Effective jump/non-jump scares in movies

ITT: Post your favourite and most effective scares in movies. Doesn't have to be a conventional scare. One of my favourite is the alien standing on the roof looking in at Mel in Signs. The low lighting and vague silhouette almost made me miss this the first time I watched the movie. That and there's nothing I find scarier than an unknown entity looking in at you through a window at night, especially from a distance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY
youtube.com/watch?v=2Wd-1WZ5W2I
youtu.be/pgYxydrVlDk?t=1m20s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I cant think of a specific one, but honestly, jump scares are rarely "good" They are usually overdone. I think they are better If they dont come with a loud music effect.

/r/ing that clip from that one movie where nothing is literally in the room then the door closes, but if you really look hard enough theres a transparent ghost in the other side of the room

I agree, I will always enjoy a more subtle scare. One that plays on your emotions and makes you question your safety by building a genuinely unsettling atmosphere. That being said sudden and loud jump scares are sometimes a necessity and can be enjoyed a lot too, i.e. The Lawnmower scene from sinister.

youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY

Also another of my favourites. It's really goofy when you look at it, some dude with a sheet on his head. But the slow quiet buildup, the fact that she literally locks the door a second prior and the urgency of the murderer. You know a scare is coming but it comes sooner than expected and catches you off guard.

OCEANS 12 IS SHIT

>I cant think of a specific one, but honestly, jump scares are rarely "good"
The thing blood test scene. The problem isn't with jumpscares themselves, its with the execution and build up.

Kurt russel is standing there holding a petri dish with an obviously fake hand as he touches the wire to each blood sample. You KNOW something is going to happen but the tension is so expertly ratcheted up that you're genuinely surprised when the blood turns into a monster and freaks out, even though the last minute of screen time had a flashing warning about the immanent jump scare.

VAMINOS

The alien showing up at the birthday party in signs absolutely traumatized me for weeks as a kid, I couldn't finish the movie until years after that.
The tall guy coming out of the darkness in It Follows was really good to. The fact that neither of these are really jump scares make them work very well.

The Bilbo jumpscare in Fellowship. It not only functions as a jumpscare but serves the purpose of revealing how the ring can corrupt and twist anybody that comes into contact with it, even an old loving hobbit. It familiarises the audience with the power and evil the ring possesses and helps you to understand why it needs to be destroyed.

Sinister was full of these semi-jump scare scenes that still scared the shit out of me
youtube.com/watch?v=2Wd-1WZ5W2I

>the balcony scene in The Conversation
>phoneclip scene in Lake Mungo
>slow mo to fast run to a close up in Inland Empire
>Matt Damon's character blowing up in Interstellar
>Mullholand Drive hobo in the back
>the first contact scene in Arrival where instead of a full on portrayal of the aliens we get a sudden loud jump cut to the decontamination chamber
>phone line screech in Fail-Safe

Thex work far better in non horror movies if they are executed right.

Oh man, the phone scene in lake Mongo, that completely caught me off guard because the film was nothing but hoaxes the whole time until the very end, really nicely pulled off.

hey buddy, i see you're lost in the air ducts

>Ridley scott counted the xenos screentime in frames
Seriously, alien is such an amazing movie.

Fellowship
Bilbo
You know what I mean.

Heart attack inducing

That part in Lost Highway where his gf's face changes to the mystery man. Spooked me a lot .

Also the face-warp in Inland Empire fucked me up good

The dream sequence in Hacksaw Ridge.

Pretty damn effective.

Slept in my parents bed that night. First scary movie I'd ever seen.

Also the dumpster man in Mulholland Drive

these are the worst jump scares. its just loud noise

i hate this shit so much. makes any movie unenjoyable.

He nailed what a nightmare feels like. Perfectly normal dream, then out of nowhere.

The part in Sinister where he holds the picture of the monster against the light to see, and when he pulls his hand down that same fucking creature is standing there looking at him.

gave me fucking goosebumps then and gives me it now when I think about it

youtu.be/pgYxydrVlDk?t=1m20s

skip to 1m20s

>signs birthday party
>duct scene in event horizon

Another scene that's cool but not jump scare would be the vivisection in House on Haunted Hill

>"There's a man in back of this place and he's the one doing it, I can see him through the wall"

Lynch captures that disjointed yet terrifying feeling of dream perfectly