How come Sup Forums never talks about Marshmello? If you haven't heard him you should try him out...

How come Sup Forums never talks about Marshmello? If you haven't heard him you should try him out. He makes some of the most fun music out there atm, I can't even see how guys as jaded as you wouldn't like him.

youtube.com/watch?v=ALZHF5UqnU4&vl=en

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fSGtBqO1S0E
youtu.be/lIKHtHf19oQ
youtu.be/kyzIQKuSqBs
youtu.be/nvfqA7ycI8U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nice shilling for empty edm music

Isn't Marshmello sponsored by Disney or something?

user, the song I linked has 750000000 views. Dude's a bit past the need for shilling. Why do you think it's empty? What does that even mean?

"ritual" had a cool vocal part at the end but you'd have to give me every pill imaginable to sit through a mainstage set at Ultra. it's top 40 music filtered through fl studio effects

because he sucks

Nice bait, if you listened to anything other than entry level edm, you would understand how bland his music is. How many views he has doesn't magically make someones shitty music good

You guys are really bad at articulating why you dislike his music.
>bland
>entry level
>shitty
>he sucks
All of these points are hardly concrete criticisms of his music. What about it is so offensive to your ears that you can't find any enjoyment in it? It certainly has decent production at the very least, no one would call it amateur. Can you give me an example of edm that you would consider good and tell me a little what makes it good and what makes Marshmello bad in comparison?

hit a soft spot with you huh?

>edm
>good
There's your problem. If you want good electronic music you need to learn the basics. Go back to Kraftwerk and Eno kid

He sounds like the new Skrillex or deadmau5

Its so basic. There isn't anything about his music that makes it interesting to listen to. There's no substance in it. Its mass-produced corporate garbage to make a quick buck.

I'll tell you why his music doesn't jive with me.
It seems as though his target audience are middle schoolers who fantasize about being electronic musicians. That's fine, but it's such a ham-fisted concept that I just can't take it seriously.
Not to mention the blatant Deadmau5 rip off. Deadmau5 used to post here and at least his music was sort of interesting at the time. Marshmello offers absolutely nothing new to the table in terms of music OR image.

But if I was in 7th grade, I might like it.

lmao that music vid reminds me of what i would fantasize about when i was 13

it's terrible at conveying emotion, which is one of the main reasons music appeals to me. he sounds so overdone (you can go to any of the edm labels, ncs, monstercat, whatever the fuck) and find music that sounds just like him.

It has no subtlety at all. Just compare that bullshit ass song OP posted to actually good dance music:

youtube.com/watch?v=fSGtBqO1S0E

His fanbase comprises of middle schoolers who found his music through their favorite roblox server.
The Current EDM scene is just really bad, mostly kids, don't know how to dance, have giant festivals that need bright lights flashing every where to keep their attention.
Monstercat, No copyright sounds, and proximity are the same basic shit.
One day people will look back on it like we look at 90's eurodance and trance. dated and cheesy
youtu.be/lIKHtHf19oQ
youtu.be/kyzIQKuSqBs

I thought you said good dance music?
youtu.be/nvfqA7ycI8U

I try to be as least jaded as possible but I seriously don't get how people can like this shit

I love jungle and dnb but I can't picture myself dancing to it. I must be a basic bitch who only dances to house and techno...

literally the worst kind of normie-tier garbage.

>tfw this and shit like post malone is what 80% of australians listen to

Literally the worst thing I've heard this year.

OP you should seriously fucking kill yourself

OP here, I'll come clean. I don't actually like Marshmello's music, I actually really despise it but for some reason I'm unable to put into words exactly why. This is a problem for me with a lot of pop music that I don't like. I mean, it's easy to use buzzwords like calling music you don't like soulless and bland corporate trash but I'm not finding that a satisfactory reason. Does music being made without true passion make it necessarily bad?

I really just want to know what people who actually do like this music find so appealing in it. Is it really just the loud obnoxious noises and fun dance music? I hate to just call fans of this stuff plebs, but what are they seeing that we don't? Is it just their shit taste and they don't know any better? I know this is autistic but man, shit gets to me.

/end autistic blog rant and falseflag

i feel like this guy was put together in a business meeting at a record company and they were all "what if we had a deadmouse but less self aware and even more bland and forgettable"

>everyone is obligated to enumerate all the ways in which boring music is boring
pls

they're all junkies high on drugs - they'll listen to anything if their friends listen to it and it's easy to dance to

all 750 million of them though? If there's that many of them who like it then I can't help but feel like there's gotta be something that I'm missing with it. I can't see anything appealing in it but damn, I can't give a good reason for why it would be objectively bad either. I wish music wasn't so subjective. ;_;

>Does music being made without true passion make it necessarily bad?
The thing is, it's not as though he's even making it in a purely cynical way. He's probably genuinely into it and giving it everything he's got. It's more that it's just panders to people with no taste, who don't really want to listen to electronic music but just want to get wasted and find someone to fuck.

Competent production and attention to craft doesn't mean it has merit.

its called a "meme"
remember gangnam style was the first video to hit 1 billion views, but it doesnt make the song any less shit

You're not missing anything user. They're content listening to what they listen to and you should be content with listening what you listen to.

that was a fluke viral video, you can't equate everything that's popular to a viral video

you can still evaluate art and not just throw up your hands and declare that everything is by definition 100% subjective, rendering all further discussion meaningless

If you want to discuss bland pop music why come here rather than go to reddit or something? You said yourself you knew you wouldn't find people who like this shit here. I'm not saying "go away" but if you want to find out why people like this shit then you'll be hard pressed to find it here.

OP again, I was trying to find reasons for why people dislike it beyond the obvious ones. That's what was getting to me in the first place. It still feels like we're saying it's bad because we think it's bad. It's probably a lost cause to go deeper at this point. We could look at the musical structure and composition but that wouldn't do anything other than tell us what we already know.

that wasn't me, stupid

fundamentally it's functional music. it's for a purpose. it's not art, and it makes no attempt to be art, it's just an assemblage of cliches

no, its bad because its bland and generic music. Its just flavor of the month copycat of deadmau5. He will be forgotten within a few months or so, no one will remember him in a few years

Never heard of the guy until late 2017

No one cares you stupid fuck.

Just bland trash, not much else to say

i hate music that builds up to a drop like that its shit

bland, generic, and boring is the best yo're gonna get. It simply sounds like what everyone has heard before and doesn't do anything interesting with it. This problem of being boring happens with EDM so much specifically because of how poplular and saturated of a genre it is.

Everything has already been said. but I'll just say good for him creating a character kids can 'relate to' or whatever the fuck is happening there. Really set himself and his bland music from the pack

did deadmau5 make a new head or something?

To me it's just really textureless. Cool, there are the same basic drum effects and drumming patterns as in basically every other EDM song, the synth lead has an uninteresting and basic ass loop, but sits at the front of the soundstage. It carries an emotion in a way that feels incredibly cheesy and technically uninteresting, thus making the emotion itself unappealing.
It's just incredibly one-dimensional in approach; there's only one single way to enjoy that music and frankly that doesn't appeal to me.

Marshmallow is fucking terrible

Sleep-core EDM