When you realize that their name is not even ironic since every damn song on this album has a memorable hook

>When you realize that their name is not even ironic since every damn song on this album has a memorable hook

ayo this album is hot garbage

They picked that name because they initially wanted to be a poppier rock band.

>memorable hook
>must be pop
Really makes you think

t. pleb

sure, each song may have a hook, but most tracks they play it one time and then go into an anarcho-freejazz spaceout that bores most normies from finishing the LP

>he thinks he's hot shit for being into The Pop Group
lol.

Not really

Its decent, but if you’re looking for something with catchy hooks with great lyrics, that’s actually influential, listen to Pic-Related

>Crange juke
Fuck off, nigger.

>putting words in my mouth
you'd like that, wouldn't you, you massive faggot

One of the best albums I listened to last year. Likely in my top 10 if I were to ever get around to making a chart.

Oh yeah? You got Big Bouncy Balls don’t you kid? You are poisonous American Hitler Youth who has no idea how to form an opinion of you’re own, fucking Twat

>extraneous capitalizing of letters
read a book

I’m psychic, and I can tell how miserable you are in you’re everyday life. I’ll just leave you alone now, bye. Also being a grammar nazi is so 2007

>"is so ____"
t. soyboy

I had Y in my music library for years but never listened to it because I had really high expectations for it and wanted to save it for a time when I was craving something I had never heard before. I'm a huge fan of the more obtuse branch of post-punk like This Heat and early PiL, so I figured Y would be right up my alley. I finally let myself listen to it last fall and was pretty disappointed. Much like The Modern Dance, it's more or less Trout Mask Lite. Most songs sound similar to the one before: Funk-inspired bass and drum hooks with the same reverb-soaked vocals in every song and some mostly atonal sax, piano, or guitar sprinkled on top for good measure. Blood Money is nice, but the rest seems quite formulaic. I remember reading a review somewhere recently that described The Pop Group's formula as Funkadelic + Faust + Beefheart, which seems pretty accurate to me. I like all of those bands, and I do like Y as well, but it's just not original enough to be something I'd listen to more than once or twice a year. /blog

Yeah... that's what pop is. Retard

I feel a bit the same way, I really enjoy the album but only on a once-every-few-months full listen through. Even if it's formulaic, does it mean they had a bad formula? You seem to admit it isn't. I'm wary of how we can gauge 'originality'; the confluence of Funkadelic + Faust + Beefheart isn't really found anywhere else, no?

tl;dr, it's a once in a while LP, definitely not a daily (or I daresay, weekly) listen

how is this trout mask lite? because of the wacky vocals? the actual sound structure is completely different and not at all rooted in blues. its also not as fragmentic as early faust. the funkadelic comparison has some merit, but thats just funk in general.

I see where you’re coming from, user. Metal Box and This Heat’s S/T are top records for me so I feel like Y could grow on you with time...

I agree it is not a bad formula, and if I had heard this album before I got into Beefheart or PiL, it probably would have been one of my all time favorites. I think one thing that could have made the album much better is if then vocals weren't treated the same way in every song. I like how they are kind of disconnected from the music and the reverb is fine too, but they are treated the exact same way in every track and it just starts to drag after 15-20 minutes.