Classical Music

GOAT pianist edition. Fuck Baroque music edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. is kill. rip Papillons
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. kill
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PLoX1ZJeeoQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pKRb9pCaB70
youtube.com/watch?v=bpwO6Ig0YpU
youtube.com/watch?v=fylxor4zo0w
youtube.com/watch?v=6j-qf5790T8
youtube.com/watch?v=kb-haKLpyUs
youtube.com/watch?v=2Bygq-SIUqA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump for classical

He looks like Oscar Wilde

Also, what is an avanteen I assume it's just a young person who listen to shit like John Zorn and freeform avant garde jazz to seem edgy

Chopin really is the best. Can't stop listening to this youtube.com/watch?v=PLoX1ZJeeoQ

What a shit OP

The GOAT pianist was a jazz player

its called "/classical/" dumbass

its called "/Petzold General/" dumbass

>not keith jarrett
ok then
t. David Foster Wallace

Suck my cock faggot

>erroll garner
>goat pianist
As a classical pianist who has studied for over twenty years...

...I agree with you. :3

What's the best place to start if someone wants to self teach themselves piano causally?
It's an at my own pace, in my free time kinda thing. I just don't know where to start

Real Beethoven Symphony Marathon hours... who up?
youtube.com/watch?v=pKRb9pCaB70

hot cross buns, then twinkle twinkle little star, then petzold’s minuet in G, then hungarian rhapsody no. 2

Unpopular opinions time. Post yours and discuss.

I'll start: Beethoven's 9th is overrated to the moon and back. Never got the hype at all.

tekashi 69 is good

You shouldn't be recommending Petzold to a newcomer. Petzold is serious business.

This is the most popular unpopular opinion I could think of.

I listened to that minuet and it seems easy as fuck.
Who's trolling who here?

That's not Art Tatum or Bill Evans
>Keith Jarrett
Please neck yourself

>bill evans
I know you're just saying that because you don't get the chance to talk about Jazz enough to know how silly that sounds, but com'n mate

Schoenberg is good

>that OP
yikes
gonna let this one die

I know this is wildly off topic and out of nowhere, but does anyone have any idea where I can find a recording of Ligeti's Rondeau - One-man theatre for an actor and tape (1976)?

>Schoenberg is good
>unpopular opinion
Really? Is this how low this board has stooped?

Late modernism and early postmodernism are the best period, period.

>1800: Premiere of the First Symphony
Beethoven defeats the celebrated Prussian piano virtuoso Daniel Steibelt in an improvisation contest at the palace of Prince Lobkowitz, and is never again asked to take part in an improvisation contest. His position as Vienna's greatest piano virtuoso is secure and remains unchallenged for the rest of his life.

The third and final round was the most important for testing the true genius of a performer. Each performer would sight-read a new piece written by the other performer. Steibelt went first, playing Beethoven’s brand new Piano Sonata in B Flat Major, Op. 22. He did well enough, garnering a good amount of applause after his improvisations. The Count claims to have seen Beethoven roll his eyes at the applause.Then Steinbelt tried to trip Beethoven up by giving him a new cello sonata, for cello and piano. This is a breach of the rules, technically, but Beethoven wasn’t about to win on a technicality. He took the score, turned it upside-down on the music rack, and sight-read it backward, then improvised on one of its themes for about 30 minutes.Steibelt was thoroughly destroyed, and didn’t wait for Beethoven to finish. He walked out and never met with Beethoven again.

I want to get into classical. Is this a good guide?

There is no good guide

>>>/jazz/

It's an acceptable chart, but skip the Reich. No one ever needs to hear Reich in their lifetime, if they can help it

>not Oscar Peterson

pretty please

Its an unopular opinion in general dummy

literally no postmodern academic music is good. Postmodernism isn't a date, its a modality, an attitude and a bad one at that.

Now THAT'S a shit opinion

Give an example of a good postmodern work. I guarantee it will be shit or else not especially postmodern.

>tell me what you like so I can say that I don't, because that proves something somehow

>muh pearls

Its a general. Post music, you sack of shit.

>pearls

jesus christ

t. common practice nusoycuck

youtube.com/watch?v=bpwO6Ig0YpU

Mozart is the Algebra of Western Art Music.

what would that imply exactly

Its barely okay, I suppose.

Berio vs Xenakis vs Penderecki vs Gorecki vs Ligeti: WHO WINS

>tell me what you like so I can say that I don't, because that proves something somehow
At least it was someone else fell for your cheap bait.

It's basic and boring to listen to and play, but it's important in the development of classical music.

>postmodern academic music
Those are polar opposites: Postmodernism as a movement was a reaction against the academic serialism of the early to mid 20th century.

Most movements are reactions agains the previous status quo, that doesn't mean it's not still academic music.

It was actually me sameflagging. I run this general, kiddo.

