How can a country be so devoid of musical talent?

How can a country be so devoid of musical talent?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IRFfPZQeJuo
youtube.com/watch?v=QFGvLkTzN-w
youtube.com/watch?v=DPC9erC5WqU
youtube.com/watch?v=KPMy08gFm3s
google.com/amp/s/overblown.co.uk/top-10-japanese-albums-of-2017/amp/
youtube.com/watch?v=fS_gF49i4k8
youtube.com/watch?v=37aTnqhY-pA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Great post OP.

Hmm

youtube.com/watch?v=IRFfPZQeJuo

cypress hill

>tfw the only korean music you can think of is from a korean DDR ripoff game

>phoneposting
>pol
spotted the underage faggot

DONT TALK SHIT ABOUT NEGATIVLAND

youtube.com/watch?v=QFGvLkTzN-w

wait a minute...

errmm ok sweetie y'all never heard of keith ape?
youtube.com/watch?v=DPC9erC5WqU

6ix9in is better desu

So actual serious answer tied to this vid. In the late 60s/early 70s a number of artists, particularly Shin Joong Hyun arose in popularity. This type of music was more psychedlic/rock oriented. At the same time, South Korea was ruled by a military dictatorship. As this music became more popular and replaced the more traditional Korean music, the government became concerned that the lyrics and artists were being subversive. It got to the point where record releases had to be approved by the government before they were issued. On top of this, the albums had to include a "wholesome song" as the last track. These songs were often propaganda pieces. One notable story which relates to this song is how the South Korean president requested that Shin Joong Hyun write a song praising him. Shin refused and instead wrote the song "Beautiful Rivers and Mountains" which was about the country itself. After this incident he was thrown in jail and then a mental institution and banned from performing. It wasn't until the South Korean president Park Chung Hee was assassinated that he was released and able to perform again. However, by then the music landscape changed drastically and more pop (non-rock) music dominated the radio.

TL:DR; South Korea had great music in the 60s/70s which was ruined by their government.

First: Dont ever call me sweetie again or I'll break your fucking neck. Second: That song does not help your case whatsoever. Off yourself.

Interesting read. Well at least now we know.

youtube.com/watch?v=KPMy08gFm3s

>kpop is the only music to come out of the entire country
I'd think the US only has shitty music too if all I heard was top 40 radio shit

Korea has a better indie scene at least in rap and rock compared to Japan, Japanese scene is dying and it's only well known because of weebs

I'm not even a weeb in the slightest but even I can acknowledge that Japan has and still is one of the best countries for music besides the US and UK.

kek 80s and early 2000s maybe the scene is dying now due to economy
and definitely not for rap/hiphop, language is absolutely garbage for it half the song needs to be in English to flow

Alright, I'll bite. What Korean albums do you suggest me to listen to? I'm open to any genre. What's an actual interesting modern Korean album that I should know about? As for you, you should catch up on the Japanese-scene yourself.

google.com/amp/s/overblown.co.uk/top-10-japanese-albums-of-2017/amp/

I'm Japanese, I'm only commenting because Japanese music scene is dying to the point where Korean shit (Mostly kpop but also hiphop) gets top10 in music chart and at restaurant you hear kshit more than jshit unless theres a big hit.
I don't listen to rap/hiphop myself but Japanese literally isn't capable of making decent rap (there are some good rappers but you will notice 20%+ lyric is English or have meh flow) but Koreans have really famous rappers
I think with the American style of rap (The mumbling style) there are some Japanese hitting it off but I don't see them very much

you do realize all those slave k-pop stars are still being forced to promote in japan, cause staying in their own country will never get enough $$$ due to their small and shitty industry

it's not, you're just not cool enough to be aware of good korean music

lmao

LOL no Korean music is being promoted here because Japanese refuse to listen to Jshit anymore. For example at my university every year there's stuff like danceoff/double dutch performance and more than 80% of submitted songs are Korean
J-idol and pop is considered old and otaku but kshit is considered trendy even in Japan. You can listen to more gook idols in restaurant than japanese idols

Fair enough. I wasnt talking about mainstream pop or hip-hop but underground music in general. If youre talking about cultural impact the Koreans got yall cucked without a doubt.

ya but if the mainstream isn't successful it kinda affects the indie too, there's way too much kshit on mainstream right now

youtube.com/watch?v=fS_gF49i4k8

youtube.com/watch?v=37aTnqhY-pA

>Korea has a better indie scene at least in rap and rock compared to Japan
Rap, maybe, I think Japanese don't care about rap too much (although Scha Dara Parr are pretty good), but rock? Korea better than Japan? I don't think so.

keep telling yourself that Anglocuck