ASoUE general

Dear Readers,

I'm sorry to inform you that this post contains a very frightful disappointment. Season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events will begin filming rather quickly, a word which here means, "before Klaus's actor grows too tall." If you brave the next installment of this sad, woeful tale, you will encounter an out-of-tune despot, an out-of-touch husband, a dark shaft (outside of the series's diversity quota), and a prison sentence, though not for whom you'd hope.

If any of the above seems remotely saddening, I implore you to explore the Great Outdoors™, an invention of the previous generation which allows the user to avoid any more misfortune, something the Baudelaires could only wish for.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Series_of_Unfortunate_Events_(TV_series)#Development
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

lemonyposting?

I never read this series. Would I like it if im over all the Harry Potter "hype"?

>"And this one is lemony!"
>"I told you never to say that word!"

What's been your favorite lore so far and why is it the Snicket references?

Monty and Josephine are really distant relatives, they say so in the show. It's not unheard of to have different races in distant branches of a family tree. My great grandpa was Chinese, but I don't look Asian at all.

In the Wide Window there's a moment when Sham is fighting a volunteer and says something to the effect "Snicket is dead?!" in response to a comment of, "Our highest ranking member is now presumably dead."

Anyone remember the line? I thought it was great.

>Land ho!
>I told you not to call me that.

>"Though I can't seem to find any sugar bowl."

Count Olaf on having coffee in the morning.

Carrey's Stefano > NPH's Stefano

I have to agree on that one. Although NPH's Olaf is written to be funnier, the Carrey Stefano was somehow still funnier.

please post Klaus

can someone tell me why I am supposed to be enjoying this, watched tthe first two episodes and it was just dry dark humor of bad shit happening to the kids until the end when they come out on top

feels like I am watching a show for 7 year olds that tries to aim for adults as well

shit is really cringey, should I drop it if I dont like it so far or does it get better

>kids come out on top
lol

Is season 2 really confirmed? A+ Snicketposting

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Series_of_Unfortunate_Events_(TV_series)#Development

> In January 2017, Handler revealed the series had been renewed for a second season, which he had begun work on, to consist of 10 episodes, adapting the fifth through ninth books of the series. A third season would adapt the remaining books of the series, which Handler hoped "to get the go-ahead to do" since "given how quickly young actors age and change, we’re trying to film everything as quickly as possible."

We know that Season 2 has already been in the works for a while(I believe sometime in Oct/Nov there were some tweets indicating they'd began initial work on writing Season 2) but this is the official renewal

>Season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events will begin filming rather quickly, a word which here means, "before Klaus's actor grows too tall."

Too late for that. Klaus already towers over Violet.

Finished the first season. Are the books worth reading?

S1 was pretty cool (im a cynic who hates pleasant things and i still liked it) gief more

ever seen a tom cruise movie ?

oh hes not as cute outside the show. :(

yes they're much better. even as an adult, they're witty and well written. ASOUE and the bartimaeus trilogy are probably the only YA books worth a damn.

So as someone who barely remembers the movie and never read the books as a kid.

What's the deal with the parents?

Were we just being trolled and they're not actually the baudelaires parents?

Violet needs to step up her acting on seaso n2.

how dumb are you

they revealed in episode 7 that theyre not the baudelaire parents

Ye

Yes, the books are amazing. I still like them even as an adult, and even if the plot is a little shallow. They are children's books after all. But they teach the valuable lesson about how good and evil are not always so clearly separated, and the world is full of complicated connections.

Are babies heavy? Would a 14 year old girl's arms become tired rather quickly?

violet fucking sucks. some of the worst acting ive ever seen. they clearly hired her because she looks like emily browning.

Started reading this again

so much lore

I legitimately thought that they had a secret family at first. So pretty dumb I guess.

>kids come out on top
Stopping after two episodes of course would lead to such a retarded conclusion

I can see the cringeyness if one hadn't read the books as a kid. But I can tell you as a huge book fan that I never thought much of the first four books (Season 1) when reading.

The true lore beings with the fifth book, so next season should actually be good for non-readers. Though I think Handler was careful to write the show so that the future lore is much more greatly foreshadowed now.

Neat, I'll give it a try. Thanks anons.

Your library should have them, and they're so easy to read you can literally get through 2 or 3 a day.

>Unauthorized Autobiography

>Charles: I know Sir can be... uh, prickly...

If the left wants to survive with their diversicast, they need to keep the humor like this. I love the hench-thing that looks neither like a man nor a woman.

Have they fugg?

Was Olaf x Orwell canon? Or is this new in the show?

The hench people are some of the best parts of the show so I cant wait until later seasons to see what they do with the man with a beard but no hair and the woman with hair but no beard

Wouldn't that just be a bald guy with a beard and a generic woman?

You mean the circus recruits?

True but in the books they were the only people that count olaf was terrified of and refused to speak their names

was it actually good?

did the whole series come out at once like other netflix shows?

>it's a series where the most rewarding installment isn't even under the umbrella of the primary narrative

New to the show, but very well done.

