The Downward Spiral and The Fragile came out in the 90's but they still sound like modern releases. How did he do it?

The Downward Spiral and The Fragile came out in the 90's but they still sound like modern releases. How did he do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=whVtrLrTWwE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I agree, but some contrarian productionfag is going to tell you otherwise, so be prepared.

He's just an extremely talented producer, and also influential which is probably the main reason it still sounds "modern"

Trent is super autistic about his music, and his reliance on physical instruments and analog synthesizers kept his music sounding fresh.

The production quality on "Closer" is nuts for 1994. It could easily pass for a new 2018 release.

Tears for Fears were also really good back in 1985, but their synth work sounds way more trapped in the time period.

*rips off trip-hop and EBM production tricks*

Closer is pretty nuts

Music hasn't really progressed since the 90s that much

>trip-hop
nope

>The Downward Spiral and The Fragile
Not even the best-produced albums to come out in those years.

Hip-Hop has, but that's about it. Everything else has been very incremental.

Homegenic sounds ripped off from NIN industrial-pop sound desu

>implying "modern" means "contemporary"
>implying the 90s are such a fairytale distant time of yore etc that it isn't contemporary anymore
Sheer teenagerness of your post

I can't think of a trip-hop release that doesn't sound firmly planted in the '90s with its production.

>I can't think
I'll agree to that, mongo

closer is a by the numbers trip-hop track buddy

"Incremental" even is a stretch

>Homogenic sounds like Trentcore crappop

1999 was almost 20 years ago. Not that 20 years is such a long time, but I remember in the 90s how I thought about the 70s and 80s.

Well you just keep on believing that boom bap beats and turntable scratches are cutting-edge production, Dummy.

70s music in retrospect aged much better than 80's stuff. Even in the 90's there were bands that had 70's production sounds to them.

>musical elements = production
????

>hating NIN's production
>likes Björk
be gone soyshit

I'd say it's devolving at this point

yes, those things make up the majority of the production process.

>

it really isn't, but please explain yoruself (if you can)

go read up on what you're discussing before posting next time, retard.

>elements equal production
You're legitimately braindead bruv.

i miss the cynicism

engineering sounds and implementing production techniques are all part of the production, you mouthbreather.

another way of saying
>music is just as shitty today as it was in the 90s
which is mostly true

Production also implies musicianship and not just the mastering and polishing of the recording process?

Nice to see you're one of those millennial revisionists. Enjoy your slick and hip trap beats, friendo.

>they still sound like modern releases
no they do not

>I don't have an argument so ur a soyboy!!

I never said it was all about mastering and recording. I've been saying the sounds and techniques fall under production this whole time, but you implied otherwise without giving your own definition. I don't listen to hip-hop, unlike you with your moody white people '90s hip-hop like Portishead.

Guitar solos are my favorite production technique.

Because unlike Shitty Puppy and Depeche Mode (both so embarassingly 80s, haha!) Trent is an artiste

that's a performance technique, but you knew that.

He's also a necklet.

The lead singer of Skinny Puppy called NIN cock rock.

I don't even know anyone who knows who Tront is.

>I don't listen to hip-hop, unlike

keep strawmanning everyone who doesn't like your amazing '90s hip-hop derived music as some trap rap-loving millenial.

>keep strawmanning everyone who [strawman]

90’s production that got a nigga fucked up:

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

Scott Walker - Tilt

Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do
All these still hold up great nowadays

just quoting what you said earlier. can't be easy following all these posts with your ADHD.

Source? You fucking liar. Trent and Nivek are friends, and iirc, they went to see Sigur Ros together years ago. cEvin is the only one that called NIN "Bruce Springsteen of industrial music", but that's it.

It was a long time ago, but it happened.

twasn't me but ok

Pretty hate machine sounds late 80's early 90's as fuck though

youtube.com/watch?v=whVtrLrTWwE

that was quick