/daily/ - "jordan peterson discussion only" edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

sprema.bandcamp.com/album/zalupa-ep
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/george-russell/electronic-sonata-for-souls-loved-by-nature-2/
hjemlengsel.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=T4FsWThMcLk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

all youtubers out

all daily posters out

Miriam Makeba - Miriam Makeba (1961)
>marabi, southern african folk music

This is fun and charming, but ultimately pretty thin and uninteresting. Makeba has personality and charm for days, her undying energy and ear for melodic singing make the most uninteresting songs danceable and fun as hell. The charm doesn't completely overpower the banality, however. There are some passionate folky pieces here, but a lot of this borders on novelty.
"One More Dance" is genuinely one of the worst songs I've heard in recent memory.

2.0+

Various Artists - Box of Dub: Dubstep and Future Dub (2007)
>dubstep

I thought "future dub" was just a cool name for "dubstep", a lot of this really is futuristic dub music. A lot of dubstep I listen to is so far removed from dub and 2-step themselves, so it's cool to hear the genres actual roots. This is probably the bassiest record I've ever heard in my life, on headphones it was bone-rattling, I can't imagine how cool it would be through speakers. Some tracks are lesser than others, the whole experience is really enjoyable.

3.0+

Sonic Youth - Goo (1990)
>alternative rock, noise rock

One thing that differentiates this from Sonic Youth's previous albums is the difference in attitude. The band's music has always been cool, but it usually seems so natural, and the music always has at least a little bit of a melancholic edge. This seems like it's putting on airs, a lot of the "coolness" seems really, really forced. The tunes themselves are pretty good. About half of it sounds like it's the band's major label debut, but the other half is more of the same good stuff that was on Daydream Nation. Kind of a mixed bag, still a pretty decent record.

2.5+

he's a mediocre self-help guru who has laughable views about women and poc (basically an incel jung) and the only people who like him are reactionaries to reactionaries, which makes them fall victim to the same sort of "post-modernist" irony that peterson detests

/peterson discussion

what is everyone listening to?

>basically an incel jung
>implying this isn't exactly what makes him great

I agree completely with your Miriam Makeba comments except for where you failed to mention how great Qongqothwane is. 3.5 anyway because I love charm

>Qongqothwane
YES! great track!

I still listen to that one like 7 yrs later but tbqh it’s the only one I ever put on anymore.

sprema.bandcamp.com/album/zalupa-ep

I like this a lot

p much

This is greag dude.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

hmm

how about instead of jordan peterson we discuss jordan peele because get out is GONNA WIN BEST PICTURE BOYOS

Boredoms - Super æ (1998)
>experimental rock, noise rock, psychedelic rock

I'll take this over Vision Creation Newsun, but just barely. I like this a lot because it still retains the band's previous noise rock sound. I definitely do think that Vision Creation Newsun can drag quite a bit, especially in it's lighter moments. This mostly cuts to the chase and goes straight to the jugular with epic, wall of sound noise rock that's just really, really pleasant to the ears. A lot of the tracks have super long intros that I could do without, other than that, bliss.

3.0+

Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog (1991)
>grunge, alternative rock

Mostly pretty generic grunge, elevated by Cornell's emotional vocal performances. He's the best thing about this, his normally guttural voice is toned down and made a lot more emotional and heartrending, especially considering that the band was formed as a tribute to Andrew Wood. I like the two big singles a decent bit too—"Say Hello 2 Heaven" and "Hunger Strike" are emotional, well-performed pieces of grunge. Outside of these positives, I could do without this.

2.0+

Mark Lanegan - Field Songs (2001)
>singer/songwriter, folk rock, acoustic rock, contemporary folk

Lanegan's solo work is really growing on me, dude is super consistent. He has a great voice, first and foremost, arguably my favorite voice of the grunge scene (tied with Cornell) and easily the most gruff and down-to-earth. His music fits his voice, really, really well. Whiskey for the Holy Ghost is very good, but still undoubtedly tied to the grunge scene. This completely removes Lanegan from grunge, and into a more folk-based direction that suits him really well. The instrumentation is a tad sterile, I really dig the album though.

3.0+

bump

>get out
No, the gay one should win

one of you fuckers was talking about hardees last thread like it's not straight up cafeteria food

i saw ladybird with my friends and it was a great time. i haven't seen any of the other ones, but i hope ladybird wins even though it won't.

i loved lady bird, i'm sad it's probably not gonna win anything :(

that piece of shit deserves to win nothing

i still need to watch all of the lasagnacat pipe strip video
goodnight

what is this?

gg

When, as a Christian apologist, you're losing Peter Hitchens...

drinkin pee spodyody

lol

why do they pit the . before the @

Lmao these are great. Post more if you have any

>literally "take a look y'all"

A tweet starting with @ just sends the tweet to the person and isn't on people's timeline. By putting a . in front of it it's addressed to the person but also everyone else can see it

wow cool

cool so considering my current living arrangments that adds another 70 minutes onto my commute. consider this going to happen a lot quicker.

need reccs from eto, crunch and ethy boy so far

forgot my image

real trad doom hours

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/george-russell/electronic-sonata-for-souls-loved-by-nature-2/

good call, already in my backlog

Oh nice. Ive had some noveltycondom-tailored picks lined up

>pic related

like what, monsieur?

Patience

well hope you win

This is real doom.
hjemlengsel.bandcamp.com/

real doom hours
youtube.com/watch?v=T4FsWThMcLk