Worst thing about it was the group singalong at the very end.

Oh yeah, I forgot about them completely. I forget how their plot arc ended. Can't wait to relive those memories like watching a terrible springtime recital.

That was amazing.

They did Books 1-4 in one season, with presumably more to come in a year or so.

It was highly rated all around, but if you aren't a nostalgiafag keep in mind it's based on children's books, so don't expect anything deeper than a bit of humor and some lore.

no it wasnt

>haven't you children learned anything this year? ..... week? ........season?

But it was. If I enjoyed it, but you didn't, I just have one more thing that makes me happy than you do.

literally finished the season five minutes ago
in my opinion, it's not as good as the movie
but if you watch it and understand that they tried their damnedest to do everything the opposite of the film without being it

it's still bad but it's enjoyable enough that i want a season 2

>thinking the series is as bad as that awful movie

The way the series saved Lemony is enough to praise its success.

the tv violet is hot af but can't act for shit
she's just smiking all the time
jesus she's bad
would facerape her though

>would facerape her though

Preferably while she's wearing that school uniform

Netflix employee here, here's the schedule for the next seasons. Due to the size of the last few books and time constraints with child actors, the next seasons will be fairly different in episodic structure.

Season 2: Austere Academy, Ersatz Elevator, Vile Village

Season 3: Hostile Hospital, Carnivorous Carnival, Slippery Slope

Season 4: Grim Grotto, Penultimate Peril, THE END

-
Season 2 will be shorter at 6 episodes, but produced more quickly and be out sooner to catch more hype. It will end on Vile Village, a natural cliff hanger as the children are officially fugitives at the end. (Late 2017)

Season 3 will be 7 episodes, but due to the nature of the production costs of the associated stories rather than time factors. It will end with the Slippery Slope at 3 episodes, a cliff hanger of the Quagmire's being separated from the orphans.(2018)

Season 4 will be 9 episodes, each story having 3 episodes each due to the size of the books. Production costs will primarily cover the Grim Grotto's water scenes and The End's island scenes, with Penultimate Peril being very low cost due to the nature of the book's setting. This will also capitalize on the book series having its 20th anniversary (2019)

Fake as fuck. Handler already said it'd be 3 seasons, and next season would be 10 episodes. Fuck outta here.

It's never actually verified in the books what the sugar bowl is, right? I wonder if they will keep it ambiguous in the tv series or if they will associate a concrete object with it for the kiddos.

Honestly NPH's Olaf seems to be way more of a dick than Carrey's, which imo is better. I always remember Olaf as a dick with a very dry personality. That's not to say I didn't enjoy Carrey's Olaf, it was great.

Right off the fucking bat you're a liar.
Stranger Things got higher ratings than both GoT and TWD combined and it took them a month to decide whether or not to renew it.

You're full of shit if you think all the seasons have been planned out.

Never verified in the books but handler says a few fans have guessed correctly over the years its contents

Can anyone explain why the baby was CG randomly throughout the show?
It'd be so fucking jarring that it would distract me from the actual scene.

>not lemonyposting it

You had one job, an expression which here means "You fucked it up badly."

>an expression which here means
You had one job- a phrase which here means, "You fucked it up badly."

What are some options? I've heard
>actual sugar
>horseradish/wasabi
>medusoid mycellium
>evidence of Olaf's crimes

Thanks Aunt Josephine.

Either that, or she has that dazed-but-distressed look, like she's somewhere between a catatonic stupor and being on the verge of tears. I think that might just be her resting facial expression though, since she does it all the time in Supergirl too.

Still, would totally consider prison for that.

Well, this sounds familiar...

We know what one job means.

You missed a comma, user.
What you should have said was, "Thanks, Aunt Josephine."

Wow. At least try harder

why was the best part of the show the one that wasn't in the movie with the mill

I don't think it could be something as simple as horseradish or sugar. It's suggested that the sugar bowl is something that cleared Lemony Snicket's name of being suspected of crimes that Olaf has commuted. I honestly have no idea what it could possibly be. Perhaps pictures of Olaf committing crimes?

The series is overall better than the movie, but the movie has its own charm points and did a few things better than the series did, as well as more than a few things that the series took cues from. However, the much better writing in the series takes the cake.

The movie's Josephine was irreplaceable and no one could have followed her. Billy Connolly placed a wonderfully warm Uncle Monty anyone would want to be raised by, and while the series's Monty was played a bit differently, he proved roughly an equal in the end. Poe in the movie is more like what you'd expect from reading the books, but series Poe is just much more entertaining. I'll always hear Jude Law when I read Snicket, but Warburton is a surprisingly perfect choice for this more Ron Serling-esque take on the character.

I don't really have an opinion on the young actors but I don't expect much from them, I'm here for Olaf. NPH is ultimately the better, but Jim Carrey's performance was unforgettable. His Stefano was much more menacing, and his Captain Sham was livelier and felt more like a comical exaggeration of a sea captain. He and NPH are both a little too comical in the role, and in similar ways, but NPH has a better script that, again, decides the victor.

