dicho. So the "Me han dicho" would normally imply the third person: Ellos

How do I find motivation to learn a language instead of shitposting on 4bong?

Thank you. Another thing I saw was adding "a ellos" or "a ustedes" after to clarify. Something like "Me han dicho a ellos" or "Me han dicho a ustedes" Is that correct also?

Stick with very slow boards and threads, keep only a few going. I just try to limit the breadth of my shitposting.

No, if you want to specify then add it before
Ellos me han dicho/Ustedes me han dicho

Thanks. What about something like "Lo ha dicho a él"/He told him" where I'm not sure if it's him, her or it?

A'ight will try and do that bud.

Esperanto is the Chad conlang
Lojban is the virgin conlang

Where is spanish language learning picture?

here
and

>tfw actually named chad
kek SUP CHADWICK

Thank you friend.

cajun != french

>On the other hand, Iran really interests me. The history and culture are fascinating, and the language sounds beautiful to me.

If you are interested in history Persian is crazy good. It's been used as the literary language throughout the muslim world and on top of that (apparently) you can understand the written language going back 1000+ years which is insane.

How similar is creole to french?

we need more /farsiboys/ in this thread desu. I have to disagree with you about spanish though, it's the first language I learned and it's one of the best sounding languages out there.

My goal is to be able to read the Shahnameh in the next year.

Yeah I like the sound of spanish also. I think the culture part he has something on though, I mean the options are you go to Spain which hates tourists and has actual protests not wanting them, or you go south of America and get killed or kidnapped.

which creole? creole isn't a single language

Do any of you know any resources for serbo-croatian and/or slovenian?

Assuming you're talking about Haitian creole, it really depends. Sometimes it's almost identical to French if you cherrypick the right dialects and sentences, other times it's not even slightly mutually intelligible.

french creole from the antilles and guyane is like autistic, simplified french. A bit hard to understand sometimes

Outside of the Mediterranean coast of Spain you're fine, and even in those areas if you're respectful and not a brit. Latin America is safe if you're not stupid and don't put yourself in dangerous situations.

Not that user, but, I wanted to go to Spain recently and decided against it. They don't seem to want tourists.

It's amazing a country with nearly 20% unemployment, and nearly 50% unemployment in the youth - doesn't want tourism money. I live in a tourist spot so I understand the pain of it though. I understand how expensive it makes things, how crazy housing gets, the traffic, but overall my city depends on it so I put up with it. I guess they've just had enough.

Yesterday I tried to write a paragraph in German, I know it's autistic retard Pepe tier but please let me know if I made mistakes and correct if needed

Am Dienstag, um Zwei Uhr, Jack hat ein Auto Unfall auf den Autobahn. Er fühlt sehr schlecht.

Er fahrt im ein Ambulanz zu den Krankenhaus. Im die Krankenhaus er geht zu den Notaufnahme. Dort, der Artzt hilft ihm.

Jetzt, eine Woche später, Jack fülht besser und besser.

Any big studying plans for the weekend, /lang/?

My plan is 2 Pimsleur German lessons, an hour or so on Duolingo, and to try and watch some tv/movies in German to work on listening and getting a feel for how it sounds.

I also have the German For Dummies book and I want to read the grammar sections. Anyone have recommendations on a good German grammar text to work from?

Self-study is difficult.

2 Pimsleur lessons and 1 hr Duolingo a day, I meant. Not sleeping on a good schedule keeps catching up with me...

Going out of town for a concert this weekend so I'm trying to put together some study material to take with me

I guess I should answer also:
Nothing to do this weekend, housework is pretty much caught up so...
-The rest of Michel Thomas Spanish Foundation (5 hours left, so, 2.5 hours per day of that).
-Pimsleur Saturday, Pimsleur Sunday. Add associated flashcards.
-Daily Duolingo.
-Usual Quizlet Long Term Learning sessions.

So a Pimsleur on Saturday and another on Sunday, plus an hour of Duolingo each day? I get tempted to do a bunch of Duolingo but I feel like I could complete it and learn nothing if I'm not careful to internalize each piece.

I'm sorry I don't know any German resources.

Nice. Driving or flying? Both have lots of study time potential.

Driving but I'll be the one driving the whole way and I'll have passengers. Can't really do much with audio because of that so I'll just have to cram in some book study before or after I drive.

Oh yeah I forgot some people have friends.

Chin up, you'll have friends one day!

Which should I learn, French or Japanese? On a side note, I'm very much interested in Japan and everything connected with it, but when it comes to literature, French seems to stand out as a more reasonable choice.

French would probably be easier and possibly more useful in life.
But if you're more passionate about Japanese then learn it. Passion is probably the must useful thing to have when learning a language

Uzbek
Mari
Farsi

>leddit meems

>He doesn't go on r/languagelearning

>chicken soup

Depends on how much you want to be spoonfed.