Gorecki immediately falls over because he has no legs - Berio stabs him.
Xenakis is busy fooling with the UPIC and looking at books on architecture and is splashed with acid by Penderecki. Xenakis screams as his "good side" is now just as bad and then dies in agony.
Berio and Ligeti get into a close quarters knife fight. Berio is wounded, but determined to kill ligeti so keeps coming
Meanwhile Penderecki is rigging up an elaborate acid trap, with color coded strings and trip wires.
Ligeti gets lucky and disembowels Berio - his guts spill everywhere and then Ligeti kicks the knife out of his hand and proceeds to choke him with his own intestines.

After finishing off Berio, Ligeti stands up to take in the situation.
Behind a massive contraption stands Penderecki, silently watching.
"Your opera was shitty" says Penderecki calmy
Ligeti gets out a hair dryer, determined to dry his lips to a level that will cause critical hygroscopy and thereby suck the moisture out of the air, and perhaps even out of Penderecki's body should it come in contact with the negatively-moisture charged lips.

Ligeti, satisfied his weaponized lips are ready begins to approach the contraption, and in the center of it, Penderecki.

Ligeti deftly avoids the first few trip wires but suddenly the color-coding and need to repeat small aleatoric movements overwhelms him and he triggers the contraption. Acid splashes from multiple directions and Ligeti screams, gurgling as his windpipe dissolves. Penderecki silently watches, the image of Ligeti's contorting figure reflecting on his glasses.

Finally Ligeti is nothing but a steaming pile of goop and bones suspended in the color coded contraption.
Penderecki walks away, humming a dissonant section of his requiem and spinning his cane.

10/10

this perfectly summarizes the musical cene of the 1960s

55-70 best scene

you already said that, Soygrug

No I didn't, but congrats on thinking of a witty and zany way of saying "soyboy", soyboy.

thinking 55-70 was the high point in musical dvelopment is something of a perfect storm of stupidity and emasculation

Sure thing, boy-o-matic!

i started by listening to tonnes of stuff on youtube and hand picking all the stuff that really appealed to me and downloading it using youtube to mp3 sites

This. Youtube will basically do all the work if you start listening there

How long have you been learning your instrument(s)/composition? I'm coming up to 10 years this May.

Just started

I'm 25.

~19 years

>got a guitare as a kid
>im trash and never dedicated enough time to learn much
>now as an adult with refined taste i just want to learn the cello or trombone anyway
feels bad man, i wish i had talent, and money for instruments

this is a perfect depiction of what it feels like to start out on an instrument

>really have to go to bed
>cant top listening
send help

watcha listenin' to anorino?

a bunch of stuff i guess, im pretty new to the whole classical music thing but ive accumulated a hand picked playlist with hours of music now and im just becoming more and more addicted to it

just checked my stats today and have so far composed 1:11:29 of quite dense material.

post some

all that matters is that you enjoy playing the instrument, at least if you are learning it as a hobby

Ay yo niggs I be learning classical music at a school for like 5-6 years and shieet and I dont even know the circle of fifths can someone explain to what I need to learn to write a full length symphony

>what I need to learn to write a full length symphony
Pretty much everything about composition. Melody, harmony, form, counterpoint, orchestration, the works. expect to spend at least 10 years learning about composition before even starting the symphony, then expect it to take about a year to write

how

romantiscism is the most overrated time period and 90% of all symphonies are shit

i bought a 300€ cello from thomann, and have been playing for around a year now, go for it user :3

First half of the 20th century mostly has great art music. It's more consistent and interesting than any of the periods before it.

phd

>not Jaki Byard

A symphony is a very complex musical form and you are still young. Perhaps you should start with something simpler, like a concerto

>Brendel Beethoven

why

there's so much wrong with that chart lol.

>No JS Bach
>3rd and 4th rate composers like Clements, reger, zemlinsky, Vanhal, Davies, Petrassi, in an "Abridged guide to the western canon"
>Actual greats from the canon neglected: No Palestrina, Josquin, Schoenberg, Palestrina, Strauss, Mahler, Bartok, or any of the good mid-late 20th century composers.

The chart is simply mislabeled: It should be "CLTs music he chose to try to seem cool on /classical/"

could be a troll chart

Nah he was pretty serious about defending it and updating it back when he still posted.

Some anons even edited it to include JS Bach after he left.

Jazz pianists are terrible, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=fylxor4zo0w

What's wrong with Brendel

>I can't listen to the real thing after hearing this.. amazing

Why was Chopin such a FUCKING CHAD

He's bland as fuck, holy shit.

I fell for the meme and bought pic related for 30€ without sampling it first. Let's hope it grows on me after a couple more listens. I miss Arrau, clicks and all.

Brendel really is awful, don't force yourself.

>bland
>awful
Expand.

I never heard his Beethoven piano sonatas but his concertos are great.

Here is a video.

youtube.com/watch?v=6j-qf5790T8

youtube.com/watch?v=kb-haKLpyUs
La Monte Young

Jesus, I love you for you user for this collection.

Mozart

youtube.com/watch?v=2Bygq-SIUqA