Jacquelyn is a knockout.

I'm getting excited already thinking about the search for that vessel for saccharides. It's my favorite arc, thinking of the series as:

>1-4: The Olaf Arc
>5-7: The Quagmire Arc
>8-10: The Fugitive Arc
>11-12: The Sugar Bowl Arc
>13: The End

Which is your favorite?

What did Netflix mean by this?

Oh yes, I forgot about that. It seems reasonable, as Lemony was always implied to be one of the strongest volunteers notwithstanding the false charges.

Or perhaps the charges were true and the world is not so clear cut, but the sugar bowl would exonerate him.

I agree that Josephine was the weakest choice of the series so far, though the Real Estate line in Curdled Cave still got me. The movie Josephine was A+.

Olaf arc, but it's hard to choose beyond that.

I really didn't like The End. The setting was too different, and I didn't much care for the locals, but the worst part was that there really wasn't an ending. The only resolution was the identity of Beatrice, which everyone knew by then, and the death of the real hero.

I feel like this is pasta but I want to take it apart anyway.

>while the series's Monty was played a bit differently, he proved roughly an equal in the end
He was a poo that magically knew things and escaped without explanation.
That he would be killed so easily did not fit his character.

>series Poe is just much more entertaining
I found him to be more annoying, but to each his own.

>Warburton is a surprisingly perfect choice
He's only a good choice once you pretend it's just Patrick Warburton imparting the story on you instead of Lemony Snicket.

>NPH has a better script
This is HIGHLY inaccurate. The movie's script felt realistic and moved the plot along at a believable pace. The show, however, crammed too many things into itself and had the characters doing inexplicable things that felt completely out of character and broke immersion completely.

The End is kind of strange in the sense that it really does stand alone, in a sense.

Hotel Denouement just serves as the natural climax of the entire series. I can't see it any other way. Yet it's not the proper end of the series by far. I think the purpose of the island was to give us a chance to see the Baudelaires in a setting they finally have a leg up on Olaf, at least at the outset, while also exploring some new memorable characters like Friday and Ishmael.

I think it fits into the series, and the imagery of the IDV with the apple in the arboretum still gives me chills. I think it provides a natural conclusion to the series as Kit and Olaf die, giving us symbolic closure on the end of VFD as we saw it operate and the Baudelaires now know as much truth as they ever will.

>escaped without explanation.
He escaped from TWO OLD WOMEN
>That he would be killed so easily did not fit his character.
He was killed by Olaf, someone like him who was raised as a child to be a spy and basically trained as an assassin.

The rest of what you said is just opinions I disagree with.

>He escaped from TWO OLD WOMEN
Two old women who had him physically incapacitated in a sack that engulfed him completely.

>He was killed by Olaf, someone like him who was raised as a child to be a spy and basically trained as an assassin.
I mean that he would oh so casually stroll into the reptile room without checking his corners.
His character would not have done that at any point earlier in the story and it was a complete 180 in terms of behavior.

As the other user pointed out, despite the fact that Olaf is portrayed as goofy and incompetent most of the time, he is actually a treacherous villain, a phrase which here means, "capable of murdering even seasoned volunteers."

You seem to be missing my point entirely.
It's not about Olaf's ability or inability, it's about Monty's lack of awareness.
He hadn't displayed this trait for the entire time he was on screen.
All of a sudden he just doesn't give a fuck.

My biggest complaint is Josephine in general. I hate that she tried to be faithful to the kids when in reality if I remember correctly (and in the movie) she tried bargaining until the end to save her life.

Obviously fake but I wish this was real. It'd be cooler than the 2 episode per book thing that was already more or less confirmed

Why was Justice Strauss so annoying in the series?

Bad actress

I guess that fit her character then. Most of the people in it are bad actors though. The writing is pulling them through.

I was expecting aunt Jo to go HAM and beat the shit out of Olaf, if just for some top black power over white man banter

>Are babies heavy?
yeah

>Would a 14 year old girl's arms become tired rather quickly?

depends on the how feminine the aforementioned girl is female's hips separate in the act of giving birth and they dont quite come back together until months after birth this creates a bump on the hip where the baby kinda sits which is why moms usually carry them off to the side it also depends on what technique they use she often uses the double handed cradle which means to hold the baby in the arm like they're on a swing and put your other arm under the first one which equals out the weight distribution and a quick switch of the arm supporting the baby can give the tired one time to rest

source im an uncle of a very friendly baby

Not lore, but still good.

You mean Vessel For Disaccharides, right?

Every moment without an Olaf henchman on screen is wasted.

The squirrelly smile at the end was clever

I enjoy watching the shoe, like most people do. Hope you BBC addicts can handle it

>Evil paki
>requires a good paki to counter

Monty isnt bad, but it feels like he's just doing an impression of movie monty

>imagine those lips wrapped around your cock

I mean sure, but I would have a hard time not bursting into laughter when he asks me "Do you like that?"