None of those sentences save the last require commas. Unlike English, the rules for comma placement in German are rigid and clearly defined so they have to be learned formally. A misplaced German comma is an error.

Most (though not all) of your articles are random. Check every word in a dictionary and see how they are really used. If there is a preposition like "in" or "zu", look at which case it governs. Prepositions always take a certain case regardless of whether the case appears to have any semantic significance. "In" is somewhat of an exception though as it governs two different cases, but you can make sense of that.

German employs a word order in which the verb can only be first, second or last in a sentence. In most of your sentences the verb comes third, which is one hundred percent wrong. It cannot come third.

Fühlen implies feeling something in particular. If there's nothing in particular that is being felt and only the way of feeling is described (ill, well), then you use the reflexive particle "sich" (look up how it changes for person). In archaic English you would say "I feel me well" for "Ich fühle mich gut", where "me" is the reflexive particle, but not anymore.

>he doesn't go on every major language learning forum on the internet
>he doesn't know hundreds of different resources and opinions on various languages and their uses
>he doesn't have 6 billion bookmarks full of random obscure trivia about different language
>he hasn't spent more time learning how to learn languages than he has learning languages
BTW the ultimate meme "gem" underrated language is Farsi.

How did you know I was Farsi user?
Also since when is Farsi a meme?

Not a native and fairly low level but

>zu den Krankenhaus. Im die Krankenhaus
>Den / die

Ist ist das Krankenhaus? Also Lack of cohérence

You literly just start open up duolingo or something and just start

what language should I learn that doesn't feel like a waste of time?
can kind of read some Russian, but it was a rando bit of studying because it felt easier.

I'm going to move to the UK in a month or so, so that's also making me less interested in learning anything, since I already know English.

But it's Glasgow, so heavy accented English with lots of ""Scots"" words.

IIRC brits learn some French as a foreign language in school?

hello, /lang/ I'm new here. I m already fluennt in english without a hazzle.

I'm learning German, I took two semesters at college, to the point where I can now learn by myself.

What do you recommend to bet better at it? what are the most effective methods? can anyone recommend some good TV series or movies to watch in german with english or spanish subtitles? thanks in advance.

Just going through new penguin russian course. Sounding like a Ruski is hard af. I wonder if my half brit tongue can even move like that. Rolling 'p' is impossible thus far.

spanish is cool because you can communicate fully with just the basics.with baby speach you can cover 90% of the conversations. (just use infinitive and ignore all the conjugations)

kek

I recently got this book, is it hard? What are your experiences with using it, and what other resources help with Russian?

Thank you!

It's hard but that's the reality of learning Russian. It's a very good book. For other resources I would supplement it with voice lessons to ensure your pronunciations are correct. That's the hardest part for me so far. I've been using Google to play individual words aloud, I haven't been able to find a better tool yet. I try to spend more time studying than researching so I don't fall for the researching meme.

Is Thai, Vietnamese, Hindi, Polish, or Nepali worth learning?
I'm starting to lose motivation in the language I'm learning because of the fact that I'm more than likely to never use it and want to learn something practical to compensate.
Or should I try learning Mandarin again?

Stick with the one you're learning, if you give up so easily, where's the guarantee that you'll learn another one?

The only truly worthwhile asian language is Japanese.

Do what you like and are passionate about, not what may be useful.

Why watch in spanish subtitles? You're supposed to build off of your second language onto your third. Also watch Downfall, there's english subs for it and its easily found online.

My second language is almost as good as my first. I have no need to ge better at english. Is there an actaul benefit to build from your second to your third? Or just to practice both at the same time?

Not to shit on your accomplishments but you are making a whole lot of typos.

keep going m8, we got your back

dumb phoneposting

How long have you been learning for now?

The problem with Iran is that unless the situation between your countries improves well, traveling there will always be annoying at the very least too. (Unless you've got a dual citizenship with something not-US/CAN/UK)

A little more than a week, I'm gonna start a Persian course in the spring semester.

>"tá olhando o que, branquelo?"

Really wish there was such a thing as being done with Japanese so that I could move onto the next language.

>your mother didn't teach you your mother tongue while you were still young
feels bad man

why would you want to know spanish?

Maybe he's a native American or one of those left over Frenchies

I'm japanese, I only recognize a handful of phrases

your mother did good 2bh

if you knew japanese you could be drawn to weeb degeneracy and be lost forever

oh, i'm the language learner, i have more than 300 gb of resources(i barely used any of them), my parents speaks 3 language each one (i recently learn english(b2)), created a language in my youth(never used it), i learned the ipa alphabet (but i cant pronounced it), too shy to speak any language with anyone, etc
>why op, why you do this to me!

You cant realy be ever done with any language since you are always loosing knowlage.Also why even learn japanese if you arent even in Japan